The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

I've been on the path since he was drafted, and thought he had a legit shot at making the team last year. I am glad he went down to Charlotte, learned to play wing and smaller ice. The NHL may be a touch more physical that the AHL, but the A is pretty rugged, but really what I've heard is that the NHL is just that much faster. 

The playoffs are clearly more physical, and physical teams tend to fare better, but speed wins too. Necas is skill at speed. He sees the ice and makes the kind of plays that more and more NHL teams seem to be making to create goals: cross seam passes, etc. 

We did get much more physical, and assuming that Ferland moves on, that is a bunch of thump lost, but we added physicality in several other players who are still here. In the end speed wins. It needs to be sprinkled with physical, but speed and skill are still important.

Necas benefited from winning a Caulder Cup, but he is probably THE guy that Brind'Amour was thinking about with his comment that he'd almost rather have guys in the weight room. If Necas doesn't make the team out of camp, that might be why. 

But I'm betting on the rather amazing ability of young, developing future stars to improve in the offseason and come back stronger. Not just physically, but their game too. They know what the coaches are telling them to work on, and often it works. It's a bet to be sure. Betting on Foegele to beat our Necas before camp started would not have seemed a good bet. Yet it's exactly what happened, so who knows for sure. There were some who questioned Aho's making the team the year he did too. It goes both ways. Aho was a lock, though and most of us said it. Necas is not a lock. But IMO, he's the next step down from that. 

2 hours ago, beboplar said:

Everyone seems to assume Necas will make the team, and most think it will be at RW, as opposed to C.  If that is the case, I am not sure we want to add Ehlers, because we will be softer than last year.  The playoffs were rugged, for sure.  The Caps played a physical series, the Bruins love to hit, and frankly the addition of Necas/Ehlers combined with the loss of Ferland would not be good.  

I am not saying Necas will not earn a spot on the roster out of training camp.  There will be a lot of competition amongst the Checkers elite for 1 or maybe 2 spots.  If he does make it, and they add Perry along with JW's return, I can see a couple of line options:

TT/Aho/Perry

NN/Staal/JW

Foegle/Necas/Svech

Marty/Wallmark/McGinn    with Necas at C, or

TT/Aho/Perry

NN/Staal/JW

Foegel/Wallmark/Svech

McGinn/Marty/Necas          with Necas at RW

Who knows?  Again, I prefer this scenario to the addition of Marleau in the lineup.

As someone who's been saying Necas makes the team, I can assure that there are more than a few who disagree on here.

Your lines don't add another more substantial forward move. If we don't make another forward move, then those lines could work. I'm still holding out that we should make a more substantial forward move. I will say this. IF JWilliams comes back and IF Perry could be rejuvinated, those lines might get us one more year before Necas and Svech are hitting their glory, and one more year to see if someone else in Charlotte might step up, or one more year to see if we can make that big move. It would not be my plan, but it could work.

But me, I want to make that big move now. I still think that a high end 2C is the best move, not a winger, which Ehlers is. And no, Ehlers does not hit much. A big center that is high end 2C would be best, but that might be very hard to find. That said, Ehlers has speed, and is a high end first line forward on what could become a sweet contract, and with no NTC. 

In effect slotting Necas and Ehlers in for say McGinn and Ferland does, in fact, decrease the physical. But at the same time dramatically ups the speed and skill. We would lose some physical for sure. But I still think we'd have enough. We would not be intimidating physically, but could hold our own, and we'd be intimidating offensively. 

It is a big debate speed, skill, physical. What is the best mix. Teams that are just physical don't make it. Teams that are pure speed and skill can but cup teams have usually added grit as that final piece. 

I will say this too though, as not being totally down on Perry. Teams can't goon up anymore. What made Ferland and even Martinook effective was that they can play. Not elite, but they can score. We've talked about adding gritty wingers who can score. A lot of top teams have one or two, and we've been missing that until Ferland came along. If Perry still has the skills, he could bring that. But JWilliams is no speed demon, nor is Perry. 

