The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

2 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

He has gone to arbitration so he gets a contract one way or another.

1 minute ago, Kyrule said:

He’s not going anywhere.

DW said McGinn filed for arbitration, so either way a deal will get done. I seriously doubt we trade him.

Noice.

7 minutes ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

Is McGinn signing confirmed?

I really don't want to see him leave after buying his jersey. :D

I think he's set for arbitration. OK you all are too fast for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

...and Kyrule and slap beat me by a couple of seconds 

I finished in second, so I am the first loser.

Cant help but to feel like the ex girlfriend Mraz went back to for a little while cause he was lonely and couldn't find anyone else to love him, but didn't really want to be with us.  But we are desperate so we Are just so happy he is back.  

59 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

Cant help but to feel like the ex girlfriend Mraz went back to for a little while cause he was lonely and couldn't find anyone else to love him, but didn't really want to be with us.  But we are desperate so we Are just so happy he is back.  

Not even close. Mraz thought he had proven he was worth 1A money, which no goalie with his history and game count is. Talk to me when you've started 60 games in one season--and dominated.

As others have pointed out, the fact that we're paying another guy of the same ilk MORE further proves that Mraz's little "test" of the FA market was a failure. Once we signed Reimer, we weren't the desperate ones. Petr was.

In other news, Florida today signed Bobrovsky its own death warrant. 

30 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Not even close. Mraz thought he had proven he was worth 1A money, which no goalie with his history and game count is. Talk to me when you've started 60 games in one season--and dominated.

As others have pointed out, the fact that we're paying another guy of the same ilk MORE further proves that Mraz's little "test" of the FA market was a failure. Once we signed Reimer, we weren't the desperate ones. Petr was.

In other news, Florida today signed Bobrovsky its own death warrant. 

we were his last resort when no one else wanted him.  He wanted to be a big city star.  So we kind of agree. Not sure what your point was.  He thought he would get the super hot girl and when he didnt he came back to ol trusty.  Heck we've all done it. 

All this "woe is me" stuff is fantastic.

The Canes get Aho locked up for 5 years at $8.45M per.  That is not bad.  Don't pay any attention to the money up front.  It's like buying a car and making the down payment.  No NMC or NTC is huge...huge I say.  They would not have gotten that without the offer sheet.  Tell the fans we will match, and take the full 7 days to sign just to ef with the Habs.  The hive mind wanted 8 years.  Aho wanted 5.  Aho's agent got what his client wanted.  Since the hive mind pushed for 8, they got played and will have to pay up front.  Pay the man his money.

Mrazek and Reimer is good.  No long term commitment for a guy or guys in a position that seems to have more misses than hits.  I can dig it.

• Like 3

OK my head is still spinning after today’s events...assuming we match Aho at 8.5 along with Mragic at 3.1 how much cap space do we have remaining for this year? Any chance of getting Brayden Point or is that another of my pipe dreams? 😂

1 minute ago, RickD_99 said:

OK my head is still spinning after today’s events...assuming we match Aho at 8.5 along with Mragic at 3.1 how much cap space do we have remaining for this year? Any chance of getting Brayden Point or is that another of my pipe dreams? 😂

We should have 11. Assuming McGinn gets 2 and Fleury/Forsling gets 1.2 million then we have 7.8 or so in space.

18 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

All this "woe is me" stuff is fantastic.

The Canes get Aho locked up for 5 years at $8.45M per.  That is not bad.  Don't pay any attention to the money up front.  It's like buying a car and making the down payment.  No NMC or NTC is huge...huge I say.  They would not have gotten that without the offer sheet.  Tell the fans we will match, and take the full 7 days to sign just to ef with the Habs.  The hive mind wanted 8 years.  Aho wanted 5.  Aho's agent got what his client wanted.  Since the hive mind pushed for 8, they got played and will have to pay up front.  Pay the man his money.

Mrazek and Reimer is good.  No long term commitment for a guy or guys in a position that seems to have more misses than hits.  I can dig it.

We're giving that Ruseian prospect time to develop.  He is the long and end game when it comes to goal tending.

1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

We're giving that Ruseian prospect time to develop.  He is the long and end game when it comes to goal tending.

Well, the Russian was taken in pretty much the same draft spot as Ned, and Ned is finishing his 4th post-draft year, so is that a realistic timeframe for the Russian. It would be nice if someday we could roll out 2 homegrown goalies.

