The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

4 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

San Jose blogger on HB is saying especially with the lowered cap, they don’t really have room for Marleau at any price, and that the majority of posts on social media are against him coming back. Of course, management may think otherwise. But if they don’t want him and he refuses to play for the Hurricanes, what does that mean for our cap? Wouldn’t he just be suspended without pay? Or maybe he decides to play here after all. I want JWilly to come back, and I’m not sure we really want to field a team with 2 39 year old players on it. Plus it blocks someone from moving up from Charlotte. I’ll bet he does get bought out and goes back to San Jose, but there are other possibilities.

the idea is if he cant go to san jose  , he would then go to anahiem .  and thats sorta close enough to his family who all moved back to cali . 

4 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I haven’t seen that from a reliable source, LeBrun said his agent is taking calls to lineup potential suitors. 

Duchene  has a house in nashville ,  he loves country music .   and he likes the city of nashville .    Duchene  would get one good look at raleigh  say   SEE YA !   Raleigh  let alone North Carolina is nothing like nashville  / tenn 

Just wondering when things are going to start popping again. And in what order? I'm imagining DW's job is a lot like mine (and maybe the majority of us), in that I can almost never plan a day out as a chaotic factor seems to always interrupt it? I wonder about Waddell and the "committee" thing. Is it still operative, and if so, should another GM call in, does he shuttle calls off to another on the committee? Or does he field them all, and then convene the group? On the other hand, that all may have died down now? Glimpses at the trade table surely looked as if Dundon was right there taking it all in. Just rambling here, kind of like tapping my fingers?

6 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Raleigh  let alone North Carolina is nothing like nashville  / tenn 

I would expect they are more closely related/similar than almost any other NHL municipalities.

12 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Just wondering when things are going to start popping again. And in what order? I'm imagining DW's job is a lot like mine (and maybe the majority of us), in that I can almost never plan a day out as a chaotic factor seems to always interrupt it? I wonder about Waddell and the "committee" thing. Is it still operative, and if so, should another GM call in, does he shuttle calls off to another on the committee? Or does he field them all, and then convene the group? On the other hand, that all may have died down now? Glimpses at the trade table surely looked as if Dundon was right there taking it all in. Just rambling here, kind of like tapping my fingers?

Probably be late Wednesday/ early Thursday. Teams will have an idea of who they will sign, some how, and can start moving other pieces. 

From DeCock's article:

The Hurricanes, meanwhile, are assessing the free-agent market for goalies, where Semyon Varlamov is the top option potentially available to them, if he’s interested in the Hurricanes.

What do people think? He did not have a great year last year, but did the year before. He's 31. 

It sounds like we're keeping Mrazek on speed dial as UFA period starts, but as much as he wants to test the waters, probably so do we. I think Lehner is worth any risk of his health issues, but will be very hard to land.

I read an article this morning suggesting the Canes are 1 of 5 potential landing spots for Corey Perry.  Knowing what a pesky player he is, I like the idea of his presence on the team.  I think in the short run he would more than make up for the loss of Micheal Ferland, and together with JW and JS provide really good veteran leadership.

While I like the deal to add a 1st round pick for cap space, I don't know that adding Marleau to the lineup is such a good idea.  I think that bottles up a roster position that one of the Charlotte prospects is in line to garner.

4 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I read an article this morning suggesting the Canes are 1 of 5 potential landing spots for Corey Perry.  Knowing what a pesky player he is, I like the idea of his presence on the team.  I think in the short run he would more than make up for the loss of Micheal Ferland, and together with JW and JS provide really good veteran leadership.

While I like the deal to add a 1st round pick for cap space, I don't know that adding Marleau to the lineup is such a good idea.  I think that bottles up a roster position that one of the Charlotte prospects is in line to garner.

I just wonder how much basis in fact these "articles" have beboplar? I mean how hard is it to speculate that since the Cap has fallen 1 1/2 million short, we are on of a few teams that always has Cap space, we obviously lacked firepower to get us over the top and been searching for it for at least 3 years, how hard is it to connect those dots? I just wish we had a little authoritative information.

