The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Max McCormick:  27yo, 71 NHL games, 10 points total.  I have a hard time envisioning him in Raleigh.

Well, next time Ovichken thinks about punching out Svechikov, we just trot McCormick out onto the ice to police it up - who cares if he only scores 10 points?

1 hour ago, CanesFan2003 said:

Well, next time Ovichken thinks about punching out Svechikov, we just trot McCormick out onto the ice to police it up - who cares if he only scores 10 points?

I understand the emotion, but realistically:

1. All things considered, I see the chances of a Svech - Ovi rematch as very low.  Matter of fact, I see the chances of Svech willingly dropping his gloves against anyone bigger than him as being pretty low, at least if the kid is smart or listened to more knowledgeable voices in the organization.  
  2. How much are you willing to weaken the lineup on the off chance that there's an instance that calls for a true enforcer?  And the implications can be bigger than one game.  Are you willing to risk losing a player like Bishop to waivers to make room for a player like McCormick for a game or two?  We're at the point where we're icing players we really do like, and only a couple will be waiver exempt.  (Svech, Foegele, Necas or another young Checker that might make the team out of camp)

Bottom line: how much room is there in today's NHL for a true enforcer?  My take is that a player needs to be effective on the ice as well, hence the added value of the Ferlands of the league. The days of the Westgarths are numbered.  I see McCormick holding down the role of "tough guy" in the AHL, but not at the NHL level.  Of course, I could be wrong; we'll see what happens out of training camp.

5 hours ago, cc said:

For when we play the likes of Washington,Boston,Philly etc.

Reminds me of the "energizer bunny" AKA Scott Walker.

I saw another clip when he threw close to a dozen shots on a guys helmet. Gotta learn that's how you break your hand.

8 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Understand that the Canes have extended a PTO offer to Alex Petrovic, along with Boston and Calgary. Why??

All assumptions are not everyone  the canes drafted   from this year or last year  will be in training camp .   Slepets  for example .  he was a no show for the prospects game .   I hope he was not a wasted pick . 

12 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Chance to get some depth that would allow us to trade others.  

But surely he'd not be with the big club, right?

44 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

But surely he'd not be with the big club, right?

Why not? He’s had a rough past 2 years with injuries.  He’s had a solid 3 seasons before that although he only played 60% of the games.

31 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Why not? He’s had a rough past 2 years with injuries.  He’s had a solid 3 seasons before that although he only played 60% of the games.

So he's Ferland, only more so.

34 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Okay gocanes, I admit that I know very little about this player and really can't recall how he's looked when he's been matched up against us? But 1st I'll ask what you like about him?

Now from the stats I've read, The Good is that he's 6ft 4in and weighs 216lbs. AND he has 360 penalty minutes in his 7 years in the NHL.

On the opposite side of the coin, your statistic about 60% of games played doesn't quite match what I see in that during those 7 years, and granted 12-13 was a lockout year, but only twice did he play more than 60 games, 15-16 with 66 games and 17-18 with 67 games. I'll not count 12-13, but in his 6 full seasons, he played in 257 games out of roughly 492 total (not counting playoff games which I didn't research for Florida). So thats more like 50%, which may be quibbling over a few percentages I'll admit.

But more glaringly, he scored a whopping total of 5 goals and 50 points in those close to 500 games? And I know a routinely pooh poohed statistic here about, but he's a -10. Thus as top just pointed out, he's a Ferland clone minus the scoring, as rather than a rough last 2 years (actually 17-18 was one of his best), unless there is something more like being sent down to AHL that I can't see, he seems to be a bit fragile? Thus my observation, is he a dependable player, or why has he missed so many games in those 6 years?

Don't get me wrong gocanes, if he would accept the 2 way presented him, I would consider him mainly for the experience he'd add to the team in Charlotte, but my question is, don't we have better, more durable Dmen waiting in the wings in Charlotte to bring up as needed during the year? 

