The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

3 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I have been a constant proponent of promoting McKeown into TVR's position

I think the team is past the trade to save as the driving force behind moves. Although I'm not as sure on McKeown as you and some others appear to be I admit he needs a shot. TVR is a good, steady and reliable NHL proven Dman, McKeown is a top  prospect but unproven. I'm not sure handing him a roster spot over TVR and pairing him with the yet to live up to his potential Fluery is a wise move. Then again Slavin and Pesce worked out.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Looks like a little fudge room for a Williams signing. Tip of the hat to Canes Country for this

What is the 7.5% of the upper limit? I'm not sure how big the non cap bonus can be from that.

1 minute ago, remkin said:

What is the 7.5% of the upper limit? I'm not sure how big the non cap bonus can be from that.

I found the info now you find someone to do the math. :razz:

13 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I found the info now you find someone to do the math. :razz:

Any restrictions on bonuses? Could it be 1 mil AAV contract for a year and 2 mil bonus for playing 10 games in a season? ))))

25 minutes ago, remkin said:

Alright I found this from last season

Performance bonuses do count toward the cap. However, there is a cushion of 7.5 percent of the upper cap limit reserved for performance bonuses, The cushion is why you typically won't hear about it when a player hits a mark that awards them a signing bonus. If the performance bonuses a team awards add up to less than the 7.5 percent cushion, then it doesn't have an effect on actual cap space, so there's no real reason for the public to know about it.

If a team does have multiple players receiving performance bonuses, and the total amount adds up to more than that 7.5 percent cushion plus the team's remaining salary cap space, then the excess amount rolls over and counts toward the team's salary cap in the following season.

I think that means it is a little over 6 million dollar bonus cushion in 2019/20

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Any restrictions on bonuses? Could it be 1 mil AAV contract for a year and 2 mil bonus for playing 10 games in a season? ))))

I don't know.

Just my 2 cents:

I don’t think anyone is going anywhere. I think we like the team we have assembled and will find a way to make it work. I think this is much ado about nothing. JW will return (or not) and off we go.

The one exception may be Reimer if we can find a taker, but I doubt it.

Also, if JW is returning to take another run at this thing, I’m pretty sure that he (like I do) hopes that Staal and Faulk are part of it. I’m sure he wants all hands on deck, especially proven NHL veterans.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

I found this on Sportsnet from 2013 so it looks like that might work

Another $3.7 million will be paid to Iginla as a bonus once he plays just 10 games, but the CBA allows Boston to roll that amount onto its cap the following season if it exceeds the $64.3-million ceiling this year.

Alfredsson  also got a similar 10 game bonus that year

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I think the team is past the trade to save as the driving force behind moves. Although I'm not as sure on McKeown as you and some others appear to be I admit he needs a shot. TVR is a good, steady and reliable NHL proven Dman, McKeown is a top  prospect but unproven. I'm not sure handing him a roster spot over TVR and pairing him with the yet to live up to his potential Fluery is a wise move. Then again Slavin and Pesce worked out.

As I have reference before, McKeown has had +34 and +30 seasons at Charlotte the past 2 years, and was +3 in a 10 game stint in Raleigh in 2017-2018.  He is ripe for promotion, and if TVR's $ is what they need to move to bring back JW, I think 1 more year of his leadership is more important than 1 more year of TVR on the 3rd D line.

I don’t see the issue with keeping Williams. We sign him to 800k-1 million deal with a bigger bonus that is really easy. Let it absorb in the money we get back from the Marleau deal next year.

now it’s about Necas and Maenalenan having room/playing time.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, beboplar said:

As I have reference before, McKeown has had +34 and +30 seasons at Charlotte the past 2 years, and was +3 in a 10 game stint in Raleigh in 2017-2018.  He is ripe for promotion, and if TVR's $ is what they need to move to bring back JW, I think 1 more year of his leadership is more important than 1 more year of TVR on the 3rd D line.

There is no doubt in my mind McKeown deserves a NHL shot. I only wonder if it will be with us. I don't want to overate McKeown or underrate TVR at the NHL level. If we move TVR so be it and if we move McKeown so be it. If we keep both it would be alright too. I don't think McKeown has signed yet. I expect that is the first step.

Everyone on this board knows how I feel about +/- and if I can feel any less it would be about AHL +/-. That stat aside McKeown deserves an NHL shot, somewhere.

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

There is no doubt in my mind McKeown deserves a NHL shot. I only wonder if it will be with us. I don't want to overate McKeown or underrate TVR at the NHL level. If we move TVR so be it and if we move McKeown so be it. If we keep both it would be alright too. I don't think McKeown has signed yet. I expect that is the first step.

I wonder if a route to the NHL is more an issue with McKeown signing than the money they're negotiating?  I still believe that's what pushed Adam Fox into a change from his original statement that he wasn't set on any one team and just wanted to get to the NHL as soon as possible.

In addition to what will happen this upcoming season, I've also got to think that the Committee is looking at the longer term implications of how to structure the D.  How is the Committee looking at Faulk after this season?  Is there a spot for him even if he'd agree to stay at less than his current AAV (and with no NTC, which I think will be more or less the standard going forward)?  Same question for TVR, although he's going to be cheaper and easier to fit in salary wise.  The risk of "committing" to a not yet 100% NHL proven player has to be balanced by the opportunity cost of losing a potential future even more valuable asset (including contract) if there's not room to keep him around until he does have a chance to prove himself in a way that doesn't entail any risk.  

I'm not saying I know what the balance is, just articulating some of the issues I suspect the Committee is considering.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, remkin said:

I suspect this is not legal, but what if the team told Williams, "take $3.9 million, and when you retire we'll take you on and add a $1million bonus to your salary". 

Big market teams that are always up against the cap would be doing this kind of thing every year if the NHL did not police this. Other teams find a way to squeeze enough players under the cap when they are up against it, and I’m sure there is a plan to get JWilly back without shenanigans if he is planning to come back.

4 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Just my 2 cents:

I don’t think anyone is going anywhere. I think we like the team we have assembled and will find a way to make it work. I think this is much ado about nothing. JW will return (or not) and off we go.

The one exception may be Reimer if we can find a taker, but I doubt it.

Also, if JW is returning to take another run at this thing, I’m pretty sure that he (like I do) hopes that Staal and Faulk are part of it. I’m sure he wants all hands on deck, especially proven NHL veterans.

I think you're right, but I just have a feeling we want all the goalies we can get. I think we want to work Ned into some games, but having Reimer there too, especially to start the year.  I do think though that they have a plan to get J Williams in here without having to lose anyone, maybe it's that bonus thing. 

51 minutes ago, cc said:

For when we play the likes of Washington,Boston,Philly etc.

Reminds me of the "energizer bunny" AKA Scott Walker.

"Mad Max" would be an appropriate nickname.

• Like 3

Max McCormick:  27yo, 71 NHL games, 10 points total.  I have a hard time envisioning him in Raleigh.

Edited by LakeLivin

50 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

"Mad Max" would be an appropriate nickname.

image.thumb.png.835107188389cfc9007ff79313667179.png