25 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I doubt seriously that Marleau will ever play for the Canes, but I could see him being a big boost to the PP if he did.

To me Perry makes some sense if Justin Williams doesn’t return, and none if he does

• Like 1

I have to admit, I'm just not that excited about the names being thrown around. I mean I know the likelihood of us landing   "a Marner" is a bit slim, but the Varlamovs and Perrys of the world just don't get me excited. I'd rather have the young fire of some Utes (i.e. Ned/Goat) and take my chances & lumps getting them NHL playing experience. Someone enlighten me. Am I missing something? 

Edited by sleekfeeder

36 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Just going to add that rem, the key to Marleau's future would appear to be in Justin Williams' hands for if he chooses to hang them up, we then have a comparable replacement, IF MARLEAU WOULD AGREE? Perry is also on deck?

Edited by KJUNKANE

8 minutes ago, remkin said:

To me Perry makes some sense if Justin Williams doesn’t return, and none if he does

I respectfully disagree with that statement.  Once again, I don't think it can be understated that the two most obvious difference makers this season, as opposed to the last 9, were the Canes physical play and their goal tending.  Ferland and Martinook, and later Nino, added the presence the team had lacked.  JW also brings some attitude.  Ferland is a goner, and I am not sure any of the prospects add this element, so even with JW's return, adding Perry for the short run on the right side would be a plus for his physicality, scoring, and locker room presence.  I can see why the Ducks were ready to move on, but he would be a great addition to a young Canes squad.

23 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I can see why the Ducks were ready to move on, but he would be a great addition to a young Canes squad.

I previously stated and remain on board, even though several disagreed with my statement, with Perry being added to this team for the grit he'd bring as agree we need someone to replace Ferland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

I respectfully disagree with that statement.  Once again, I don't think it can be understated that the two most obvious difference makers this season, as opposed to the last 9, were the Canes physical play and their goal tending.  Ferland and Martinook, and later Nino, added the presence the team had lacked.  JW also brings some attitude.  Ferland is a goner, and I am not sure any of the prospects add this element, so even with JW's return, adding Perry for the short run on the right side would be a plus for his physicality, scoring, and locker room presence.  I can see why the Ducks were ready to move on, but he would be a great addition to a young Canes squad.

To me it depends on what other moves are made, and keeping in mind that in my view, Necas makes this team out of camp. So these things would affect greatly the idea of adding a Perry. If we make no further moves and Necas goes back to Charlotte again, then I could see adding Perry with Justin Williams.

But if we make a move, and assume that Necas is on the third line, and we bring back J Williams, then I just don't see adding Perry. 

That said, I do agree with your point about the Canes and physicality. Every year a different team wins the cup, and different opinions come forward about the type of hockey you need to win the cup. Where it had been speed, now physical is the catch word. Also, it's hard to argue with our results in adding a lot of grit to this team. I've pointed out in past posts, that while Ferland is the biggest, most obvious hitter, we added grit with essentially every new guy in the line up from the previous years: DeHaan, Dougie, Foegele, Martinook, even Nino and Svech. Adding more nasty is good. This is why I could get behind Perry as sort of bonus move. But I want us to make a big move, and also bring up Necas. 

Say we brought up Necas and traded for Ehlers, and re-sign J Williams.

Aho, TT, Staal, Nino, Ehlers, Svech, Williams, Necas, Wallmark, would be the top 9, and Wallmark would be the luckiest guy in the NHL since we'd be short at center. If Perry were a center, then slotting him into the third line center would be perfect. Or, if we find a center instead of Ehlers, then Perry could still fit.

I will say that Perry would be an interesting move assuming our pro scouts think he can still play effectively. He does bring grit and if he can still play he did produce in the 55 point range or better every single year outside of last year going all the way back to 2007. 

So for me, given my thoughts about another move, and Necas coming up, it's hard to see Perry here unless: A. We don't sign Williams or B. Our big move nets a center. I guess there are the options of no Necas or no big move, but those don't make sense to me either. But hey, this is just my opinion. 

