The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Offseason Talk 2019

On 5/27/2019 at 8:05 AM, wxray1 said:

But, yeah, remkin...  Dundon made it known it was a committee.  Credit to the committee.  Not sure what DW's role was, but surely it is significant.  He clearly didn't veto the Nino trade -- a move that was critical to getting this team IN the playoffs.  So maybe, "First do no harm"?  We can start there with the praise.  Beyond that, unknown what the structure is of the decision making, and that may ultimately be a secret weapon of the team.  The smart NHL people said The Committee would be a disaster.  At least initially, it isn't.

I am thinking Waddell probably deserves more credit than I implied though. The word was that he wore down the Wild GM by staying on the Nino-Rask trade incessantly until he finally capitulated, and by sheer luck I actually ran into Waddell when he was picking up Martinook and he told me he was working on a trade. He had to be central to the mechanics of the big off season trade last year.

The Committee though set the tone that sure seemed to be set by Brind'Amour. The feel I get was that TD was the main man behind getting DeHaan, and of course approving all trades. The Skinner thing looked real bad, but I'm guessing Waddell really had his hand tied on that one. Brind'Amour and probably TD wanted Skinner gone before camp. And Skinner himself used his NTC to force Waddell into a bad negotiating position. He had to take what he could get. Of course in retrospect, that move looks better, especially as we are not now faced with the fan pressure to sign him to a big overpay, which IMO someone will. 

I guess my point is that the sample size is still not big enough to head into the off season with utter confidence that we have the GM of the year. Still, I'm also no longer fearful that we'll get taken, especially since our last trade we did the taking.

On 5/26/2019 at 10:51 AM, OBXer said:

I was wrong. Waddell has done a darn good job taking the Canes to the next step. My apologies Don, not that he cares or should care what I think.

It's easy to forget how that ownership *edit* show tied DW's hands, and it surely did. The comparatively rapid and sustained success of the franchise since it got the hell outta there says it all.

DW took a lot of heat, and the ownership escaped it, everywhere but in ATL--which, by the time it finally bailed, meant only the 13 or 14 remaining fans knew what really went down.

Edit to add: DW strikes me as a career hockey guy who went wherever the league asked him, and dealt with whatever crappy hand he was dealt. Nice to see a guy like that finally get some props.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

I dunno, I'm not participating in the parade just yet.

It's going to be harder this off season.  Expectations are higher  I'm behind the guy, but it only takes an unsigned Aho into August for our bunch to light the torches.

I have no clue what to expect as things start to roll in a coupe of weeks.  A lot depends on how much Dundon hates to lose.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

how Sara sees Fleury 

I like much of what i read from her, but she sees a very different Fleury than i see.  He was OK tonight, i thought.  Not great, but OK.

I was at the game tonight, and it looked like Fleury was on the Chex 3rd pairing. If that’s the case, why is he the guy we are calling up? Is it because he’s waiver exempt, or is management just trying to justify the high draft pick used to acquire him? It seems like Carrick and McKeown are relied on more heavily in Charlotte. Of course, this is the one and only Checkers game I have seen, so maybe I shouldn’t draw conclusions on such limited information.

5 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

I was at the game tonight, and it looked like Fleury was on the Chex 3rd pairing. If that’s the case, why is he the guy we are calling up? Is it because he’s waiver exempt, or is management just trying to justify the high draft pick used to acquire him? It seems like Carrick and McKeown are relied on more heavily in Charlotte. Of course, this is the one and only Checkers game I have seen, so maybe I shouldn’t draw conclusions on such limited information.

Darned if i know either.  I do still miss more games than i make it to here, but i have made it to a decent amount of games over the past 3 seasons and i've never seen where he was the go-to 'owns the AHL' guy.  To his credit, he wasn't the worst defenseman on the ice for the Chex tonight - i'd give that honor to Sanguinetti - but that's about the only prop i can give him.  He was the worst in the clinching game last Sunday, i thought.  Kid's still only 22 though so it isn't like his ship has sailed, but he's the one being given the chances - he really needs to cash in at some point.

4 hours ago, remkin said:

The guy who looks to me to be skating like he owns the AHL is Necas.

