The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

52 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Seems Calgary might be up against Cap crunch? Thoughts on Sam Bennett, a left winger whom they might not be able to afford, particularly if Ferland leaves?

If Ferland leaves and the Canes choose to acquire a forward from another organization, I think the key is that they must play a physical game.  Certainly, the addition of Ferland, Martinook, and Nino had a large impact upon the Canes success this season.  I am an advocate in letting the Canes prospects earn their way onto the roster.  Not being able to watch Checkers games, not sure how many bring that physical element.  Gauthier?  Who else amongst Kuok, Saarela, Geekie, Necas, Roy, Matheos, etc. offers that element in their game?

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Seems Calgary might be up against Cap crunch? Thoughts on Sam Bennett, a left winger whom they might not be able to afford, particularly if Ferland leaves?

Sam Bennett seems like an okay option.  I feel like we have a decent options in Charlotte that could put up 27 points.

Running List of potential cap casualties to trade for:

K. Kapanen RW TOR

A Johnsson C/LW TOR

K Kadri C TOR

S Bennett W/C CAL

W Karlsson C VGK

E Haula C VGK

J Miller C/W TBL

List of really want to cap dump to make room (but highly unlikely)

LW Marleau TOR

LW Lucic EDM

RW Neal CAL (got the skinner treatment from BP)

Clarkson LTIR VGK

RW Callahan TBL

May move to make space:

F Toffoli LAK

RW Perry ANA

C Turri NAS (if they truly are trying to get Duchene)

F Palat TBL

LW Hoffman FLA (if they are trying for Panarin and Bob)

The entire Wild roster over 25 years old, minus the goalie

RW Kessel PIT

feel free to let me know and I can add.

Is it possible that Mrazek and McElhinney over performed or could this have just been just  natural  talent  coming through ?  I Want to keep both Goalies but I at the Same time don't want to risk over paying for either  !

23 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Sam Bennett seems like an okay option.  I feel like we have a decent options in Charlotte that could put up 27 points.

Running List of potential cap casualties to trade for:

K. Kapanen RW TOR 

A Johnsson C/LW TOR 

K Kadri C TOR  X

S Bennett W/C CAL X 

W Karlsson C VGK  

E Haula C VGK  

J Miller C/W TBL  

List of really want to cap dump to make room (but highly unlikely)

LW Marleau TOR X

LW Lucic EDM  X 

RW Neal CAL (got the skinner treatment from BP) X

Clarkson LTIR VGK  X

RW Callahan TBL  X

May move to make space:

F Toffoli LAK  

RW Perry ANA  X

C Turri NAS (if they truly are trying to get Duchene)  X

F Palat TBL ✓ 

LW Hoffman FLA (if they are trying for Panarin and Bob)  X

The entire Wild roster over 25 years old, minus the goalie  X

RW Kessel PIT  X

feel free to let me know and I can add.

The check marks are yes , and the X's  are no's    , just my opinion !

Already has been discussed.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-off-season-watch-could-marner-point-and-karlsson-end-the-offer-sheet-drought-1.1313939

Marner not likeley and not recommeded anyway.(4 1st rounders, give me a break he aint Gretzky.)    This comment might apply to a team that wants to spend money just to spend (cough cough Rangers) if they had it under the cap.

Now Kapanen would be much more likely IMO.  Him having legacy ties to the ORG has always been a plus.  And his Deddy  was the real deal.

Excerpt below-

"TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger said earlier this week he expects Marner's camp to at least hear out other teams ahead of July 1 and opined the Toronto Maple Leafs would have to make an offer with an average annual value above $10 million over the next month to keep him from doing so. Clinton suggests that the New Jersey Devils and Carolina Hurricanes have the cap space to make Marner an $11 million per year offer, which would net the Maple Leafs a return of four first-round picks if unmatched.

Clinton notes Kapanen could be a target since a team would have to send the Maple Leafs only a second-round pick if he's signed to a deal under $4.227 million. "

7 minutes ago, cc said:

Already has been discussed.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-off-season-watch-could-marner-point-and-karlsson-end-the-offer-sheet-drought-1.1313939

Marner not likeley and not recommeded anyway.(4 1st rounders, give me a break he aint Gretzky.)    This comment might apply to a team that wants to spend money just to spend (cough cough Rangers) if they had it under the cap.

Now Kapanen would be much more likely IMO.  Him having legacy ties to the ORG has always been a plus.  And his Deddy  was the real deal.

