Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Thats when they sign their ELC. He signed his ELC at age 20

 

Gotcha.  But it's either 160 games or 3 years from signing his contract, whichever comes first.  He hit 3 years this past May.  I'd love it if I'm wrong on this and he's still exempt.  That would relieve some pressure on what to do with all our desirable d-men.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OBXer said:

 

Nice pick-up by the Hurricanes. Two-year deal brings him to the Seattle expansion draft. If he works out for the team, sign him to an extension next summer as an RFA. If not, leave him exposed and Seattle will probably take him as depth scoring and speed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

I actually think that all three NYC teams make it to the playoffs next season...as well as the Craps and Canes.  I think the Pens will be on the outside.  Philly will barely miss as well...and the BJ’s will be a dumpster fire.

Doesn’t matter. We’re taking the Metro this season 😎👍🏽

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember watching Dzingel with the Sens, and thinking, man that guy can fly! We may have lost some physicality in Ferland; but with Haula and Dizingel we got way faster. The Canes played fast last season; but with these additions, and maybe Necas; it's going to give some teams fits trying to keep up. You can only hit what you can catch.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bing_Chow said:

Wow, he can drop the mitts too! Ferland who?

 

2 hours ago, playruffcaniac said:

Well Coastal we may have found our gritty player.

 

I was hoping some astute posters would pick up on that.  :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, remkin said:

 

First, holy crap Batman!!! That is a significant move. This guy may or may not have just had a career year, but he was a substantial name in the UFA pool. Further, he's a center, so not only is my last post just a minute ago outdated for Geekie, who now has a snowball's chance in heck, but Wallmark should start sweating.

 

This, and Huala, gets it done.

 

Does this mean J Williams might be leaning to retirement? I'd be more surprised about this with J Willy than sans J Willy. But if Williams does come back we are suddenly very very deep upfront. 

 

This is GREAT.

I have to get over to the "rate the committee thread," because I haven't voted yet... but I'll just say this: We don't have room for anybody we're not sure about whether it's Wallmark or Necas or Ned of Geekie or whomever.  The longer we keep a winning core together in CLT, the more we engrain in them the EXPECTATION of winning, versus the HOPE that it happens. And that's how you build a winning culture.

 

This move shows that we are willing to wait until our homegrowns are ready, and will spend what we must in the short term to get to the point that we have a ready supply of guys who are just dying to get here and show what they can do, versus hoping they'll stick, which is what we had for the past 10 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

nino  aho   williams 

svechnikov  staal  turbo

dzingle  wallmark   haula   

mcginn  martinook foegle 

 

slavin  hamilton 

pesce  faulk  

fleury  bean , ( till tvr  comes back ) 

 

mrazek 

ned  

 

Don't think Williams has the speed for top line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, hockeybaby said:

 

Don't think Williams has the speed for top line.

Nope Williams will be in a much more suited to him 3rd line role. He seemed aggravated at times he wasn't keeping up, this should put him in a spot in the lineup to be more successful and have more fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

 

Gotcha.  But it's either 160 games or 3 years from signing his contract, whichever comes first.  He hit 3 years this past May.  I'd love it if I'm wrong on this and he's still exempt.  That would relieve some pressure on what to do with all our desirable d-men.  

If true, I don’t see how we carry two non-waiver left handers past TVR coming back full strength.  Unless Bean is destined to stay in Charlotte all next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Nope Williams will be in a much more suited to him 3rd line role. He seemed aggravated at times he wasn't keeping up, this should put him in a spot in the lineup to be more successful and have more fun.

Put him on the 4th line and mentor the up and comers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to be a wet blanket but Dzingel is not a very physical player. Speed and his shot are his game. I’m excited about the signing, but I’m not expecting him to have a physical presence. Which is fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

If true, I don’t see how we carry two non-waiver left handers past TVR coming back full strength.  Unless Bean is destined to stay in Charlotte all next season.