My point was we give him a PTO to see if he makes the roster. I don’t have him on the roster already.

kjun- he played 60% of the games the 3 good seasons. His last season was complications with concussions.

he is a big dude that hits.  Our defenders aren’t big hitters but they do stay on the ice. He would be the third highest remaining hitter on defense from last season despite only playing 35 games. We lost our top hitter, CdH, and the two hitters that averaged 1.5-2 hits a game are Faulk and Hamilton. He also does a decent job of moving the puck in ES. 

I'm not really familiar with the guy but if he can defend and hit, i don't much care how much he scores.  His +/- tends to be lower middle-of-the-pack on his team, which is what i look at more than looking at someone's +/- # in a vacuum.  If he had been consistently at the bottom on his team in that stat, i'd be more worried about it.

We traded D Carrick for D Wood from San Jose.

Seems like a pretty straight forward deal.  Canes are trading a guy they probably werent going to be able to play because of organizational depth for a guy that is signed for one more year and adds to the RHD depth of Charlotte.  Wood will more than likely be a career AHLer but, has the potential to be a bottom pairing guy.

17 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So one answer. Seeing where Forsburg was awarded $775K, but more significantly, a one way deal. Thoughts?

If I were him I wouldn't buy a house in Raleigh, just yet

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

So one answer. Seeing where Forsburg was awarded $775K, but more significantly, a one way deal. Thoughts?

When we traded for him, it didn’t seem his numbers were likely to land get him in the NHL. I thought he was organizational depth for Charlotte. Unless he clearly wins the backup job with the Canes, I’d be shocked if he is not released.

2 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

When we traded for him, it didn’t seem his numbers were likely to land get him in the NHL. I thought he was organizational depth for Charlotte. Unless he clearly wins the backup job with the Canes, I’d be shocked if he is not released.

Now that the arbitration decision is in can the Canes release him?  I'd think they're stuck with him for a year.

8 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Now that the arbitration decision is in can the Canes release him?  I'd think they're stuck with him for a year.

I have to think they can still waive him?

8 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

The team can accept the award of he becomes a UFA.  Not a lot of teams are looking for Goalies at this point so it was probably not a good move on his part. 

Edited by cclifford10

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I have to think they can still waive him?

1 hour ago, cclifford10 said:

The team can accept the award of he becomes a UFA.  Not a lot of teams are looking for Goalies at this point so it was probably not a good move on his part. 

Gotcha.  Methinks Forsbergs time with the Canes organization is done.  Can't see the Canes taking a risk to pay him $775k to play in Charlotte, especially since there's a chance we might be paying Reimer even more to play there if Ned plays lights out for the Canes.   Seems a shame as I bet Forsberg ends up signing a 2-way deal with another team anyways.

Edited by LakeLivin

I have to circle back to the DeHaan return on trade. I do get that the move freed up cap space. I guess one can intellectually apply that cap space in diffent directions. It allowed us to buy Toronto's first round pick and still sign Dzingle and so forth. But the trade itself is still one of the most questionable moves the committee has made to me. 

I still maintain that at the time the committee was panicking about the possibility of the music ending and having no goalie chair to sit in and needed something, anything that could help in goal. It's this kind of move that makes me still wonder how much luck is involved vs genius with some moves. If we move on from Forsberg or waive him and lose him, then the trade becomes DeHaaan for Forsling (and we gave them Saarlea). 

Losing Adam Fox after saying he was 99% here, getting Pu for Skinner, and the DeHaan trade stand out as questionable to me. 

BTW this does not mean I'm overall down on the committee. I gave them an "A" for crying out loud. So far things have turned out pretty well even on most of the questionable moves, and there's always Rask for Nino to bring the shine back. But no one gets them all right, and the DeHaan deal still seems a bit shakey to me. I guess time will tell.

17 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Gotcha.  Methinks Forsbergs time with the Canes organization is done.  Can't see the Canes taking a risk to pay him $775k to play in Charlotte, especially since there's a chance we might be paying Reimer even more to play there if Ned plays lights out for the Canes.   Seems a shame as I bet Forsberg ends up signing a 2-way deal with another team anyways.

Can he?  I don't fully know how it works but i don't see the benefit to going to arbitration to get the Mac-Daddy deal he wants, only to turn around and sign for what the Canes were willing to give him elsewhere because nobody else is willing to pay him $775 either.