The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

I would love to see a free agent day or trade deadline when Canes fans come away excited about the improvements to the team, instead of wondering what in the world just happened.

Edited by caniac6
  • Like 1

Just now, remkin said:

McKenzie (ack) says around $3.125 m AAV two years for Mrazek. That's a pretty good deal. I bet less than he was pressing us for before UFA.

The team won waiting on signing a goalie. After everyone else signed their goalies, we owned the power with Lehner & Mrazek.  Heck Lehner took one less year in Chicago. 

• Like 1

Just now, remkin said:

McKenzie (ack) says around $3.125 m AAV two years for Mrazek. That's a pretty good deal. I bet less than he was pressing us for before UFA.

I hope there is no other goalie named Mrazek. Suspiciously low AAV and term

2 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I would love to see a free agent day or trade deadline when Canes fans come away excited about the improvements to the team, instead of wondering what in the world just happened.

Last time i got excited was when we traded and signed J Staal.   I was positive we were going to watch the brothers raise a cup together here. Didn’t really pan out but he is still a solid player to have.  Anyway at least we got Mraz.   I figured that would happen, nothing exciting to see here just the same team as last year 

• Like 1

I wonder if we move Forsberg or Reimer.

if not its 

Car: Mrazek, Reimer

Cha: Ned, Fors

Greenville: Booth, Ned

i guess we could lend one out again.

So things are not looking so bad really.

What we have or got: 

#1 goalie Mrazek. 

A decent back up in Reimer with two pretty good goalies in Charlotte pushing up (and a massively high upside goalie in the draft).

Aho will be signed within a week for 5 more years.

Second line center in Haula

extra first rounder next year.

Got Mongo's entire salary off the books.

Cost:

Money,

a 6th rounder,

5th rounder, 

B level prospect (Roy).

Not so bad.

• Like 4

I'm glad we signed Mzarek.  He honestly seemed to like it here.   At least that was my impression.   I say we go with a 1A/1B combo with Reimer.

Mrazek is signed. Finally some good news.

As to Aho, I won’t feel the same about him again, but the blame for this lies with Dundon alone. DW takes his marching orders from the guy with the checkbook. Since Dundon took over we have had almost nothing but management/coaches leaving the organization and difficult negotiations with players. I posted last summer, and will again the following: TD made his fortune in the sub-prime auto lending business where you prey on the weakest borrowers with ungodly interest rates. Obviously, his management style worked wonders there. But it does not carry over to running a professional sports franchise. He’s no longer the smartest guy in the room. Maybe the opposite. Even with RB, who by all accounts is the lowest paid head coach in the league, no new contract or raise for ending 10 years of futility and taking an overachieving team to the ECF. He played chicken with his best player and lost. Now the player, the team and the fans have to deal with the fallout.

Like to update my list:

#1 goalie Mrazek. 

A decent back up in Reimer with two pretty good goalies in Charlotte pushing up (and a massively high upside goalie in the draft).

Aho will be signed within a week for 5 more years.

Second line center in Huala

extra first rounder next year.

Got Mongo's entire salary off the books.

An A draft

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I'm glad we signed Mzarek.  He honestly seemed to like it here.   At least that was my impression.   I say we go with a 1A/1B combo with Reimer.

Agree BD, and get Ned in the 10 or so games that the org said they wanted to see for this season.

35 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Oh please oh please oh please!

Report that we offered Mrazek a two year deal.

4 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Reimer’s AAV is higher than Mrazek’s.

👏🏻

Well done.

Wonder if Reimer will be here by October. Heck, by Monday. When we traded for him, one of the NHL “insiders” tweeted he might not be here long. 

Edited by bluedevilcane

I think we have 9 million left after signing McGinn and Aho.

do we save it for Williams or make ourselves available to get Kreider or TB forward when they have cap issues in a month?

or do we save it?

Edited by gocanes0506

For those wanting a break from Aho madness and some levity, check the latest Penguins blog on HB. Rutherford skewered again. I’m not sure he will be GM longer than Sullivan will be coach. Pittsburgh has more than one blogger, and they never fail to pan everything JR has done.

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think we have 9 million left after signing McGinn and Aho.

do we save it for Williams or make ourselves available to get Kreider or TB forward when they have cap issues in a month?

Is McGinn signing confirmed?

I really don't want to see him leave after buying his jersey. :D

1 minute ago, bluedevilcane said:

Wonder if Reimer will be her by October. Heck, by Monday. When we traded for him, one of the NHL “insiders” tweeted he might not be here long. 

I’m ok either way. My comment wasn’t meant to be sarcastic, I should clear that up. I meant that Mrazek’s deal is a good one.

I will say this about Reimer, he has a lot of fans. He is supposed to be one of the nicer guys in the league so he would appear to be a good locker room guy.

Can’t comment on his play, but apparently he was pretty bad last year. Many seem to think he can/will bounce back though so who knows.

It was important to get the Mrazek deal done. The day can end on a positive note.

• Like 3

I really think Reimer was and could still be insurance. He was insurance if we completely whiffed getting a goalie in UFA, but now he could be insurance that Ned is or isn't ready. Can we still send Ned down without clearing waivers? If so, I think we work Ned into games with three goalies at times and get him time in Charlotte too. If he is clearly ready, we can move Reimer. Or if Reimer struggles, give Ned the backup free and clear.  Or conversely if Reimer rediscovers his game here, he could be the new McE. 

Options, I guess, is what I'm trying to say.

Just now, Kyrule said:

I’m ok either way. My comment wasn’t meant to be sarcastic, I should clear that up. I meant that Mrazek’s deal is a good one.

I will say this about Reimer, he has a lot of fans. He is supposed to be one of the nicer guys in the league so he would appear to be a good locker room guy.

Can’t comment on his play, but apparently he was pretty bad last year. Many seem to think he can/will bounce back though so who knows.

I’m all for keeping him. If he doesn’t perform, waive him as we did Darling and send him to Charlotte. Never know when an injury might make having an experienced guy around pay off. I think he’s had some good years. Could be a good 1A/1B with Mrazek. When have we paid a backup goalie (Mongo excluded) $3+ million/year?

4 minutes ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

He has gone to arbitration so he gets a contract one way or another.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

He’s not going anywhere.

DW said McGinn filed for arbitration, so either way a deal will get done. I seriously doubt we trade him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

DW said they are working on it but Arbitration was filed. Either way a deal happens.

and Kyruke and slap beat me by a couple of seconds 

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1