The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

Looking at this years UFA class; it' unlikely there will be interest in Panarin and Duchene from either side. However, the names that might get some traction are:

Matts Zucharello

Kevin Hayes

Anders Lee

Brock Nelson

All of them are pretty talented character players that should fit in well with RB's style of play, particularly Zucharello. It's imperative that we move at least one D over the summer; Toronto needs D, and is going to have to be active since they are in cap hell. Last off season, there was a lot of talk about Nylander; but now they have more serious $$ issues and maybe they are now motivated to make a move. And although it's not likely that they would consider moving Marner; we ought to put together a package and take a run. Worst case is they say no! But Kapanen could be their odd man out, and after Marner's contract, they might be more interested in a deal; perhaps including Kadri. I know, he can be a dirt bag; but he can play, and under control brings a physicality that we will lose when Ferland departs. And he can score! He's one of those guys you hate unless he plays for your team. Kapanen has a huge upside, and the #24 sweater is available. Heck, I have his Dad's old jersey and could bring it out of retirement. 

• Like 2

Mats Zuccarello BTW is the spelling, but just being facetious there. But he and Hayes are 2 I've had my eyes on for some time. To your suggestion on the Toronto deal, yes, since this past off season, it has always made sense that Canes and Maple Leafs should be trade partners, but guess it just wasn't in the cards. Perhaps this off season sees some traction there? But please, we just do not need a Kadri type, too much like Marchand and he's a true puke?

On another note, I sadly agree on Ferland although I was on his bandwagon for the longest. Just do not know where that went wrong, but so long and thanks for the 1st half of the year. Sure would have loved your presence in playoffs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Mats Zuccarello BTW is the spelling, but just being facetious there. But he and Hayes are 2 I've had my eyes on for some time. To your suggestion on the Toronto deal, yes, since this past off season, it has always made sense that Canes and Maple Leafs should be trade partners, but guess it just wasn't in the cards. Perhaps this off season sees some traction there? But please, we just do not need a Kadri type, too much like Marchand and he's a true puke?

I see your trepidation with that kajun and I know many will disagree with me here,but if trading for a 25 goal scoring puke is what gets us to hoist Lord Stanley sign me up. Again everyone hates Marchand and rightfully so, but if he can stay inside the lines look what he can do. Guy totally and utterly threw our Captain off his game, whom we needed to be clutch during the playoffs. All players have downsides including this one. I just hate to think teams now think they may be able to take liberties with Ferland gone. Now if we think there would be personality conflicts or locker room issues then NO. But clearly he can be effective.

Edited by sleekfeeder

I'm holding off an opinion on Ferland until I know exactly what his injury status was over the course of the year.  If he did have an injury that explains his relative disappearance, I then look at the medical projections going forward.  It's still possible that I extend him an offer, but long term / big money contracts like we were discussing earlier in the year are off the table given questions about his durability going forward.  I get that he will (and should) look to get as much as he can in free agency, but interested teams are going to have the same concerns we have.  Gotta believe he lost big $$ by not re-upping early this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AssistantGM said:

But Kapanen could be their odd man out, and after Marner's contract, they might be more interested in a deal; perhaps including Kadri. I know, he can be a dirt bag; but he can play, and under control brings a physicality that we will lose when Ferland departs. And he can score!

Hell no to Kadri.  He’s an undisciplined punk!  Don’t give a damn if he can score, so can Malkin, and I don’t want him on our team even if JR gave us his first rounder as well!

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

But he and Hayes are 2 I've had my eyes on for some time. 

Zuc is definitely a driving playmaker, but I think he might re-up with Dallas,

as the rumors out here is that they’re quietly pushing after him hard to re-sign.

Hayes?  I just don’t know.  He’s appeared to be hit and miss so many seasons now, that I have my reservations.

I think our days with Ferland are over. There sure seemed to be some bad blood at the end, and maybe even before that. In terms of me wanting him, I'd still be ok with him on the team, but not for what I'm assuming he'd command. The way I could see it, is if his value has fallen way back, but he and his agent don't realize it, and he's one of those guys that doesn't get signed in the first several days to week. He finds himself still out there without a seat when the music stops and starts lowering the price, and we take another look.

To me Ferland is best as the thumper and finisher on the top line. He's actually quite effective in that role and it should allow us to construct better lines below that one. But IMO you can't pay that guy like a star player. He's an above average role player. And he would need to be paid that way. The other thing is that I'm just so tired of this team getting hosed by NTC's, and players having a big upper hand (Fox) on their movement. Heck Ferland is a veteran and a UFA, he has a right to demand a NTC, but if so, it's another reason to pass on him.

Also, IMO, Boston showed us that what we lack still at the highest levels are skilled playmakers. Ferland is not that. 

There just seem to be so many reasons this doesn't happen. It wouldn't be a stunner if we sign him, but it would be still pretty surprising to me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

The other thing is that I'm just so tired of this team getting hosed by NTC's, and players having a big upper hand (Fox) on their movement.

You can thank JR for fostering the NTC culture that we’re finally coming out of. And you’re spot on with the Fox situation, and that needs to be rectified with the next CBA.

