The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2019 Draft

Just now, gocanes0506 said:

One round too late

That’s what happens when you keep trading those damn picks for lower ones!

Is DW trading picks to get more restocking of Charlotte in anticipation of trades/call-ups/UFA’s?

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

Is DW trading picks to get more restocking of Charlotte in anticipation of trades/call-ups/UFA’s?

Outside of Finnish players none can come to Charlotte.

1 minute ago, realmdrakkar said:

Rutherfart drafted a guy from the Drakkar.  I'm very understandably annoyed by this.  I hope the kid snubs them

Time to change your handle...ask BD58 for one of his 

1 minute ago, realmdrakkar said:

The '2019 NHL Draft' Twitter seems quite impressed with our drafting.

Can’t complain about the players we actually selected...

At first glance I really like the way we drafted. One has to remember we did not have Even a top 25 first round pick.

The one caveat is that I would empty the chamber and trade up but that is just not something that happens. The other caveat is I would love to trade a bunch of draft picks as part of that big move we’ve all been waiting for.

But taking those two things out of the equation, and we actually did partially accomplish the trade up, this looks like a pretty good making of pretty not great draft position.

In the first round we took a big dropper with elite skills. It is exactly what I would want to do with a late first round pick. There is risk there but there is also a big upside. We don’t need any more Tweeners or mushy middle guys. Our coaches either teach this guy how to play and utilize all that skill or the flames out. I’d bet on the former.

Obviously I wanted us to grab a goalie. Other than emptying the barrels and trying to get up to number 12 for Knight, which is nearly impossible, we got second best goalie in the draft in my opinion. Yes there is risk he may try to stay in Russia but that’s partly why he’s available. This guys numbers are impressive.

Using the other second rounder to trade up in the future is in my opinion actually brilliant. Next years draft is super deep and we will now have two picks in the first round. Grabbing another Mid second rounder seems like a decent risk reward as well.

After that who knows but all of those moves seem strong to me. Overall I’m pretty happy given where we started.

33 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Detroit drafted Neelix.

I saw that and thought the same thing!

• Like 1

Draft was a group of good picks.

Feels like 2-3 years.  Fail to make us better when we needed it.  

Toronto is basically out of the woods with worrying about offer sheets because we bailed them out.

LV is our one other shot. SJ maybe 

Edited by gocanes0506

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

This!

Trying not to sharpen my pitchfork, as it’s not UFA season yet...but this draft and the lack of signings has me downright pinging!

Step back from the edge. Ain’t NONE of these kids made nuthin happen yet. 

10 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Fail to make us better when we needed it.  

There is no way to predict this. No ones picks with exception of a few high level will be playing In The next year or two. OMG the need for instant gratification is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Just now, cc said:

There is no way to predict this. No ones picks with exception of a few high level will be playing In The next year or two. OMG the need for instant gratification is ridiculous.

I guess ya missed the point.

The canes did not make this year‘s team better in this draft, But those kind of pics for player trades aren’t that common really. Especially for the very high-end guys.

We still need to make a move and go in a move for forward talent for this year. The fact that we did not do it at the draft does not mean we will not do it. As for the draft itself I’m very encouraged by how this was handled short of that. Committee is looking long-term, which  is really what the draft is about.

Now they need to go make the other moves.

• Like 1