Excerpt below-

"TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger said earlier this week he expects Marner's camp to at least hear out other teams ahead of July 1 and opined the Toronto Maple Leafs would have to make an offer with an average annual value above $10 million over the next month to keep him from doing so. Clinton suggests that the New Jersey Devils and Carolina Hurricanes have the cap space to make Marner an $11 million per year offer, which would net the Maple Leafs a return of four first-round picks if unmatched.

Clinton notes Kapanen could be a target since a team would have to send the Maple Leafs only a second-round pick if he's signed to a deal under $4.227 million. "

I can't see Marner getting an $11m per offer from anyone, Leafs included.  I could see someone possibly offering him, say, 4 years at 10.15 or less, which would cost two 1sts,  a 2nd, and a 3rd.  And depending on what the Leafs are offering (and Marner's view of the team extending the offer sheet), I could see him possibly considering it as kind of an "intermediate bridge deal".  He'd come off the contract at 26 years old as a UFA primed for a long term big money contract.

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I can't see Marner getting an $11m per offer from anyone, Leafs included.  I could see someone possibly offering him, say, 4 years at 10.15 or less, which would cost two 1sts,  a 2nd, and a 3rd.  And depending on what the Leafs are offering (and Marner's view of the team extending the offer sheet), I could see him possibly considering it as kind of an "intermediate bridge deal".  He'd come off the contract at 26 years old as a UFA primed for a long term big money contract.

Gotcha but was not actually suggesting we go for him. Kapanen more likely. 

• Like 1

4 years at just over $10 million for Marner I assume the Leafs would find a way to match. They might have to part with Kapenen to afford Marner. Could we do that by trade (sign and trade by Leafs) instead of an offer sheet. Maybe this could be the elusive D for O trade. If we really want to re-sign Faulk and roll with the 6 guys we’ve got, maybe Fleury plus our first, and maybe another pick if need be. Fleury would give Toronto a cost controlled 3rd pair defenseman at a budget that allows them to afford all that high priced offensive talent. 

As as an aside, I know Tavares is really good, but didn’t the Leafs see this cap crunch coming when they ponied up for him on top of what they are paying Matthews? If Marner does get $10 million plus per year, they will have over $30 million of cap space tied up in 3 players when everyone is predicting a cap of around $83 million next year. That leaves $53 million to sign the remaining 17-20 players on the team.

9 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

If Marner does get $10 million plus per year, they will have over $30 million of cap space tied up in 3 players when everyone is predicting a cap of around $83 million next year. That leaves $53 million to sign the remaining 17-20 players on the team. 

Yep - they are screwed.

Canes Sign Luostarinen to Entry-Level Contract

Eetu has already played three professional seasons in Finland and managed to increase his production every year," said Waddell. "We're excited to see what he can bring to our organization."

The Siilinjarvi, Finland, native was drafted by the Hurricanes in the second round, 42nd overall, of the 2017 NHL Draft.

I'm not sure that the Canes will make any headline moves in the offseason.  Certainly signing Aho is top on their list, signing one or both of their goalies #2, hopefully getting JW back for 1-2 seasons #3.  I think they will move Fleury because of his one way status moving forward.  Ferland most likely moves on, leaving maybe 3 forward positions for Checkers to compete for, including Wallmark and Saku, along with Necas, Gauthier, Roy, Brown, Saarela, and Kuok.  Don't think they will actively look to move one of their top Dmen, but teams may come shopping.  Slavin and Pesce, and to a lesser extent, de Haan, are off limits, making Hamilton the most marketable asset (unfortunately for him).  That said, unless a really formidable forward, preferably RH shooting, is offered in return, don't count on any big moves.

Just my opinion as always, but I wanted to interject this on proposals regarding Marner. He undoubtedly is a good, not great, player and would be a tremendous boost to our goal scoring, sniper needs, but I just wonder at the proposals being bantering around here. I mean, we have a home grown and developed goal scoring gym in Aho, whom most are suggesting a salary in the $9-9.5 range, and all of a sudden, many appear to want to bring in a player from another organization, and pay him $2 million more? I'm not sure he's worth that, and further, does that act set up some resentment in what we are told is/was a "close" locker room? Personally, if possible, I'd set my sights on Kapanen whom I think would be a much better fit, particularly if Marner is possibly demonstrating his potentially malcontent, elitist attitude? If that be the case, and I might be reading things about him incorrectly, as I do think these players should be paid FAIRLY, but I doubt he'd be a RBA type of player with a disruptive ego?

Now, does this new signee, Luostarinen, have a potential to be the 2nd coming of Aho? Hmmmm

Edited by KJUNKANE

This is the utter most dead zone if one has limited interest in the Finals. This and that time between UFA and Camp. There really are hardly even any decent rumors effecting us. It is nice that Luostarinen is signed, but really he just joins the very deep Checkers bench, and at this point is working on being Kuokkanen more than being Aho. Hey, Kuok still has potential, so that's good. 