• Like 1

The more I dig into our draft, the more excited I get about our draft and development side of the house. This is a base skill for a top organization and we have become good at it, and given our draft position, I think we hit it out of the park this year. Thinking of all of those prospects with high end potential in our system, we just need a few to hit. The long term future is bright indeed.

That said, the Metro is full of spend to the cap teams, and then us. The East and those wild card spots will be fought for against the likes of the NY Rangers who get to reload in seconds since players want to be there and they spend to the cap, oh and they got an elite top two player in the draft. New Jersey only gets Jack Hughes and goes on to trade for PK Subban. Also, they played most of the year without Taylor Hall who will be back, and Nico Heischer, last year's #1 pick will be better. 

What I'm saying is this. Despite the long term brightness, it will be very tough for this team to repeat even a playoff birth if we sit pat while losing Ferland, and possibly J Williams, and especially if things get shaky in goal. I love our draft management, but now we see if this team is serious about not dropping back from all the momentum built last year. I'm eagerly anticipating the next few weeks. 

With every draft  the hope is at   least  2  or possibly 3 of the players get good enough to make the team .   Hell   even those who are top ten dont always   show any signs  of making  it to the nhl  and tend to linger in the  minors  till they either re  enter the draft or  go somewhere else  because their skills are not up to par with the nhl .  That potential is what NHL  Scouts look for    and the ideal hope is  there is enough to get to that next stage .  You could draft 10  / 12 guys in one year and maybe 3 or 5 years down the road   only 1 of them  cracks the line up .   It's usually that top 5  talents  that shows any ground of actually  making the team .   To my knowledge  there has never been a team  with   more than 4  players  in one year eventually  made it to the nhl  .      

Carolinas chances for this year ?   I would say  the likeliness  is 2   players .   as for which 2 players ?  i really have no clue .  But  hey  it's better than 1  or no one .   and there has been a ton of teams where they completely   **** the bed  and not get anyone that makes it to the nhl   .  The canes with Rutherford as gm was one of those teams in the past !  

Edited by Canesfanforever

It is generally true, but I don't know, I think Suzuki and Kochetkov will make it. Then I like 1-2 more from this group. Hey, I'm probably just overly optimistic, but we really seemed to be able to pick guys with high upside and reasons for them falling that could end up not mattering. 

18 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Top, it's 8 years max, not 10, but I get your point.  I remain highly doubtful the two sides end at a bridge deal, but we shall see.

Unfortunately, I do too. So I will laugh and laugh when the owners lock the rinks again in a couple of years. Then I'll cry and cry that there's no hockey until January of that year--if we're lucky. And I'll laugh once, more when the owners come crawling back to the bed they made, and start the process over again.

Edited by top-shelf-1

14 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

This is really funny gocanes, do you ever think we were "far off"? I always thought that the $$$ was there, the problem, like Aho, is term?

Exactly, neither Waddell not Petr's agent (or the stick boy--Luke's likely "source") is going to say "They're miles apart" at this stage of things. Better to say what they did; it lets them claim, if somebody pays him, that matching or bidding up the offer "wasn't fiscally prudent."

Petr was good but Mac still shouldered enough of the load that I don't have faith he can hold the crease for a whole season and a playoff run. Plus, goalie agents don't seem to have accepted that the rules have changed and teams want to two proficient keepers--at or near the cost of one great one.

Edited by top-shelf-1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

To me it depends on what other moves are made, and keeping in mind that in my view, Necas makes this team out of camp. So these things would affect greatly the idea of adding a Perry. If we make no further moves and Necas goes back to Charlotte again, then I could see adding Perry with Justin Williams.

But if we make a move, and assume that Necas is on the third line, and we bring back J Williams, then I just don't see adding Perry. 

