The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

17 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Yes, you gotta be able to tie really complex knots, each tuned to the occasion.  Having a strong stomach, and perhaps even a taste for rum is helpful.

I wouldn't qualify because I don't even know what a "jib" is, let alone I can't figure out "port" from "starboard."  I think I know what "aft" is, so there's that.

Port is what one drinks after a meal isn't it wxray? See, I'm catching on?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, beboplar said:

Slavin and Pesce, and to a lesser extent, de Haan, are off limits, making Hamilton the most marketable asset (unfortunately for him).  That said, unless a really formidable forward, preferably RH shooting, is offered in return, don't count on any big moves.

I don't see them moving Hamilton.  He turned out to be a good fit for the team and organization plus he still has 2 years left on a reasonable contract.

If TD wants to shake up the NHL RFA market with a qualifying offer for Marner; he had better sign Aho before pulling the trigger. He could then face the same situation from either Toronto or some other team for Aho in retaliation. Perhaps, he is floating the rumor about Marner in order to get Dubas to more seriously consider sending us some of their tradeable assets in exchange for one or more of our D. With Toronto's cap situation, TD could "threaten" with an offer that would really force the Leafs to scamble to stay within the cap. A great negotiating position !!!!

Dubas has publicly stated that there are only 4 untouchable players; and we all know who they are! That leaves (no pun): Nylander, Kapanen, Kadri, Johnsson, Zaitsev, and Gardiner as available assets for the right price.

16 hours ago, remkin said:

Mariner is the kind of talent that is incredibly hard to find  . .

9 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Yes, you gotta be able to tie really complex knots, each tuned to the occasion.  Having a strong stomach, and perhaps even a taste for rum is helpful.

I wouldn't qualify because I don't even know what a "jib" is, let alone I can't figure out "port" from "starboard."  I think I know what "aft" is, so there's that.

OR you could have great hand/eye coordination, tremendous bat speed,  a strong arm, and run fast.  Or, be able to throw the ball in the high 90's with control and supplement that with several other pitches.  It might help if your name is "Griffey" or "Ichiro" .

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

Marner is exactly the caliber player we need if we want to make it past the conference finals in the near future.  This line up cannot get it done, we need to add fire power.  Even just one guy could really give us the boost and put us over the hump of goal scoring slumps and PP disasters.  

With that said.  I don't think there is any way Marner wants to come to small market Raleigh with its garbage practice rink.  He will go to a big city if Toronto doesn't keep him. 

I think we need to add at least 2 mid level guys like Kapanen.  a couple 20 goal guys could bring the same boost. 

And how the heck can Toronto afford 3-11 million dollar guys?   We need to spend some money and give this team a little boost this off season.  The fan base and players would be electrified if we got a couple good names here.  And both of us deserve it after last season. 

5 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I just try to stay away from the poop deck.

• Like 1

Using an offer sheet on Marner is a dangerous play with some young guys in our system coming to the end of their ELCs (think Svech and if he steps up, Necas in 2 years). Of course, Toronto would be in no position with the cap to retaliate, but setting that precedent is not the way I’d go. I think Toronto is going to get Marner signed, but that will leave them vulnerable to having to trade other really good young players like Nylander and Kapenen. I think we should be looking to pry away one of those guys. And don’t do anything else until Aho is signed. I hope they are close to announcing a deal and just waiting not to upstage the SCF. The season is over, the comparables are there for both sides to see, so we need to get that done. Then we can turn our attention to adding players from elsewhere.

30 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

With that said.  I don't think there is any way Marner wants to come to small market Raleigh with its garbage practice rink. 

When I brought this point up last Fall, I was told all was well and this new complex in Morrisville will solve world hunger. 

So what IS the status of that situation?  More vaporware?

4 hours ago, reelpirate5 said:

I don't see them moving Hamilton.  He turned out to be a good fit for the team and organization plus he still has 2 years left on a reasonable contract.

I don't think management will actively look to trade him either, but if a team was to come shopping and offered a RH, physically minded forward, preferably a RW, they would have to take a look at moving Hamilton.

14 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Using an offer sheet on Marner is a dangerous play with some young guys in our system coming to the end of their ELCs (think Svech and if he steps up, Necas in 2 years). Of course, Toronto would be in no position with the cap to retaliate, but setting that precedent is not the way I’d go. I think Toronto is going to get Marner signed, but that will leave them vulnerable to having to trade other really good young players like Nylander and Kapenen. I think we should be looking to pry away one of those guys. And don’t do anything else until Aho is signed. I hope they are close to announcing a deal and just waiting not to upstage the SCF. The season is over, the comparables are there for both sides to see, so we need to get that done. Then we can turn our attention to adding players from elsewhere.