3 hours ago, remkin said:

I think our days with Ferland are over. There sure seemed to be some bad blood at the end, and maybe even before that. In terms of me wanting him, I'd still be ok with him on the team, but not for what I'm assuming he'd command. The way I could see it, is if his value has fallen way back, but he and his agent don't realize it, and he's one of those guys that doesn't get signed in the first several days to week. He finds himself still out there without a seat when the music stops and starts lowering the price, and we take another look.

To me Ferland is best as the thumper and finisher on the top line. He's actually quite effective in that role and it should allow us to construct better lines below that one. But IMO you can't pay that guy like a star player. He's an above average role player. And he would need to be paid that way. The other thing is that I'm just so tired of this team getting hosed by NTC's, and players having a big upper hand (Fox) on their movement. Heck Ferland is a veteran and a UFA, he has a right to demand a NTC, but if so, it's another reason to pass on him.

Also, IMO, Boston showed us that what we lack still at the highest levels are skilled playmakers. Ferland is not that. 

There just seem to be so many reasons this doesn't happen. It wouldn't be a stunner if we sign him, but it would be still pretty surprising to me.

I'm right there with you on Ferland, but just it seems a little further along. Since we'll never know the true extent of any injury, it's going to have to be based on a sound medical opinion, and I'll guarantee you all (and you know this too rem) that no physician will guarantee an operative result. I mean they'd be foolish to and have an investment like this will be turn sour. My fear, as far as longevity is concerned, is that Ferland has abused his body greatly, and frankly who knows is his terminal swoon was due to injury, bad blood as you say or combination of both? As much as I felt so strongly earlier about keeping him, I've cooled to that. Isn't Roy ar Gautier about ready to take up this banner? I know there was so much hope for either back a ways, but as I recall, the Goat was said to be too slow? Can't that be remedied by one of these skating coach gurus, like that female the team brought in several years ago in preseason?

I think Ferland lost a lot of money the way his second half of the season played out. I don’t see him coming back even if his price drops. His early success came playing with Aho and Turbo, and his offensive production pretty much died once he was taken off their line. I think he might have some bad will about that. When he was out during the Caps series (I think), I remember Tripp talking about Svech, Marty and Ferland coming back, and saying something like he would not put Ferland back in the lineup even if he was cleared to play. It was one quick comment, but I thought he was saying Ferland might be a detriment to the team due to attitude or similar issues.

9 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

I think Ferland lost a lot of money the way his second half of the season played out. I don’t see him coming back even if his price drops. His early success came playing with Aho and Turbo, and his offensive production pretty much died once he was taken off their line. I think he might have some bad will about that. When he was out during the Caps series (I think), I remember Tripp talking about Svech, Marty and Ferland coming back, and saying something like he would not put Ferland back in the lineup even if he was cleared to play. It was one quick comment, but I thought he was saying Ferland might be a detriment to the team due to attitude or similar issues.

Ferland is a one hit wonder .  It sucks that the canes are unable to get anything for him but clearing up some space or a potential spot  for someone else is not a bad trade off . 

I see a number 1/2 center as a huge piece that could help. Brock Nelson (although he annoyed us in round 2) would be perfect. Big body that scores and plays a two way game. This would help even out our lines. Making some assumptions here but:

TT - Aho - Svech

Foegele - Nelson - Nino

Marty - Staal - Williams

Mcginn - Walmark - Saku

This of course assumes Williams resigns. Im pretty happy with these lines. As long as Foegs and Nino dont let up off last season Id be very happy with these lines. 

If Necas wants to make the team it would be as a call up or  hed have to earn it like Foegs did last year. And honestly I think that is how RB wants to coach the team

anyway. You better work your !&$! off if you want it. 

Realistically tho I think we will be forced to trade for some higher end talent. I just hope they really go aggressive this off season. 2006 and 2009 we have a bright future then nothing happens. Cant go through that again. 

What do we do at goal? I think thats the big question. I say we see what Petr wants and if its reasonable, do it. If not look elsewhere. He played great for a long period and I love his emotion but if we have Ned as his backup (which I think we have to or we lose him) Im going to have a little less confidence in our goal than this year. They were a tandem not a real 1-2. If we are going to have a rookie backup I want a stud starter. We havent had a good backup like Curtis in 13 years and it sure was nice. I dont want to regress!

Cant wait for DW to start making those phone calls and The Canes showing up in rumors again now that the season is over!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cane-addict-1 said:

What do we do at goal? I think thats the big question. I say we see what Petr wants and if its reasonable, do it. If not look elsewhere. He played great for a long period and I love his emotion but if we have Ned as his backup (which I think we have to or we lose him) Im going to have a little less confidence in our goal than this year. They were a tandem not a real 1-2. If we are going to have a rookie backup I want a stud starter. We havent had a good backup like Curtis in 13 years and it sure was nice. I dont want to regress!

