Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2019 Draft

Recommended Posts

Assuming we don’t move any.

 

Since we are towards the bottom, I go with Nolan Foote as our 1st round pick. Safe pick, NHL pedigree, and plays a very smart game. 
36th and 37th pick- Choose 2, Hoglander, Beaucage, and Grewe

 

Hoglander is a smaller RW who gets to top speed quickly and maneuvers well. Didn’t do well in his first SHL season. Could be a 1st pick that had a bad year or could be guy that over performed in lower leagues. 2nd round pick is worth the gamble.  Seen some mocks where he goes before 28th.

 

Grewe seems like the quintessential Canes 2nd round pick. Super quick and has a lot of skill.  High energy, battles, etc. The one concern is he has backed away from contact since the hype train started. My guess is he was injured but didn’t want to be known in fear of it killing his draft stock.  An injury didn’t but shying away from contact & dirty areas has.  Under appreciated pick seems like the Canes way.

 

Beaucage- good winger who has jumped up the rankings because if his growth spurt. Could add some power to his finesse game with the new height and eventually more weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well normally by now I've immersed myself in the draft prospects, at least for round 1, and have done so since at least April. And I cannot tell you what a nice change it is that essentially my knowledge on next year's prospects goes: Jack Hughs, Kaapo Kakko.....and supposedly a deep draft. 

 

I expect to start taking a bit of a look over the next few weeks, but our picks are in a tough to predict range. 

 

If I'm getting the rules right we will pick either 28 or 29 depending on who wins the WCF, then pick 33 and 38 before eventually picking 59 or 60, assuming we don't move any of those picks. If we don't move them, it would be an interesting cluster of picks with 3 picks out of 10 late first, early second.

 

I maintain my long standing wish to move up to get the right guy or use the picks to package in a deal for a higher end player. I just think we have a nice prospect pool, but need to try to find the higher end guy. There are surely hidden gems in the late first, early second, and over the years, we've surely found some, but IMO we are really at the point where high skill is the need and a package might get one in a trade. 

 

Historically, undersized high producers have been found here, most notably recently Alex DeBrincat. 5'7", #39 overall, just hit 40 goals and 76 points in his second season. Problem is that other teams have seen that the size vs skill debate has been won. I doubt the next DeBrincat falls that far, but you never know. 

 

Anyways, most of us probably need a little time to see what's hanging out in the #28-#38 range this year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Gonna be picking 28th...so it’ll be a low risk forward probably 

28th or 29th, correct AWACS? Isn't somewhat dependent on how the Blues fare, not that 1 place means a thing down that far? Sorry rem, didn't see yours before I posted?

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the spot the Canes are in  28th  and it being this years draft .  Unless  the Canes plan on having a brain fart   ( which they are )  they will forgo drafting any defense this year .  Shame  too  because this years defense is surprisingly  good this year  !    Tom Dundon told  Waddle to not draft any defensemen this year .   So  the end result is maybe  forwards and goalies .   

 

The top prospects from this years draft are all in the top 12   , after that it's  a huge slide  down   mostly guys fit for the ahl , but who knows maybe some of those  " AHLERS "  could end up cracking the roster of an NHL club some day .   Some one please tell Dundon to  STOP BEING AN IDIOT   AND LET WADDLE  DRAFT SOME DEFENSE THIS YEAR DAMN IT !   it's not going to hurt the Club ! {   BTW  the only draft to really focus on is next years draft and the year after that !  } 

Edited by Canesfanforever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

In the spot the Canes are in  28th  and it being this years draft .  Unless  the Canes plan on having a brain fart   ( which they are )  they will forgo drafting any defense this year .  Shame  too  because this years defense is surprisingly  good this year  !    Tom Dundon told  Waddle to not draft any defensemen this year .   So  the end result is maybe  forwards and goalies .   

 

The top prospects from this years draft are all in the top 12   , after that it's  a huge slide  down   mostly guys fit for the ahl , but who knows maybe some of those  " AHLERS "  could end up cracking the roster of an NHL club some day .   Some one please tell Dundon to  STOP BEING AN IDIOT   AND LET WADDLE  DRAFT SOME DEFENSE THIS YEAR DAMN IT !   it's not going to hurt the Club ! {   BTW  the only draft to really focus on is next years draft and the year after that !  } 

Cff, I hope your last comment was facetious, as why would this team need to line up more Dmen when they are stacked on top of one another now? That would be more than inane? They seem to be needing a goalie prospect more than anything although I realize those are the biggest risk?