Kapenen makes a lot of sense. He's right handed, right winger, strong, fast, skilled, hard working, and doesn't need the puck to be successful. He has the Finnish we need! It's not hard to imagine a Turbo / Aho / Kapenen line for years to come.

20 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

Marner is exactly the caliber player we need if we want to make it past the conference finals in the near future.  This line up cannot get it done, we need to add fire power.  Even just one guy could really give us the boost and put us over the hump of goal scoring slumps and PP disasters.  

With that said.  I don't think there is any way Marner wants to come to small market Raleigh with its garbage practice rink.  He will go to a big city if Toronto doesn't keep him. 

I think we need to add at least 2 mid level guys like Kapanen.  a couple 20 goal guys could bring the same boost. 

And how the heck can Toronto afford 3-11 million dollar guys?   We need to spend some money and give this team a little boost this off season.  The fan base and players would be electrified if we got a couple good names here.  And both of us deserve it after last season. 

Building on Kjun's point in the direction of "would he come here'? That is part of why I thought in an earlier post that this won't happen. The player still has to sign the offer sheet to make it happen. The one thing we have is a young team clearly on the upswing. But we do not have that big city market, and hockey players are not kings here. In terms of NHL players being celebrities, it's kind of opposite ends of the scale. 

In terms of money though, while we are not a zero income tax state, I'm thinking that taxes still favor Raleigh. 

In the end, he'd have to sign the sheet, so I guess that would answer if he wanted to come here for the offer. I am assuming that the committee would do it's due diligence on weather Marner was a true locker room disruptive cancer type or not. 

Then there's Toronto matching, and I'm guessing that to get to a place that Toronto can't or won't match (and one that Marner might sign), we probably have to to to $11 million plus, and now we're talking 4 first rounders. In sum we'd have to overpay him beyond what Toronto will probably pay. This will mean two things. One, if he came here he'd be making a lot more than anyone else, and we'd have to give up four first rounders.  

To me getting Marner for a couple of probably late first rounders a second and a third is a flagrant YES. Not even close. Really too easy. But 4 first rounders? I went back and tried to find a 4 year period where our first round picks didn't add up to much. Had to skip years we didn't have one, but Jack Johnson, Boychuk, Sutter and Paradis was the closest, but JJ left us, and Sutter has had an NHL career. It would be bold though. And this team is very different from past teams we've had in that we are super young. AND it makes a huge difference if we're picking late first, those are far more hit or miss, and add Marner to this team? We'll be picking late.

As Svech and Necas fire up to what I think they will be, Aho, TT, Svech, Necas, Marner? That's FIVE possible ppg players, and 3 who are now. Who has that? Add in young role players like Foegele, and guys coming up, and then look at our young D? We could sustain 4 years of no first rounders. (Still have our second rounders). 

I really think that would be debatable and possible worth doing, despite how nuts it seems at first glance. In fact, see below.

I do agree though that it could set up a problem now (one guy (two with Aho) making pinnacle money) with chemistry. And later as Svech and Necas need to get new contracts, (but other guys would be traded to make room).

But you know what? I want it now, and I want it all. I agree, sign Aho first. Then, if we can get Marner and still sign Svech in two years, we will have that core (Aho, Marner, Svech, Necas, TT, Staal) for 3 full seasons until Staal has to be dealt with and add Nino for 2 full seasons. We have guys in the AHL and college coming up too, and we'd have this year's crop of draftees and all of our seconds. Go nuts. Make him an offer he can't refuse, even if it busts through $11 million. Even if it loses 4 first rounders (just get really good at scouting second rounders, plus they'll probably all be late first rounders). 

Look at what TD put down on the AAF. This would be way less than that. He'd get a minimum of 5 years of cup contention from this move. Possibly much more. He'd fill the building and get playoff revenue every year. What a splash too. What a way to stick it to the old boy's network that shunned him and cut him down and wouldn't come work for him. 

This will, of course, not happen. But I'm ready to faint at being wrong if it did.

Now that I've gone all in on Dundon's money getting Marner in my dreams. Another guy who was nearly as good, but I wonder if we have a better shot at w an offer sheet would be Brayden Point (OK, yes Kjun, now I'm back to him :)). I don't know what Tampa is thinking they're going to pay him, but I doubt it's in that $11 million range it would probably take to pry Marner free. 

He has better numbers than Aho. He is very close to being Marner, but a center. And Tampa has hard-balled UFA stars. Kucherov makes $9.5 million, and word is that Tampa doesn't want Point making more than him (makes sense). But Point is worth as much as Marner to us, as he is a center. 

Make the max offer that translates to 2 firsts, a second, and a third and we can offer: $10.56 million. Get Aho in just under that. Can Tampa match? Not if they don't want him making more than Kucherov. They apparently would trade Ryan Callahan to try to free space if they had to, but still could be worth a try. Tampa is not a big hockey market, but they do have no state income tax, so that could be an issue equilibrating our offer with a $9.2 million Tampa offer.

