Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

 

 

Going from losing rental of Hanifin and Lindholm to just Kapanen.  Not saying that's optimal either, but it's not like we had H & L locked down for decades.

No but the Canes could have done a better trade like I said last year !  When it comes to trades you Always seek to improve in areas that are lacking or improve upon   positions .  That is precisely what winning teams do   cause they are never satisfied with who they have cause it could be better !   and granted I  dont blame Waddell   much in the trade since  it's been a while  since he took over  the position of gm   after quite a few years .  It  takes time to get better . And we all saw that with such pick ups  like McElhinney and Nino .    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

 

Looks like just a rumor at this point. 😑

 

Pierre LeBrun reported that the Canes might be interested in the two for Hamilton, Pesce, or Faulk, but only after Zaitsev gets his bonus pay. 

 

This trade proposal makes no sense.

 

Giving up a Hamilton, Pesce, or Faulk for a bottom pairing D-man making 4.5 million per year.  De-Haan is making 4.55 million per year and he is essentially a bottom pairing D-Man for us.

 

I like Kapanen (liked his father too), but this year is the first year he has had more than 9 points and he’s 22. He also played on a loaded offensive team. 

 

Like I said, I like him but he is far from proven.

 

Toronto would have to sweeten this deal or change the pieces by a good margin IMO, taking on Zaitsev and his contract is essentially doing Toronto a favor, just like any team that trades for Marleau.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kyrule said:

 

This trade proposal makes no sense.

 

Giving up a Hamilton, Pesce, or Faulk for a bottom pairing D-man making 4.5 million per year.  De-Haan is making 4.55 million per year and he is essentially a bottom pairing D-Man for us.

 

I like Kapanen (liked his father too), but this year is the first year he has had more than 9 points and he’s 22. He also played on a loaded offensive team. 

 

Like I said, I like him but he is far from proven.

 

Toronto would have to sweeten this deal or change the pieces by a good margin IMO, taking on Zaitsev and his contract is essentially doing Toronto a favor, just like any team that trades for Marleau.

Agree with this.  Kapanen has a lot of upside, but at this point is still not a proven commodity.  I was a big Sami fan, but would not take a Kapanen for Hamilton trade at this point.  We don’t need Zaitsev 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reelpirate5 said:

Agree with this.  Kapanen has a lot of upside, but at this point is still not a proven commodity.  I was a big Sami fan, but would not take a Kapanen for Hamilton trade at this point.  We don’t need Zaitsev 

 

To me, if Toronto is a potential trading partner, RFAs Kapanen or Johnsson seem to be more realistic targets than Kapanen. The price would be much lower for the Canes but they won't bring nearly as much cap relief to the Leafs, so don't know if there's a deal to be made or not..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Oh, and apparently we are on Kadri’s 10 team no trade list according to The Fourth Period.

Wouldn’t want that goon anyways

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Oh, and apparently we are on Kadri’s 10 team no trade list according to The Fourth Period.

Annoying. 

 

It does point out the obvious. Raleigh is not going to be on a lot of UFA's short list. We are the diametric opposite of Toronto in a lot of ways too. 

 

This would be a factor in an offer sheet too, as an RFA still has the right to not sign an offer sheet. 

 

Criterion #1 for us getting a guy is that guy wanting to be here according to various committee members. Kadri is a mixed bag though. Not losing any sleep about him not wanting to be here, but more about the idea of us probably being on more than a few NTC lists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

 

 

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

FAs Kapanen or Johnsson seem to be more realistic targets than Kapanen. The price would be much lower for the Canes but they won't bring nearly as much cap relief to the Leafs, so don't know if there's a deal to be made o

I'm confused Lake, was this a misprint?

 

And on Kadri, maybe he doesn't want to put in the effort RBA is demanding?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, remkin said:

Annoying. 

 

It does point out the obvious. Raleigh is not going to be on a lot of UFA's short list. We are the diametric opposite of Toronto in a lot of ways too. 

 

This would be a factor in an offer sheet too, as an RFA still has the right to not sign an offer sheet. 

