The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

this is a team that should contend for the division all season long and go deep again next spring.  

All in line with Roddy's interview of "Getting Better".  And the bar is now set at at higher level to start.  I was pretty excited after attending the draft party lat year.  This year will be off the charts.

• Like 1

The Ronnie Francis management era's benefit was to strengthen the team's prospects pool.  In MLB, team's minor league prospects are rated.  I don't know if they do that in hockey, and I can not say I know much about other team's prospects, but it would be hard to believe any other team has a deeper pool of prospects than the Canes do.  Besides having Ned to compete at goalie, they have 9 forwards who could realistically compete for a position on the Canes in the fall in Saarela, Kuokkanen, Necas, Geekie, Roy, Brown, Mattheos, Poturalski, and Gauthier.  In addition, they have 3 defensemen who could also, if the team was not so loaded on D in Bean, McKeown, and Carrick.

Wallmark, Foegle, and Saku made the jump this season.  Does that guarantee them spots on the roster this fall?  Well, probably Foegle does not have to worry so much.  The others had best take a look in the rear view mirror, because when Rod says the team has to get better, some very good young players are knocking on the door.  Roster spots are pretty assured for Nino, Aho, Staal, Turbo, Foegel, Svechnikov, Martinook, McGinn, and JW (if he resigns).  That is 8, and hopefully 9.  I don't see Ferland returning, and I don't know if they choose to resign McKegg if they want to open up roster spots for the prospects and/or a FA signing.  That would leave competition for 3 forward spots, including Saku and Wallmark in the mix.  

Looking forward to which prospects take the next step like Foegle did this season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I agree 100% with your statement.  RBA and most observers have said that this team doesnt have the skill to match cup contenders.  Although our young guys will get better, do we actually see money paid to add skill?  Its something we have heard we would do for the right person for about 10 years.  Also something we havent seen outside of an gross over payment for a Russian who will go unnamed for two more years. 

we'll just have to wait and see

LOL...who decided the statute of limitations on HWSNBM is 2 years before we can again start calling him by his real name?

Wonder what HWSNBN is up to these days? I have this vision of a hung over ex hockey player with an extreme beer belly and a tacky Russian prostitute sitting on each leg...kind of like Thor in Avengers Endgame!

49 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

LOL...who decided the statute of limitations on HWSNBM is 2 years before we can again start calling him by his real name?

Wonder what HWSNBN is up to these days? I have this vision of a hung over ex hockey player with an extreme beer belly and a tacky Russian prostitute sitting on each leg...kind of like Thor in Avengers Endgame!

Alternate captain for his KHL team.

9 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Although our young guys will get better, do we actually see money paid to add skill

I think paying money to keep skill--skill that has yet to peak--is the same thing.

TT, Aho, Ned, Wallmark, Foegele, and soon Bean, Necas, Geekie--again, we're not talking Drayson Bowman and Smurfy anymore.

I want a Cup as bad as the next guy, but if this team can get in every year and go deep in most of them, I'd be fine with that short-term, because in the longer term it could well mean we won't have to be content with just a Cup. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RickD_99 said:

41 points in 54 KHL games this year. 1 assist in 4 playoff games. 

One more thought: If you're a lifer who could be replaced next year like, say, McKegg (he's a UFA), the decision on whether to instead stay and agree to a two-way deal or test the market just got a lot easier. You want the shot at the payday, but for a Canadian grinder like McKegg, the chance for immortality has to factor in. Even if a kid wins his slot in camp, we decide to go bigger there with, say, Saku (who is also a center), McKegg's chances of getting his name on the Cup by staying here just went way, way up. 

With 41 regular-season NHL games in the Cup year or just ONE game in the playoffs, you can take your kids to the HOF and show them your name on the most recognized trophy in sports. And they can show their kids. 

A team that was center-starved three short years ago has suddenly become a place where even being a depth center is enticing. I think you if you traced a line from Manny Malhotra to Derek Ryan to McKegg, it would look a lot like Waddell's learning curve on their importance. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

41 points in 54 KHL games this year. 1 assist in 4 playoff games. 

Well you know we *could* use some extra offense...J/K we all saw enough of HWSNBN to realize that he is the very antithesis of a “Rod  Brind’Amour” type player...

2 hours ago, RickD_99 said:

Well you know we *could* use some extra offense...J/K we all saw enough of HWSNBN to realize that he is the very antithesis of a “Rod  Brind’Amour” type player...

So was #53?

15 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

A team that was center-starved three short years ago has suddenly become a place where even being a depth center is enticing. I think you if you traced a line from Manny Malhotra to Derek Ryan to McKegg, it would look a lot like Waddell's learning curve on their importance. 

Edited 14 hours ago by top-shelf-1

I really liked Manny while he was with us, and his face-off prowess was a tremendous asset, but I agree with your assessment. Another C to keep an eye on here is Morgan Geekie who appears to be making a statement this year in Charlotte. A little more size and he might be our new 4th line C?

