The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2019 Draft

It's a "big goalie" world and we're all just livin' in it.

Mads Sogaard, 6'7" 199. 2.64 GAA, .919 SV in the WHL.  Not a lot of Danish players in the NHL (7 active).

Pyotr Kochetkov, 6'3" 180.  2.13 GAA, .930 SV in the Russia 2nd, and is under contract with the KHL for 2 more seasons, but wants to be an NHL goalie..

Hugo Alnevelt, 6'3" 185. 2.59 GAA, .905 SV in Sweden's JL.

Hunter Jones, 6'4" 202.  3.31 GAA .902 SV on a middle-of-the-pack Petes team in the OHL.

Not sold on height being a end all with goalies...or else Mongo would be an all star.

Kochetkov’s numbers are intriguing...two more seasons in the KHL aren’t a big worry.  If I were GM, I’d swing for one of them with our final 2nd.

Also, let’s hope the league officially releases the cap numbers before the resumption of the draft so the trades can begin!

16 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Not sold on height being a end all with goalies...or else Mongo would be an all star.

The goalie rankings this year just seem to lean towards the taller prospects, as the top 6 are all 6'3" or more.  It's a factor, not as important to me as ability or work ethic, but everything else being equal you want the bigger guy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I pass on Lavoie and Kaliyev.

Give me Hoglander and Grewe

gocanes, those announcers last night, as best as I could tell, kept hyping Kaliyev for whatever reason. Just curious why you seem so against him? Just asking as I know nothing at this point?

Also, AWACS, I thought I'd heard in answer to your statement, that those figures (Cap numbers) will be released "later"? They will be intriguing and the chaos that follows, of which I hope we take advantage?

Edited by KJUNKANE

16 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

gocanes, those announcers last night, as best as I could tell, kept hyping Kaliyev for whatever reason. Just curious why you seem so against him? Just asking as I know nothing at this point?

Also, AWACS, I thought I'd heard in answer to your statement, that those figures (Cap numbers) will be released "later"? They will be intriguing and the chaos that follows, of which I hope we take advantage?

Sounds like it’s gonna be around $81M and a lot of teams are over because they planned for $83M.  So that could set off a feeding frenzy.

Only a small sample size, but I watched Raphael Lavoie during the Memorial Cup and saw a big physical center who liked to get to the net. However, sometimes in Junior hockey, an 18-19 yo large body (6-4, 199) can dominate against smaller and younger players, appearing as a can't miss prospect (see Nick Roy). But he did look strong on the puck, and Halifax was dangerous with him out there. Ranked as #20 North American skater. 

22 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

They hyping him because he is a fantastic shot.

his skating and even more so his defense are very suspect.  Skating is so important in the league now and defense is important to brindy.  He doesn’t fit us.

His skating must be pretty bad if his 50 goals couldn’t overcome it. Pavel Brendl comp.

all the suspect skaters fell out of the first round.  

Grewe and Hoglander on the other hand are excellent skaters. Grewe is even categorized as a bulldog who goes in the dirty areas.  His size and late bloomage have held him back.

Edited by gocanes0506

54 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I'll take Vladislav Kolyachonok with one of the two seconds. 

Cheapskate Dundon won't pay for all those letters on a jersey

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Cheapskate Dundon won't pay for all those letters on a jersey

It’s only 2 more than Svech...maybe he can get a package deal ;)

From all accounts we did well with the Suzuki pick. Today I'm hoping we can use a draft pick or two to bundle with a player and make a trade. Probable that is because I understand trades better than I understand the roll the dice draft process.

According to NBC.com, below is a list of potential first rounders that fell to the second. Ironic there are 6 and we pick 5th and 6th.

I agree with Coastal. Grab the Russian goalie, then take the BPA from the list below (I added that last part). 

I also agree with OBXer, even better, use one or both picks to package in the BIG DEAL. But odds are we just step up and pick.

Best of the Rest
Pavel Dorofeyev – LW/RW – highest pre-draft ranking – 16th (Elite Prospects)
Nils Höglander – LW – highest pre-draft ranking – 18th (The Athletic)
Patrik Puistola – LW  – highest pre-draft ranking – 19th (The Athletic)
Matthew Robertson – D – highest pre-draft ranking – 19th (Future Considerations/ISS)
Vladislav Kolyachonok – D – highest pre-draft ranking – 22nd (Hockey Prospects)
Nicholas Robertson – C/LW – highest pre-draft ranking – 25th (The Athletic)

The draft reconvenes at 1 p.m. E.T. on Saturday. Here’s the full order for the second round.

Round 2
32. Ottawa
33. Los Angeles
34. New Jersey
35. Detroit
36. Carolina (from BUF)
37. Carolina (from NYR)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Something happen last night?  I was watching BattleBots.

That would’ve been more entertaining than most of the first round. 

Robots kicking the *edit* out of each other > “the XXX would like to thank the city of Vancouver and congratulate the St Louis Blues”

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Robots kicking the *edit* out of each other > “the XXX would like to thank the city of Vancouver and congratulate the St Louis Blues”

I did like the shouted chorus of 'Merci!!' from their fans when Montreal congratulated the Blues.  I am so here for the Bruins hate.

Kaliyev to the Kings early on in round 2.  His low floor kept him out of the first round, but as soon as a GM isn't risking a 'FIRSt ROUND BUST', which often gets them fired, his talent was attractive to a team that plays his style.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caniac-1-1 said:

Kaliyev to the Kings early on in round 2.  His low floor kept him out of the first round, but as soon as a GM isn't risking a 'FIRSt ROUND BUST', which often gets them fired, his talent was attractive to a team that plays his style.

If there’s a team that enjoys Russian busts, it’s the Kings ;)