Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

13 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

lol, he really does, sing.

he ain't shy... I love it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Well the checkers loss the game but at least i got to see more of what alex brings  .   he did not do very well with letting in a few softies   . 

Yeah he totally sucked and was solely the reason for this loss.  I say trade him immediately, hes a lost cause.

sa

On 5/17/2019 at 1:03 AM, Kyrule said:

We need at least two good top 9 forwards. Maybe three if Ferland is gone and Williams is done.

What worries me is that HCRB praises Wallmark and McKegg quite a bit and he said recently that he doesn’t see McKegg going back down (he is now a full-time NHLer). I think Wallmark is a fourth-line center or an AHLer.

If our centers are Aho, Staal, Wallmark, and McKegg again that would worry me...a lot.

We need to find a significant upgrade at center, and we need to find a high-end winger.

Our forward group simply isn’t good enough. Too many fourth-liners and fringe NHL players, but we knew this already.

The good news is that we don’t have to worry about defense. We’ve shown that  we are close and now it is time to take more steps towards going for it.

I just pray this run doesn’t mean “we like our group” already.

I know this is way too early to be worrying about this, just throwing out initial thoughts to distract me from the sweep.

No to status quo with Wallmark McKegg.

18 minutes ago, cc said:

Yeah he totally sucked and was solely the reason for this loss.  I say trade him immediately, hes a lost cause.

sa

No need to trade ,  Ned is just streaky ,   He played really good in game 2  .  I just wonder what happened to him in game 3 . 

5 hours ago, Danimal38 said:

With the excitement of this team where it is now, imagine if we brought a couple big scorers on this summer(been saying that for 10years).  The feeling going into next season would be electric.  If we stay put with the line up I fear we will have an up and down year and maybe or maybe not squeak into the playoffs again.  We need a little new scoring blood added to this chemistry and heart team we have and we could be a top 5 in the east with no questions asked.   

Seems Rod will put the pressure on to add some skill and talent to the line up.  Now that he has proven himself hopefully the committee will listen to him and go after his targets this summer.  

I'm always on board with adding talent, but this year really does feel like the year to do it, in a wise way. By that I mean adding a proven guy with tread left on the tires who will upgrade the PP and third line scoring. As you say, Danimal, now is the perfect time to do it. This team is on the rise. Season ticket sales are way up. The trend on sales and excitement is peaking now. A big signing would bump that. I remember the excitement around J Williams signing and that was before this peak. What a time to show the fan base that the time is now. We are entering the start of a new era. 

Also, what a huge setback it would be to not make the playoffs and fall back right now. As always, teams at the bottom are working hard to get better. New Jersey will now have three elite forwards, NYR will add one too, Florida has designs to rocket up the standings by adding Panerin and Bob. Montreal was right there at the doorstep. Rod himself said this team could not have done any better with what it had, and that was to barely get in on the back of a run that left them exhausted by the ECF. 

IMO the weakness is third line center. But really offensively second line center (push J down to third). That one move, if done right, is all we need really. I do expect Aho, Slavin, TT to improve some, but I really expect Svech to improve a lot. I see serious production from him next year. I also expect Foegele to be more productive. His end of year and playoff scoring as a rookie, suggest he will be much more productive, maybe 15-20 goals and 35 points IMO. I also expect Necas to really push to make this team next year, but probably as a winger. 

So, with the improvements, and a solid, proven new 2C, we should be set for a good while.

7 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Like the Islanders extended Brock Nelson, I wish Waddell would move forward with Sebastian, and not let that linger unless his agent is trying to gauge where his next salary falls. To me, this act of solidifying Aho's place and $$ would give fans an extra good feeling and help the organization map out better where it can go?

I don't know if it's Waddell doing the negotiating.  Didn't TD hire a former agent to negotiate contracts?

On 5/18/2019 at 1:41 PM, Kyrule said:

Brindy said we overachieved so that is basically saying we are not on par with more talented teams.

To me this is the key that the whole committee agrees with this and makes moves to ensure we get better. Two more scoring threats and move players down to make four solid scoring lines. 

On 5/19/2019 at 9:33 AM, KJUNKANE said:

One quick thought here, as cruel as it might be, what a tone setter it would be if Brind'Amour would post 4-0 above the doorway entrance to the players' locker room? That could serve as a permanent reminder of that sinking feeling to end this past season? Business unfinished!!!!

That would be the ultimate negative wave. I think they all have good memories.

ne7pw.jpg

On 5/20/2019 at 12:00 PM, remkin said:

Not sure I've even mentioned Point before today Kjun. But I have today. Point's name comes up in the way Nylander or even Mitch Marner, because of cap issues and over-blessed teams on offense and being RFA's. 

So there has been the inevitable talk of offer sheets for guys like Marner and Point, which could mean they, or someone else on their team's roster could be trade bait. 

But mainly I'm establishing a level. Pesce is elite at stopping goals from happening. If we trade him, it should be for a guy who is elite at making goals. Point is probably more than Pesce could bring, but maybe Pesce-plus. 

The overriding point though is that it is likely that Pesce is close to unmovable because he's worth more to us than he'll return.

Cant see Tampa unloading a 23 yr old kid who put up 92 points. Stamkos is 28 and Point should be around well after Stamkos is gone.

9 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Cant see Tampa unloading a 23 yr old kid who put up 92 points. Stamkos is 28 and Point should be around well after Stamkos is gone.

I doubt it too. I'm pretty sure that he's been a topic of the "ever discussed rarely done, almost never accomplished" offer sheet, and the proposed strategy of forcing a trade that way. Also, Point has done so well that maybe he's priced out of Tampa who might finally be in a cap bind. Not likely, they'd probably trade McDonogh first (though he has a full NTC), but in the context of discussing ranges of players seemed at least worth throwing out there. 

