The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

19 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I really didn't see any indication that he was going to improve. There were no flashes of offense, and on defense, he was just kind of there. He looked like just another guy to me.

His value is low but it doesn’t make sense to ship out a capable low valued asset for a non need.

16 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Looks like Philly might be shopping Nolan Patrick.  Thoughts?

I feel that we got the better of the two Wheat Kings center but, in the 3rd round.

If Philly wanted Fleury and Ferland’s rights, I take Patrick. Maybe with a couple of solid wingers and about 13-15 minutes of ice time maybe he could get over 40 points.  His FO % is solid.

Nino-Aho-Turbo

Svech-Staal-Necas

Foegele-Patrick-Williams

Marty-Wally-Ginner

NHL Network  Just made a team comprised of who  they would  have  to make a team   based on the rfa's   This year . 

here is that world beater team . 

Rantanen  Point  Marner 

Tkachuk   Aho  Laine  

Connor   Karlsson  Boesser 

Konecny  Meier   Kapanen  

Provorov   McAvoy 

Werenski   Trouba 

Sanheim  Carlo  

Bennington 

Rittich  

8 years at 9 million per year for a 27 year-old player with a career high of 63 points and who brings zero intangibles/other attributes.

We signed a 24 year-old TT to a 5 year contract at 5.4 million per. TT had 64 points last season and 76 points this season and was +30.

Buffalo doing Buffalo things.

Imagine what guys like Marner and other high-end wingers are thinking.

💵💵💵💰💵💵💵

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

8 years at 9 million per year for a 27 year-old player with a career high of 63 points and who brings zero intangibles/other attributes.

We signed a 24 year-old TT to a 5 year contract at 5.4 million per. TT had 64 points last season and 76 points this season and was +30.

Buffalo doing Buffalo things.

Imagine what guys like Marner and other high-end wingers are thinking.

💵💵💵💰💵💵💵

Exactly ,  How long till  Eichle  request for a trade ? lmao 

6 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Jeff Skinner  just got an extension with buffalo for 8 years 72 million  , 9 million cap hit  LMAO 🤣🤣🤣😂😃😄😅🤣  Wow  

Well, they did give up Cliff Pu for him.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Jeff Skinner  just got an extension with buffalo for 8 years 72 million  , 9 million cap hit  LMAO 🤣🤣🤣😂😃😄😅🤣  Wow  

Although all are looking at this and breathing a sigh of relief as we've observed over the years what would APPEAR to be the ugly underbelly of this player (i.e. his frequent disappearances and his O>D game), I'll at least say one thing for Botterill, he got the deal as unpalatable as it sounds, DONE. Wish our GM would get Aho's done and then we'd have some type of idea what kind of player we might be able to afford?

I'd still love to have Skinner on this team despite all, but that's about twice what i would have paid as a GM to have him here.  Still wish him well but i'm happy for us to take our chances elsewhere.

So now there's the trickle down effect coming? How will this affect Aho's contract and several others awaiting new deals?

And sorry realm, I've got nothing against Skinner per se, but you've got to put him in context of RBA's team. Great to have a scorer but it still appears that Brind'Amour was key in the decision to pull that plug and get rid of him? As HC, he knows what type of locker room he wants, and the type of athlete. Saying that, who knows how this season would have turned out with an additional 40 goal scorer, but possibly a fragmented room? At least Waddell didn't have the headache of being outbid for Jeff's services?

I looked at my calendar, and saw I had a reminder to check on Skins on June 30th.  Since it happened, I can take this off my calendar.  Looks like Skins signed.  Just following up on my promise to document things properly.  😜

(I can't respond to the original posts since it is in a locked thread.)

skins4.JPG

Edited by wxray1

On 6/5/2019 at 11:52 AM, KJUNKANE said:

Reading Patrick Laine is making some negotiation noises? Would anyone see him possibly fitting in here, or with our right side filled, would that even be a consideration? He is an amazing talent though?

Talented player but has a lot of similarities to Skinner. Since skinner just got 9 mil, I'm not sure he is a fit here. Laine is a very streaky scorer and his D is suspect. SKINNER 2.0.

12 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

AND our move comes full circle. THIS was a big part of why we traded him. TD and Waddell saw that this was the end game. Yes, they were ready to move on for other reasons too, and I'm sure Brind'Amour thought Skinner was not the kind of veteran he wanted around as he changed the culture, but this was the end game. 

If he stayed, this would have been a distraction (note how his production fell off in the back half of the year, 4 goals in his last 21 games), but then, we'd have either had to sign him to this ugly deal, or deal with fans decrying el cheapo. We may have taken some Pu, but Buffalo ultimately got stuck with this contract. We'll see how that works out.

Skinner is a special talent, and he has it in him to be a "plus" player. I don't really mean in a strict plus/minus stat way, but that he has a net plus effect on winning. But he can also stop doing that stuff and start floating on the periphery for long stretches. He has been a part of a lot of losing. 

When Waddell talked about players who had grown up in the NHL and been a part of a lot of losing, Skinner's picture flashed. He now has 661 NHL games with zero playoff games. This is far from all his fault. But $9 million/year for 8 years? Whoa. I want to pay that kind of money to a guy who plays a 200 foot game (cough-Aho-cough). 

