The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

The estimate for Nelson was 4 x 4.5 mil.  Seems like Lou had a hold my beer type moment there.  

I would like to say make a joke about pay 6 million to a player that maybe gets to 50 points in a season but we have one of those.  (yes i know what else he does)

Edited by gocanes0506

Wonder if the crappy arena situation played into needing to overpay to keep Brock, you can't let the whole team walk every time they reach UFA status.

What ever the reason  , the other ufa's   / RFA's  are going to be looking at the islanders as prime real estate  cause apparently  money is no concept for the islanders if  nelson  can grab himself  6 mill .  

On 5/19/2019 at 6:17 PM, DevildogKodi said:

Before you start any lynchings, remember to check on who makes the decision. JF has appeared to be heading to NBC for a national gig for a couple of years now. If he is leaving, it could be his decision. Especially given the comments on his "bias" during the playoffs, he may feel he needs to cut ties to become a national announcer.

To be clear, I hope he remains as our announcer as his broadcast is always preferable to anyone else we have heard. If he does leave, I hope it is not because of a poor contract offer.

The network gig is what every PBP guy wants. It's hitting the PBP lottery.

I hate to say it, but on many occasions this year when Tripp or John would mention how he'd just called a game a thousand miles away the night before, or was heading to one the following night, I wondered how much longer he'd be able to do that. If the network gig is what he wants, I hope John gets it, and is the top dog. Emrick is 72 and it's showing. Time for him to move over. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

The network gig is what every PBP guy wants. It's hitting the PBP lottery.

I hate to say it, but on many occasions this year when Tripp or John would mention how he'd just called a game a thousand miles away the night before, or was heading to one the following night, I wondered how much longer he'd be able to do that. If the network gig is what he wants, I hope John gets it, and is the top dog. Emrick is 72 and it's showing. Time for him to move over. 

If lets that that does happen  , And im not saying it's not a possibility . Could Mike Maniscalco  get the job as pbp ? I prefer him over jason any day of the week .  But I would hope he works on his excitement voice when the canes scored a goal lol . 

18 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

The estimate for Nelson was 4 x 4.5 mil.  Seems like Lou had a hold my beer type moment there.  

I would like to say make a joke about pay 6 million to a player that maybe gets to 50 points in a season but we have one of those.  (yes i know what else he does)

I think that's the point. Scoring is valuable, but so are true 2-way centers, and Lou knows it. Nelson (1) is one, and (2) has paid his dues. Plus, we are quite a few years down the road from when Jordo signed. 6 mil is an overpayment, but only when viewed one year at a time. It's fair to both sides when viewed as locking in a guy with his skills as you try to build toward a Cup, IMO. 

Edit to add: And it won't surprise me one bit if Jordan's deal and on-ice responsibilities are the model Lou would cite if anyone questioned him.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I think all speculation so far as to why the Isles "overpaid" Brock Nelson is incorrect.  I think they did it because they wanted him back, but he was so devastated after getting patted on the head in the handshake line, they needed to build up his ego again if he was to be at all useful.

• Like 5

On 5/24/2019 at 6:39 PM, caniac6 said:

According to the guys on XM, they thought Nelson could have gotten $7 mil if he went to free agency.

With expansion coming, owners/GMs have to decide on core players they intend to protect in two years and pay them handsomely, because if they don't they will bolt. Nelson had too good a year for the Isles to risk that, and with Lou and The Bridge Troll at the helm, he probably figures his chances of getting a Cup with them sometime during the contract's term warranted the discount. Both Trotz and Lou know what it takes to win, and as a player looking at 30 in few years, that's very hard to walk away from.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

I was reading this morning that Pesce was frustrated early in the season at the lack of playing time but as the season wore on his ice time increased and any thought he may be traded dissipated. According to Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts Waddell confirmed Pesce's frustration but said it was no longer a concern.

Friedman went on to speculate if there is a defenseman  to be traded it could be Fluery because his waiver exempt status is ending.

My feeling is we would be nuts to even consider moving a player like Pesce. He is the one Dman that can skate 1st,2nd or 3rd pair and do it well. He also seems to have the ability to skate left or right D without losing much if anything. I get his frustration when he was skating less minutes and happy that seems to be behind us.

Fluery is so curious to me. He has the tools and seems to be improving but he does struggle at times. Where is his offense? Its like he forgets to pack it when he jumps up from Charlotte.  With deHann and TVR recovering from injuries I would be very careful before moving any of our Dmen. It's nice to have Bean and McKeown among others who could grab a spot but until they do they earn it they are unproven at the big club level.

