The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

As I'm reading about trade speculations here (yes, and honestly salivating at what each would bring), I admit to total ignorance along these lines to specifics such as rem's comment regarding Hoffman for instance. The thought I've just had was I'm curious how instrumental RBA can be, or frankly does he have the time, in getting insider info thru his vast interconnections he must have from the prospective on the nitty gritty about a player? While I'm sure that the complexities of a trade are vast, a GM or whoever consummates the final step has to rely on another GM's honesty (is that oxymoronic), scouts, scuttlebutt and the like, but it would appear to me that someone like Brindy with much more intimate connections to the true player persona, could be an invaluable "guiding light" so to speak to better fits in these trade scenarios? Am I overthinking this, or is this another + component to Dundon's hire?

2 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

As I'm reading about trade speculations here (yes, and honestly salivating at what each would bring), I admit to total ignorance along these lines to specifics such as rem's comment regarding Hoffman for instance.

I'm guessing it was his fiancee's harassment/cyberbullying thing?  If all the talk i heard really happened, i'd say a strong no to Hoffman as well.

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd is a bit much for Karlsson.

Not so sure. The 1sts would be in 2020 and 2021. Consider: (1) we have multiple second round picks this year and next—three 2nds in 2019 and two 2nds in 2020 (assuming Fox plays 30 games for NYR); (2) if we go deep in the playoffs the next two years (hopefully!), the 1sts will be late 1st-round picks (like this year); and (3) we currently have several developing prospects that could offset the loss of those picks.

Of course, this assumes that adding a top-six C would help us more than adding a winger. 

Edited by spyglass88

8 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

Not so sure. The 1sts would be in 2020 and 2021. Consider: (1) we have multiple second round picks this year and next—three 2nds in 2019 and two 2nds in 2020 (assuming Fox plays 30 games for NYR); (2) if we go deep in the playoffs the next two years (hopefully!), the 1sts will be late 1st-round picks (like this year); and (3) we currently have several developing prospects that could offset the loss of those picks.

Of course, this assumes that adding a top-six C would help us more than adding a winger. 

If we did this we would have NY’s 2nd or 3rd, Buffalo’s 3rd, and our 4th-7th in next season’s draft. So we’d either getting depth guys or letting go of serious prospects. Or nothing.  

Edited by gocanes0506

7 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

If we did this we would have NY’s 2nd or 3rd and our 4th-7th in next season’s draft. So we’d either do nothing at the deadline or make prospect only deals.  

Yes, but we also would have had Karlsson as our 2C for 2019-20 and for several years to come. The guy scored 67 goals and had 67 assists over the last two years. Based on that performance, he has 30-goal and 60-point potential, and he's only 26.  

12 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I think it's time for try 3 with Darling in net.  The 3rd time is always a charm.

BE20F606-D497-429A-90D3-A28E272D0C15.gif

Raleigh has not been a lucrative UFA destination mostly because the team sucked.  UFA's are going to get paid, and usually can go pretty much where they want to go.  Who wants to go to a loser?  I don't even know if I want a guy that is signing up to play on a losing team.  Not everybody is dying to play in the huge markets.  There are positives to that, and there are also negatives.  Compare cost of living and available outdoor activities in Raleigh and LA or NY.  Not every kid grew up wanting to be a Leaf.  Maybe some kids are tired of freezing to death.  Bottom line, a winning product fixes many ills.  Also, everybody in the league isn't Canadian.

NHL players in 2018/2019

Capture.thumb.PNG.e7ad086040d8ce85970fc999abe7f6c9.PNG

2 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I'm guessing it was his fiancee's harassment/cyberbullying thing?  If all the talk i heard really happened, i'd say a strong no to Hoffman as well.

That was part of it, but it went further. Last year Patrick O Sullivan was on XM. He quoted a guy by name who was in the locker room and claimed that Hoffman was basically a bad teammate. Pathologically self-absorbed to a degree sufficient to affect the room. It was Patrick who also said that in his experience most guys who might be problematic or odd, aren't out there enough to really affect the room, and that the guys who can are fairly uncommon. But he claimed Hoffman was one of them.

