The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

I also think we should give Foegele and Maenalanen a little time down in the AHL. Don’t get me wrong, they were solid as 4th line players for us this year, but I think we still need to sign some righties (especially if Williams, a righty, decides to retire)

5 minutes ago, Alex C. said:

I also think we should give Foegele and Maenalanen a little time down in the AHL. Don’t get me wrong, they were solid as 4th line players for us this year, but I think we still need to sign some righties (especially if Williams, a righty, decides to retire)

I would not send Foegele back down because of the way he ended the year, especially in the playoffs.  I was a fan of sending him down mid-season, but that ship has sailed I think, but for good reasons.

On 7/10/2019 at 2:16 PM, AWACSooner said:

4 years at $3.5 per?  He walked for that?  One of the two happened:

1. We lowballed him.

2. He never wanted to stay in Raleigh.

That's  a good deal for Vancouver.

33 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

That's  a good deal for Vancouver.

As with so many things, we shall see? May be excellent BUT he was having mounting fragility issues and his playoff period was forgettable. 

17 minutes ago, AssistantGM said:

Maybe we didn't want him back!

That would be a good bet, that's why I'm reserving my opinion. While it is possible that toward the end of the season he was angling toward a large salary to bring him into retirement, if that was the reason he backed off, it backfired on him. Vancouver may regret a 4 year contract?

Ferland with the Nasty Nucks.  Maybe I'm one of the few who liked him (or the potential) for what he was "capable" of bringing. I understand the flip side as well.  Wish him well back in the Pacific.

3 hours ago, Alex C. said:

No way Foegele clears waivers.

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

Ferland with the Nasty Nucks.  Maybe I'm one of the few who liked him (or the potential) for what he was "capable" of bringing. I understand the flip side as well.  Wish him well back in the Pacific.

He didn’t want to stay here and I’m sure Rod had issues with his durability (and possibly work ethic)

4 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

He didn’t want to stay here and I’m sure Rod had issues with his durability (and possibly work ethic)

Its too bad. The last thing we need is mental baggage while we have a good thing going. Throw it in the Mongo bin of disappointments.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, remkin said:

One thing is for sure, anything can happen at camp. Guys get better over the summer, get hot in pre season. Look at Foegele. If I were Gauthier I'd hit everything that moved in camp and preseason. I still have Necas a solid step ahead of Gauthier though.

I agree with the notion that camp fosters competition, and that one player or another may make strides in the off season.  Obviously Foegle came to camp and won a job last fall.  Some of these players have higher ceilings than others, so just because Wallmark, for example, was on the roster all last year does not mean he can't be leap frogged by someone such as Geekie.  The Canes can not afford to be soft, so keep your eyes on Gauthier.  I think he likes to go to the net and may be hard to push out of there.  Necas may play a role this season, but it is not guaranteed.

3 hours ago, AssistantGM said:

Maybe we didn't want him back!

This. He wussed out last year big time, and he doesn't know how to throw a check without hurting himself. Sayonara.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Necas may play a role this season, but it is not guaranteed.

Necas can't play at this level yet. Simple as that. 

10 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

But I hope he proves you wrong top.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

We'll see.

12 hours ago, beboplar said:

I agree with the notion that camp fosters competition, and that one player or another may make strides in the off season.  Obviously Foegle came to camp and won a job last fall.  Some of these players have higher ceilings than others, so just because Wallmark, for example, was on the roster all last year does not mean he can't be leap frogged by someone such as Geekie.  The Canes can not afford to be soft, so keep your eyes on Gauthier.  I think he likes to go to the net and may be hard to push out of there.  Necas may play a role this season, but it is not guaranteed.

Absolutely. I am predicting Necas makes it. But it's a bet, not a bet the house. Wallmark has a huge inside track on Geekie though and I might put the house on that (OK, no I won't). Wallmark dominated at the AHL level for a prolonged period, and has been serviceable at the NHL level. Also, he does not have enough NHL games to call him a scoring bust yet as last year was really his rookie season with 11 games previously. Don't get me wrong, I love Geekie's upside, but IMO it would take an injury at center for him to get a shot out of camp. 

7 minutes ago, OBXer said:

First, holy crap Batman!!! That is a significant move. This guy may or may not have just had a career year, but he was a substantial name in the UFA pool. Further, he's a center, so not only is my last post just a minute ago outdated for Geekie, who now has a snowball's chance in heck, but Wallmark should start sweating.

This, and Huala, gets it done.

Does this mean J Williams might be leaning to retirement? I'd be more surprised about this with J Willy than sans J Willy. But if Williams does come back we are suddenly very very deep upfront. 

This is GREAT.

• Like 1

I thought we might make another move but this took me a bit by surprise. Looks like another score for the committee.

Dzingel deal is a two-year, $6.75 million contract. He will  make $3.25 million next season and $3.5 million in 2020-21.

• Like 2