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Actually, if there’s a halfway decent goalie prospect, why not snag em with a late 1st or one of our 2nds?

Big Sogaard should be there around our 2nd round pick.

 

6’7, yep.

had a respectable year for Medicine Hat with a 2.64 GAA. .921 sv %

his U20 stats for Denmark, not too good.  6.16 and .802.  

 

#2 ranked NA goalie.

 

colten Ellis.  Decent stats in QMJHL but not as good for Canada’s U18 squad.  I guess due to my lack of knowledge of QMJHL, his numbers of 2.47 and.913 are actually really good.  People on hf boards are saying he should have more hype based on his play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Cff, I hope your last comment was facetious, as why would this team need to line up more Dmen when they are stacked on top of one another now? That would be more than inane? They seem to be needing a goalie prospect more than anything although I realize those are the biggest risk?

it's real simple .  if a defensive prospect were to start turning heads that  could lend itself to joining the line up   and improving on a position  allowing the canes to make trades with teams that could use a defenseman  more than we already do .   And if you looked at this years draft you would  see that it's  loaded with talented defense men   more so than forwards .   tell me who the canes should be going after since you  think the canes dont need to use any picks on some defense ,  btw the canes defense has holes and flaws in it and it was exposed  on national tv . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:
3 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

btw the canes defense has holes and flaws in it and it was exposed  on national tv . 

 

Strange, ALMOST EVERY pundit I listened to, save for you, raved over our defensemen in these playoffs. The series where they imploded at the end, to my eyes, had breakdowns all over the ice, too many that the D did not have enough fingers to plug the dyke? Yet you'd suggest that we should take players that almost no-one thinks could even be ready for a good several years before they mature enough to be useful? Where does that get us? Then what, trade away the D excess next year, leaving us vulnerable until these D you propose we take in this draft mature? Sounds like a perfect plan to me, IF we follow the 10 year plan the USSR use to promote back in the day. No thanks to that. Since we've emerged from the no playoff desert, I would like to stay out of April tee times. Personally I don't have the time to study potential draftees like some of you do, as I have other responsibilities, and at # 28-29, I would have even less of a clue, but I'm sure there are several on this board who could suggest a forward (possibly another Aho) with at least some chance to be useful in less than 3 years? And guess what, since we've got 2 second round picks close to that 1st rounder, I'd like to personally see us bundle Faulk and some combination of those picks to either move up, of try to get an impactful established top 6 player.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

And guess what, since we've got 2 second round picks close to that 1st rounder, I'd like to personally see us bundle Faulk and some combination of those picks to either move up, of try to get an impactful established top 6 player. 

I’m perfectly fine with that if we try it...doubt it’ll work though.  But this is a NICE problem to have for a change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

I’m perfectly fine with that if we try it...doubt it’ll work though.  But this is a NICE problem to have for a change.

 

At least give it a shot and see what happens, right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Strange, ALMOST EVERY pundit I listened to, save for you, raved over our defensemen in these playoffs. The series where they imploded at the end, to my eyes, had breakdowns all over the ice, too many that the D did not have enough fingers to plug the dyke? Yet you'd suggest that we should take players that almost no-one thinks could even be ready for a good several years before they mature enough to be useful? Where does that get us? Then what, trade away the D excess next year, leaving us vulnerable until these D you propose we take in this draft mature? Sounds like a perfect plan to me, IF we follow the 10 year plan the USSR use to promote back in the day. No thanks to that. Since we've emerged from the no playoff desert, I would like to stay out of April tee times. Personally I don't have the time to study potential draftees like some of you do, as I have other responsibilities, and at # 28-29, I would have even less of a clue, but I'm sure there are several on this board who could suggest a forward (possibly another Aho) with at least some chance to be useful in less than 3 years? And guess what, since we've got 2 second round picks close to that 1st rounder, I'd like to personally see us bundle Faulk and some combination of those picks to either move up, of try to get an impactful established top 6 player.  