I think I'd still rather fly down the ice and score.

1 hour ago, CanesTR said:

Top, I caught a number of Checkers games this year and stand in the middle on the Necas thing. Not as bullish is Rem but think he could be special over time. Necas has breakaway speed and great vision on the ice but still plays too much on the perimeter. Velluci worked hard with him to improve his game away from the puck and play a 200 foot game and there was definite improvement in the latter part of the season and play-offs, still a ways to go though. My sense is that he has a spot earmarked if he has a strong camp. The comments from Darren Yorke and Waddell at the draft were all about the ability for the draft picks to play at high speed. Necas is able to make dazzling plays at high speed so fits the mold. On the other hand, Zykov struggled with his skating, and playing a 200 foot game, and in todays NHL that just doesn't fly.

Thanks TR. Your Zyke point is well-taken, he was slower than molasses in January.

I hope Necas can be all that, I really do, but until he puts some pounds on his frame, especially given the rate at which the NHL is becoming both big and fast, he risks running into a wall of meat, no matter how elite his stick skills may be.

Personally I'd rather bring up guys who already have size and let the smaller ones develop in the A, because skating with 20 or 30 extra pounds is an adaptation that happens over seasons, not off- seasons. At 6-4 he's still a little too thin for me (207 lbs.), but I'd rather give a guy like Roy or even Goat (6-4, 224) a long look, and let Necas keep learning--and bulking up. I know they're slower, but guys that size, once they get to it, are tough for keepers to see around and to move out of the slot. At the moment the only thing we have close to a beast in the slot is JWilly. Jordan plays around it too much, Aho can't hold the turf and prefers to take shots and make plays from the flanks. I just shudder to think what a guy built like Marleau but about 100 years younger could do for this team, and especially its PP.

Looks like the rumours are starting to flow on UFAs and possible trades surrounding the Canes. Tough to tell if any are real but we've been connected with UFAs Mike Smith (Flames), Matt Duchene (Jackets), and Corey Perry (Ducks). Rumored trades have referenced Mrazak (Oilers), Faulk/Hamilton/Pesce (Leafs), and De Haan (Hawks) on our side and Ehlers (Jets) and Priskie (Caps) coming our way. 

Here are my thoughts on this. No interest in Smith, forget Duchene (not happening). Corey Perry, if healthy, might be interesting. Still think we should sign Mrazak as 1A, try to move Faulk for scorer, keep Pesce & Hamilton. Can only see De Haan move if we are going to extend/keep Faulk and the return is Saad. Would love Ehlers (but at what cost?) and Priskie is intriguing if we could sign him.

My suspicion is that few, if any, of these rumors will come to fruition but interesting scuttlebutt.

Quote from Marleau today about his future and where he will end up:

”We’ll see what happens. I’ll leave that to my representatives and the Hurricanes to discuss.

I could see myself playing beyond next year. I still feel really good and I still feel I can contribute. Last year wasn’t a very good year by my standards so I’m looking forward to proving that wrong. That kind of gets the adrenaline going. You have to prove yourself year after year. I look forward to doing that this year.”

Article from NHL.com. Just throwing this out there for what it is worth.

• Like 1

Saarela and CDH to Chicago

we get Forsling (aka Swedish Fluery) and Forsberg a goalie with not too good of stats.  Sad thing is Forsberg is a RFA so we still cant buy out Darling.

They are saying we are clearing caps in prep for other moveS.  plural moves there.  We already had 21 million in space.  now we have 25 million

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1143302498670841856

Edited by gocanes0506

5 hours ago, beboplar said:

Everyone seems to assume Necas will make the team, and most think it will be at RW, as opposed to C.  If that is the case, I am not sure we want to add Ehlers, because we will be softer than last year.  The playoffs were rugged, for sure.  The Caps played a physical series, the Bruins love to hit, and frankly the addition of Necas/Ehlers combined with the loss of Ferland would not be good.  

