The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

5 minutes ago, BoDarville said:

Still not close. 

Gosh, why pay good players when we can make the playoffs every ten years? What a plan!

Duchene to Preds 7x8

Lol @ BJ’s for their TD moves that are abandoning them

Dundon somehow finds value in investing truckloads of millions of dollars into a minor-league football organization days from going belly-up. 

Ponying up an extra 5-10 million for his best player? Whoa hey now, I'm just an average guy trying to stay in the black

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BoDarville said:

I admittedly haven't followed free agency much, but does anyone else get the feeling we're going cheap and blowing it up again?

No.

1 minute ago, Kyrule said:

Perry to Dallas.

That was a known...expect a Pavelski to Dallas soon

If they don't keep Aho, it sends a message that no matter how good you are, they won't pay you your worth unless you're a mid-to-solid player, whom they'll overpay.

Saw this in the 1990s with George Shinn. Ended up working out real well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BoDarville said:

Dundon somehow finds value in investing truckloads of millions of dollars into a minor-league football organization days from going belly-up. 

Ponying up an extra 5-10 million for his best player? Whoa hey now, I'm just an average guy trying to stay in the black

Hey, they still have to work out a deal with John and Tripp.

Crazy money for Duchene. Duchene contract with Preds includes $28 million in signing bonus money. Year by year total: $10 mil, $8 mil, $10mil, $8mil, $9 mil, $6 mil, $5 mil.

Just now, caniac6 said:

They have been extended.

Just now, caniac6 said:

Weren't they locked in today?

The Carolina Cheapskates. Get it? Because they skate? Damn, I'm good. Y'all are lucky to have me (before Dundon sends me off too).

3 minutes ago, BoDarville said:

If they don't keep Aho, it sends a message that no matter how good you are, they won't pay you your worth unless you're a mid-to-solid player, whom they'll overpay.

Saw this in the 1990s with George Shinn. Ended up working out real well.

I don't see a lot of FA's seeing this as a good sign.

3 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

They have been extended.

Just joking as to why they are reluctant to pay Aho. And, I'm glad they are back.

What are people expecting?  With Aho to sign and $8.5m in buy-out dead cap space, Canes don't have cap room for a UFA of any stature (unless maybe they know J Will isn't coming back).

1 minute ago, remkin said:

Really I'm not worried about us signing a big time forward. It's all about goalie.

I'm very worried about them finding a numero uno.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cclifford10 said:

With Timo Meir getting $6M per, Aho's number has to start with a 9...

I agree and it will. If it doesn't here, what's the point of supporting them? Just tells Svechnikov he needs to kick rocks when his rookie deal is up.

9 minutes ago, BoDarville said:

Bo, I have no insider knowledge so obviously I'm only speculating.  But I believe it has less to do with the actual cash outlay and more to do with team salary structure, both past and future.  Slavin, Pesce, and Turbo all recently signed long term sweetheart deals, which I'm sure were heavily negotiated.  What impact on their moral might it have if the Canes hand Aho a contract without doing the same?  And what impact would it have on future negotiations when Svech, Necas, and Bean come due? 

I've got to believe that:

1. there's no way the Canes do not sign Aho
  2. they're looking at a much bigger picture as they negotiate    

3 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Bo, I have no insider knowledge so obviously I'm only speculating.  But I believe it has less to do with the actual cash outlay and more to do with team salary structure, both past and future.  Slavin, Pesce, and Turbo all recently signed long term sweetheart deals, which I'm sure were heavily negotiated.  What impact on their moral might it have if the Canes hand Aho a contract without doing the same?  And what impact would it have on future negotiations when Svech, Necas, and Bean come due? 

I've got to believe that:

1. there's no way the Canes do not sign Aho
  2. they're looking at a much bigger picture as they negotiate    

Hope so, buddy