The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

Guys, the more I look at this trade the more I think DW may have just one-upped his robbery trade of the Wild 

35 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

Doesnt he have a NMC? So he agreed to come here. 

33 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Because he probably knows we’re gonna buy him out and he can go back to the Shark Tank

17 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

So 3.8 million for Leaf's 1st round pick if we buy Marleau out?

That's basically how I see it. Leafs do get $6.25m in cap relief, which has a huge value to them as they try to sign Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson, etc.  SJ is the team seemingly getting a freebie. I wonder if there's an unofficial "future considerations" agreement from them to the Canes?

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

Just now, cc said:

Things just got a lot more interesting .  

Even if this isn’t prelude to something bigger, I think this could ultimately be a robbery of a trade if we hang onto all the assets in the long run.  And I still think Toronto won’t get a Cup...

Scenarios:

1. Marleau stays. We get a center and a 1st and 7th. WE WIN THAT TRADE!

2. Marleau "refuses to play" whatever that means and we buy him out. ie we pay $3 mil for a 1st/6th. WE LOSE THAT TRADE. 

3. Marleau "refuses to play" and we trade him to SJ while retaining some salary...UNDETERMINED

21 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Scenario one isn’t helpful for us. He is slow and lacks production.

He provides leadership and more goals than Wallmark. Buys us a year while we wait for Necas to develop into a center. 

• Like 1

Canes basically bought a 1st round pick (top 10 protected) for the cost of the Marleau buy-out and cap hit.  The cap hit probably does not affect any Canes' signings, so they are gambling on Toronto being in the 11 - 20 range in next year's draft.  Not that bad an idea.

They traded down with their 2nd pick in the 2nd round with Ottawa and added a 3rd rounder.  They could have had Hoaglander or Lavoie, so they obviously had no interest.

22 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Scenario one isn’t helpful for us. He is slow and lacks production.

Am I the only one concerned TD paid $3mil or whatever the buyout amount is for a 1st that may or may not turn into anything?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cane-addict-1 said:

He provides leadership and more goals than Wallmark. Buys us a year while we wait for Necas to develop into a center. 

He will never put on a Canes sweater.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beboplar said:

They traded down with their 2nd pick in the 2nd round with Ottawa and added a 3rd rounder.  They could have had Hoaglander or Lavoie, so they obviously had no interest.

😡 Dumb trade, IMO.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

So we trade a 6th and pay a player way past his prime to no longer play here and get a first because of it?

F**K YAH!

And we also helped Toronto to free up cap space. I'd better ask for Kapanen to get Marleau's contract

1 minute ago, Bonivan said:

And we also helped Toronto to free up cap space. I'd better ask for Kapanen to get Marleau's contract

Whether he stays or goes, I think the value of that first will far outweigh the $$ we pay to either keep him or buy him out

• Like 3

I was thinking there was a limit on the number of buyouts a team could have at a time but I can't find anything on it (we've still got HWSNBN and presumably would add Darling and Marleau).  But maybe it's the max of 3 players with retained salary I'm thinking of, not a limit on the number of buyouts a team can have?    

Sorry guys. So MY understanding is we get TORs first next year. BUT if they get to pick in the top ten (ie they are horrible next year) we get their pick the following year instead. So in all likelihood we get a 20-31st pick that cost us $3 million? If thats the case that seems stupid to me.... some of you seem to be stating we get a TOP TEN PICK. I need help here. 

9 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

Except Necas is two years away from playing full time center.

Marleau is trending down and Wallmark up. Marleau as a center for us is a negative value not a positive one.

5 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

Sorry guys. So MY understanding is we get TORs first next year. BUT if they get to pick in the top ten (ie they are horrible next year) we get their pick the following year instead. So in all likelihood we get a 20-31st pick that cost us $3 million? If thats the case that seems stupid to me.... some of you seem to be stating we get a TOP TEN PICK. I need help here. 

I think they’re gonna salary cap themselves into perennial suckitude starting next season

10 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Except Necas is two years away from playing full time center.

Marleau is trending down and Wallmark up. Marleau as a center for us is a negative value not a positive one.

19 minutes ago, beboplar said:

He will never put on a Canes sweater.

Gotta go with what Bebo said. Pretty sure Marleau said he'd retire before going to a team other than the Sharks, so I've got to believe he ok'd a deal to Canes with the understanding he'd be bought out.

Edited by LakeLivin

12 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

If the Leafs get a top-10 pick next year, then the Hurricanes get their 2021 first-rounder, no matter the position.

It's a calculated gamble. The Hurricanes are counting on the Leafs sucking for at least two years. maybe. Regardless of when the Hurricanes get that pick, they will have two first-rounders either next draft or the one after. *Then* they'll be in a position to package one or both to move up in the draft....

Edited by JonKerfoot

I’m trying to file this from my phone so I’m not sure about the second trade-down thing. But if I understand this correctly will end up with a mid or late round first next year rather than an early second this year. That I love. I really don’t care about the money.

For what it’s worth next years draft is supposed to be the deepest of the deep.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

If the Leafs get a top-10 pick next year, then the Hurricanes get their 2021 first-rounder, no matter the position.

It's a calculated gamble. The Hurricanes are counting on the Leafs sucking for at least two years. maybe. Regardless of when the Hurricanes get that pick, they will have two first-rounders either next draft or the one after. *Then* they'll be in a position to package one or both to move up in the draft....

:rofl:  I see what you did there!