I fully realize you need to give to get in a trade so I won't rule anything out.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I was reading this morning that Pesce was frustrated early in the season at the lack of playing time but as the season wore on his ice time increased and any thought he may be traded dissipated. According to Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts Waddell confirmed Pesce's frustration but said it was no longer a concern.

Friedman went on to speculate if there is a defenseman  to be traded it could be Fluery because his waiver exempt status is ending.

My feeling is we would be nuts to even consider moving a player like Pesce. He is the one Dman that can skate 1st,2nd or 3rd pair and do it well. He also seems to have the ability to skate left or right D without losing much if anything. I get his frustration when he was skating less minutes and happy that seems to be behind us.

Fluery is so curious to me. He has the tools and seems to be improving but he does struggle at times. Where is his offense? Its like he forgets to pack it when he jumps up from Charlotte.  With deHann and TVR recovering from injuries I would be very careful before moving any of our Dmen. It's nice to have Bean and McKeown among others who could grab a spot but until they do they earn it they are unproven at the big club level.

I fully realize you need to give to get in a trade so I won't rule anything out.

But what would Fleury bring back? #7 overall draft pick who 4 years later can’t break into the NHL, and when pressed into service in the playoffs got something like 3 minutes a game from Rod. The bigger issue might be that if Fleury and Bean aren’t ready, we really only have 6 guys we can count on to keep our D strong. Maybe the depth everyone has assumed was our strength isn’t what we thought. IDK, just wondering. We sure need to do something to upgrade our offense, and everyone assumed it was moving Faulk or maybe another of our top 6 D. Maybe that’s not going to work out.

1 hour ago, bluedevilcane said:

But what would Fleury bring back? 

Thats' been my concern too. I get that he has not blown the coach away. I get that he does not put up points. I even get the notion of "you are the weakest link, good bye". But I also wonder how long an organization can get away with selling low on high draft picks, and paying so much for D.

Teams, even Champions, tend to have functional bottom pair D men on nice contracts. Now that Fleury has been pushed back to a 20 game NHL-AHL guy, I have to think that this contract (he's an RFA this off season) ends up coming in very team friendly. 

As it stands we are spending around $27 million on our D. I did a study of this a few years ago, and that was pretty high for all teams, let alone a budget team (Nashville spends $25 million and they are paying PK Suban $9 million of that. 

I get it. Defense wins Championships. But really not so fast. Over years of looking at this, the key has really been a pyramid of D men paid appropriately. Yes, nearly every cup winner seems to have a legit Norris level top guy, and a very good #2. And they can be paid big. But the second pair can be solid and even underrated, and generally the bottom pair can be solid bottom pair guys who make defensive plays and don't screw up and don't draw much payroll. Why? Because top D men can log long minutes, and bottom guys can be hidden. So you can use your money to get elite forward and goalie talent. 

I just think one of Fleury, McKeown, or Bean can function well enough in the 5-6 slot, to let us move a higher paid D man. Generally teams don't pay their 5th D man $4 million/year. We do. 

Right now, so far under the cap, maybe not a huge cap deal. But Boston also showed us we need PP help. We need at least one more skilled forward. On top of everything else we don't know what J Williams will bring this year or beyond, and need to replace his skill at some point too. 

I don't want to trade any particular D man. That's what makes it hard. Faulk would still be my choice if he re-signed, (no where near as obvious, but maybe he brings some return now), but with one year left he's the new Skinner in terms of contract situation and that will lessen return. Fleury? Sure, even without the money thing, the notion of losing him for a good forward is fine. But he's not bringing back the level we need IMO. I don't know which guy to trade, only that if we could get the right young, skilled forward, especially a PP playmaker, that move still seems logical to me. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, remkin said:

Thats' been my concern too. I get that he has not blown the coach away. I get that he does not put up points. I even get the notion of "you are the weakest link, good bye". But I also wonder how long an organization can get away with selling low on high draft picks, and paying so much for D.

Teams, even Champions, tend to have functional bottom pair D men on nice contracts. Now that Fleury has been pushed back to a 20 game NHL-AHL guy, I have to think that this contract (he's an RFA this off season) ends up coming in very team friendly. 

As it stands we are spending around $27 million on our D. I did a study of this a few years ago, and that was pretty high for all teams, let alone a budget team (Nashville spends $25 million and they are paying PK Suban $9 million of that. 

