The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

1 hour ago, DevildogKodi said:

Not doubting any source or the desire to buyout Darlings contract. But does anyone know how the leave of absence that Darling has taken effects his contract? I would guess, it means we don't have to pay him but he still counts against our cap hit.

I doubt it would be something medical that would grant us a LTIR.  

19 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Forslund's tweet -

Thank you Caniacs! For everything!!!

Has a similar finality to it as Ferland's, if you ask me.

Uh oh.

Edit add: someone mentioned national is "only a few games."  That may not matter given where John is in his career.  And I'm sure those "few games" pay more than the local grind.

Maybe the Big Rig will be the TV play by play guy!  <insert sarcasm, brickbats, whatever, here>

Edited by wxray1

6 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Uh oh.

Edit add: someone mentioned national is "only a few games."  That may not matter given where John is in his career.  And I'm sure those "few games" pay more than the local grind.

Maybe the Big Rig will be the TV play by play guy!  <insert sarcasm, brickbats, whatever, here>

wxray, although John is The Man I'd bet in our collective eyes, I for one grew to enjoy Maniscalco on the After Math for many years as I made my way home from games. I also often stopped at his broadcast booth before games and he always remembered me as an infrequent caller on that postgame show. Again to my taste, he was much better than the jerk who they've got now and for the past 2 years who ALWAYS comes across as an opinionated know it all? I hope that if Mike replaces John, that fans will cut Mike some slack as although No One could ever replace Forslund, Mike does better than a lot?

Chip is tweeting from the exit interviews

22 minutes ago

Micheal Ferland says he enjoyed his first year with Canes and would like to return.

Staal said his exit interview was held with Rod Brind’Amour and Don Waddell. Tom Dundon not sitting in this year.

Williams says no decision on his future yet. Says will be a family decision and whether he feels he can give 100 percent.

McElhinney says he has gotten no feedback from management as yet about their goaltending plans for next year.

46 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Chip is tweeting from the exit interviews

Chip AlexanderVerified account @ice_chip 22 minutes ago

Micheal Ferland says he enjoyed his first year with Canes and would like to return.

I know Ferland is probably just saying the right things. But...

You know in the first half of the year, I would have loved to re sign Ferland, but just assumed the price, especially in terms of "term" would be too high. Then, after his injury, it's effects and those of his line demotion, the team continued it's run and deep playoff run without much from him, and I was thinking, no way, again assuming as a UFA he'd get a big deal, and his post injury play did not justify it. 

If however, Ferland accepts that maybe he's not getting a huge deal, and would sign for a team friendly deal, I'd still look at him. Of course it depends too on how his injury and DNP's in the playoffs really went down too. But the Ferland that hit everything in sight and really scored a fair amount, was a useful player and a major reason we had some grit and bite this year. 

The problem for me, and I suspect the team, is term. With so many yutes pushing up, and the need to fix the PP, which Ferland does not do, and his injury prone nature, I just can't see giving him term, and especially term plus NTC. So, it seems highly unlikely that we sign him. 

I still maintain that the outside chance would be if he languished on the UFA market for a while and his price/term came down. But for the right price this guy is kind of like an offensively upgraded Martinook, and having them both would still be nice, if the price was right.

4 minutes ago, remkin said:

I know Ferland is probably just saying the right things

I'm sure that is part of it. I think the unspoken part of his reaction is would like to return (if the price is right) I do believe him when he says he would like to be back but at the same time a player has only a few opportunities to capitalize on contracts. I wont be surprised if Ferland is a goner.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I'm sure that is part of it. I think the unspoken part of his reaction is would like to return (if the price is right) I do believe him when he says he would like to be back but at the same time a player has only a few opportunities to capitalize on contracts. I wont be surprised if Ferland is a goner.

What exactly is Ferland asking for  ?   given his play and how much he played this year  i see no issue with giving the man 2 or 3  but  anymore than that is just laughable ! 

4 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

wxray, although John is The Man I'd bet in our collective eyes, I for one grew to enjoy Maniscalco on the After Math for many years as I made my way home from games. I also often stopped at his broadcast booth before games and he always remembered me as an infrequent caller on that postgame show. Again to my taste, he was much better than the jerk who they've got now and for the past 2 years who ALWAYS comes across as an opinionated know it all? I hope that if Mike replaces John, that fans will cut Mike some slack as although No One could ever replace Forslund, Mike does better than a lot?

Hi Kjun.  Actually, Mike is probably the best next-to-ice guy we've had since they added that component some 10 odd years or so ago.  Also liked him on the Aftermath too, and even on the sports morning show before the WRAL media machine switched gears on sports radio and went to an urban sports format and booted him.

He needs some practice and polish on play-by-play is all I'm saying.  I'd have an open mind on this, which is why I was wishy-washy on my non-emoticon insertion.

Did you catch his play by play on the radio?  At times good, at times, a bit troublesome.  All about 100x better than I could do, for sure, so who am I to say?

We are getting way ahead of ourselves here.  We just have to see how this unfolds.  Maybe John will be back.  Who knows.

I know a person who knows a person who said Ferland said he really wants to return to the Canes.  