That said, I do agree with your point about the Canes and physicality. Every year a different team wins the cup, and different opinions come forward about the type of hockey you need to win the cup. Where it had been speed, now physical is the catch word. Also, it's hard to argue with our results in adding a lot of grit to this team. I've pointed out in past posts, that while Ferland is the biggest, most obvious hitter, we added grit with essentially every new guy in the line up from the previous years: DeHaan, Dougie, Foegele, Martinook, even Nino and Svech. Adding more nasty is good. This is why I could get behind Perry as sort of bonus move. But I want us to make a big move, and also bring up Necas. 

Say we brought up Necas and traded for Ehlers, and re-sign J Williams.

Aho, TT, Staal, Nino, Ehlers, Svech, Williams, Necas, Wallmark, would be the top 9, and Wallmark would be the luckiest guy in the NHL since we'd be short at center. If Perry were a center, then slotting him into the third line center would be perfect. Or, if we find a center instead of Ehlers, then Perry could still fit.

I will say that Perry would be an interesting move assuming our pro scouts think he can still play effectively. He does bring grit and if he can still play he did produce in the 55 point range or better every single year outside of last year going all the way back to 2007. 

So for me, given my thoughts about another move, and Necas coming up, it's hard to see Perry here unless: A. We don't sign Williams or B. Our big move nets a center. I guess there are the options of no Necas or no big move, but those don't make sense to me either. But hey, this is just my opinion. 

Everyone seems to assume Necas will make the team, and most think it will be at RW, as opposed to C.  If that is the case, I am not sure we want to add Ehlers, because we will be softer than last year.  The playoffs were rugged, for sure.  The Caps played a physical series, the Bruins love to hit, and frankly the addition of Necas/Ehlers combined with the loss of Ferland would not be good.  

I am not saying Necas will not earn a spot on the roster out of training camp.  There will be a lot of competition amongst the Checkers elite for 1 or maybe 2 spots.  If he does make it, and they add Perry along with JW's return, I can see a couple of line options:

TT/Aho/Perry

NN/Staal/JW

Foegle/Necas/Svech

Marty/Wallmark/McGinn    with Necas at C, or

TT/Aho/Perry

NN/Staal/JW

Foegel/Wallmark/Svech

McGinn/Marty/Necas          with Necas at RW

Who knows?  Again, I prefer this scenario to the addition of Marleau in the lineup.

Edited by beboplar

36 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Everyone seems to assume Necas will make the team,

Not me.

Based on what I've seen so far he's a bottom-six guy, and that's if he sticks. The inflated assessments of him completely ignored that he was playing in one of the worst European leagues on the continent. I am part Czech and would love to be proved wrong. But what I saw when he was at this level last year was a lanky kid who was easy to knock off his pegs and had his head down most of the time when carrying the biscuit. If the A didn't break him of that, the NHL will, and it won't be pretty.

Don't know if realm is in the house, but would be curious what he saw in Necas, particularly as regards staying on his feet, and whether he thinks the kid made sufficient strides from one end of the season to the other. Zykov seemed like a shoo-in but looked completely without clue up here, despite leading the A in scoring the prior season and playing a much more physical brand of hockey.

We can forget about the Lehner pipe dream...he’s stated he won’t talk to other teams while he and Lou hammer out a new contract. 

Top, I caught a number of Checkers games this year and stand in the middle on the Necas thing. Not as bullish is Rem but think he could be special over time. Necas has breakaway speed and great vision on the ice but still plays too much on the perimeter. Velluci worked hard with him to improve his game away from the puck and play a 200 foot game and there was definite improvement in the latter part of the season and play-offs, still a ways to go though. My sense is that he has a spot earmarked if he has a strong camp. The comments from Darren Yorke and Waddell at the draft were all about the ability for the draft picks to play at high speed. Necas is able to make dazzling plays at high speed so fits the mold. On the other hand, Zykov struggled with his skating, and playing a 200 foot game, and in todays NHL that just doesn't fly.

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

Everyone seems to assume Necas will make the team, and most think it will be at RW, as opposed to C.

It was Brindy in an interview who has led us down that path. He will still need to earn his spot but I think it is his to lose at this point