I kind of want to bookmark this  quote  so we can look back on it  and see who was right  or wrong  in the future .  The  problem with your assessment is that it would take years to develop  certain talents  and that the canes would be impacted  by  "  waiting till they got better "   sort of deal .   Then why was it last year  at the draft the canes made a trade with Calgary  to not only pick up Hamilton  but also  Fox  ?    In my eyes it was in Waddles hopes to replace  " Certain " people to improve upon ,  HELL  half of the people if not majority  here were all about that  when the canes traded Hanifin  for Hamilton .  Was that  a bad deal in your eyes ?   if not then how does this not apply in the same vain ?  im not for one on  not selecting no defense this  year  like some of you .  My position has always been clear  on these forums  .  Draft the best player available ,  All im saying is if  the best player Available so happened to be a defense man then you draft them !  You never  address team needs in a draft  unless they co inside with each other than consider yourself lucky  . Team needs can be addressed  later   via trade or free agency .    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disagree CFF...you draft with the best foresight you can to assess what your team’s glaring need is about 3-4 years down the road, when most of these draftees will be coming into their prime.

 

There’s always caveats to that statement...Svech 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I kind of want to bookmark this  quote  so we can look back on it  and see who was right  or wrong  in the future .

 

Are you saying that it's so vitally important for you to win an argument on an NHL team's fan forum that you will bookmark it so you can bask in your glory in the years to come?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

 

Are you saying that it's so vitally important for you to win an argument on an NHL team's fan forum that you will bookmark it so you can bask in your glory in the years to come?

Hey, some folks thrive on stuff like this ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

Disagree CFF...you draft with the best foresight you can to assess what your team’s glaring need is about 3-4 years down the road, when most of these draftees will be coming into their prime.

 

There’s always caveats to that statement...Svech 

That was a cosigned  pick , it not only was the best player available but team need as well .   The year the canes drafted Zach  Boychuck ,  do you know who the next pick was ? Erik Karlsson .     The Canes could of had him that year  but  didnt get him but instead  used the pick over a team need  vs  best player  available    .  There are far more examples  I could go on and list but I hope you see my point .   I just think it's unwise  as to the way Dundon puts it " Don't draft any more defense "    for this years draft when it clearly shows on paper that this years best  pool of players  are mostly defense  men .   Im all for the betterment of this team and if that means drafting a guy  that could potentially  replace a guy we already have  then I dont see the problem there  .  Maybe you could better explain where im wrong on that ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So?  Look at the players selected after Fleury, Hanifin, and Lindholm who thus far have had more resounding success.  Aisles thought they struck gold with Rick DiPietro...

 

It’s almost never a sure thing...there’s a lot of what if’s...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

So?  Look at the players selected after Fleury, Hanifin, and Lindholm who thus far have had more resounding success.  Aisles thought they struck gold with Rick DiPietro...

 

It’s almost never a sure thing...there’s a lot of what if’s...

Interesting Side note  on Dipietro  ,  They did draft Chara  and other players that were decent pick ups for that team  but Mike Milbury traded them all away  for players he thought  were going to be better .  For Example they had Luongo  and got rid of him for ole Ricky .  Yes  bad Gm's are a thing Peter Chiarelli ,  Mike Milbury , Jim Rutherford .  and one could claim in the past or maybe still  Don Waddle  .  #FireWaddle   But I rest my case . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Interesting Side note  on Dipietro  ,  They did draft Chara  and other players that were decent pick ups for that team  but Mike Milbury traded them all away  for players he thought  were going to be better .  For Example they had Luongo  and got rid of him for ole Ricky .  Yes  bad Gm's are a thing Peter Chiarelli ,  Mike Milbury , Jim Rutherford .  and one could claim in the past or maybe still  Don Waddle  .  #FireWaddle   But I rest my case . 

It is kind of hard to give much weight to your comments when you can't even spell our GM's name, it's Waddell. If this was an attempt at humor, it was definitely lost on me.

And for the record, I agree that a blanket prohibition on Dmen is not a good idea. But best player available is an assessment of value which should include factors of team need as well as projections of player potential. If your D pipe is clogged and you are having trouble flipping some for value, then the best forward available has more value to you than a better projected Dman. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I kind of want to bookmark this  quote  so we can look back on it  and see who was right  or wrong...

 

How about we bookmark that quote where you said if the Canes don’t draft Nichuskin that it was a joke organization and that we would suffer for years to come?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...