So it isn't not wanting to play here, it will come down to how much we want him, if at all, and if it meets his $.  

IMHO we won't pay him enough to keep him since we already have a taste of him getting hurt too much, and someone will take a bigger chance than we are willing to.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, hag65 said:

IMHO we won't pay him enough to keep him since we already have a taste of him getting hurt too much, and someone will take a bigger chance than we are willing to.

We paid Jeff Skinner after all those concussions...just sayin ;)

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

I know a person who knows a person who said Ferland said he really wants to return to the Canes.  

So it isn't not wanting to play here, it will come down to how much we want him, if at all, and if it meets his $.  

I think I misread Ferland’s situation, I really thought he wanted out of here.

After seeing his interview he seemed pretty sincere. I know there is “saying all the right things” thing but...

I might be in the minority but I want him to stay. Unfortunately Hag65, I think it will play out as you said.

1 hour ago, Kyrule said:

I think I misread Ferland’s situation, I really thought he wanted out of here.

After seeing his interview he seemed pretty sincere. I know there is “saying all the right things” thing but...

I might be in the minority but I want him to stay. Unfortunately Hag65, I think it will play out as you said.

if he could play a full season and be productive  on the stat sheet  ,  But im having a hard time of recent finding any reason to believe  he could do that .   He is Injury prone ! 

13 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

That was a different we.

Valid...but the point is that it's not unheard of.  And I was on the record as being against that signing due to his concussion history.  He proved me wrong.  Maybe Ferls will do the same if given a chance here.

On 5/19/2019 at 7:20 PM, DevildogKodi said:

Didn't realize he was back. Still curious how a leave of absence works in the NHL.

I don’t think the leave of absence was anything more than the team agreeing to pay Darling while he took time away from the Checkers for a non injury-related reason. And while he returned to the Checkers after the leave of absence, I didn’t see anything written that suggested he played in any more games. I think Scott is wrapping his head around the likely buyout, whether another organization is willing to give him a chance to fight his way back to the NHL, or whether he wants to use his buyout money to set himself up for a new challenge in or out of hockey. All I can add is I admire the effort he made to get his game back last summer, and wish him nothing but the best, but I don’t want to keep him in the Canes organization any longer.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

All I can add is I admire the effort he made to get his game back last summer, and wish him nothing but the best, but I don’t want to keep him in the Canes organization any longer.

That’s pretty much the sentiment of the entire fan base 

I am really interested in a detached sort of, "glad it isn't us", way, what some team is going to sink into Jeff Skinner. He is a special talent, but IMO has not done been able to match his scoring prowess with enough of the other things needed to win, to be worth the money he's probably going to get. And I can almost guarantee that he will get some sort of NTC to boot.  

9 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

So , Kevin Hayes  maybe ? 

Kevin Hayes may not be the most elite guy out there in UFA, but he could be the most elite center if you discount Pavelski (age, winger/center, and not likely to leave SJ). This is a guy I would want on the team, even if he's not my dream target. The problem, could be, as with most higher end UFA's overpayment (that and he'd have to want to come here after playing in NY and in a sold out arena, high powered team in WPG). 

However, I continue to maintain that we can have one overpay and be just fine. I know we need to be careful. HWSNBN and Mongo still sting, and are still on the books, and all. But if you go for a top UFA, it will cost you money. However, what people tend to underestimate is the value of not costing you assets. 

So, to me the key is who are you getting? Even if you over pay some, will this guy make your team better now and for years to come. I think with Kevin Hayes the answer is yes, and yes. 

1. He's 27, and will be for the entire season of next year. So even if he gets a max seven year deal, he'll be 33 in his last year. This is about as good as that gets with a UFA of this caliber and proven ability. You are getting prime years mostly, and no really bad years based on age.

2. He plays the right way. Warning: +/- talk in this one. There are players who do the little things that don't show up on the score sheet. Unless you have access to really good play-specific stats, at least glancing at a players +/- relative to teammates over years can at least tell you that they are not terrible in this area. Hayes has always been in the top half of his team, and has an amazing streak of improving over his career. His ranking on his team in plus minus per year over the past 5 years in order: #11, #12, #8, #6, #5. Again, I'm sure the Canes have a better ranking on this, but all signs are that he does things right. 

3. He contributes on the PP. This is based on a reading, since I don't follow him, but on his write up on Sportsnets' top 12 UFA's (he's ranked 9) it says, "Contributes to both special teams". We need help on the PP. Looking at his PP numbers, he's #86 in PP assists. This is not elite, but a bit better than Ferland, our 4th best forward in playmaking (though Ferland had more PP goals). He can kill too. He was #69 forward in PK ice time. I don't see him as a Braden Point super star elite PP guy. I see him as a top end #2 center who can hold his own on the PP and kill penalties.

4. He is a playmaker. He put up 36 assists last year. That made him the #63 forward for assists in the NHL. That is first line. He was the #42 center in assists (though he played wing, he centers well). Admittedly this was a career year for assists, but he's been in that same neighborhood before. Based on assists, he's a top 10 second line center. Points: 55, #78 forward. Goals: 19, #127. Both solidly second line. 

