The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

Oh, the head-scratching and prediction analysis.  Isn't this great???  I've been following the squad since '02.  Don't post much but do enjoy most of the banter. 

What makes this great is that the Canes are once again relevant.  The Committee is pushing buttons and pulling levers to do what they deem best.  I can't remember an off-season where I've actually checked the 'net multiple times a day just to see if anything has happened regarding the team.

Looking forward to my appointment time tomorrow when I can log on and select my paltry 11-game plan dates.

Due to some monetary issues I actually considered cancelling my plan but am going to keep it.  

Wouldn't it be great if Remkin's island could be named the 8th continent over the next few seasons???!!

Carry on folks.  Thanks for the insight and the fun.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Kyrule said:

Anisimov traded to Ottawa for Zack Smith.

Salary move for the Hawks.

Great trade for the sens .  Maybe  I was wrong about ottawa wanting to tank  this  coming season .  

I could totally see us moving Faulk to free some room for Willy and McKeown, a right shot.

I only see Pesce and Slavin becoming more offensively minded. With the two of them, Dougie and TVR and Fleury, only Roland would have less than 80 NHL games, so why keep trotting Justin out there? He makes every defensive play an adventure, and with suspect goaltending, that's the last thing this team needs, let alone can afford. Move him for a Skinner-like return to dump salary and move on.

There are not many guys left in the league who would do this, but I could totally see Willy telling the Committee in exits that they should do what they have to do and he'll take whatever's left. He will turn 38 just as the season starts, after all. And if it's a choice between keeping his leadership and signing a young stay-at-home RHD who has won at every level, or losing them both to keep Faulk, that's an easy call in my book.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I could totally see us moving Faulk to free some room for Willy and McKeown, a right shot.

I only see Pesce and Slavin becoming more offensively minded. With the two of them, Dougie and TVR and Fleury, only Roland would have less than 80 NHL games, so why keep trotting Justin out there? He makes every defensive play an adventure, and with suspect goaltending, that's the last thing this team needs, let alone can afford. Move him for a Skinner-like return to dump salary and move on.

There are not many guys left in the league who would do this, but I could totally see Willy telling the Committee in exits that they should do what they have to do and he'll take whatever's left. He will turn 38 just as the season starts, after all. And if it's a choice between keeping his leadership and signing a young stay-at-home RHD who has won at every level, or losing them both to keep Faulk, that's an easy call in my book.

I could see us moving Faulk later if Fleury, Bean, or another LHD looks top 4 ready and another looks starter ready this season. As much as I would like it to happen, Rod really likes Faulk and his leadership. 

41 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I could see us moving Faulk later if Fleury, Bean, or another LHD looks top 4 ready and another looks starter ready this season. As much as I would like it to happen, Rod really likes Faulk and his leadership. 

I think Rod likes Pesce and Slavin better. And when it comes down to it, TVR is as good defensively as Faulk and good enough for 2nd pairing duty. Plus I believe TVR has also shown ability to play his offside as well.

19 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

What would you guys think of trying to trade for  Nikita Gusev ? 

He’s looking for a 2 year deal at 4.0 million per season, that’s a lot for a guy that has never played an NHL game. 

I know he was the leading scorer in the KHL, but it is high risk IMO, although the reward could also be high.

I don’t think we will be moving salary from a proven player for an unproven player, and Vegas can’t take on salary as it is (which is why they can’t sign Gusev).

7 hours ago, DevildogKodi said:

TVR is as good far better defensively as Faulk and good enough for 2nd pairing duty.

:)

The only other candidate I see for a salary dump is Jordan. Given his age and what we've added up front, that might be a possibility. The challenge with both is their NTCs. I could see JR (a.k.a. Just Recycle) taking Jordan back in Pittsburgh, but they've got less cap space than we do. 

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

The only other candidate I see for a salary dump is Jordan. Given his age and what we've added up front, that might be a possibility. The challenge with both is their NTCs. I could see JR (a.k.a. Just Recycle) taking Jordan back in Pittsburgh, but they've got less cap space than we do. 

