The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

14 minutes ago, snuffy72 said:

This is a curiosity question.   Why did a player like Andrew Poturalski  get away from us?  I am copying the following from the Ducks website.  " Poturalski, 25 (1/14/94), helped lead the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL) to the 2019 Calder Cup Championship after collecting 12-11=23 points with a +15 rating in 18 AHL playoff games. Poturalski was named the MVP of the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs after leading all skaters in points and goals, co-leading in game-winning goals (3) and plus/minus, and ranking tied for fourth in assists."  If anyone can explain why we would let a player like this get away I would appreciate it.   I watched all of the Checkers playoff games and Poturalski was very visible.   He was easily one of the best players on the ice.  And to top it all off he shoots right handed. 

He is a fantastic player. He would be the 16th forward to make the roster.

he probably wanted a better shot at getting on NHL ice.

15 minutes ago, snuffy72 said:

This is a curiosity question.   Why did a player like Andrew Poturalski  get away from us?  I am copying the following from the Ducks website.  " Poturalski, 25 (1/14/94), helped lead the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL) to the 2019 Calder Cup Championship after collecting 12-11=23 points with a +15 rating in 18 AHL playoff games. Poturalski was named the MVP of the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs after leading all skaters in points and goals, co-leading in game-winning goals (3) and plus/minus, and ranking tied for fourth in assists."  If anyone can explain why we would let a player like this get away I would appreciate it.   I watched all of the Checkers playoff games and Poturalski was very visible.   He was easily one of the best players on the ice.  And to top it all off he shoots right handed. 

Great question.  Canes management called up practically every other forward prospect from Charlotte, and have since seen many of them either traded (Saarela and Roy) or leave voluntarily (Pot, Brown, and Jurco.  I don't blame Pot for leaving.  He never got a sniff, and there is nothing for him to prove at Charlotte.  Going to the Ducks organization, I suspect he will make the team out of training camp, but if he does not, I will get to see him play for the San Diego Gulls.  Someday the Canes will have a RH shooting forward on the team not named JW;  Necas and Gauthier, for example.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 3:38 PM, KJUNKANE said:

Not following your thoughts here rem? Are you thinking Haula and Dzingle do not equal DeHaan, because if so, as much as I loved DeHaan, I just do not agree. DeHaan was great team guy, and really brought a steading influence, but the potential scoring by these 2 new additions, to me, more than offsets CDH. Sorry

Kjun, the return on DeHaan was the two Fors'. Forsberg and Forsling. And we gave them Saarela in the deal to boot. It is not entirely wrong to say that DeHaan's salary space allowed us to sign Dzingle, and maybe even a cap move for Haula, but it's not direct, that was not the return on the trade itself.

The cap issue is part of the reason for the trade, and allowed other things, but it was not the trade. We could have traded DeHaan for a 6th round pick and cleared the space for Dzingle, Haula. But that wouldn't have made it a good deal. The deal itself is the thing I still have some issue with. 

Again, if just one of the Fors' ends up solidly contributing or is traded for a key piece, then the deal itself will age well. If DeHaan struggles with his game post surgery also. 

Maybe having a goalie in the fold let us relax enough to make other moves. Maybe one of the Fors' will be really good. But DeHaan already is really good and I just thought we'd get more for him. Also, this is the biggest piece of the D we've traded and we got no O directly. I've agreed that moving the salary gave us room to get the O a different way, but just not so sure about the guys we got back directly. 

BUT I have to keep re-directing this because this is really the only recent move I have some issue with in terms of getting the 2 Fors' for DeHaan and Saarela. And to re-iterate, I gave the committee and A! This is the only thing I quibble with this year. And even then its' with a lot of caveats. 

2 hours ago, snuffy72 said:

My take:  Poturalski is 25yo and was probably viewed by The Committee as having several younger prospects ahead of him in line for only a spot or two on the Canes roster.  I bet Potsy viewed Anaheim as a better route to the NHL, plus they gave him what I call a "modified" 2-way contract: league minimum at the NHL level, but $350k to play in the AHL.  I doubt the Canes were willing to invest that much in him given the kids they viewed as being ahead of him in line for a spot on the Canes roster.  He probably never really had much of a shot at the Canes, which is a shame.  I hope he does well in Anaheim.

summary: a casualty of our prospect depth.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

And keep in mind that Svech is a big KID, and going to continue growing . Although he is to skilled to be an enforcer type he can certainly be a guy the other team doesnt want to **** off

Especially Ovenchicken in a game 6 😁

It's transition time in Charlotte. They have a Calder Cup, but repeating, while nice, is not the mission. Time to clear some space and turn the page. And they are clearing out a lot of players, including a lot of offense. 

I mentioned Poturalski deserving another shot during the season, but we just did not have room at the NHL level. Poturalski is not a big guy, and unfortunately for him, his one shot up here did not go very well. He was quite ineffective. Still, he upped his game in Charlotte and in an ideal world should have gotten another shot. But at least here, it was not to be. He was a massive contributor to the Checkers though, and the Calder. He is a premier AHL player, hence the $300K AHL deal. Some AHL teams pay a player or two at that level. 

