The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2019 Draft

I'm pretty happy we took the chance on the big Russian goalie with a second round pick.  He's from Rayazan.  I've talked to a guy from there a couple of times.

We made a move AT the draft though, if that counts. B) And couldn't that first help us this year?  I can't imagine we are done dealing.  :popcorn:

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I'm pretty happy we took the chance on the big Russian goalie with a second round pick.

Lawton’s excitement over Kochetkov got me excited.

• Like 1

The NHL draft is similar to the MLB draft in that only a very few players make an immediate impact. About the only way to get NHL ready talent is to have a top 5 pick; and to get those picks, a team has to finish very low in the standings, or get very lucky in the lottery (Svech). If we are picking 25+ every year, it probably means we are in the playoffs every year. I'll take that!!!!! Remember Aho was a 2nd, Pesce a 3rd, Slavin and Eric Cole were 4th rounders.

1 minute ago, Canesfanforever said:

I give the canes a solid  B   for their performance at this years draft  ! 

This is very comforting thank you.

44 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

They get an A plus for picks.

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

What would improve your solid B?  I can't see much to improve on how the Canes handled their picks and draft positions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

What would improve your solid B?  I can't see much to improve on how the Canes handled their picks and draft positions.

If the canes  had not trade away  too many  picks  just to move up . We still had  Nils Hoglander on the board  and  a few others  that got taken ,  but over all it was a decent draft , the real steal of the draft  is in two guys ,   Suzuki and that russian goalie .   people are touting him as the 2nd best goalie in this years draft .   I LIKE THAT A LOT ! lol

If Suzuki and the Russian goalie make it to the Canes within 3+years that was a successful draft. Anyone else making it would put it out of the park. Think of Slavin and Pesce. There are definitely players who develop into solid or better NHL players below the second round and the remainder of this draft class could produce one or more of them

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

If the canes  had not trade away  too many  picks  just to move up . We still had  Nils Hoglander on the board  and  a few others  that got taken ,  but over all it was a decent draft , the real steal of the draft  is in two guys ,   Suzuki and that russian goalie .   people are touting him as the 2nd best goalie in this years draft .   I LIKE THAT A LOT ! lol

Well we started with 11 picks and made 12.  We traded nothing away to move up. The pick movement was trading down for extra picks.  I gave an A+ mainly due to our first three picks and then the magic in the later rounds moving down and still getting a the guy we wanted.  And we added another first rounder to get that elusive top-6 forward.  

• Like 1

From a different ESPN article by a different author than the above:  https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27032989/what-learned-2019-nhl-draft

OK, which team did the best overall this weekend?

Wyshynski: The Carolina Hurricanes. So smart. So shrewd. For a playoff team to have 12 draft picks is a heck of a thing. For a team with 12 picks to nail as many of them as the Hurricanes did -- especially Ryan Suzuki at No. 28 and Patrik Puistola all the way at No. 73 -- is exemplary. Then there's the trade: Essentially paying $6.5 million for Toronto's first-round pick in 2020 (unless it's in the lottery, and then it's 2021) and, if they can convince him to play in Raleigh, Patrick Marleau. (But don't count on it.) I'm really excited to see what the Hurricanes do in the summer, starting with what one source said is their priority: a goaltender.

Edited by LakeLivin

Okay, this is getting more interesting... First, you pick Svech to get me out of mind with this pick and make me proud of the guy... Now you pick my hometown goalie! I've been watching him sweat his *ss off to get us to playoffs all last year! And now he's wearing that red jersey! I knew the kid would have great success outside that rubbish VHL... As soon as we got to know about Petr being eligible for this year's draft, my wife told me: "Would be nice if Canes pick him, that would be awesome and seems right to me as he's a great goaltender and you love your Jerks so much... That would be some magical pick to create more connection between us and Canes". She told me last week that our Canes need a goalie and Knight wouldn't be available... Oh, your were so right, my dear. Petr, you have to be a Hurricane, screw your SKA! That guy is so athletic and quick! Fans loved him and he enjoyed it and answered back. Very likable and nice kid. KHL would hate to give him up... Hopefully, he is coming from Russia Ryazan with love to Raleigh!

• Like 10

18 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I'm pretty happy we took the chance on the big Russian goalie with a second round pick.  He's from Rayazan.  I've talked to a guy from there a couple of times.