I get it. Defense wins Championships. But really not so fast. Over years of looking at this, the key has really been a pyramid of D men paid appropriately. Yes, nearly every cup winner seems to have a legit Norris level top guy, and a very good #2. And they can be paid big. But the second pair can be solid and even underrated, and generally the bottom pair can be solid bottom pair guys who make defensive plays and don't screw up and don't draw much payroll. Why? Because top D men can log long minutes, and bottom guys can be hidden. So you can use your money to get elite forward and goalie talent. 

I just think one of Fleury, McKeown, or Bean can function well enough in the 5-6 slot, to let us move a higher paid D man. Generally teams don't pay their 5th D man $4 million/year. We do. 

Right now, so far under the cap, maybe not a huge cap deal. But Boston also showed us we need PP help. We need at least one more skilled forward. On top of everything else we don't know what J Williams will bring this year or beyond, and need to replace his skill at some point too. 

I don't want to trade any particular D man. That's what makes it hard. Faulk would still be my choice if he re-signed, (no where near as obvious, but maybe he brings some return now), but with one year left he's the new Skinner in terms of contract situation and that will lessen return. Fleury? Sure, even without the money thing, the notion of losing him for a good forward is fine. But he's not bringing back the level we need IMO. I don't know which guy to trade, only that if we could get the right young, skilled forward, especially a PP playmaker, that move still seems logical to me. 

I usually have a sense of what moves make the most sense in the off season, not only for the Canes, but my other sports teams.  Besides the short list of to do's, such as signing Aho long term, JW short term, and making sure we have at least similar reliability in goal for the next few years, I am not sure the team will be overly anxious to pursue deals.  de Haan may miss up to 2 months of the season, TVR sounds as if he will be back for training camp, so the defensive corps of Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk, and TVR can be supplemented in the short run by the likes of Bean, McKeown, and Fleury.  With a dependable, low cost, RH D such as McKeown knocking on the door, I never understood resigning TVR.  With the team seemingly liking Faulk again, and Hamilton finding his way on a new team, it seems to me, even though it will bring little back in return, and may only alleviate the team's check book slightly, dealing TVR from the plethora of RH Dmen makes some sense to me.  How much damage would a guy like McKeown do on the 3rd D line?  I believe 1 or 2 Charlotte Checkers forwards will make a case for themselves to be on next year's roster.  I see them sitting back and if the right deal comes around for an established forward, then they pul the trigger.  Otherwise, it might not be that loud of an off season.

The surgeries do argue for caution. I happen to feel that we have enough depth in the AHL to tolerate moving a D man. Yes, it would be a step back on D, but a step up at forward and hopefully PP. 

I think the surgeries make it harder to predict what we might do. But the committee made big moves so far, and has shown they know what we need, and indicated they would try to get it. Years of watching Francis sit on his hands, and UFA's mostly not want to come here, conditions one to think we won't do much, and we may not. But I think we will, even if it's not the D for O thing. We have 3 second round picks, and lots of prospects we could move too.

We shall see though.

34 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Hamilton finding his way on a new team

Not sure where this comes from?

And rem, I agree that surgical results, particularly when stressed to the extreme that these guys will do, certainly can be tricky?

So, what to do? We unquestionably need to improve special teams, both sides, but particularly the Power Play. How to do this? Yes, we need to get another scorer, but according to one of Forslund's final analysis, I believe, we need a QB on that PP. Could we somehow find a player with both abilities that by hook or crook we could attain? Now saying that, if attainable, does that then make Faulk redundant? Frankly, where is Faulk's strength? For his earlier years, he was the weapon to score on PPs, Much like Ovechkin (yeah, yeah, I know wishful thinking), But that has long since gone away except for rare sightings? Faulk has evolved and become better defensively but still no Pesce or Slavin. And for some as yet unbelievable reason, Faulk "can't seem to hold the blue line" is still on PP#1? Now, de Hann is recovering from surgery, and we are obligated to retain. TvR is having his own surgery, but appears to have a shorter recovery in store? Personally I thought Hamilton was coming on better, and hope the above statement is incorrect? This is what needs to change, IMHO.

Defensemen are invaluable and as rem points out, we seem to be $$ heavier than all but a few in our payroll there? I too hate to see any player from this team moved, but we've got to readjust IF we have any chance to improve, and bring in that QB or at the least another scorer. I'm up again for trading ANY Dman not named Pesce or Slavin.  