I am not saying Necas will not earn a spot on the roster out of training camp.  There will be a lot of competition amongst the Checkers elite for 1 or maybe 2 spots.  If he does make it, and they add Perry along with JW's return, I can see a couple of line options:

TT/Aho/Perry

NN/Staal/JW

Foegle/Necas/Svech

Marty/Wallmark/McGinn    with Necas at C, or

TT/Aho/Perry

NN/Staal/JW

Foegel/Wallmark/Svech

McGinn/Marty/Necas          with Necas at RW

Who knows?  Again, I prefer this scenario to the addition of Marleau in the lineup.

I certainly hope there is more movement than just adding a Perry and Necas to the roster. I can't  see Perry rising from the dead to be elevated to a top 1 line. If so we are in a world of pain.

Just now, gocanes0506 said:

we get Forsling (aka Swedish Fluery) and Forsberg a goalie with not too good of stats.

They are saying we are clearing caps in prep for other moveS.  plural moves there.

I sure hope we are clearing cap space because these guys apparently aren’t even signed. And the goalie looks 3 steps below Ned.

2 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

we get Forsling (aka Swedish Fluery) and Forsberg a goalie with not too good of stats.

They are saying we are clearing caps in prep for other moveS.  plural moves there.  We already had 21 million in space.  now we have 25 million

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1143302498670841856

I am no expert at Forsling and Forsberg, but aside from humorously similar names, they seem like nothing guys compared with DeHaan. It really seems like there has to be more to this unless we're getting desperate at goalie. We need to clear cap space? What to stay at the floor?

I guess have to wait for the next part of this to drop, because this seems to make little sense to me.

• Like 2

There simply has to be more to this. After all we made of how much we missed DeHaan after he went down, we can't just trade him for a prospect. (Since we threw in a prospect, it would be DeHaan for prospect). We are not that dumb. Has to be more.

• Like 2

Just now, remkin said:
  1. If you wanted to put the most positive Carolina spin on it: de Haan is out until December and his contract was structured to make him a trade asset in Year 3 anyway. Forsberg will compete with Ned for No. 2 and Forsling is cheap third-pair who can play. But it’s a head-scratcher.

Or maybe we are that stupid?.....No, has to be more. Did we just panic in net? Or is there more? 

Scratching my head over this one.  Like Rem said, clearing cap space to stay at the floor?  This has to be part of something bigger coming along.  Is Forsberg supposed to be Mrazek's replacement?  Are we losing Ned and Forsberg is his replacement?  Are we planning on going into next season with a tandem that played a grand total of 1 NHL game between them last season?  And CDH is a whole nother set of questions.

Maybe we're about to throw Fleury and/or Ned into a deal and needed a third pair guy and a back up goalie.

OK, i guess Luke halfway answered my questions and raised a head-scratch of his own.

Were we in need of someone to compete with Ned?  Um, OK.

I'm perplexed.  I'm away right now so I don't have time to read the interwebs, but, what the hell?

The only reason I don’t mind is that De Haan was being overpaid here. You don’t pay a bottom pairing guy 4.55 million per year.

I have to think that the start of teams being able to talk to FA’s is playing a part in this, and that there is mutual interest somewhere.

• Like 2

Unless there is more coming from this, Chicago just fleeced the Canes.  *edit*.  Forsling is an iffy dman at best, couldnt help keep puck out of the net last year.  Forsberg had some OK games, but they chose to ride dinosaur Cam Ward instead if that tells you anything. 

Edited by surfzone365

5 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

Forsberg had some OK games, but they chose to ride dinosaur Cam Ward instead if that tells you anything. 

Forsberg couldn't even crack the Hawks' lineup last season - his most-recent NHL action was in 17-18.  #4 on a depth chart that featured Ward at #2.  Ack.

Interesting move.  CDH out for half the year. I guess they wanted to clear that money.  Saarela didn't really have a path to Raleigh.  Don't know much about the guys coming in.