Kid still needs to put on a little weight, but he has some moves.  Of the usual names we drop concerning forward prospects, he's the one who impresses me the most.  Him, Bishop, and Geekie (who also needs a little more weight) are the big 3 forward-wise as far as i'm concerned.  Pottsy and Saarela put up more points, but then so did Boychuk and Terry and we know what happened (or didn't happen) with them - i'd love to be proven wrong but i think all 4 of them have about the same ceiling.  Necas tho...

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

Kid still needs to put on a little weight, but he has some moves.  Of the usual names we drop concerning forward prospects, he's the one who impresses me the most.  Him, Bishop, and Geekie (who also needs a little more weight) are the big 3 forward-wise as far as i'm concerned.  Pottsy and Saarela put up more points, but then so did Boychuk and Terry and we know what happened (or didn't happen) with them - i'd love to be proven wrong but i think all 4 of them have about the same ceiling.  Necas tho...

Geekie seems to be the guy that really turns it up in the playoffs.  I'm getting excited about him.

Where in the blue hell do people get the idea that the canes are going to offer sheet Marner ?  For one it's not going to happen and two  the canes dont need to do something stupid like that !  That is four  1st round picks !    Lets draw a hypothetical   okay ?  The Canes were to have a horrible season next year and ended up with the 1st over all pick next year ?  Because of the Offer sheet  the pick would go to Toronto and they would then be very happy to select Alexis Lafreniere !  

Just Say  No to OFFER SHEETS !

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

Is Gauthier a bust at this point?

I'm one dude, but he hasn't done anything to impress me yet.

Gauthier’s game has grown a lot since last year.  He still needs more consistency to be an NHLer. I wouldn’t call him a bust yet.  He was always going to be a long project.  I think next year is his make or break year. 

if there is one player where the Juniors rule was detrimental to a player’s development, it was Gauthier. The dude could push around anyone in Juniors and wasn’t challenged even at 18.  1 extra years in Juniors was awful for him.  Who in the heck advised him to stay in the QMJHL?  Too easy for a kid of his size.

On 6/2/2019 at 3:48 AM, remkin said:

The guy who looks to me to be skating like he owns the AHL is Necas.

Yikes, Rem I know you are a huge Necas fan but ranked 46 in forwards with 16 goals and 52 pts is far from owning the AHL. Necas can skate and is a very good play maker but the big club still needs a goal scorer. Necas has never been a huge goal scorer in his limited career. I think he might have a place for the big club but if the ORG is looking at him as a huge goal scorer for the future those chips may be misplaced.

Due to his skill and hockey IQ, Necas seems to be a player that makes the players around him better. The guy can skate, sees the ice very well, and has a knack for anticipating where the play is going. Also, he may benefit greatly by playing along side other swift highly skilled elite forwards; which is not the case in Charlotte. Is he a potential 30+ goal scorer? That remains to be seen; but I guarantee most of the GM's in the league would covet him as a prospect.

Warren Foegele  from this years playoffs  Has more points than any rookie  so far  , that could still change with robert thomas still or  connor clifton  or sammy blais if they end up scoring more points  in the last remaining games  .   But Foegele  holds the over all point total of 9 points  by edging the others out by  a few  points .    I wonder how many points Svechnikov would of had  if he  did not get knocked out  by ovechnkin. 

3 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Yikes, Rem I know you are a huge Necas fan but ranked 46 in forwards with 16 goals and 52 pts is far from owning the AHL. Necas can skate and is a very good play maker but the big club still needs a goal scorer. Necas has never been a huge goal scorer in his limited career. I think he might have a place for the big club but if the ORG is looking at him as a huge goal scorer for the future those chips may be misplaced.

Well I did say "skating" like he owns the AHL. The answer was in response to the Sara Civit quote about Fleury looking like the best player out there. To me Necas does in the way that I think Assistant GM's response gets to: fast as smooth, and can make plays at speed, but also sees the ice and sees the right play. He makes the cross seam passes, and finds guys open in less obvious ways that lead to grade A chances for the recipient. He can score goals and has throughout his career, but not the gaudy numbers of a sniper. He creates space, drives the D back, then filters a pass to the third guy most players would pass to, but who's wide open. He makes plays that other guys don't. 