7 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Well, the Russian was taken in pretty much the same draft spot as Ned, and Ned is finishing his 4th post-draft year, so is that a realistic timeframe for the Russian. It would be nice if someday we could roll out 2 homegrown goalies.

I think it was Kochetkov they were talking about during the draft that he is actually a little older and will be playing in the KHL next year. Iirc they said it should shorten his development time.

I’m guessing after the two year contracts of our goalies are up, that we will have a keen eye on where Kochetkov is at.

He's 20 in his draft year and has two years left on his KHL deal.  I've read that many think that's a good thing for his development but what do I know about goalies.

12 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

I heard a guy on XM say that Kochetkov could be in a Hurricanes uniform in 2 years, he's that good and he's already 20. He will play in the KHL, which is generally projected as the second best league on the planet. If he puts up good numbers there, he won't need much more to prove. 

Certainly we'll know about Ned by then too, but the close to his season last year was very encouraging.

So we are probably looking at right around 2 years for both of these guys. Hey, both of our goalies are on 2 year deals. Hmmm. Works out. OK, in point of fact, Ned probably gets a shot within those two years, but we are in pretty good position to try to get through until those guys are NHL ready. 

Of course, in the end, who really knows with any players, but especially goalies.

• Like 2

The goalie situation will be an interesting one over the next two years.

19-20

NHL- Mrazek, Reimer

AHL- Ned, Forsberg

ECHL-Booth, Helvig

KHL- Koch

20-21

NHL- Mrazek, Ned

AHL- Koch, Booth/Helvig

ECHL- Booth/Helvig

Trade / buyout of Reimer

21-22

NHL- Ned, UFA backup

AHL- Koch (spot NHL starts) Booth/Helvig

ECHL- Booth/Helvig

The best case scenarios for us are Reimer and Forsberg have a solid year. Maybe Forsberg can be our backup in 2 years.  If not both moved for futures.  The outlook isn’t strong for Hevlig/Booth to get regular AHL starts over the next 3 years unless we loan them out.

I have to believe Ferland's price has to be lower than what he wanted mid season. Is he worth going after? I feel like we need some toughness, but I'm not sure about Ferland. Martinook and De Haan played with injuries that required off season surgery, but Ferland missed a lot of playoff time with an injury that did not require surgery. Kind of made me question his commitment.

17 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I have to believe Ferland's price has to be lower than what he wanted mid season. Is he worth going after? I feel like we need some toughness, but I'm not sure about Ferland. Martinook and De Haan played with injuries that required off season surgery, but Ferland missed a lot of playoff time with an injury that did not require surgery. Kind of made me question his commitment.

Thank you for changing the subject.  The over reaction to the Aho business got a bit old.

I think the Canes should move on from Ferland.  I think he was a wake up call as to the type of players necessary to win, but his price comes with a price (injury prone).  Of the forward group, we have some guys who hit, such as Nino, Svech, Martinook, Saku, Foegle, and McGinn;  also, JW if he comes back and/or Gauthier. 

At this point, if JW returns, we are bringing back a similar group.  The team will be minus de Haan, McKegg, and probably Ferland, but will have added Haula (sp?), along with promotions of either Necas, Geekie, and/or Gauthier.  Since we have a strong blue line anyway, the key may be the Haula acquisition.  If he returns to the form of 2 years ago (29 goals), then this may be a more formidable group.  I can see lines of:

Svech/Aho/Turbo

Nino/Haula/Necas

Foegle/Staal/JW or Saku

Marty/Wallmark/McGinn

Next they need to take care of their remaining RFA's.

29 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I was wondering this also. I had opined way back that the only way we might end up with Ferland would be if he tested UFA and was one of those guys left without a chair and his ask came down. 

My main question outside of the terms of the deal is if Brind'Amour and the committee wants him back, and if he really wants to be back. It really felt like there were issues in the back half of his tenure and into the playoffs. Maybe it's overblown though. His injury pushed him down off the top line and left him much less effective. Personally I get the feeling that this ship has sailed. But to the argument that we need to stay physical, he is the best personification of a gritty hard hitting winger who can finish that we've had since Ruutu was in his glory. 

I can see it only if his price and especially term come down a lot from speculation of where it is.