 

Criterion #1 for us getting a guy is that guy wanting to be here according to various committee members. Kadri is a mixed bag though. Not losing any sleep about him not wanting to be here, but more about the idea of us probably being on more than a few NTC lists.

 

Devils advocate, he might just see the Aho-Staal situation and doesn't think he can over take Staal to get back to the 2nd line minutes he wants.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading Patrick Laine is making some negotiation noises? Would anyone see him possibly fitting in here, or with our right side filled, would that even be a consideration? He is an amazing talent though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Oh, and apparently we are on Kadri’s 10 team no trade list according to The Fourth Period.

Good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Canes have the unusual luxury of letting the market come to them, for a change.  They need to take care of internal matters first;  sign Aho, sign one or both of the goalie incumbents, and sign JW.  They should make Ferland a reasonable offer, but not overpay, then let him go if that does not suffice.  Finally, they should have extension talks with Faulk to ascertain whether he will be here long term after next season.  If he signs, then Hamilton becomes the most marketable player to be moved for a forward.

I still like the idea of using Fleury plus our top pick to move up about 10 spots if the right player is available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do agree that Hamilton has played his way back into a very tradable asset, but I really don't want to trade him. Teams need points from the D. Teams also like to clog us down low and give us the point position. Hamilton makes them pay. He is our only real offensive D man, and arguably teams need at least one. Yes, Slavin is improving there, and Faulk pots some goals, but neither is at Hamilton's level. Despite a broken finger and new team adjustment, the guy put in 18 goals. That was #5 on the entire team, and #2 in the NHL for D men. 

 

I want a skilled forward as much as anyone, but to help the PP we need a distributor, and the team is already a bit short on snipers. We need guys who regularly put the puck into the net.

 

Even if we brought in a 30 goal sniper for Hamilton, the net is only 12 goals. But there's more. I think it matters where the goals come from as it makes us harder to stop if they come from everywhere including the D. Also, Hamilton has an edge and is a big guy. I think with him healed and now fully comfortable in our locker room, next season will be prime Hamilton. 

 

We want to build the best team possible and arguably Hamilton is our second best D man all around. Jake Bean's 44 points was basically tied for most by a rookie D man, but he is far from proving it at the NHL level yet. 

 

I'd be very slow to trade Hamilton unless the return was a young high skilled, proven producing NHL center. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t move Hamilton either. Hamilton will provide as much offense as the Pesce, Slavin, and de Haan, combined.  

 

Bean should provide the same offense as Faulk while being a lot cheaper for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Reading Patrick Laine is making some negotiation noises? Would anyone see him possibly fitting in here, or with our right side filled, would that even be a consideration? He is an amazing talent though?

Not for ten and that's how much he thinks of himself  lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wild card with Laine is that he has played well with Aho and Turbo in international tournaments all the way back to juniors. He is a sniper; and he might thrive with them again. Of course, it would be a mistake to overpay due to his lack of defensive commitment. He may just want out of Winterpeg; who wouldn't !!! At least as a Fin he is used to the extreme cold. Raleigh isn't high on FA's list of destinations, but Winnipeg is near the bottom; even for Canadian born players. That said, it's unlikely that the Canes are interested taking the term risk with him since there are a few other RFA's that they could consider; if an offer sheet is in the cards. And, I would be surprised if DW and TD extend an offer sheet to any of the top $$ RFA's because of the cost in draft picks. Trading is the better option in the long term.

As far as the Dougie situation; I think his best play with us is ahead of him, and I wouldn't move him unless a team approaches us with a deal that we can't refuse! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liane is a younger version of Skinner.  Inconsistent scorer that makes you squeamish when he isn’t scoring.

 

He would cost an arm and leg to acquire and to pay. Pass.

 

this move is more than likely a ploy to get more money than Winnipeg was originally offering.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

 

To me, if Toronto is a potential trading partner, RFAs Kapanen or Johnsson seem to be more realistic targets than Kapanen Nylander.  The price would be much lower for the Canes but they won't bring nearly as much cap relief to the Leafs, so don't know if there's a deal to be made or not..  