Also, I'm a big believer in the rookie thing. That is, even in the AHL, it's harder for a rookie to score big points than a guy with at least one AHL year in. Also, at least in theory Europeans also have to adjust to a smaller ice surface and different style of play.  Necas was the #4 rookie in the AHL in assists, and #5 in goals despite missing 10 games. He was #7 in points per game for rookies with at least 50 games. He was #3 on the Checkers in both points and points per game. 

I think Necas can score goals, but he is largely a facilitator, I still don't see him as a 30 goal guy in the NHL, at least at this point. I see him as an all-around player with elite skating and playmaking skill. He creates offense from nothing, even if he isn't the guy to finish the play. Those guys are rare. I think he will be a star in the NHL in the vein of other playmaking forwards, say 20G, 50A type guy, with an even higher ceiling if he keeps improving.

Hey, I get it. I'm out there pumping the tires on him. I am a big fan. I see huge upside. I could be wrong. Lord knows I've missed on guys before. (I think I've gotten a few right too). But I think he will create a lot of NHL goals, even if he only puts 20-25 in himself. But time will tell. 

Even if Necas turns out to be a lower volume goal scorer, that may not diminish his value to the team. Case in point; Nik Backstrom has only scored 30 + goals in one season, and mid 20's a handful of times in a 12 year career. No doubt, he's been the Caps most important player besides Ovi over the past decade.

• Like 4

It's odd but I see the same needs as we had going into last season as the same needs that need to be addressed this off season. Of course the circumstance is far different Coming off a successful season makes decisions different. I'm not unhappy with the team as is but believe a team has to change and adjust to continue success.

Goalies, what to do,what to do. Both Mrazek and McE say they want to come back, the team says we would be happy to have you. Everything looks good until agents get involved. Priority one IMO is sign one or both. But then what about Ned. He looks ready. The talk about using 3 goalies since Ned can move back and forth between Charlotte and Raleigh is an option but really does a 3 goalie system really work. Then we have the elephant in the room. Can DW move Darling for a bad contract? I have seen speculation but odds are we buy him out and eat 4 years of cap money. None of this is worrisome, at least not yet. Worth watching just to see how it plays out.

A top six scoring forward, preferable a center. Wouldn't it be nice to have another proven puck distributing, goal scoring center.  Sandwiched between Aho and J would that makes us strong down the middle. You bet.

Something else worth watching is the Faulk extension. DW has said he will be begin negotiating. If he can't come to term I don't think we will wait. This would be the time to sign him or move him. It appears to me our preference is to sign him. I also think we want to get Bean in the D group. Of course he has to earn it but if Faulk is signed it allows us to look at moving Flurey. Now Fluery hasn't IMO exactly grabbed the blue line but he is a proven NHL Dman. He also will no longer be waiver exempt and I would think he would be gobbled up off waivers if we tried to send him down.He and Bean could fight it out for the last spot and  delay the decision until trade deadline. The fly in the ointment is the health of TVR and deHann. 

I think we also want to get Necas in the forward mix. Probable at wing. I have read that was the plan last season and I doubt that has changed, But where does he best fit.I won't be surprised to see Brown in the 4th line mix. McGinn is a keeper, Martinook is recovering from surgery. The two biggest questions might be will Ferland be signed. My hunch says no but both he and the team say they would like to work it out and of course Williams. JW isn't getting any younger. He hasn't shown any sign of slowing down but until he is signed the retirement option is a possibility. .Worth watching but  I hope and believe he has unfinished business and will be back.

Mostly I just have time on my hands this afternoon and am letting my mind wander. 

In the one Checkers game I saw (Saturday night), Necas played on the wing and not at center. I did not follow the Chex closely enough to know whether he played mostly wing or center for the whole year. But I suspect if he makes the Canes, he will play wing for at least a year as Aho did.

1 hour ago, bluedevilcane said:

In the one Checkers game I saw (Saturday night), Necas played on the wing and not at center. I did not follow the Chex closely enough to know whether he played mostly wing or center for the whole year. But I suspect if he makes the Canes, he will play wing for at least a year as Aho did.

He has mostly played wing since January.

14 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I take  it that it's meant for psychical development  ?

I think he already psychles the puck fine.

• Like 4