The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2019 Draft

OMG im so happy .  Carolina will not regret this  choice .   I had  Suzuki  listed as one of the players  the canes could go after if we moved up some   but  THANK THE HOCKEY GODS  HE SLID TO US !    He played with Svechnikov   in  Andreis    rookie year  and showed a ton of chemistry with  Svechnikov .    

Edited by Canesfanforever
  • Like 1

Just noticed we were probably the only team up there who didn’t have the draftees name on the jersey when we selected him.

Suzuki is a playmaker  .  HIGHLY SKILLED IN ALL AREAS  ,   if he gets the proper   development to play with that killer edge  then he will be  our 2nd line guy in the future ! 

Just now, AWACSooner said:

Just noticed we were probably the only team up there who didn’t have the draftees name on the jersey when we selected him.

My money is on  Tomansino  is who they wanted . 

More write up

Suzuki certainly has no shortage of skill in his repertoire. While he lacks the game-breaking speed you like to see from lighter forwards (6-foot and a little over 180 pounds), his puck skills and vision in the offensive zone really are outstanding. His passing ability stands out the most. This is evidenced in the play shown below.

The Colts get a 3-on-1 opportunity against the Niagara IceDogs. Luke Bignell races down the right wing with a Niagara defender closing in. Bignell then passes the puck to Suzuki, skating through the left faceoff circle. Many players would elect to shoot in this situation, but Suzuki instead delivers the puck back to the trailing Aidan Brown, leading to an easy tap-in goal that cut the enemy lead in half

Suzuki’s expertise as a playmaker is so good that, believe it or not, it actually has a somewhat of a negative effect on his game at times. Suzuki has the potential to create offense on his own, but it is not uncommon to see him elect to make an ill-advised pass even when an opportunity to shoot presents itself. This is backed up by his advanced metrics, provided by Mitch Brown in his CHL Data Tracking Project (hat tip to Eyes On The Prize).

1.png

This comes as a bit of a surprise, especially considering just how good Suzuki is with the puck on his stick. Not only does he possess a good, accurate shot, but he’s also flashed some awe-inspiring abilities as a puck handler.

In the play shown below (also against the IceDogs), Suzuki enters the zone cleanly and dangles his way around a pair of Niagara defenders before sneaking a quick wrister past the goaltender.

Considering how skilled Suzuki is in the offensive zone, his artistry on the power play probably shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. Suzuki led all Colts skaters with 28 power-play points in 2018-19, including eight goals and 20 assists. This power-play strike against the Flint Firebirds exhibits his impressive puck handling and sneaky dangerous shot.

Though Suzuki’s offensive acumen is what stands out the most, he also plays a respectable defensive game — good enough that he was trusted with penalty-killing duties this past season

Edited by gocanes0506

4 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

He’ll be overpaid next season.

He’s signed for five more years at an AAV of 4.85 million.

Just now, Canesfanforever said:

My money is on  Tomansino  is who they wanted . 

I think DW wasn’t expecting Suzuki to be available at that point 

Just now, Kyrule said:

That’s gonna be cheap in the long run 

Just now, Kyrule said:

Yep when his shooting percentage goes down to regular levels, he wont look so good.

I think DW wasn’t expecting Suzuki to be available at that point 

I don't think anyone did to be honest .   Suzuki is the real deal and a STEAL   at where we got him ! 

1st round over and there’s some solid players that we could snag early in the second tomorrow: Brink, Lavoie, and Kaliyev 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

1st round over and there’s some solid players that we could snag early in the second tomorrow: Brink, Lavoie, and Kaliyev 

Dont forget Hoglander ! 

Just now, Canesfanforever said:

Dont forget Hoglander ! 

Him too...

One last thing...should we use our final second rounder on the next best goalie available?

Him too...

One last thing...should we use our final second rounder on the next best goalie available?

Hope so, goodnight all.

• Like 2

NHL.com’s 3 mock drafts had Suzuki going 17,19, 19.  So that’s a pretty big drop.  Sounds good to me. 

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

NHL.com’s 3 mock drafts had Suzuki going 17,19, 19.  So that’s a pretty big drop.  Sounds good to me. 

And then again I saw plenty that didn’t even have Knight going in the first round 

9 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

And then again I saw plenty that didn’t even have Knight going in the first round 

All 3 NHL.com mocks nailed Knight to Florida at 13 though

It’s day 2...time for us to commit our usual 2nd round robbery...except we get to do it thrice!

Very pleased with the selection of Suzuki. He was rated higher in all mock drafts that count and has a history with Svech. Has elite skill, just needs to add consistency and grit ot his game. Also, Dale Hawerchuk, his coach in Barrie, has mentored many quality players currently in the NHL. Today should be interesting with Kaliyev, Lavoie, Hoglander, and Leason still on the board. Kaliyev, in particular, has some warts but could be a major steal. A big winger who can score in bunches. It also wouldn't surprise me to see us look for another nugget in Finland, as well. Joni has been integral to our drafting the last few years.