The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

20 minutes ago, cc said:

Same amoumt of silliness IMO.  Just less real analysis to dilute the crazies talk.   In other news I'm going to attend ELO in the Cap Center this week. Will sport Canes gear just because.

I don't care for anything since Jeff Lynne decided he was a drummer and cellist and started recording new stuff by his lonesome, but back in the day ELO was my favorite and he and whatever band he has with him still do the old songs incredible justice.  Enjoy!

The Canes officially signed ex LA King organization defenseman Alex Lintuniemi.  I think his main claim to fame is that his name has all of the vowels, if you put Y to the side.  Maybe he should consider changing his last name to Lintuniemy.  Just a thought.  He is a LH shooting Dman who was a -30 playing with the AHL Ontario Reign last season.  Compare that to Roland McKeown's +30 in the same league and it does not look so good.

2 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I don't care for anything since Jeff Lynne decided he was a drummer and cellist and started recording new stuff by his lonesome, but back in the day ELO was my favorite and he and whatever band he has with him still do the old songs incredible justice.  Enjoy!

Even better is to go back further, to The Move.  Check out The Move's version of Do Ya.  Although, I have to admit the unedited version of Do Ya by ELO is great.  Much more polish than The Move version, but still very authentic.   Bev Bevan all the way.  No fake drums on any of those cuts.

3 hours ago, beboplar said:

The Canes officially signed ex LA King organization defenseman Alex Lintuniemi.  I think his main claim to fame is that his name has all of the vowels, if you put Y to the side.  Maybe he should consider changing his last name to Lintuniemy.  Just a thought.  He is a LH shooting Dman who was a -30 playing with the AHL Ontario Reign last season.  Compare that to Roland McKeown's +30 in the same league and it does not look so good.

Big (6'3", 230lbs)  23yo Finn signed to a 2-way deal.  Sounds like a player for the Checkers (and maybe a long shot raffle ticket for the Canes down the road).

Not sure what a -30 means given Ontario finished at the very bottom of the AHL and with with a -61 team goal differential.  Interesting side note: looks like Ontario played in the Pacific Division against mostly California teams.   (I was thinking Ontario Canada, lol)

Edited by LakeLivin

20 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Big (6'3", 230lbs)  23yo Finn signed to a 2-way deal.  Sounds like a player for the Checkers (and maybe a long shot raffle ticket for the Canes down the road).

Not sure what a -30 means given Ontario finished at the very bottom of the AHL and with with a -61 team goal differential.  Interesting side note: looks like Ontario played in the Pacific Division against mostly California teams.  

You say California teams as if they represent a lower standard.  The CA teams, such as San Diego, Ontario, Fresno, Bakersfield, etc, are the top affiliates of the west coast teams such as the Kings, Ducks, Oilers, Sharks, etc.  The San Diego Gulls, top affiliate of the Ducks, made it to the Calder Cup semis, losing to the Chicago team that lost to the Checkers.  -30 is -30, pretty bad no matter what league and team you play for.  My point is that I would prefer they lock down McKeown before spending money on a -30 Dman.  

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

You say California teams as if they represent a lower standard.  The CA teams, such as San Diego, Ontario, Fresno, Bakersfield, etc, are the top affiliates of the west coast teams such as the Kings, Ducks, Oilers, Sharks, etc.  The San Diego Gulls, top affiliate of the Ducks, made it to the Calder Cup semis, losing to the Chicago team that lost to the Checkers.  -30 is -30, pretty bad no matter what league and team you play for.  My point is that I would prefer they lock down McKeown before spending money on a -30 Dman.  

Actually, my reference to the Pacific Division was only related to geography.  I was thinking it weird that a team from Ontario Canada was traveling to play most of their games on the west coast.  I didn't realize that there's an Ontario California, lol. :love:

I'm with you on McKeown, but I don't see him as comparable to Lintuniemi, i.e., I don't see Lintuniemi as an alternative to McKeown.   McKeown is no longer waiver exempt and I see him as an asset the Canes need to take advantage of some way or another. 

1. make a spot for him on the Canes
  2. trade him
  3. offer him a contract similar to Ned's: multi year with maybe the first year 2-way but subsequent years 1-way.   But he'd still be exposed to waivers, and I'd be surprised if he went unclaimed, so . . .