The Checkers will miss him. They will also miss Sareela, Roy, Brown, Jurco even Nastasiuk and IMO Necas will be up with the big team. That's a lot of offense to make up. Also Fleury, and possibly Bean. And gone are Didier, Renouf, Wesley and Robertson. And their coach, and also Tokarski their other goalie. 

But they will have Kuok back, and Geekie should be huge this year. If the keep them the two Fors will need to go down there too. It will be interesting to see how they fill things out, but it seems that Kuok, Geekie and Gauthier will have to step way up. They should still have a decent team, but their cup team has been torn down, there chance of repeating is remote IMO.

With regard to the de Haan trade; report out of the KHL is that Avangard Osmk has acquired the rights to Gustov Forsling from Sochi. Forsling is an unsigned RFA, has played in the KHL, and may very well be the odd man out as the Canes need to sign other RFA's.

1 hour ago, AssistantGM said:

With regard to the de Haan trade; report out of the KHL is that Avangard Osmk has acquired the rights to Gustov Forsling from Sochi. Forsling is an unsigned RFA, has played in the KHL, and may very well be the odd man out as the Canes need to sign other RFA's.

I think KHL teams do this to prepare for lockout in NHL. Last year one team traded right for Patranak and Aho to another team. Or maybe there is no such thing as "future considerations and teams must send something to another team during trade.

3 hours ago, remkin said:

It's transition time in Charlotte. They have a Calder Cup, but repeating, while nice, is not the mission. Time to clear some space and turn the page. And they are clearing out a lot of players, including a lot of offense. 

I mentioned Poturalski deserving another shot during the season, but we just did not have room at the NHL level. Poturalski is not a big guy, and unfortunately for him, his one shot up here did not go very well. He was quite ineffective. Still, he upped his game in Charlotte and in an ideal world should have gotten another shot. But at least here, it was not to be. He was a massive contributor to the Checkers though, and the Calder. He is a premier AHL player, hence the $300K AHL deal. Some AHL teams pay a player or two at that level. 

The Checkers will miss him. They will also miss Sareela, Roy, Brown, Jurco even Nastasiuk and IMO Necas will be up with the big team. That's a lot of offense to make up. Also Fleury, and possibly Bean. And gone are Didier, Renouf, Wesley and Robertson. And their coach, and also Tokarski their other goalie. 

But they will have Kuok back, and Geekie should be huge this year. If the keep them the two Fors will need to go down there too. It will be interesting to see how they fill things out, but it seems that Kuok, Geekie and Gauthier will have to step way up. They should still have a decent team, but their cup team has been torn down, there chance of repeating is remote IMO.

I think the Checkers will be just fine next year despite the turnover. If you remember, the Checkers lost their top four scorers from the 2017-2018 season (Zykov, Wallmark, Foegele, and Miller), but they then went on to win the Calder Cup. 

In in addition to Kuokkanen returning, the team will also get Spencer Smallman back. So, even if Necas makes the Canes, those two plus Geekie, Gauthier, perhaps Gibbons, Bishop, Matteos, Lorentz, Luostarinen, and Pritchard will create a solid core to build around. 

Defense may may be more problematic as I don’t see either Fleury nor McKeown with the Checkers next season. However, with Bean, Carrick, Sellgren, Liustinari (sp?), and possibly Forsling, I think they will be alright.

Goaltending with two of Nedeljkovic, Forsberg, Booth, or Helvig should be good. If Reimer can’t beat out Nedeljkovic in camp, I don’t know whether he clears waivers but if so, the Checkers will benefit. 

7 minutes ago, ChuckBurns said:

I think the Checkers will be just fine next year despite the turnover. If you remember, the Checkers lost their top four scorers from the 2017-2018 season (Zykov, Wallmark, Foegele, and Miller), but they then went on to win the Calder Cup. 

In in addition to Kuokkanen returning, the team will also get Spencer Smallman back. So, even if Necas makes the Canes, those two plus Geekie, Gauthier, perhaps Gibbons, Bishop, Matteos, Lorentz, Luostarinen, and Pritchard will create a solid core to build around. 

Defense may may be more problematic as I don’t see either Fleury nor McKeown with the Checkers next season. However, with Bean, Carrick, Sellgren, Liustinari (sp?), and possibly Forsling, I think they will be alright.

Goaltending with two of Nedeljkovic, Forsberg, Booth, or Helvig should be good. If Reimer can’t beat out Nedeljkovic in camp, I don’t know whether he clears waivers but if so, the Checkers will benefit. 

I don’t think Sellgren is in Charlotte until his European season is over.  

51 minutes ago, ChuckBurns said:

I agree they'll be fine, but probably not Calder repeaters. But you never know. The likes of Saarela, Roy, Potaralski, Jurco, their Captain, Brown and possibly Necas, is just a lot of firepower to lose. But maybe they do replace it. Surely Geekie, Gauthier and Kuokannen will produce. Bishop is very solid and Smallman too. But they had Gauthier and Geekie last year too. 