Just realized that DeHaan's surgery is a 4-6 month rehab. 6 months is November. I get that guys usually come in on the low end, but still, that could have us needing or using a guy like Fleury or Bean, or other to start the year.

Just now, remkin said:

Just realized that DeHaan's surgery is a 4-6 month rehab. 6 months is November. I get that guys usually come in on the low end, but still, that could have us needing or using a guy like Fleury or Bean, or other to start the year.

DW said he expects TVR back for the start of camp.  I assume in a yellow jersey to start.  He did say that he expects CDH to miss some time.

22 minutes ago, remkin said:

Yeah, that's a bad break for such a good guy? Remind me what his injury was please, I forget. This could be Bean's big opening or Fleury if he can bring it?

If it's 4-6 months then my $$ is on a SLAP tear (labrum or rotator cuff)...have had that surgery on my left shoulder (and probably getting my right done later this summer)...it's a 4-6 month recovery.

14 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Yeah, that's a bad break for such a good guy? Remind me what his injury was please, I forget. This could be Bean's big opening or Fleury if he can bring it?

Something with a shoulder. Not aware of specifics though. He could be ready though, a lot of the time guys end up on the short side of the range. At first I was wondering if it might affect our trade thoughts, but we really have guys in the AHL that could step in from Fluery to Bean to McKeown to even Carrick. 

No one really commented on my hits chart, which I found interesting at least, it's in the middle of this page if interested: http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/24588-offseason-talk-2019/page/4/.

One of the main points was that essentially all new additions to last year's team were mostly our hits leaders. But I was a bit surprised to see that DeHaan was number 2 in hits, just under Ferland. 

11 minutes ago, remkin said:

No one really commented on my hits chart, which I found interesting at least, it's in the middle of this page if interested: http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/24588-offseason-talk-20

Had not in fact seen that rem, but as you comment, it's interesting? My one question is, there are hits and there are HITS, so I would ask of this stat, is there any subcategorization of say what truly are meaningful ones (as in separating player from puck or truly laying out the hitee) as I'm sure we've all seen hits where a player simply turns backwards into another almost as an afterthought and truly has no effect on play? Hamilton seems to do those often to my eye. As opposed say to McGinn who seems more intent on "meaningful" hits?

7 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Had not in fact seen that rem, but as you comment, it's interesting? My one question is, there are hits and there are HITS, so I would ask of this stat, is there any subcategorization of say what truly are meaningful ones (as in separating player from puck or truly laying out the hitee) as I'm sure we've all seen hits where a player simply turns backwards into another almost as an afterthought and truly has no effect on play? Hamilton seems to do those often to my eye. As opposed say to McGinn who seems more intent on "meaningful" hits?

Yeah, I've wondered about that too. As far as I know there is no official stat for bone rattling hits. That said, my guess is that the proprietary stats I keep going on about, that we are said to be using, probably do make a distinction. I can almost guarantee that there is a stat for hits that lead to turnovers. And probably hits that lead to danger chances. And probably some measure of "intimidation" hits. I don't know for sure as these things are proprietary and only a little is known, but that would be data we'd want. 

The entire idea of these proprietary stats is to find ways to measure player's impact way beyond traditional stats and beyond "advanced stats" by using direct observation of things players do that lead to goals or stop goals, and ultimately lead to winning. Big hits, especially ones that cause turnovers, or even lead to rushed plays have to count. 

Further indirect evidence: we are using these stats, nearly everyone we've brought in makes hits. Suggestive that this is part of those stats. Not proof, but suggestive.

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

If it's 4-6 months then my $$ is on a SLAP tear (labrum or rotator cuff)...have had that surgery on my left shoulder (and probably getting my right done later this summer)...it's a 4-6 month recovery.

It took me close to a year before I felt comfortable and confident.

Yeah, cuffs are tough. It only takes rolling onto the shoulder in your sleep to delay recovery considerably. I had a very minor tear which healed without surgery. Took a full six months. The tear is in the tendon, which is very slow to mend. 

Like the Islanders extended Brock Nelson, I wish Waddell would move forward with Sebastian, and not let that linger unless his agent is trying to gauge where his next salary falls. To me, this act of solidifying Aho's place and $$ would give fans an extra good feeling and help the organization map out better where it can go?

On 5/22/2019 at 9:49 AM, cc said:

All in line with Roddy's interview of "Getting Better".  And the bar is now set at at higher level to start.  I was pretty excited after attending the draft party lat year.  This year will be off the charts.

With the excitement of this team where it is now, imagine if we brought a couple big scorers on this summer(been saying that for 10years).  The feeling going into next season would be electric.  If we stay put with the line up I fear we will have an up and down year and maybe or maybe not squeak into the playoffs again.  We need a little new scoring blood added to this chemistry and heart team we have and we could be a top 5 in the east with no questions asked.   

Seems Rod will put the pressure on to add some skill and talent to the line up.  Now that he has proven himself hopefully the committee will listen to him and go after his targets this summer.