4 hours ago, remkin said:

I would be very cautious of Hoffman. He could be one of the few guys who can actually destroy a locker room from what rumors I've heard.

I've heard nothing but bad things about Hoffman .  The last thing the canes need is someone who is going to disrupt the locker room .  Hamilton  would  HATE  playing with a guy  like  Hoffman . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

2 hours ago, remkin said:

That was part of it, but it went further. Last year Patrick O Sullivan was on XM. He quoted a guy by name who was in the locker room and claimed that Hoffman was basically a bad teammate. Pathologically self-absorbed to a degree sufficient to affect the room. It was Patrick who also said that in his experience most guys who might be problematic or odd, aren't out there enough to really affect the room, and that the guys who can are fairly uncommon. But he claimed Hoffman was one of them.

On the other hand, William Karlsson won the Bing Trophy last year, which is given to the the player who "exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability."

(Ok . . . so this is my last post on Karlsson for a while 🤫)

Craig Custance of The Athletic lists the following Cs as potential top-20 trade candidates: Kyle Turris (NSH), Chris Kreider (NYR), J.T. Miller (TB), and Vladislav Namestnikov (NYR).

Kreider and Miller are a reliable 20+ goal and 50+ point scorers. Krider is 28 years old and Miller is 26. Miller was a little down on the numbers this past season with Tampa. 

Not sure how any of these would work as a 2C for us.

Edited by spyglass88

13 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

Craig Custance of The Atlantic

The Athletic.

Only fixing this because the last time someone said it was The Atlantic we got a page worth of how bad the Atlantic sucks and they'd never read it or take it seriously lol.

• Like 2

Perhaps i made the point above badly, but my previous post was to speculate how RBA could possibly be invaluable in these contemplated trades, at a level most GMs can't get to simply by being connected at player/coach level? My point was not to focus on anyone player (Hoffman) that most took off with after i posted? Sorry if I confused.

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

The Athletic.

Only fixing this because the last time someone said it was The Atlantic we got a page worth of how bad the Atlantic sucks and they'd never read it or take it seriously lol.

Corrected! Thanks, my friend. Don't want to trigger a lot of irrelevant posts.

Not a Rumor.

A poolparty for fluery trade seems like it might make sense for both teams... assuming Faulk re-signs.

Both under achieving high picks that need a change and would move to a week spot on the acquiring teams.

Just now, cclifford10 said:

Not a Rumor.

A poolparty for fluery trade seems like it might make sense for both teams... assuming Faulk re-signs.

Both under achieving high picks that need a change and would move to a week spot on the acquiring teams.

It really doesn’t make any sense for us. We don’t need failing, 4th line wingers.  We need legit scorers.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

It really doesn’t make any sense for us. We don’t need failing, 4th line wingers.  We need legit scorers.

Ok, then let's trade Fleury for Patrick Kane.

We are not going to get legit scorers for Fleury right now.

Jesse Puljujarvi

Right Wing -- shoots R
Born May 7 1998 -- Alvkarleby, Sweden 
[21 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.04 -- Weight 223 

History of playing well with Aho.
Size
Right Handed
Needs a fresh start in his development.

1 hour ago, cclifford10 said:

Ok, then let's trade Fleury for Patrick Kane.

We are not going to get legit scorers for Fleury right now.

Jesse Puljujarvi

Right Wing -- shoots R
Born May 7 1998 -- Alvkarleby, Sweden 
[21 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.04 -- Weight 223 

History of playing well with Aho.
Size
Right Handed
Needs a fresh start in his development.

If Fleury isn’t in a package for legit scorer then he needs to stay on a 2 year bridge to improve his value.

31 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

If Fleury isn’t in a package for legit scorer then he needs to stay on a 2 year bridge to improve his value.

I really didn't see any indication that he was going to improve. There were no flashes of offense, and on defense, he was just kind of there. He looked like just another guy to me.