Dreams of signing Marner (a guy one slot away from us drafting him potentially), is fun, but not happening. I would want him though. The locker room can figure it out. This guy put up 94 points in 82 games all as a 21 year old, and has already put up 17 points in 20 playoff games. At first glance, it seemed a bit scandalous, him asking for something near Auston Matthew's money. The nerve of this kid. But then he scored 1.15 points per game, to Mathews 1.09. The point is that he really is elite enough to be at close to Matthews money. It's one thing to be unrealistically arrogant, another to prove you are as good as you want to be paid. But how can Toronto let him walk? They will have to match, even if it means dumping half of the rest of the team. 

Marner would put us into that elite spot. He is exactly what we need. This is a wizard playmaker. He would instantly fix the PP and up our game phenomenally. He was plus 22. Having him and Aho, and Svech and TT.....wow. And he'd be worth paying. But we can't get him. 4 first rounders? That is too big price even for me (by one). But really it's about Toronto matching, which is almost automatic. Maybe we could offer up a solid D man and a mega package for him, but even then does Marner really want to move from the Mecca to, well here? Can't see it anywhere outside of fantasy.

Anyways, what makes this time of year so hard is that so many things could happen that it's hard to even envision them. The draft is too hard to read where we are picking. All of those clustered picks beg for a trade, but draft time deals, while much discussed, have been rare here. Big time UFA's don't tend to be even sniffing around here, and plus, some of them will sign with their teams and suddenly be off the table. Trades? Ha! Predicting trades is like predicting the exact finishing order of the Kentucky Derby. Good luck with that. (Doesn't mean I don't try sometimes). 

In  general sense, I have more hope than some on here that a move or two will be made. Although Brind'Amour has been quick to backtrack on demanding new players, more than once since our Boston loss, he has said we need to get better with the clear implication that he means new additions, (before adding that 'getting better can also mean guys already here').  What I'm saying in that run on sentence is that Brindy wants an upgrade from outside, but realizes he's got to be careful saying that publicly).

I don't know if we make that long anticipated big D for O move. It's been obvious for a good while without happening yet. Clearly we have not liked the offers thusfar, and I don't see us lowering our valuations. Personally, I think that is the impediment. We are not going to just give Pesce or Faulk away, and TVR or Fleury aren't returning anything. I guess Dougy has value, but he also has value to us. (There are a lot of things that if they didn't happen, no playoffs, but Dougies 2nd in the NHL 18 goals are one of them). 

But I still think something happens. Why? Because Rod says we need to get better, and despite the great run, going out the way we did should make it clear that we need more firepower to DW, TD and the rest of the committee too. So the need is there and has been expressed by the committee.

And, TD has shown that he is not a Francician slow-build, hands-sitter-on. Not counting the coach, we made a pretty good number of moves last off-season (and in season), so making none this off-season, for once, seems like the bad bet to me. I just get the feeling that Dundon wants to make a splash or at least a solid addition on the base of all of this momentum in winning and in STH sales. 

Where do we fit another forward? We have, IMO exactly one slot in the top 9 if JWilliams stays, and two if he goes. Slide Foegele to line 4 and it's 2 or 3. 

1. Aho 2. TT 3. Svech 4. Nino 5. Staal 6. J Willy 7. Foegele 8. Necas 9. OPEN. 

(Martinook plus for the 4th line).

The better the player we get for OPEN, the higher up he slots and pushes others down.  The best playmaking center we can get would be my choice.

I like a lot of checkers, and just ask Foegele what can happen in camp. So yes, Kuok or Saarela, or Gauthier, et all could blow doors and force themselves onto the team, but IMO Necas is the elite talent, and the others are less likely. This is my prediction, others might not put him there, but I'd bet he's there. We can still find an upgrade out there for one more top 9 forward IMO.

But all of those Checkers and prospects do make the whole thing that much harder to predict too.  I guess it's most interesting because it could go either way. 

But it's probably not going to be interesting for a couple more weeks......the draft is June 21-22. 

12 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

French media knows TD

French saying if anyone would sign Marner to an offer sheet it would be TD.  

That would be one heck of a splash. I'm seeing:

$8,454,872-$10,568,589:
2 1sts , 2nd, 3rd

So we could offer $10.568 million and it would be two firsts a second and a third. That would be beyond worth it. Toronto probably matches it, but who knows?

Or we could go lower on Brayden Pointe or Mikko Rantanen, (though the Avs have huge cap room to match).