There's the real issue. I've read and intuitively it makes sense that part of our tandem's success was the fact that the 2 were 180 degrees different in their style. Nedeljovic's style is in ways a mirror image of Mrazek's, thus if they wind up as our tandem, then basically an opposing team has to only scheme for one type of goalie style. Yet, we all are aware of Curtis' age, so what do you do? Personally, I loved Petr's inspirational play and fieriness but his history is somewhat like his play, unstable and unpredictable. Apparently he did similar for the Red Wings,so the question looms, Did he turn the corner, perhaps under Bales' and McElhinney's tutelage or will he revert back? There's no easy answer here because this organization has suffered too long from subpar goaltending. Further, as much as anyone it would seem on here, I was enamored with Petr's play over the last few months, however listening to John Forslund on the After Math Thursday night, on the way home after Gm.4, he was a little luke warm on the goalie subject. This got me thinking that the organization may be less sold on Myazek than we on this board seem to be? IDK, the goalie situation continues to loom large here. I believe Lehner from Islanders is a UFA? Perhaps he should be a consideration? 

Edited by KJUNKANE

Mrazek was fairly ‘okay’ for the year. Then for 2 months he was a top 10 goalie.  

Although this leadership group doesnt care, they’d take a heap of scrutiny not keeping Mrazek. 

At the same time highly skeptical at Mrazek being a #1 / repeating the last 2 months regularly. McE was our better starter for most of the season.  At the same time can McE repeat the same performance?

If Ned is truly our starter then he needs to be walked into starting.  Getting 40-50% of the starts next season.  McE would be a solid backup for him in that scenario.

it is a gamble, if Mrazek goes and carries another squad but McE/Ned struggle.  If we sign Mrazek to a long deal and he struggles then, we are hurt ourselves long term.

So why not see if BigMac would be ok with a 2-way next season...gives us options

29 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

So why not see if BigMac would be ok with a 2-way next season...gives us options

Can't see that working.  First off, why would he go that route given that after his performance this season it's likely several teams would love to have him as their NHL backup?  And, I don't know that the 2-way would even come into play as I'm guessing he'd almost assuredly be claimed if we sent him down.   This is going to be a very interesting decision by the committee.

Edited by LakeLivin

Forgive my ignorance, but doesn’t a two-way mean you can go up and down at will without the normal waiver process?

27 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Forgive my ignorance, but doesn’t a two-way mean you can go up and down at will without the normal waiver process?

Also means two different salaries with potentially making less, potentially more travel, and potentially lesser benefits.

29 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Not players but part of the team

As much as we malign Tripp, he is a solid pairing for John and it’d be a complete crock if both of them were let go.  I understand the Kaiton move, as simulcasting the tv feed is waaaay cheaper and more efficient.

39 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

For the most part, yes. From what I have been able to glean from the CBA, UFAs are free to negotiate whatever contract they can get with whichever teams they choose. RFAs must be offered a one-way qualifying offer if they played a certain number of games (for goalies, if they dressed for that number of games) over a given time span, but they're free to sign any contract, even a two-way.

The rub is the service limits. Since McElhinney is waaaaay over 25, he's more then met the service requirements for eligibility for "regular waivers". That would mean, one-way contract or two-way, he'd have to be exposed to waivers before the Hurricanes could send him down.

It's possible, if I'm reading the CBA article on waivers correctly, that if McE signed a two-way contract with the Hurricanes, the first year he'd be waiver exempt (that is, in 2019-2020, he wouldn't have to clear waivers), but would be eligible in 2020-21. I don't know whether this rule means a player 25+ years old signing his first SPC or not. I do know McE has enough years of service to be eligible for regular waivers in most situations.

Edited by JonKerfoot
Read CBA more closely - again.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

McE is going to have lots of options as somebody’s backup. And with a pay increase, not a 2 way deal. I’d love to keep him as our 1B, but I think it is true that we have to fish or cut bait with Ned at this point. Like Mrazek, it’s my impression that he won in Charlotte early in the year with lots of offensive support, but came on strong in the last half of the year. He was goalie of the year in the AHL, so what else has he got to prove there? Unfortunately, that probably means there’s no spot for Curtis. Do we sign Mrazek or find someone else? I’d feel a whole lot better about Mrazek if we did have a proven veteran like McE to be our 1B because he hasn’t shown consistency from year to year in his career, and he did well enough this year to command a big raise and probably at least three years. I’d love to see him back, but am a little nervous what he could deliver with a rookie backup and likely needing to play a lot more than 50 games. I don’t pretend I have the right answer but working this out correctly probably decides our success next year, so Waddell and company hopefully have a plan. Have to trust them because they have been spot on with most decisions so far. I will say if Ned is the backup, it would be great to pick up a Leighton type guy with NHL experience for Charlotte to turn to if Ned turns out not to be ready.

• Like 1

Also, we all talk about the need for a scorer...Jeff Skinner is a UFA.

I’ll show myself out ;)

F96DE42C-8867-4191-BC8F-4F95FA73CA1E.gif

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Two-way is a reference to differing pay based on which level you are playing at. I would offer Big Mac a 1 way contract, he earned that this year, even if I thought I might have to send him down and he would clear waivers.