The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

Just now, spyglass88 said:

Elliott Friedman just tweeted that Subban is NOT going to the Leafs. 

I was gonna say...if he does go there, then there’s ZERO chance they re

up Marner and some of their other RFA’s

Just now, cane-addict-1 said:

Doesnt he have a NMC? So he agreed to come here. 

Because he probably knows we’re gonna buy him out and he can go back to the Shark Tank

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

. . .

On Aho, I suspect he will end up around just under 8-mil AAV.

I was thinking just over $8m up to $8.5m for a longer term deal (Draisaitl = $8.5 x 8). 

My fear is that Aho's agent is piggybacking Marner's ask, which is reportedly in the range of $10.5 x 5.  Too much $, especially for a shorter term.  When I look at the big picture I'm ok with the Canes negotiating, as long as the negotiation doesn't turn particularly contentious.  Sure we want to get Aho signed as soon as possible, but I suspect the committee is looking not only at our small market budget, but also at the effect Aho's contract might have on the rest of the team when it comes to contracts, past as well as future.  To wit, could a $10m+ AAV Aho contract leave players like Turbo, Slavin and Pesce feeling like fools for recently signing great, long term team friendly deals?  And if not now, you can bet it would effect future negotiations.  Look at the Leafs when it comes to knock on effects after giving Tavares and Matthews big money.  Gotta believe that contributed to the difficulties in reaching an agreement with Nylander, as well as Marner's "outsized" ask right now.

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

Because he probably knows we’re gonna buy him out and he can go back to the Shark Tank

Im sorry. But if we pay 6.25 million for a first rounder.... Theres no one who would do that. 

Capfriendly says Marleau HAS a NMC. So he must have agreed to come here. But why? Thinking that this is more about getting the 1st round pick than about Marleau. Probably more to come. 

Just now, cane-addict-1 said:

Im sorry. But if we pay 6.25 million for a first rounder.... Theres no one who would do that. 

Can we trade him to the Sharks or something? If we are buying him out Im beyond confused. 

1 minute ago, cane-addict-1 said:

Can we trade him to the Sharks or something? If we are buying him out Im beyond confused. 

Here's to hoping this is "doing the leaf's a solid" to facilitate "THE MOVE"😁

Edited by sleekfeeder

Capfriendly says Marleau HAS a NMC. So he must have agreed to come here. But why? Thinking that this is more about getting the 1st round pick than about Marleau. Probably more to come. 

Him paired with J Willy on the geriatric line? 

Thought: trade him and pick/prospect to Sharks for sign & trade of Pavelski or Nyquist?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

SJ is cap strapped. If he doesnt play here and wants to go there we could trade him to them and retain part of his salary... question is who would we want/get from them?

• Like 2

If I'm reading Capfriendly right, the buyout calculator says that it will cost us $833,333 for Marleau's contract. But maybe I'm reading this wrong? Not sure what "post-buyout earnings" means, but that's 3.8 million.

Edited by spyglass88

1 minute ago, spyglass88 said:

If I'm reading Capfriendly right, the buyout calculator says that it will cost us $833,333 for Marleau's contract. But maybe I'm reading this wrong?

Cost to buy him out is 833333 because of his actual salary at 2/3rds.  We still owe all the other signing bonus money 

Subban to the Debbils official!

2 2nds, a few prospects none of us have heard of...and the Metro is gonna be a damn bloodbath AGAIN next season!

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

Cost to buy him out is 833333 because of his actual salary at 2/3rds.  We still owe all the other signing bonus money 

So 3.8 million for Leaf's 1st round pick if we buy Marleau out?

So 3.8 million for Leaf's 1st round pick if we buy Marleau out?

That could be a steal if they get a top 10 pick next season, and suck in 2021, cause we would then get their 21

pick no matter what.

Still think this is the first part of a bigger deal.

Agree...