The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

I heard a guy on XM say that one of the main reasons we don't see offer sheets is the embarrassment and problems created if you swing and miss and don't get your guy. I don't see how any GM/Owner in the league honestly thinks we're going to let Aho walk unless they offer him crazy, 4 first rounder money. And how many teams can, let alone would do that. We will not see an offer sheet on Aho. I will get our the eat crow emoticon if we do, but we will not see one.

I don’t see why if Aho doesn’t want 8 and 5 doesn’t make sense for the franchise then, why not do a 2 year bridge deal?  You keep his rights and see if he truly is a PPG player.  In two years the cap wont jump so much that Aho would get paid crazy money. Then shoot for a 5-8 year deal.

I get paying them more now to save money then.  

Just Eklund crap, but.....

"The only thing close to an offer sheet I am hearing has to do with Aho in Carolina. I have been told the Canadiens are talking to Carolina about a possible trade for Aho....and they are hanging an offer sheet over them...I have heard Drouin could be headed back to Carolina in an Aho trade... "

Think my fears are unfounded regarding Aho, eh?

Well how about this?

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reports three different teams have contacted the Carolina Hurricanes hinting at an offer sheet on Sebastian Aho.  LeBrun reports Hurricanes told teams they would match any offer sheet on Aho, but will entertain trade talks. The insider believes the Montreal Canadiens are among those to touch in with Carolina on Aho.

So we match it...and get a disgruntled player for the term...

6 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Just Eklund crap, but.....

"The only thing close to an offer sheet I am hearing has to do with Aho in Carolina. I have been told the Canadiens are talking to Carolina about a possible trade for Aho....and they are hanging an offer sheet over them...I have heard Drouin could be headed back to Carolina in an Aho trade... "

Drouin.......give me a break. Talk about the Atypical HCRB player. Dude couldn't play defense to save his life. This is hogwarsh. Just pay the guy. Tired of hearing about it. Why is this even an issue? We talk all the time about acquiring star players. You have one right in front of you, HOME GROWN, mind you.

Edited by sleekfeeder

Just now, sleekfeeder said:

Drouin.......give me a break. Talk about the Atypical HCRB player. Dude couldn't play defense to save his life. This is hogwarsh. Just pay the guy. Tired of hearing about it. Why is this even an issue?

Cause management is being unnecessarily cheap and hardball in their negotiating tactics 

2 hours ago, remkin said:

I'm guessing that he was miffed about the term at  2 years. Maybe the money too, but he has to be miffed about being offered 2 years. He's worth a shot at more term, he's that good. 

I forgot to mention, part of the issue with Lehner and the Isles is Soroykin.

He has been playing in the KHL and is considered one of the best goalies not playing in the NHL.

His arrival is likely imminent, so that’s why the Isles don’t want to go long-term.

Can't see anyone on the Canadians we'd trade Aho for. All I can think about all the Aho talk is.....:blahblah:

Just now, sleekfeeder said:

How reliable is this LeBrun guy? Sorry I don't follow talking heads.

He's pretty reliable, but I still think it's all subterfuge.

4 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Cause management is being unnecessarily cheap and hardball in their negotiating tactics 

Hard to blame them, 9.5 a year for a guy that goes through several long term slumps every season and barely contributed in the playoff run.  I get he had 80points and is our best offensive player but that is risky money. give him  9.5mil and he falls back to a 60point player and we will be screwed with a way overpaid contract.   However, he has the leverage because he is our only goal scorer.  Wish we could see into the future and know if he is going to be a consistent 30 goal 80point guy or not. If a trade is made it better be amazing.  In my opinion 7.5mil is exactly what he's worth.  

11 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

He’s usually fairly accurate and pretty fair in team and player assessments 

28 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

In my opinion 7.5mil is exactly what he's worth.  

8.5 is mine...but I’m at the “do whatever it takes to sign him before a sheet is tendered” stage 

Edited by AWACSooner

6 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

8.5 is mine

Take a look at the money that is handed out today and compare the numbers to Aho.  His stats are better that Duchene, They are about equal to Panarin.  Give him the $9.5M, but insist on the 8 years.

7 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Vesey traded to Buffalo for a third-round pick.

Man, remember how much angst about him and NYR getting all these guys? So many of those college seniors who break out fizzle in the NHL.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, slapshot02 said:

Didnt hear that, looking for longer term?

Has to be. Opens the door IMO.

35 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

If Lehner came here we would be a beast!

Don't know about that.  If he came here it would be for a better deal than the Islanders offered (either > $5M or > 2 years).  What I have observed in the age of professional sports free agency is that when players have a successful year at one city and turn that into a large contract elsewhere, like past performance warnings in stocks, that is no promise they will perform well going forward.  Especially with a guy such as Lehner, who may have issues outside of the pipes.  We certainly saw this recently with Darling.  Mrazek has proven himself with the Canes, and seems to have the fans behind him.  I favor resigning him to Lehner.

26 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

All these rumors and speculation are coming from one place.....the Montreal media.  Screw them.

With Aho's negotiation, I know the Canes do not like the 5 year option, so to get what they want (longer term) they know they have to pay more than $8 or $8.5M per.  Something like $9M per for 7 years would be good for both sides.

11 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Take a look at the money that is handed out today and compare the numbers to Aho.  His stats are better that Duchene, They are about equal to Panarin.  Give him the $9.5M, but insist on the 8 years.

I’d be ok with that, mostly cause if we lose him to a sheet, it’s gonna set us back several years and drive a narrative that we only care about $$ and not the players 

Edited by AWACSooner