Same issue with Fleury, no longer waiver exempt so he either needs a spot with the Canes or to be traded for a return.   These are better problems to have than when our best prospects were players like Ryan Murphy and Chris Terry.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Even better is to go back further, to The Move.  Check out The Move's version of Do Ya.  Although, I have to admit the unedited version of Do Ya by ELO is great.  Much more polish than The Move version, but still very authentic.   Bev Bevan all the way.  No fake drums on any of those cuts.

I actually have that album autographed by Bev - definitely a great band there as well.  Roy Wood was awesome.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Actually, my reference to the Pacific Division was only related to geography.  I was thinking it weird that a team from Ontario Canada was traveling to play most of their games on the west coast.  I didn't realize that there's an Ontario California, lol. :love:

I'm with you on McKeown, but I don't see him as comparable to Lintuniemi, i.e., I don't see Lintuniemi as an alternative to McKeown.   McKeown is no longer waiver exempt and I see him as an asset the Canes need to take advantage of some way or another. 

1. make a spot for him on the Canes
  2. trade him
  3. offer him a contract similar to Ned's: multi year with maybe the first year 2-way but subsequent years 1-way.   But he'd still be exposed to waivers, and I'd be surprised if he went unclaimed, so . . .

Same issue with Fleury, no longer waiver exempt so he either needs a spot with the Canes or to be traded for a return.   These are better problems to have than when our best prospects were players like Ryan Murphy and Chris Terry.

OK, that is funny.  I have lived in San Diego for almost 30 years.  Ontario is just outside San Bernardino, which is also close to San Dimas, where Alex Morgan hails from.  That is why they are the AHL affiliate of the Kings, who are an hour west of Ontario.

I have been thinking that McKeown was suitable for 3rd line duty on the Canes since about the time they acquired TVR.  I guess a lot of planning has to go into these contracts as it affects the Seattle expansion draft.  When is that anyway?

3 hours ago, beboplar said:

OK, that is funny.  I have lived in San Diego for almost 30 years.  Ontario is just outside San Bernardino, which is also close to San Dimas, where Alex Morgan hails from.  That is why they are the AHL affiliate of the Kings, who are an hour west of Ontario.

I have been thinking that McKeown was suitable for 3rd line duty on the Canes since about the time they acquired TVR.  I guess a lot of planning has to go into these contracts as it affects the Seattle expansion draft.  When is that anyway?

Yeah, I saw "Ontario", and since it's a hockey team I just defaulted to Canada.

Seattle expansion draft is in the summer of 2021. 

18 hours ago, beboplar said:

-30 is -30

I disagree with this completely.  Put Defenseman-X out on the ice with Gretzky, Lemieux, Gordie, Lidstrom, and Hasek in their primes and his +/- is going to be very different than if you put him out there with a bunch of scrubs, and Lintuniemi hasn't exactly been surrounded by Gretzkys.  That said, he's been a minus player every year he's played, consistently in the lower reaches of the stat on his team.  Admittedly i've not seen the guy play, but his numbers certainly look like the kind of defenseman who will drive me bonkers, more concerned with scoring than defending.  Give me deHaan or Didier back instead, thanks.

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

I disagree with this completely.  Put Defenseman-X out on the ice with Gretzky, Lemieux, Gordie, Lidstrom, and Hasek in their primes and his +/- is going to be very different than if you put him out there with a bunch of scrubs, and Lintuniemi hasn't exactly been surrounded by Gretzkys.  That said, he's been a minus player every year he's played, consistently in the lower reaches of the stat on his team.  Admittedly i've not seen the guy play, but his numbers certainly look like the kind of defenseman who will drive me bonkers, more concerned with scoring than defending.  Give me deHaan or Didier back instead, thanks.

Maybe signing a Finnish Dman was an undisclosed condition in the Aho offer sheet, haha.

It will be interesting to see how the Canes manage their roster with an eye towards the expansion draft.

4 hours ago, beboplar said:

Maybe signing a Finnish Dman was an undisclosed condition in the Aho offer sheet, haha.

It will be interesting to see how the Canes manage their roster with an eye towards the expansion draft.