We made a move AT the draft though, if that counts. B) And couldn't that first help us this year?  I can't imagine we are done dealing.  :popcorn:

Hey, Coastal! You know someone from Ryazan besides me? Or do you mean me? 😁

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RyazanCaniac said:

Okay, this is getting more interesting... First, you pick Svech to get me out of mind with this pick and make me proud of the guy... Now you pick my hometown goalie! I've been watching him sweat his *ss off to get us to playoffs all last year! And now he's wearing that red jersey! I knew the kid would have great success outside that rubbish VHL... As soon as we got to know about Petr being eligible for this year's draft, my wife told me: "Would be nice if Canes pick him, that would be awesome and seems right to me as he's a great goaltender and you love your Jerks so much... That would be some magical pick to create more connection between us and Canes". She told me last week that our Canes need a goalie and Knight wouldn't be available... Oh, your were so right, my dear. Petr, you have to be a Hurricane, screw your SKA! That guy is so athletic and quick! Fans loved him and he enjoyed it and answered back. Very likable and nice kid. KHL would hate to give him up... Hopefully, he is coming from Russia Ryazan with love to Raleigh!

Decent size (6'3") plus quickness and athleticism?  Sounds like exactly what we've been missing!  Here's hoping he progresses quickly.  Thanks for the first hand

scouting report Ryazan.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Might be one of the team's best drafts ever.  Well done DW and committee.

Everything I've read gives the Canes high praise on this draft

My first impression was that we nailed this draft, but now that I've had a bit of time to read up on the players we picked and contemplate the moves made, I am even more sure we nailed this draft. Just like the coach of the year almost always goes to a guy who made more of his team than the pieces looked like, one has to rate a draft on how the we played the cards we were dealt. We played them nearly flawlessly. 

Of course, as with any pick not name Jack Hughes or Conner McDavid, time will be the final judge, but then I don't want to wait 10 years to post this.

I always want to move up. But that has become extremely hard to do. Those elite top 10 or so picks have just become so valuable that teams will really only trade them for a massive 'overpay', and usually not even then. Every year a few GM's in the top slots dangle their pick hoping some GM will swim buy and empty the bank. But it almost never happens. Trading up now, is typically paying a relative lot to move up a few spots to try to nab your guy before team X does. So, holding out for that draft where we turn prospects and lower picks into an elite level pick is just not a realistic way to judge a draft where we are picking so low in the first. 

If you can't trade way up, the next best thing, is to catch a guy falling down. Or to find value that others missed. We sure seemed to have done that. Even more than I thought as I read about some of our mid round picks. 

17 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Well we started with 11 picks and made 12.  We traded nothing away to move up. The pick movement was trading down for extra picks.  I gave an A+ mainly due to our first three picks and then the magic in the later rounds moving down and still getting a the guy we wanted.  And we added another first rounder to get that elusive top-6 forward.  

Pretty well balanced thinking as well, 4 centers,4 RW, 3 D men and one goalie. I'm really excited to see what happens with the goalie. Bravo committee !!

The top half moves and my grade of them.

1. Ryan Suzuki. A+. We need skill, and especially playmakers, and more especially power play makers. This much playmaking skill does not usually fall this far. Every GM says "we had our guy rated higher". But Waddell said we had this guy ranked #15. I don't think he'd lie so specifically. All the other scouts and everyone he works with would know he just flat out lied. We had this guy ranked #15. Further a lot of prospect rankings had him even higher mid year, as highs as just out of the top 10. He dropped. In part because he was felt to be too peripheral of a player and seemed to lose focus at times. 

But part of it too was that he was injured for the World Juniors. So while other guys were able to raise their stock, he wasn't, but worse, he also missed a big stage to show he had corrected the concerns. His coach and our scouts think he's already addressed a lot of these concerns, but we are now a team with a system that is perfect to learn him the right way. His chance of making the team is effectively zero. So first, he will go back to Juniors and get to work on things with our guys right on him. Then, he will almost certainly end up in Charlotte, where like Gauthier, he will get ice time as he shows he gets how to play.

By the time he hits the NHL he'll be ready. And we'll be needing him. Just an aside, watching a few YouTube videos, this guy makes those cross seamed, cross royal road passes that are becoming key in the NHL, as well as anyone. And he can dangle, hit the top corner, and other skill things.

