The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

5 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Guys, Lehner’s agents have publicly stated he wants to remain with NYI.  We’d be better off with Griess.

On Lehner, I'm just saying what I'd like. BUT I don't know what NY is planning to do. We and Mrazek publicly stated we wanted each other for a while there too. Greis is older at 33 with one more year left. But if NY has to pay Lehner, maybe.....I just doubt they trade him with one year left at 33 years old. But Greiss would work if we could get him.

I would bet that the NYI re-sign Lehner. That is the most likely thing. But I'd take him if we somehow found a way.

I just want us to shoot higher than another reclamation project like Talbot. (Now watch us get him and he's this year's Mrazek again). 

2 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

He didn't want to worry about it.

The team collectively burying their heads in the sand isn’t a comforting thing 

11 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

The team collectively burying their heads in the sand isn’t a comforting thing 

How does the "Serenity Prayer" go?  Might be the best thing for the players not to get too bent out of shape about things they can't control. Now, management on the other hand . . .

34 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Frank Seravalli speculating that we may move Faulk at the draft if he asks for too much during the initial extension talks.

no surprise

Same thing happened at the draft last year with Lindholm.  Talks didn't go well, traded the next day.

I typed out a fairly long post yesterday and ultimately decided to not post.  I think the Goalie situation has got me a little concerned.  There can't be that many teams looking for a #1 goalie: Calgary, Buffalo?, NYI, Philadelphia, Carolina, Columbus, Edmonton?.  There are probably a few teams that aren't happy about their current starter?: Florida, Chicago, LA?.  There are 2 big name UFA's out there: Lehner, Bobrovsky and a handful of goalies who probably think they are #1's (and probably will be): Varlamov, Mrazek, Talbot, Elliott.  Then you have all the rest (probably back-ups at best): Smith?, Ward, Miller, Pickard, Stolarz, McIntyre, Johnson, Kincaid.  History says we're picking from the bottom of the second group: Elliott or the top of the third group: Smith? unless something crazy happens and some team with a current #1 signs Bob and unloads their current #1 (thinking someone like Toronto (who doesn't have the cap space but anyway) or Chicago or Rangers (who are probably thinking "rebuild" so why drop a bunch on goalie this year?)) or some team (Vegas, Florida) unloads their #1 for cap space.

Hopefully it all works out but I sure don't see an obvious way for us to improve.  Bob to Philly and Lehner to NYI seems most obvious.  Varly to Buffalo or Calgary or Edmonton.  Mrazek and Talbot to the other 2.

7 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

We could also find a starter for one year then have a backup on a multi year deal.  I don’t see V fitting in either scenario.

I believe Ned joins the Canes this year at backup at least. He's achieved all he can at the AHL level and he's an RFA. We ask guys to perform and tell them they'll be rewarded. Ned has learned how to win. If we plan to commit, circumstances have conspired to make this the time to do it. 

I think Varlamov will get a four-year deal somewhere, on the understanding that he's the #1 this year and after that he's whatever he's told he is. Giving him 50 games this year and Ned the rest, then splitting the workload in 20-21, then working Ned into the majority during the last two years of Varly's deal would give Ned a great mentor, and Booth/Helvig time to steep.

The problem with trading Faulk with one year left and salary concerns: see Jeff Skinner, return on trade. 

Welp I'll be leaving and out of town for a couple of days including the draft. I'll try to poke in here though. 

Things are setting up to be potentially interesting. Not just with our top 3 picks in a draft probably deep enough to get some really good players at the top of the second round, but seemingly a little more likely we might make a deal than most years. 

Salary cap low. We have tons of picks and prospects. We have tons of cap space. We've let our goalies walk. We've said we will be and have been rumored to be active. 

I guess the GM's are having their meetings right now. Always a chance for Waddell to make a deal with another GM. 

I'm nervous that the committee, having struck gold twice in one season with washed up and waivered goalies tries to roll those dice again. And I'm nervous that they move Faulk for small returns. But I am excited at the possibility of better things happening too.

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

The problem with trading Faulk with one year left and salary concerns: see Jeff Skinner, return on trade. 

Agree.  But one big difference is that Faulk has a modified NTC as compared to Skinner's full NTC.  I've got to believe that while those factors do significantly lower Faulk's trade value, the fact that he can only rule out half the league means that the Canes wouldn't be Pu'd on in a trade.   

3 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Agree.  But one big difference is that Faulk has a modified NTC as compared to Skinner's full NTC.  I've got to believe that while those factors do significantly lower Faulk's trade value, the fact that he can only rule out half the league means that the Canes wouldn't be Pu'd on in a trade.   

Probably not Pu, but not what we need either. See also Adam Fox and the whole Jacob Trouba return for Winnipeg. Just need to get good return on the D for O thing if we do it. Maybe somewhere between Pu for Skinner and Nino for Rask.

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

Probably not Pu, but not what we need either. See also Adam Fox and the whole Jacob Trouba return for Winnipeg. Just need to get good return on the D for O thing if we do it. Maybe somewhere between Pu for Skinner and Nino for Rask.

I believe somewhere in the middle would be referred to as a "hockey trade".  :P

Edited by LakeLivin

2 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Oilers are saying they’re willing to move down from #8

hmmmmm

See my Fleury/Prospect/our pick for Pulju and their pick proposal. Maybe not enough on our end? Don't really want Puljujarvi, but do want their pick! 

Hahahah

Rumors flying that Marner was offered 8x $11M and turned it down!

Apparently, he wants less term...and more per year.

Hahahah

Interesting because listening to Friedman, he speculates the cap will stay low for two more years, then, with the new TV deal, pop up in year 3. Would some guys want a shorter term thinking to catch the wave 3-4 years out? Maybe Marner.

Makes a guy like Ehlers, locked up for 6 more years at $6 mill look even better.

Hahahah

I saw where he wanted 11.5 but only for 5 years. Toronto came back with if you want 11.5 you need to sign for 8.

From Pro Hockey Rumors today:

... Frank Seravalli of TSN reports that Carolina GM Don Waddell is “getting calls left and right” on their right-handed group, especially Brett Pesce who the Hurricanes do not want to trade.

...The Hurricanes are in a prime position as the draft approaches. The team found success on the ice this season, but still have four picks in the first two rounds and plenty of cap space to play with. Add in an overflowing prospect pool and more quality NHL defensemen than they can ice on any given night, and Waddell could have the rest of the league eating out of the palm of his hand on Friday night.

• Like 2