To bring back a true scoring forward, I think we have to trade Slavin (not happening), Pesce, Hamilton or Faulk. De Haan might bring a pretty good return, but not this year due to injury. TVR is valuable to as on the 3rd pair, but I can’t see him bringing back the kind of offensive player we need. Faulk’s value is also much lower in the final year of his contract. That means Pesce or Hamilton and I doubt the braintrust wants to trade either. But we are sitting on a lot of D high draft picks that are stuck in the A. I guess we shall just see what happens.

I also wonder if Hamilton’s injury kept him off the first PP unit last year. He seems a lot more dangerous offensively than Faulk. Even with our D, which is our strength, there is a lot to work through this offseason. Waddell and whoever he is listening to (Rod maybe) have done pretty well so far, and I can’t believe I said that, so just have to trust them to work this out. Also can’t forget the expansion draft coming next summer.

17 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

To bring back a true scoring forward, I think we have to trade Slavin (not happening), Pesce, Hamilton or Faulk. De Haan might bring a pretty good return, but not this year due to injury. TVR is valuable to as on the 3rd pair, but I can’t see him bringing back the kind of offensive player we need. Faulk’s value is also much lower in the final year of his contract. That means Pesce or Hamilton and I doubt the braintrust wants to trade either. But we are sitting on a lot of D high draft picks that are stuck in the A. I guess we shall just see what happens.

I also wonder if Hamilton’s injury kept him off the first PP unit last year. He seems a lot more dangerous offensively than Faulk. Even with our D, which is our strength, there is a lot to work through this offseason. Waddell and whoever he is listening to (Rod maybe) have done pretty well so far, and I can’t believe I said that, so just have to trust them to work this out. Also can’t forget the expansion draft coming next summer.

expansion draft wont be until 2021 .    They will do that on the year they join the league . 

Canes Sign Sellgren to Entry-Level Contract

the team has signed defenseman Jesper Sellgren to a three-year, entry-level contract, beginning with the 2019-20 season. At the NHL level, Sellgren will be paid $700,000 in 2019-20 and 2020-21 and $750,000 in 2021-22. The deal pays him $70,000 annually at the AHL level and he receives a signing bonus of $260,000.

"Jesper is a solid, two-way defenseman who played for one of the top teams in Sweden in 2018-19," said Waddell. "We're looking forward to him taking the next steps in his development."

Sellgren is currently playing for the Charlotte Checkers (AHL) on a professional try-out agreement.

• Like 1

Sellgren was good. Really good for a 6th rounder. Wasn’t used a lot in bug situations in the playoff games but, was solid in the time he is given.

I assume he’ll go back to his SHL team to finish his contract and come back to Charlotte once the SHL season is over. 

Could be a guy that we do a 9 game tryout during October to buy some time for CDH / slowly walk TVR back into the lineup.

With all of our D in Charlotte; any two of McKeown, Bean, Fleury, or maybe Carrick will buy time until de Haan and TVR return. Sellgren is a depth signing for the organization, who may never see any NHL action.

16 minutes ago, AssistantGM said:

With all of our D in Charlotte; any two of McKeown, Bean, Fleury, or maybe Carrick will buy time until de Haan and TVR return. Sellgren is a depth signing for the organization, who may never see any NHL action.

The organization has to make a decision on all the defense in Charlotte.  All are without contracts, minus Bean, either RFA or UFAs.

On 5/26/2019 at 10:43 AM, OBXer said:

Defensemen take longer to develop.   Pesce and Slavin are not the norm.  More like freaks of nature.

8 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Defensemen take longer to develop.   Pesce and Slavin are not the norm.  More like freaks of nature.

Don't forget that Slavin spent 2 years developing in college, Pesce 3 years.  The freaks of nature are players like Jones, Provorov and Werenski (Hanifin was another "early starter", but he hasn't lived up to his hype).

18 hours ago, OBXer said:

Canes Sign Sellgren to Entry-Level Contract

the team has signed defenseman Jesper Sellgren to a three-year, entry-level contract, beginning with the 2019-20 season. At the NHL level, Sellgren will be paid $700,000 in 2019-20 and 2020-21 and $750,000 in 2021-22. The deal pays him $70,000 annually at the AHL level and he receives a signing bonus of $260,000.

Sellgren is currently playing for the Charlotte Checkers (AHL) on a professional try-out agreement.

I saw this yesterday and tried to see some video on him. Not much to see so holding my opinion for now.

• Like 2

Seems Calgary might be up against Cap crunch? Thoughts on Sam Bennett, a left winger whom they might not be able to afford, particularly if Ferland leaves?