I miss Skinner's smile and his sizzle and when this team could not score he could score by himself. But when I want a guy like Mark Stone, I keep being told we can't spend that kind of money. Well Skinner got .5 million less than Stone. Give me Stone any day that ends in Y and Skinner at that money only in days that don't.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

AND our move comes full circle. THIS was a big part of why we traded him. TD and Waddell saw that this was the end game. Yes, they were ready to move on for other reasons too, and I'm sure Brind'Amour thought Skinner was not the kind of veteran he wanted around as he changed the culture, but this was the end game. 

If he stayed, this would have been a distraction (note how his production fell off in the back half of the year, 4 goals in his last 21 games), but then, we'd have either had to sign him to this ugly deal, or deal with fans decrying el cheapo. We may have taken some Pu, but Buffalo ultimately got stuck with this contract. We'll see how that works out.

Skinner is a special talent, and he has it in him to be a "plus" player. I don't really mean in a strict plus/minus stat way, but that he has a net plus effect on winning. But he can also stop doing that stuff and start floating on the periphery for long stretches. He has been a part of a lot of losing. 

When Waddell talked about players who had grown up in the NHL and been a part of a lot of losing, Skinner's picture flashed. He now has 661 NHL games with zero playoff games. This is far from all his fault. But $9 million/year for 8 years? Whoa. I want to pay that kind of money to a guy who plays a 200 foot game (cough-Aho-cough). 

I miss Skinner's smile and his sizzle and when this team could not score he could score by himself. But when I want a guy like Mark Stone, I keep being told we can't spend that kind of money. Well Skinner got .5 million less than Stone. Give me Stone any day that ends in Y and Skinner at that money only in days that don't.

I wasn't  against the idea of trading  skinner   at all .   I was against the idea of getting diminishing returns for him and Buffalo  has enough 1st round picks  to spare 1 of them at least and i thought we got hosed in the deal .  And yes I understand it's not entirely the fault of Don Waddell now  looking back at it since Skinner was signed to a contract here where he had  a  NMC  and  NTC    Thanks to the cancer that keeps on giving from  Rutherford  .  And the fact  Waddell has been out of the loop of being a gm   and other GM's were trying to take advantage of him and the canes   were a major factor .    The end result was due to happen regardless of what we wanted  .   Now Skinner is Buffalo's problem  till he turns 35 ?    with a 9 million dollar cap hit ?   geeez   We Dodged a Bullet there and then some  !    I recently   heard about  that interview with Brind'Amour  and  reading what he said  makes so much sense now  when looking back  at the last 9 years .  Perhaps  the Canes would have been better  if the management had  only listen  to Brind'Amour  all those  years ago then  maybe  the canes would have been cup champs   this year instead of   ECF  Finalists .      I truly wonder who he would of had the canes draft or at least   try and pick up in free agency  If they took Rod's  Opinion into account  instead of ignore him .    

Edited by Canesfanforever

7 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I looked at my calendar, and saw I had a reminder to check on Skins on June 30th.  Since it happened, I can take this off my calendar.  Looks like Skins signed.  Just following up on my promise to document things properly.  😜

(I can't respond to the original posts since it is in a locked thread.)

skins4.JPG

And I said he would sign with CLB. I was waaaaaaay off. 

• Like 1

XM guy just now said Carolina was going to be active in the offseason to get a top 6 forward. Said Hamilton, Pesce, Faulk available. Rumors, but he seemed to be in the know. Said we've been calling around.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, remkin said:

XM guy just now said Carolina was going to be active in the offseason to get a top 6 forward. Said Hamilton, Pesce, Faulk available. Rumors, but he seemed to be in the know. Said we've been calling around.

If we can only keep one, I’d say keep Pesce

• Like 2

I was thinking all available to see the potential return, but we only trade one of them most likely.

I wondered if Pesce complaining about ice time was gonna land em back on the trading block. His amazing contract and his play....we're still floating him? The committee likely doesn't like the lack of faith he exhibited is the only reason I could see still shopping him.

I think we could go with Bean or Fleury in the 6-7 slot and move TVR back to the right. That would make one of the RHD seem more expendable. But Brind'Amour sort of poo-pooed the whole left right D thing so who knows? Most likely we just realize we need more forward skill and you have to give to get. DeHaan coming off Surgery, Slavin not tradeable. The guys on the right just more moveable. The word was that basically all of the RHD being shopped, but probably only one if any actually moves.

3 hours ago, sleekfeeder said:

And I said he would sign with CLB. I was waaaaaaay off. 

I didn't have any idea what he would do, except share the suspicion many had that he'd want to be closer to home.  BUF fits that bill, but...  But what about them playoffs?

Maybe a cool $72M erases a lot of those concerns.

I gotta say...this off season is different. We have motivation to make aggressive moves (off season success and new owner) plus we have every opportunity to make things happen: picks, prospects, $$$, excess of NHL players....What will we do?! I CANT WAIT!

Another thing brought up in the discussion was that since the fans in Raleigh responded by a huge uptick in season tickets, ownership needs to reward that by really trying to improve and not being cheap.

• Like 2

Speaking of el-chepo, according to Sara Civ the team has sold 20,000 of those terribly made Jerk shirts and have grossed $500,000 in sales. Sold to every state and 17 countries, lol.  Times are changing fast my friends.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

If we can only keep one, I’d say keep Pesce

I agree, but we also need to keep either Hamilton or Faulk. We do need some O from the back end.