The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

18 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

So what are the chances Ward is coming back?  Why do I have a feeling he is coming back?

Zilch!!

I doubt he even finds work this year after his last season.

I would however like for him to do a sign and retire here.

Edited by legend-1

Here's to hoping my phone lights up tonight with some big trade news for the Canes and maybe news that Mrazek signed with us.  

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

So what are the chances Ward is coming back?  Why do I have a feeling he is coming back?

1) VERY slim.  The only way I could see Ward back here is as a 1 year true backup to a clear, proven #1 (i.e., Bob).  And probably on a 2-way contract, with the understanding that a big part of his responsibility would be mentoring our young goalies, both here and in Charlotte.

2) Because you process things differently than most people.  Based on the 6 years I've been on these boards your default appears to be negativity (at least when it comes to hockey) , and you project the worst case scenario far more often than most others.   I'm really not trying to bust on you here, just pointing out that you're wired differently than most people on this board.

Edited by LakeLivin

10 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Justin's ask might not be acceptable by Canes but it would be hard to attract players if Canes continue to shop every pending RFA or a player with 1 year left on his current contract.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Does he have some type of movement restriction, or am I remembering wrong?

Yup, he names 15 teams he's willing to be traded to, every July 1. Took effect last summer.

He's clearly wanting us to choose between him and Doug. Eeeeeasy choice.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Justin's ask might not be acceptable by Canes but it would be hard to attract players if Canes continue to shop every pending RFA or a player with 1 year left on his current contract.

We've been shopping Faulk since we got Dougie. It's the worst-kept secret in the NHL.

Edit to add: Also, unfortunately, he's the most overrated (supposedly) offensive d-man in the league. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

3 hours ago, Kyrule said:

It’s not like any other FA’s want to come here.

That may have been true last year (although I have my doubts). Regardless, I don't think it's true anymore.

Guys play this game for one reason: To get a ring. They couldn't care less who they're playing for when they get it.

On Faulk, he seems to be a good teammate and well liked in the locker room. Also, he did appear to have some sort of reclaimation last year, but I personally cannot count the number of times he fumbled the puck and lost control of it or worse. So much that I honestly thought he needed glasses? No, the choice between Hamilton and Faulk is easy for me. It will also be interesting if he goes, and Hamilton is inserted on PP1, as many called for during the year, to see how things shape up?

“TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reports the team is shopping Justin Faulk following a morning meeting with his representation regarding an extension that didn't go well.”

1C959899-975C-4AED-ADBD-6F35C79420BB.gif

3ED055FD-E8E2-4A4E-8B1E-AD460B439E6B.gif

Newcomer to this forum. Really enjoy the knowledgeable folks here.

I guess I'm in the minority on this one. I thought Faulk's play was strong the second half and play-offs and took off when he was paired with Pesce. He is one of our few tough defenders and frequently made it tough on opposing forwards around the net. Sure, he made gaffs from time-to-time, but nothing compared to Dougie. Hamilton can get away with it because he drives the offence so well. I would be happiest to keep the core group of D, Faulk, Slavin, Pesce and Hamilton, heading into next season. They all contributed offensively and made our goalies better. The thought of any of these folks leaving and having neither of our goalies locked up is very concerning. Also, I'm not so bullish on our defence prospects as most. Fleury is a work-in-progress, good potential but not ready to carry a big load yet (evidence the lack of confidence Brindy showed in the play-offs), Mckeown seems close but has no NHL experience, and Bean oozes potential but needs to bulk up and gain more experience in the "A" before he can assume a full-time spot. 

I like to think that the rumours we are hearing about our issues trying to sign any of Mrazak, McElhinny, Faulk, Ferland and Aho are just that and that cooler heads will prevail, allowing us to work deals with the key folks here, at least. We have lots of prospects and draft picks to trade. That should be our focus for deals. Why let walk our key UFAs or trade strong contributors to our success last year. We made good progress last year and were looking to add to that group. So far, the signs are pointing in another direction.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Well I think we do need a goalie coach.

• Like 1

If the talk between Faulk (his agent)  and the team didn't go well then a trade is the smart move. It has very little to do with his play.

29 minutes ago, CanesTR said:

Newcomer to this forum.

Welcome to the board. Your first post was well thought out.  Keep posting.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, CanesTR said:

Newcomer to this forum. Really enjoy the knowledgeable folks here.

I guess I'm in the minority on this one. I thought Faulk's play was strong the second half and play-offs and took off when he was paired with Pesce. He is one of our few tough defenders and frequently made it tough on opposing forwards around the net. Sure, he made gaffs from time-to-time, but nothing compared to Dougie. Hamilton can get away with it because he drives the offence so well. I would be happiest to keep the core group of D, Faulk, Slavin, Pesce and Hamilton, heading into next season. They all contributed offensively and made our goalies better. The thought of any of these folks leaving and having neither of our goalies locked up is very concerning. Also, I'm not so bullish on our defence prospects as most. Fleury is a work-in-progress, good potential but not ready to carry a big load yet (evidence the lack of confidence Brindy showed in the play-offs), Mckeown seems close but has no NHL experience, and Bean oozes potential but needs to bulk up and gain more experience in the "A" before he can assume a full-time spot. 

I like to think that the rumours we are hearing about our issues trying to sign any of Mrazak, McElhinny, Faulk, Ferland and Aho are just that and that cooler heads will prevail, allowing us to work deals with the key folks here, at least. We have lots of prospects and draft picks to trade. That should be our focus for deals. Why let walk our key UFAs or trade strong contributors to our success last year. We made good progress last year and were looking to add to that group. So far, the signs are pointing in another direction.

Welcome!

Thanks, OBXer. 

Agree we should move him if no deal to be made. It's early days in the negotiations. The media is glomming onto anything interesting. Have to fill Twitter!  Now, word is Aho is on the block. Silly stuff.

13 minutes ago, CanesTR said:

Now, word is Aho is on the block. Silly stuff.

That was an Ek rumor so I don't pay much attention to it. Still I was hoping we would have Aho wrapped up by now. No worries yet

7 minutes ago, OBXer said:

That was an Ek rumor so I don't pay much attention to it. Still I was hoping we would have Aho wrapped up by now. No worries yet

EK rumors are not concerning, but if it is true that we only offered $6M per for 8 years, Aho will not be here long.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

EK rumors are not concerning, but if it is true that we only offered $6M per for 8 years, Aho will not be here long.

Frankly speaking after TT got $5.4 mil or something like that it is hard to imagine $9 mil for Aho

Edited by Bonivan

26 minutes ago, OBXer said:

The rumor was posted on Hockey Buzz but was attributed to Kypreos on XM. Don’t know who he is and I can’t believe there’s anything to it, but like last year, it does not seem we can get anyone signed. Are they all unreasonable? Aho, Faulk, Mrazek, McE ? This is concerning.