With the way Brind'Amour raves about Jordan top, I don't see this at all.

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Jordo for Fat Kess....err, nevermind...

12 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I could totally see us moving Faulk

Oh they're not paying that dude, so might as well. Hey maybe we could trade him to the formational dust cloud that is Seattle, and Ronnie can name him co-captain?

:ohyeah:

Edited by sleekfeeder
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

What would you guys think of trying to trade for  Nikita Gusev ? 

Talked about this several days ago. My response is below, but I'd add that right now I'd probably go hard after him if Williams retires, but less if he comes back. Still, this guy is worth the risk IMO:

Had to look him up. A decent summary is here: https://www.pensburgh.com/2019/7/10/20688361/nikita-gusev-trade-rumors-nhl-pittsburgh-penguins-jack-johson-bryan-rust-pens

In short, yes please.

The guy was a point machine in the KHL and internationally. Using the points translation metric he projects as a 60-70 point NHL player. Supposedly wants $4 million a year, and offers for him are second rounder, low end prospect. Well, we have extra second rounders (and first rounders), and lots of prospects. 

We need a playmaker for the PP. He led the KHL in assists.

This is our kind of pickup in that the trade price and contract seem low. 

Absolutely we should kick the tires on this guy, and kick them hard.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, remkin said:

Talked about this several days ago. My response is below, but I'd add that right now I'd probably go hard after him if Williams retires, but less if he comes back. Still, this guy is worth the risk IMO:

Had to look him up. A decent summary is here: https://www.pensburgh.com/2019/7/10/20688361/nikita-gusev-trade-rumors-nhl-pittsburgh-penguins-jack-johson-bryan-rust-pens

In short, yes please.

The guy was a point machine in the KHL and internationally. Using the points translation metric he projects as a 60-70 point NHL player. Supposedly wants $4 million a year, and offers for him are second rounder, low end prospect. Well, we have extra second rounders (and first rounders), and lots of prospects. 

We need a playmaker for the PP. He led the KHL in assists.

This is our kind of pickup in that the trade price and contract seem low. 

Absolutely we should kick the tires on this guy, and kick them hard.

i was going over  it  last night and was trying to think of a way on  how can the canes  trade for him right after taking  Haula  from  vegas   and  here is what i worked out  so far . Take on alex Tuch's contract  via trade  and give them  toronto's 1st round pick   and Mattheos   and then trade Justin Faulk  to Columbus  for their 1st round pick . 

Just read the Athletic this morning.  Their hockey analytics guy examined all NHL teams and ranked them according to contract efficiency (burden of contract vs. productivity of player on that contract).  Guess who was #1???  

image.jpeg.7e3e4372d3ec15fed9c13dba31e76d79.jpeg

It did not include goalies and guys on ELCs.  According to this guy, the worst contract on our books is Dzingel followed by Martinook and they are both graded as C+.  We are the only team with 5 A contracts (Pesce, Aho, Slavin, Hamilton, Teravainen), and 4 of them are for at least 4 more years.  Nice work, committee!

In last place?

image.png.7da25b369477cbb96b5fabcd503565a2.png

Edited by ironman87
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

Just read the Athletic this morning.  Their hockey analytics guy examined all NHL teams and ranked them according to contract efficiency (burden of contract vs. productivity of player on that contract).  Guess who was #1???  

It did not include goalies and guys on ELCs.  According to this guy, the worst contract on our books is Dzingel followed by Martinook and they are both graded as C+.  We are the only team with 5 A contracts (Pesce, Aho, Slavin, Hamilton, Teravainen), and 4 of them are for at least 4 more years.  Nice work, committee!

In last place?

for detroit image.jpeg.94afc1f5f99dea63534a66f1b8d58aad.jpeg

30 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

In last place?

Can't complain about being number one. Several years ago we had a discussion about contract efficiency. It correlated better with winning than total salaries did. 