 

Even if Bean is slated for Charlotte, seems like we've still got one more non-exempt NHL level d-men than we can "protect"  after TVR comes back (unless we carry 8).   Hence my prediction that the committee will deal at least one of our young defenders before the season begins.

 

Thank goodness Pesce is as good on the left side as he is on the right.  At least that gives the Canes some flexibility with regard to moving the pieces around as needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

Yes, and he's very patient, too; holding on to the puck until the goalie exposes himself, if he has to.

In that case I'd  shoot for the groin.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

In that case I'd  shoot for the groin.

Agree 100%.  This is a family sport; we don't need those kind of antics on the ice!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AssistantGM said:

I remember watching Dzingel with the Sens, and thinking, man that guy can fly! We may have lost some physicality in Ferland; but with Haula and Dizingel we got way faster. The Canes played fast last season; but with these additions, and maybe Necas; it's going to give some teams fits trying to keep up. You can only hit what you can catch.

The Canes essentially took de Naan's and Ferland's dollars and added Haula and Dzingel.  If JW returns, that results in a net +30 goals or so, which is not a bad thing.  The addition of Dzingel, though, makes me think Necas will spend the winter in Charlotte.  I see an opportunity for Saku to jump into the role played by Ferland and keep some of the bodies off Aho and Turbo.  

Management has had an A+ off season, beginning with a great draft and signing back both Petr and Aho, along with adding 2 skilled forwards.  They have some work to do, but this is a better team on Day 1 of training camp than last year.

Edited by beboplar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, beboplar said:

The Canes essentially took de Naan's and Ferland's dollars and added Haula and Dzingel.  If JW returns, that results in a net +30 goals or so, which is not a bad thing.  The addition of Dzingel, though, makes me think Necas will spend the winter in Charlotte.  I see an opportunity for Saku to jump into the role played by Ferland and keep some of the bodies off Aho and Turbo.  

Management has had an A+ off season, beginning with a great draft and signing back both Petr and Aho, along with adding 2 skilled forwards.  They have some work to do, but this is a better team on Day 1 of training camp than last year.

And keep in mind that Svech is a big KID, and going to continue growing . Although he is to skilled to be an enforcer type he can certainly be a guy the other team doesnt want to **** off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I have to admit looking at the cap, that we needed to clear DeHaan or Faulk's salary out, and Faulk is much harder to move. I LOVE the pickups of Haula and Dzingle, so that really eases the hit. But I just have to reserve judgement on the return. I'll admit that the return on Skinner was an issue too, but then one pick turned into a grade A goalie prospect, and the options were limited, so over time that trade looks better and hopefully this one will too. But we need to see something from at least one of the guys we picked up to fully evaluate that specific move. The cap clearing was needed, but did we get a fair return? We did trade an injured player so that has to decrease value. Time will tell on the return part. 

 

The major story though is every other move made seems like a winner straight up, including pretty much our entire draft. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, remkin said:

But I just have to reserve judgement on the return

Not following your thoughts here rem? Are you thinking Haula and Dzingle do not equal DeHaan, because if so, as much as I loved DeHaan, I just do not agree. DeHaan was great team guy, and really brought a steading influence, but the potential scoring by these 2 new additions, to me, more than offsets CDH. Sorry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a curiosity question.   Why did a player like Andrew Poturalski  get away from us?  I am copying the following from the Ducks website.  " Poturalski, 25 (1/14/94), helped lead the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL) to the 2019 Calder Cup Championship after collecting 12-11=23 points with a +15 rating in 18 AHL playoff games. Poturalski was named the MVP of the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs after leading all skaters in points and goals, co-leading in game-winning goals (3) and plus/minus, and ranking tied for fourth in assists."  If anyone can explain why we would let a player like this get away I would appreciate it.   I watched all of the Checkers playoff games and Poturalski was very visible.   He was easily one of the best players on the ice.  And to top it all off he shoots right handed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...