That will be interesting, but I see a more immediate challenge.  How do the Canes manage a relatively deep prospect pool as the yutes mature and lose their waiver exempt status?   Look at our current defense:

LD:  Slavin,   Fleury,  Bean,   Forsling

Either:  Pesce

RD: Hamilton,  Faulk,   JVR,   McKeown

Of those 9 d-men only Bean is waiver exempt and I'm pretty sure that with the possible exception of Forsling any of the rest would be swept up if they hit waivers.   I'll be really surprised if the Canes don't make another trade involving our D before the season starts.  Question is, is it a blockbuster deal (Hamilton or Pecse), a medium deal (Faulk or TVR), or something smaller.   

4 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

That will be interesting, but I see a more immediate challenge.  How do the Canes manage a relatively deep prospect pool as the yutes mature and lose their waiver exempt status?   Look at our current defense:

LD:  Slavin,   Fleury,  Bean,   Forsling

Either:  Pesce

RD: Hamilton,  Faulk,   JVR,   McKeown

Of those 9 d-men only Bean is waiver exempt and I'm pretty sure that with the possible exception of Forsling any of the rest would be swept up if they hit waivers.   I'll be really surprised if the Canes don't make another trade involving our D before the season starts.  Question is, is it a blockbuster deal (Hamilton or Pecse), a medium deal (Faulk or TVR), or something smaller.   

You are right.  There are many moving parts, but in my mind Slavin and Pesce are not part of them.  They are the heart and soul of the Canes defensive corps, and off limits.  Forsling is not even signed to a contract is he?  I don't get to see many games living on the west coast;  my question the past two years has been how much better it TVR than McKeown.  He makes close to $2.5M, and McKeown probably makes $1M or less.  I don't see the team trading either Faulk or Hamilton at this point.  It could happen if management sits back and some team needs to unload a talented forward, but I don't see it right now.  Bean's exempt status means he is most likely to spend a good amount of time in Charlotte.  I don't know anything about Forsling, except he did not play full time in Chicago.  Of the nine, maybe they try to sign Forsling to a two way deal, keep Bean in Charlotte, and roll with the other 7 in Raleigh with a 3rd line rotation of TVR, Fleury, and McKeown.

47 minutes ago, beboplar said:

There are many moving parts, but in my mind Slavin and Pesce are not part of them.  They are the heart and soul of the Canes defensive corps, and off limits.  Forsling is not even signed to a contract is he?  I don't get to see many games living on the west coast;  my question the past two years has been how much better it TVR than McKeown.

Bepolar, I agree about Slavin and Pesce. The only way I see Pesce getting moved is if he requests it due to limited playing time. And I don't see that happening since HCRB praised his ability to play either side.

As for TVR, he is our 3rd best Dman in my opinion. I wouldn't want to rely on him as our top pairing, but I am confident with him in our middle pair. Obviously he won't knock Hamilton or Faulk down the lineup because of their offensive upside, but he doesn't make my blood pressure spike near as much.

• Like 1

Had to look him up. A decent summary is here: https://www.pensburgh.com/2019/7/10/20688361/nikita-gusev-trade-rumors-nhl-pittsburgh-penguins-jack-johson-bryan-rust-pens

In short, yes please.

The guy was a point machine in the KHL and internationally. Using the points translation metric he projects as a 60-70 point NHL player. Supposedly wants $4 million a year, and offers for him are second rounder, low end prospect. Well, we have extra second rounders (and first rounders), and lots of prospects. 

We need a playmaker for the PP. He led the KHL in assists.

This is our kind of pickup in that the trade price and contract seem low. 

Absolutely we should kick the tires on this guy, and kick them hard.

• Like 1

Had held out a small hope that we'd circle back to Ferland the way we did on Mrazek, but it was a small hope. Something went bad at some point here. I also wonder what the deal will be, especially wonder what term he'll get.

28 minutes ago, remkin said:

Had held out a small hope that we'd circle back to Ferland the way we did on Mrazek, but it was a small hope. Something went bad at some point here. I also wonder what the deal will be, especially wonder what term he'll get.

I don't think there was any realistic chance he was returning.  He was a good wake up call to bring attention to the physical type player this team needs.  I don't get to watch much of the team, but how would you compare Saku to Ferland?

4 years at $3.5 per?  He walked for that?  One of the two happened:

1. We lowballed him.

2. He never wanted to stay in Raleigh.

Everytime he went into the boards i was afraid hr would come out injury. Shame, but wish him well.

I maybe would have gone 3.5M x 2yrs. Time will tell if the 4 yr term was a good move by Vancouver. Not a lot of teams were lining up for him; he brings a skill that all teams need, but he wasn't in demand when free agency began.