15 minutes ago, remkin said:

$8,454,872-$10,568,589:
2 1sts , 2nd, 3rd

So we could offer $10.568 million and it would be two firsts a second and a third. That would be beyond worth it. Toronto probably matches it, but who knows?

Or we could go lower on Brayden Pointe or Mikko Rantanen, (though the Avs have huge cap room to match).

How many offer sheets can a team do? We can offer sheet Marner and if Toronto matches then offer sheet Kapanen

9 hours ago, remkin said:

This is the utter most dead zone if one has limited interest in the Finals. This and that time between UFA and Camp. There really are hardly even any decent rumors effecting us. It is nice that Luostarinen is signed, but really he just joins the very deep Checkers bench, and at this point is working on being Kuokkanen more than being Aho. Hey, Kuok still has potential, so that's good. 

Dreams of signing Marner (a guy one slot away from us drafting him potentially), is fun, but not happening. I would want him though. The locker room can figure it out. This guy put up 94 points in 82 games all as a 21 year old, and has already put up 17 points in 20 playoff games. At first glance, it seemed a bit scandalous, him asking for something near Auston Matthew's money. The nerve of this kid. But then he scored 1.15 points per game, to Mathews 1.09. The point is that he really is elite enough to be at close to Matthews money. It's one thing to be unrealistically arrogant, another to prove you are as good as you want to be paid. But how can Toronto let him walk? They will have to match, even if it means dumping half of the rest of the team. 

Marner would put us into that elite spot. He is exactly what we need. This is a wizard playmaker. He would instantly fix the PP and up our game phenomenally. He was plus 22. Having him and Aho, and Svech and TT.....wow. And he'd be worth paying. But we can't get him. 4 first rounders? That is too big price even for me (by one). But really it's about Toronto matching, which is almost automatic. Maybe we could offer up a solid D man and a mega package for him, but even then does Marner really want to move from the Mecca to, well here? Can't see it anywhere outside of fantasy.

Then there's that?

1 hour ago, remkin said:

$8,454,872-$10,568,589:
2 1sts , 2nd, 3rd

Those picks will be tough to give up for 5 years of service.  No deadline pickups for 2 years.

i like Marner but I don’t think its a wise investment.  It one heck of a splash that the would get the momentum train to another speed but, I think it would hurt too much.

9 hours ago, remkin said:

Anyways, what makes this time of year so hard is that so many things could happen that it's hard to even envision them. The draft is too hard to read where we are picking. All of those clustered picks beg for a trade, but draft time deals, while much discussed, have been rare here. Big time UFA's don't tend to be even sniffing around here, and plus, some of them will sign with their teams and suddenly be off the table. Trades? Ha! Predicting trades is like predicting the exact finishing order of the Kentucky Derby. Good luck with that. (Doesn't mean I don't try sometimes). 

In  general sense, I have more hope than some on here that a move or two will be made. Although Brind'Amour has been quick to backtrack on demanding new players, more than once since our Boston loss, he has said we need to get better with the clear implication that he means new additions, (before adding that 'getting better can also mean guys already here').  What I'm saying in that run on sentence is that Brindy wants an upgrade from outside, but realizes he's got to be careful saying that publicly).

I don't know if we make that long anticipated big D for O move. It's been obvious for a good while without happening yet. Clearly we have not liked the offers thusfar, and I don't see us lowering our valuations. Personally, I think that is the impediment. We are not going to just give Pesce or Faulk away, and TVR or Fleury aren't returning anything. I guess Dougy has value, but he also has value to us. (There are a lot of things that if they didn't happen, no playoffs, but Dougies 2nd in the NHL 18 goals are one of them). 

But I still think something happens. Why? Because Rod says we need to get better, and despite the great run, going out the way we did should make it clear that we need more firepower to DW, TD and the rest of the committee too. So the need is there and has been expressed by the committee.

And, TD has shown that he is not a Francician slow-build, hands-sitter-on. Not counting the coach, we made a pretty good number of moves last off-season (and in season), so making none this off-season, for once, seems like the bad bet to me. I just get the feeling that Dundon wants to make a splash or at least a solid addition on the base of all of this momentum in winning and in STH sales. 

Where do we fit another forward? We have, IMO exactly one slot in the top 9 if JWilliams stays, and two if he goes. Slide Foegele to line 4 and it's 2 or 3. 

1. Aho 2. TT 3. Svech 4. Nino 5. Staal 6. J Willy 7. Foegele 8. Necas 9. OPEN. 

(Martinook plus for the 4th line).

The better the player we get for OPEN, the higher up he slots and pushes others down.  The best playmaking center we can get would be my choice.