5. He's big. (6'5"). This is more of a using his body to gain advantage than hits. He's #240 out of 391 forwards (min 40G) in hits. Not shy, but not a banger.

The main downside IMO two things.

1. We are buying high. This guy is coming off of a peak year right into UFA. He is going to cost us if he even wants to be here. There is always risk in buying high, and we would almost certainly end up overpaying for production. (But we would be better).

2. He is not uber-elite. If we could pay a Panerin or trade for a Point or someone else in that really high producing strata, we could do even better.

But, this is a guy who would make us very strong down the middle as Aho improves: Aho, Hayes, Staal could be very formidable. And while he won't jumpstart our PP, he would improve it. And he does the things that lead to winning. 

In the end, with 31 options, any UFA is a long shot, but he'd be a good one we could use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Kevin Hayes may not be the most elite guy out there in UFA, but he could be the most elite center if you discount Pavelski (age, winger/center, and not likely to leave SJ). This is a guy I would want on the team, even if he's not my dream target. The problem, could be, as with most higher end UFA's overpayment (that and he'd have to want to come here after playing in NY and in a sold out arena, high powered team in WPG). 

However, I continue to maintain that we can have one overpay and be just fine. I know we need to be careful. HWSNBN and Mongo still sting, and are still on the books, and all. But if you go for a top UFA, it will cost you money. However, what people tend to underestimate is the value of not costing you assets. 

So, to me the key is who are you getting? Even if you over pay some, will this guy make your team better now and for years to come. I think with Kevin Hayes the answer is yes, and yes. 

1. He's 27, and will be for the entire season of next year. So even if he gets a max seven year deal, he'll be 33 in his last year. This is about as good as that gets with a UFA of this caliber and proven ability. You are getting prime years mostly, and no really bad years based on age.

2. He plays the right way. Warning: +/- talk in this one. There are players who do the little things that don't show up on the score sheet. Unless you have access to really good play-specific stats, at least glancing at a players +/- relative to teammates over years can at least tell you that they are not terrible in this area. Hayes has always been in the top half of his team, and has an amazing streak of improving over his career. His ranking on his team in plus minus per year over the past 5 years in order: #11, #12, #8, #6, #5. Again, I'm sure the Canes have a better ranking on this, but all signs are that he does things right. 

3. He contributes on the PP. This is based on a reading, since I don't follow him, but on his write up on Sportsnets' top 12 UFA's (he's ranked 9) it says, "Contributes to both special teams". We need help on the PP. Looking at his PP numbers, he's #86 in PP assists. This is not elite, but a bit better than Ferland, our 4th best forward in playmaking (though Ferland had more PP goals). He can kill too. He was #69 forward in PK ice time. I don't see him as a Braden Point super star elite PP guy. I see him as a top end #2 center who can hold his own on the PP and kill penalties.

4. He is a playmaker. He put up 36 assists last year. That made him the #63 forward for assists in the NHL. That is first line. He was the #42 center in assists (though he played wing, he centers well). Admittedly this was a career year for assists, but he's been in that same neighborhood before. Based on assists, he's a top 10 second line center. Points: 55, #78 forward. Goals: 19, #127. Both solidly second line. 

5. He's big. (6'5"). This is more of a using his body to gain advantage than hits. He's #240 out of 391 forwards (min 40G) in hits. Not shy, but not a banger.

The main downside IMO two things.

1. We are buying high. This guy is coming off of a peak year right into UFA. He is going to cost us if he even wants to be here. There is always risk in buying high, and we would almost certainly end up overpaying for production. (But we would be better).

2. He is not uber-elite. If we could pay a Panerin or trade for a Point or someone else in that really high producing strata, we could do even better.

But, this is a guy who would make us very strong down the middle as Aho improves: Aho, Hayes, Staal could be very formidable. And while he won't jumpstart our PP, he would improve it. And he does the things that lead to winning. 

In the end, with 31 options, any UFA is a long shot, but he'd be a good one we could use.

Great Assessment there  Rem .    My take is  he will be fetching a lot from teams that are rebuilding that could use a guy like him of his  skill sets .    As for teams that are middle in the road that are not afraid to spend to the cap  they would gladly take on his contract  and have a  " Poop sandwich  " eating   grin .   My take on his level of play is  if he could be a well rounded center for the canes he could slot at number 2  which means moving staal down to the 3rd line .  or end up playing wing to Staal on the 2nd line  " Which  im not fond of sense we need right handed shots for right wing and not another left handed shooter  for left wing ! "  I also think he  had a career year but  I wonder if all there is  and with Dundon's approach  he only wants guys who want to come to carolina .  If he is asking for too much then forget about it cause the canes can always do better  but , If there is a chance he would take a team friendly contract and does want to come to carolina then Id be hard pressed to turn the guy down . 

On 5/19/2019 at 8:01 PM, Canesfanforever said:

Brock Nelson or  Kevin Hayes  ?  Who would you say has more value ?

Nelson just re-upped with the Islanders for six more years. Don’t know the financial details.