If Martinook's salary at $2 million for a guy who put in 15 goals, hit everything that moved, and was in some ways the very beating heart of the team, is our worst salary? Pretty good.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

In last place?

So you're saying Detroit won't be sending out any offer sheets? That's what I'm hearing.

Sorry, I'm on fire today. 🔥

Edited by sleekfeeder

7 minutes ago, remkin said:

Can't complain about being number one. Several years ago we had a discussion about contract efficiency. It correlated better with winning than total salaries did. 

If Martinook's salary at $2 million for a guy who put in 15 goals, hit everything that moved, and was in some ways the very beating heart of the team, is our worst salary? Pretty good.

Yea that is what I was thinking.  I was jacked when I saw we signed Dzingel and then to see his contract value rated as a C+?  If that is the worst contract we have???

We're good.  BTW, of the guys we traded away in the past two years, the only contract that is in the A range is Lindholm.  Everyone else is not so good (Hanifan C+, DeHaan C+, Skinner C+, Rask no comment)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

As long as they are not on the NHL roster when teams must meet cap restrictions, midnight October 1st, then they don’t have to pass through waivers.

22 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Waiver rules

Well I learned something today, that I was right about the date but not the time frame.  Waivers starts 12 days before the season starts, midnight of October 1st turns over into the 2nd which is the official start of the season.  Waivers will start on the 20th of September.  All players can go through camp and play in the 1st three pre-season games.  After the 3rd game they must be sent down or have to go through waivers to be sent to Charlotte.

We could manage with emergency call ups of Mck and/or Forsling.  that would only work if we only carry 6 defenders or we now need an 8th defender.   We carried 6 for most of the season except for travel.  Fluery or Bean traveling but not playing.  I would like to see us roll with 7 because Rod doesnt use a guy that hasnt practiced with the team.  

I still have doubts that we could "hide" players like McKeown, Wallmark, and even Fleury from waivers through roster timing.  I just can't find enough specific details spelled out anywhere that definitively resolves the issue in my mind.  Bottom line: does every otherwise waiver eligible player on an NHL contract have to go through waivers before being assigned to the AHL, or is there a loophole?   I did find a reference that indicates that the waiver process is "reset" at the beginning of a new season's waiver period, which would close the apparent loophole we hope exists.  Note that this is from an article published in 2009, before the current CBA was even in effect, but if it was in effect back then I can't see the players giving it up in the current CBA.  https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2009/11/26/1174855/waivers-101-a-guide-to-the-nhl

__________________________________________________________________________________________

When Do Waivers Operate?

The first day of the season which players are subject to waivers is twelve days prior to the start of the regular season, until the last day after the end of the team's season. It should be noted that the league resets all waiver transactions at the beginning of the next season's waiver period. So say that a player was waived and cleared waivers in the previous season, and was not re-called at any point for the remainder of the season. In the current season, that player rejoins the NHL roster and he must clear waivers again to be assigned to an AHL team.   

20 hours ago, pepcane said:

Looking forward to my appointment time tomorrow when I can log on and select my paltry 11-game plan dates.

Just did mine.  The process is so much more refined than it used to be.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, remkin said:

But we did have a number of people that complained about the process as it was getting us there.  Just saying, lol.  :P

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

But we did have a number of people that complained about the process as it was getting us there. 

There are some things that will never change.  Like" Dundon is a cheapskate".  I am waiting with bated breath on what the next B and M train will be.

The efficiency includes Dzingel having a lower rating due to playing on a low Corsi and negative ES team in Ottawa for three years.  

Also as the team improves performance other guys ratings will improve as well.

2 hours ago, cc said:

Just did mine.  The process is so much more refined than it used to be.

Did mine too.  Got slightly better seats.  I thought I'd be pushed back since there was word of a massive influx of new STHers, and if those were 24 or full size, they'd suck them up.  Maybe they went elsewhere to better sections.

We actually moved into a previous full game set of seats because those folks moved up to a higher ticket level and different section.  Nobody backfilled them.

Call us lucky and happy.

• Like 1