On 5/21/2019 at 10:07 AM, sleekfeeder said:

I mean, do you let Mraz go? He seems like a heart and soul guy, but it is a business after all. I personally think he's good enough. Not elite, but good enough. But, if you factor in all the games McE won for us, Ned probably won't do as well, then we probably don't make the playoffs. I'm not sure what to do here. Maybe one of them will make the decision for us. This is certainly the most critical and difficult decision of the offseason. 

I'd extend offers to both quickly to see where their head is at. Offer Petr 4 mil for 3 years and Mac 1.5-2 mil for a year. Signing both would give Ned another year to prove consistency  and would be the call up for injuries to Mac or Petr. I'd be surprised if other teams would offer Mac more than 2 mil. Petr wanted the one year to prove himself and 4 mil is a nice raise. 

On 5/21/2019 at 11:37 AM, sleekfeeder said:

This is sad news. Bummer. Guy just has had a rough go at it.

And getting bought out in the near future is going to cause more stress. Hope he has a good support system in place.

1 minute ago, slapshot02 said:

I'd extend offers to both quickly to see where their head is at. Offer Petr 4 mil for 3 years and Mac 1.5-2 mil for a year. Signing both would give Ned another year to prove consistency  and would be the call up for injuries to Mac or Petr. I'd be surprised if other teams would offer Mac more than 2 mil. Petr wanted the one year to prove himself and 4 mil is a nice raise. 

Mac is on an incredibly depressing short list in our 22 years of existence of memorable backup goalies. I think he's also easy to bring back for a year, clearly a family man who made it a priority to get his family in the same state as him so I doubt he wants to move his kids. You might even get him signed for 1 mil if you're a cheapskate willing to gamble.

Petrs in his prime years where he would typically be getting his best contract of his career (whatever that may be). I agree on the 4 mil, but I could see him being a pain in the rear up to and including him testing the UFA waters to make sure he's getting the best he can get. Unless of course he's incredibly happy to be here and maximizing his money isn't his top priority.

51 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Game 5 .  checkers vs marlies , you know the drill !  

Thanks man.  Dude can finish his little karaoke break any time he wants, tho...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, realmdrakkar said:

Just finished up some ZZ top complete with in song commentary. Is this worth saving $7? Probably. Some commentary on the game over in the in the in the Canes system area.

4 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

In a close second for things that sound like nails on a chalkboard, the Checkers color guy. He's like listening to Ralph Wiggum give hockey analysis.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

In a close second for things that sound like nails on a chalkboard, the Checkers color guy. He's like listening to Ralph Wiggum give hockey analysis.

Beats Karaoke Hour.  I don't take well to karaoke...

• Like 1

AHL refs make a bad call, realize it and pull Bishop out of the box.

Wow, if only the NHL could be that accountable

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I don't know if it's Waddell doing the negotiating.  Didn't TD hire a former agent to negotiate contracts?

Yes but he reports to Waddell who reports to Dundon. I agree that this signing needs to be done right away. There are enough comparables out there to find the right number. The fan base and any free agents we might be interested in need to see we can get a deal done with a player that has been called the face of the franchise.

Checkers beat the Marlies 4-1. Of concern, Ned did not play. Tokarski, who I don’t believe is Canes’ property played the whole game and got the win. I thought some comments above about moving on from Ned were in jest. He was the AHL goalie of the year, right? Anyway, will be interesting to see if they go back to him in Game 6 or stick with Tokarski. Now I’m thinking we really do need to get Mrazek and Mac under contract. Barring a trade, I don’t see a lot of better options out there if Ned needs another year in Charlotte.

7 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Checkers beat the Marlies 4-1. Of concern, Ned did not play. Tokarski, who I don’t believe is Canes’ property played the whole game and got the win. I thought some comments above about moving on from Ned were in jest. He was the AHL goalie of the year, right? Anyway, will be interesting to see if they go back to him in Game 6 or stick with Tokarski. Now I’m thinking we really do need to get Mrazek and Mac under contract. Barring a trade, I don’t see a lot of better options out there if Ned needs another year in Charlotte.

It was a back to back, neither team used their starter for what it's worth. But Tokarski played way better all the same and it'll be interesting to see what Vellucci decides.

15 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Mac is on an incredibly depressing short list in our 22 years of existence of memorable backup goalies. I think he's also easy to bring back for a year, clearly a family man who made it a priority to get his family in the same state as him so I doubt he wants to move his kids. You might even get him signed for 1 mil if you're a cheapskate willing to gamble.

Petrs in his prime years where he would typically be getting his best contract of his career (whatever that may be). I agree on the 4 mil, but I could see him being a pain in the rear up to and including him testing the UFA waters to make sure he's getting the best he can get. Unless of course he's incredibly happy to be here and maximizing his money isn't his top priority.

I think Petr stays. He wanted to be a NO1 and he now has it. There is no guarentee he would be a NO1 elsewhere. Give him a nice raise and he stays....he likes Carolina.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Of concern, Ned did not play. Tokarski, who I don’t believe is Canes’ property played the whole game and got the win. I thought some comments above about moving on from Ned were in jest. He was th

Ned's single foray last year was successful, but I just do not have confidence in him? Wonder if it would be possible to leverage this kid Tokarski away from the Rangers, but I doubt it as Lundqvist is going downhill rapidly?

And slap, to me Petr, as good as he was performing there at the end, I just am not totally sold on his consistency? Wonder if we could make a play for Lehner?