 

6 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

 

I'm confused Lake, was this a misprint?

 

And on Kadri, maybe he doesn't want to put in the effort RBA is demanding?

 

Nah, it was a brain cramp on my part.  I can't imagine linking Dougie to a Kapanen trade, so I was thinking Nylander (even though ReelPirate specifically said Kapanen).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, remkin said:

I do agree that Hamilton has played his way back into a very tradable asset, but I really don't want to trade him. Teams need points from the D. Teams also like to clog us down low and give us the point position. Hamilton makes them pay. He is our only real offensive D man, and arguably teams need at least one. Yes, Slavin is improving there, and Faulk pots some goals, but neither is at Hamilton's level. Despite a broken finger and new team adjustment, the guy put in 18 goals. That was #5 on the entire team, and #2 in the NHL for D men. 

 

I want a skilled forward as much as anyone, but to help the PP we need a distributor, and the team is already a bit short on snipers. We need guys who regularly put the puck into the net.

 

Even if we brought in a 30 goal sniper for Hamilton, the net is only 12 goals. But there's more. I think it matters where the goals come from as it makes us harder to stop if they come from everywhere including the D. Also, Hamilton has an edge and is a big guy. I think with him healed and now fully comfortable in our locker room, next season will be prime Hamilton. 

 

We want to build the best team possible and arguably Hamilton is our second best D man all around. Jake Bean's 44 points was basically tied for most by a rookie D man, but he is far from proving it at the NHL level yet. 

 

I'd be very slow to trade Hamilton unless the return was a young high skilled, proven producing NHL center. 

I am not gung ho to move Hamilton in a trade, seeing that he seems to have become comfortable with the culture in Raleigh.  That said, I am 100% opposed to moving Slavin or Pesce, so unless we are packaging some Charlotte prospects and/or draft picks, acquiring a quality forward via trade seems like a stretch, if you're unwilling to include Hamilton.  Carolina has not traditionally been a magnet for free agent signings, but it is possible with their success this season, some heads could be turned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pesce is not going anywhere unless a team overpays for him.  He's on a good value long term contract, is a RHD that can skate and play defense.  There is NO reason for us to move him unless he is the key piece to us getting a #1 winger.  

 

What if we were to use one of the 2nds to get a forward with 1 year left until UFA (Chris Kreider or Tyler Toffoli for example)?   We have lots of options.  I hope we can make it work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we want a C, I still think an offer sheet for William Karlsson is an attractive alternative. We could offer as much as $7.5M x 7 and it would cost us two 1sts, one 2nd, and one 3rd. If he would agree to $8M for five years (probably unlikely given he's 26), it would only cost us one 1st. He's a promising young center who would give us Aho, Karlsson, and Staal down the middle. At this point, I just don't see much in the way of UFAs for the C position: Hayes is gone. Duchene and Pavelski are not coming here. No to Turris and Kadri. Maybe Dzingel. Any realistic possibilities for a C in a trade??? Maybe Hoffman?  

Edited by spyglass88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, spyglass88 said:

If we want a C, I still think an offer sheet for William Karlsson is an attractive alternative. We could offer as much as $7.5M x 7 and it would cost us two 1sts, one 2nd, and one 3rd. If he would agree to $8M for five years (probably unlikely given he's 26), it would only cost us one 1st. He's a promising young center who would give us Aho, Karlsson, and Staal down the middle. At this point, I just don't see much in the way of UFAs for the C position: Hayes is gone. Duchene and Pavelski are not coming here. No to Turris and Kadri. Maybe Dzingel. Any realistic possibilities for a C in a trade??? Maybe Hoffman?  

I think 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd is a bit much for Karlsson. 

 

Available trades:

LV could look to move their 3 1 year left contracts which includes Haula.  He was hurt last year.

 

JT Miller- probably a cast off so that TB can re-sign Point. Hybrid C / RW

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be very cautious of Hoffman. He could be one of the few guys who can actually destroy a locker room from what rumors I've heard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...