Aho-Point-Staal down the middle would be hard to beat. Hang Svech, Necas, Teravanen, Nino, Foegele and J Williams onto those centers? Firepower out the ying-yang and would fire up the PP. 

Yes, this is off season dreamin'. But what else is there? Hoping the Bruins lose I guess...

45 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

When I brought this point up last Fall, I was told all was well and this new complex in Morrisville will solve world hunger. 

So what IS the status of that situation?  More vaporware?

Opening in 2019, the facilities will be run by Polar Ice Houses. Please Contact Mike Baxter the Polar Ice Houses General Manager at (919)-453-1500 or click here to Contact Polar Ice Houses for more information regarding schedules, rentals, hours and facility status.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Kevin Hayes is off the market 

https://es.pn/2ENiG1a

Not necessarily but seems that way.

i think he is overrated so, let the Flyers overpay for him.

edited: they must not trust Patrick.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

I still think we need a legit 2C to be all that we can be, and I'd have taking Hayes in a heartbeat. There may be better options, but he would have been a good one. He will be overpaid by someone, but we can afford it and he's a young guy who brings a lot of what we need. He is coming off a peak year though, so I get that. Also, UFA's get to go where they want, and it does sound like he might want to go to Philly and probably does not want to come here. Just guessing.It will make Philly better and they were not that far off.

Main thing I see is Metro teams below us getting better. If not Hayes, fine, but something.

• Like 1

We do need to get at least a 2C, and I'd be shocked if uber competitive, it seems, Tom Dundon did not insist on some type of meaningful move to keep up the momentum from 18-19 season. I mean that relaxed drive from PK surely in the blunted twilight phase of his ownership was a given, but TD gives the appearance of a much more aggressive persona? I just wonder if any moves is preempted but getting Aho safely in the fold for a good number of years? Whatever It Takes, eh?

26 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

We do need to get at least a 2C, and I'd be shocked if uber competitive, it seems, Tom Dundon did not insist on some type of meaningful move to keep up the momentum from 18-19 season. I mean that relaxed drive from PK surely in the blunted twilight phase of his ownership was a given, but TD gives the appearance of a much more aggressive persona? I just wonder if any moves is preempted but getting Aho safely in the fold for a good number of years? Whatever It Takes, eh?

That's what I'm thinking too. PK and Francis would just count on guys improving throughout the system, and TD might too, but if last year is an indication, I think TD will make at least one significant move to upgrade the team at forward at least. If not a 2C a 3C, but I think we need a legit playmaker, and that spells more 2C to me.

Talk on Twitter this afternoon about a Dougie Hamilton for Kasperi Kapanen/Nikita Zaitsev trade. Nothing from more reliable sources so far. Probably just a Twitter rumor.

Edited by spyglass88

1 hour ago, spyglass88 said:

Talk on Twitter this afternoon about a Dougie Hamilton for Kasperi Kapanen/Nikita Zaitsev trade. Nothing from more reliable sources so far. Probably just a Twitter rumor.

Yes on kapanen , no on Zaitsev  !  and Not for the price of Hamilton . That would just be another demising return .  Going from losing Hanifin  and Lindholm  for 2 possible  2nd round draft picks  and Hamilton  and rental of  Ferland  to just  Kapanen .  There needs to be more added to it ,  Perhaps Kapanen  and Zach Hyman  for Hamilton ? 

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

Going from losing Hanifin  and Lindholm  for 2 possible  2nd round draft picks  and Hamilton  and rental of  Ferland  to just  Kapanen .

Going from losing rental of Hanifin and Lindholm to just Kapanen.  Not saying that's optimal either, but it's not like we had H & L locked down for decades.

4 hours ago, spyglass88 said:

Looks like just a rumor at this point. 😑

Pierre LeBrun reported that the Canes might be interested in the two for Hamilton, Pesce, or Faulk, but only after Zaitsev gets his bonus pay. 

Edited by spyglass88
  • Like 1

A more realistic offer sheet for us could be Vegas center William Karlsson. Capfriendly estimates Vegas is over the projected cap at this point and still needs to sign Subban and another player or two. While Karlsson didn't put up 43 goals this year like he did in 2017-18, he still had 24 goals and 32 assists this past season and is only 26 years old. Nice 2C Remkin?

Edited by spyglass88

12 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

A more realistic offer sheet for us could be Vegas center William Karlsson. Capfriendly estimates Vegas is over the projected cap at this point and still needs to sign Subban and another player or two. While Karlsson didn't put up 43 goals this year like he did in 2017-18, he still had 24 goals and 32 assists this past season and is only 26 years old. Nice 2C Remkin?

Maybe the one to offer sheet is Subban?