Then again, as much as I'm penciling Necas into the Canes line up, if Williams returns there isn't really a spot for him, so he could start back in Charlotte.

Anyways, I still like the team, just not a powerhouse like last year. 

On 7/13/2019 at 11:29 AM, slapshot02 said:

In that case I'd  shoot for the groin.

On 7/13/2019 at 11:45 AM, LakeLivin said:

Agree 100%.  This is a family sport; we don't need those kind of antics on the ice!

lol

Perhaps I should've structured that sentence better.

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I don’t think Sellgren is in Charlotte until his European season is over.  

sellgren was with the checkers  in the playoffs  this year , he helped them win the calder .  

9 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

sellgren was with the checkers  in the playoffs  this year , he helped them win the calder .  

Yes on a tryout contract. His ELC says he will go back to Sweden if he doesn’t make the Canes. 

33 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Yes on a tryout contract. His ELC says he will go back to Sweden if he doesn’t make the Canes. 

He could be signed on a 2 way deal    If he isnt already . The   kid was very impressive in my opinion for the checkers .  Maybe 3 or 2  years he could be a top 4 defense man with the canes . 

6 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

He could be signed on a 2 way deal    If he isnt already . The   kid was very impressive in my opinion for the checkers .  Maybe 3 or 2  years he could be a top 4 defense man with the canes . 

He is signed on a two way deal. I bet he’ll be back when the SHL season is up. Maybe he stays in Charlotte for the 20-21 season. 

37 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

With the addition of Dzingel, one has to wonder.....does Aho go back to wing? Ehhhhhh?

Doubt it .   But i do wonder if with the singing of  Haula and Dzingle that would slide Staal to the 3rd line ? 

Dzingle played Center in college and some sites put a C by his position, but from what I've gathered he is exclusively a winger in the NHL. Haula was too, but was moved to center and did pretty well. Despite Brind'Amour putting out "hedging" statements about Aho at center, IMO Aho is our 1C and will be. 

I see us going: Aho, Haula, Staal, Wallmark down the middle. As to which non-Aho center is the 2C, 3C, I believe the coach that it's really more 2a 2b. To me it's 2a, offensive and 2b defensive. And thus IMO we are really saying Staal is the 3C while not saying that out loud since Brind'Amour has said he's the best player on the team. 

But in the classic sense, Haula has put up 2C numbers and Staal hasn't, at least not in Carolina. So to me, Haula will play with the more offensive forwards most likely, and to me, he's likely going to end up being the 2C really. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

With the addition of Dzingel, one has to wonder.....does Aho go back to wing? Ehhhhhh?

A good question. In interviews it appears Brindy is still not 100% sold on Aho at center. I suspect he will stay at center but something to watch especially if JW doesn't come back

The other thing I've thought about is if Necas just blows doors off and Williams comes back, do we look at Martinook back in center as the 4C and move Wallmark? I don't think we do that because Wallmark does a lot of good things at center, but Foegele-Martinook-McGinn would be very physical with some scoring upside if Necas ended up in the 9th position of the top 9.

56 minutes ago, ChuckBurns said:

Whether Williams returns or not, I think we will probably be carrying 13 or 14 forwards on the roster. 

Probably, but when it comes to Necas in particular, he needs to be playing or in Charlotte. Guys like Saku etc can rotate scratching.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Dzingle played Center in college and some sites put a C by his position, but from what I've gathered he is exclusively a winger in the NHL. Haula was too, but was moved to center and did pretty well. Despite Brind'Amour putting out "hedging" statements about Aho at center, IMO Aho is our 1C and will be. 

I see us going: Aho, Haula, Staal, Wallmark down the middle. As to which non-Aho center is the 2C, 3C, I believe the coach that it's really more 2a 2b. To me it's 2a, offensive and 2b defensive. And thus IMO we are really saying Staal is the 3C while not saying that out loud since Brind'Amour has said he's the best player on the team. 

But in the classic sense, Haula has put up 2C numbers and Staal hasn't, at least not in Carolina. So to me, Haula will play with the more offensive forwards most likely, and to me, he's likely going to end up being the 2C really. 

Your center lineup is probably the depth chart going into camp, but I would put Wallmark in with the set of players who have to earn their positions.  If JW plays, they will have 13 forwards already, including no rookies such as Necas, Gauthier, Geekie etc. to vie for jobs.  With that in mind, I can see a scenario where Wallmark could be #13 or worse (if one of the rookies goes batty at training camp), and Martinook ends up playing center on the 4th line.  Wallmark did have a pretty good season at face offs, which would endear him to the coaching staff, but nothing is for sure.

Wallmark will have to earn his position, but I think he has an inside track since he plays center over Foegele, McGinn, and Menalaenen. I think Martinook is better as a right wing.