I like a lot of checkers, and just ask Foegele what can happen in camp. So yes, Kuok or Saarela, or Gauthier, et all could blow doors and force themselves onto the team, but IMO Necas is the elite talent, and the others are less likely. This is my prediction, others might not put him there, but I'd bet he's there. We can still find an upgrade out there for one more top 9 forward IMO.

But all of those Checkers and prospects do make the whole thing that much harder to predict too.  I guess it's most interesting because it could go either way. 

But it's probably not going to be interesting for a couple more weeks......the draft is June 21-22. 

McGinn is a good role playing forward for this squad, so I think your 1st 7 forwards (including a resigned JW), plus Brock and Martinook, leave 3 starting forwards, which were filled this year by Ferland, Wallmark, McKegg, and Saku.  Those 4 spots are wide open, and while Wallmark and Saku may have more NHL miles on them than the Checkers prospects, may the best players win.

10 hours ago, remkin said:

The locker room can figure it out. This guy put up 94 points in 82 games all as a 21 year old, and has already put up 17 points in 20 playoff games. At first glance, it seemed a bit scandalous,

rem, "the locker room can figure it out". Do you really want to take this chance? Scoring is great, but if not playing together then all you get is a dysfunctional mess, not unlike the Oilers? Seems to me that the biggest strength of the Canes 2018 was their bond, and eroding that despite the 1.15 points per game, particularly if the player is sort of "captive audience" and his heart is north of the border, does not appeal to me? 

Edited by KJUNKANE

47 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

rem, "the locker room can figure it out". Do you really want to take this chance? Scoring is great, but if not playing together then all you get is a dysfunctional mess, not unlike the Oilers? Seems to me that the biggest strength of the Canes 2018 was their bond, and eroding that despite the 1.15 points per game, particularly if the player is sort of "captive audience" and his heart is north of the border, does not appeal to me? 

My own personal feeling which I derive entirely from what ex players have said, is very few players will upset a functional locker room. There are a few, who are cancerous. (Interstingly Patrick O Sullivan claimed that Mike Hoffman was one of those guys, and Florida picked him up cheap and he scored a goodly amount of points and they missed the playoffs). Those are basically guys with personality disorders and flat out uber selfish. If Marner is that, a bad teammate, then absolutely not. But just because he wants to be paid full value, I don't have a problem with Aho having to deal with making a bit less than Marner. Is he a prima donna? If not, then I'll take his 90 points and instant fix of the PP. 

He would make us instant cup contenders, and as Necas and Svech round out? We'll have a super team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Those picks will be tough to give up for 5 years of service.  No deadline pickups for 2 years.

i like Marner but I don’t think its a wise investment.  It one heck of a splash that the would get the momentum train to another speed but, I think it would hurt too much.

Mariner is the kind of talent that is incredibly hard to find. We have three second rounders this year, and probably two next year. We have a deep system. To be honest, this team is so young and has so much in the system, that I think we probably could forgo 4 first rounders, but that is just a bridge too far for me. But two firsts, a second and a third?

Imagine proposing that trade? No offer sheet. Just, "We'll give you two first round picks (probably late ones), a second and a thrid and you give us an elite playmaking forward just coming into his prime who scores over a point per game. Basically a superstar.

Honestly with what Svech is clearly going to be, and what I think Necas will be, and the depth we already have and will draft this year? Imagine Aho, TT, Svech, Nino, Staal, Marner, Necas....Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk, DeHaan, TVR.   Seriously, might not need to draft for 5 years. 

7 hours ago, remkin said:

Mariner is the kind of talent that is incredibly hard to find.

Yes, you gotta be able to tie really complex knots, each tuned to the occasion.  Having a strong stomach, and perhaps even a taste for rum is helpful.

I wouldn't qualify because I don't even know what a "jib" is, let alone I can't figure out "port" from "starboard."  I think I know what "aft" is, so there's that.

• Like 1

You've made a good case rem, and admittedly I have not watched the kid, and when all is said and done that firepower you fantasize is attractive. I suppose my reservation is primarily based on "buy in" and whether or not these Canadian born kids can truly put heart and soul into Raleigh and the Canes. While RBA did, so I know it's possible, but is the attraction of playing for Toronto, Montreal or other always on the back burner? Truth be told, if most of you on here are correct, most hockey players no matter from where they hail, do not see Raleigh as a destination, so that might be a moot point?

And maybe, after dreaming of all kinds of elite players thru these past 20+ years that I'd love to see on our team, only to be passed over like a red headed stepchild, I don't want to get my hopes up for this one only to realize come Sept '19 that "we like our team" and instead have signed a great 3rd line player? Cynic in me!!!