2. Pytor Kotchetkov. A +. When you look at the numbers of goalies not named Knight, this guy's jump off the page. At 19 he will be playing for a top KHL team. The KHL is widely hailed as the next best league to the NHL. 6'3", athletic, and positionally smooth and sound. Some have said he compares to Knight and could be as good or better in the NHL. If he weren't playing in Russia, he'd probably have gone in the first round too. This may be the best goalie prospect this organization has ever drafted. And this has been a massive problem for this organization. His upside is franchise player. Really, in many ways could outshine our first rounder.

3. Buying Toronto's first rounder: A. I thought initially that we had given up our second high second rounder in this deal. Even at that point I liked it, because clearly we were unsure what to do with that pick once Kotchetkov was in the fold. But no, we just straight up bought their first rounder for next year, touted to be one of the deepest drafts ever. It's hard for fans to look that far ahead, since most guys taken next year won't hit the NHL until 2023 or later, and not peak even later, but as this organization keeps piling up picks and then drafting well? Good things. 

All of these years of trying to figure out how to trade up? This is how. These days this is really the only way to do it. Get the future picks for later years. GM's give those away. But once the draft starts, good luck prying that same pick from them. 

4. Trading down. A. OK, I don't like trading down in general. But in this case, the more I read about Rees and Puistola, the better. It was a gamble that these guys would be there, but in the end, I like to think they got those guys they would have taken anyways and got to take a runner at Cade Webber as a freebie. This A really goes to Rees and Puistoloa. Kind of like Montreal last year who said, "we need centers" and just loaded up on centers, we have loaded up on skilled playmaking forwards, both in round 1 and lower. 

5. Other lower picks: other than getting needed playmakers in Rees and Puistola and a run at an offensive D man and a lumbering huge D man, it's hard to grade the lower picks. Just too hard to really know them. Interestingly we have two D men headed to my old stomping grounds Boston University. 

This team has been drafting noticeably well for the past several years. I like our chances to turn a couple of those lower picks into nice players. But even if we don't, we will grow Suzuki into an NHL playmaker and got a potential franchise goalie, as well as picking up another first rounder in the future. Just stopping at that makes this an A draft IMO.

The one thing I haven’t seen an explanation for is why Puistola fell so far. Pre-draft, from what I read, this guy was supposed to go anywhere from late first round to early second round.

Did this guy tear his ACL and MCL while biting his coach?

😬

Like you, Rem, I was not so happy about trading down when players like Hoglander and Lavoie were still around. But the more I thought about it, it started to make sense. We have a boatload of top prospects in Charlotte, who will compete for jobs starting next season, and others like Luostarinen, Drury, Martin, and Filipe not far behind. I'm sure there may be others. Jesper Sellgren is a good example of that. He really impressed in the Checkers' run, but wasn't even on our radar. A number of these drafted folks are likely 2-3 years out and with 2 first rounders next year, the cupboard will be full for years to come. A nice problem to have. We are just plain prospect rich. The balancing act will be giving these outstanding prospects a legitimate opportunity to crack the line-up.The plan started under Ron Francis, and continued by Don Waddell, to build from within is forming quite nicely. And, the deal to grab a first rounder in the Patrick Marleau trade was yet another strong statement for the good work that Don W. has been doing. The only fly in the ointment for me was the announcement that Tony MacDonald and Bert Marshall are retiring from our scouting staff. I, for one, have always appreciated Tony's contributions.

Edited by CanesTR
  • Like 1

Source: Sporting news:

Carolina Hurricanes

Much like the Flames, the Canes are coming off a successful season in which their homegrown youth played a prominent role in the team's march to the playoffs. Carolina is oozing high-end skill throughout the organization, and they came to Vancouver armed with multiple high-round picks. Drafting center Ryan Suzuki with the 28th pick was a steal, but the subsequent selections of speedster Jamieson Rees (44th) and Patrik Puistola (73rd) were just the beginning of a string of home-run swings on excitable prospects. They got first-round quality in Finnish power-play quarterback Anttoni Honka (83rd), while NTDP defender Domenick Fensore (90th) put up nearly as many points in the second half as heralded teammate Cam York. The hits continued into the later rounds, as the Canes snatched up a fair number of high-upside prospects in the fourth round in mammoth defenseman Cade Webber (99th) and excitable playmaker Tuukka Tieksola (121st). Double-overage winger Kirill Slepts (152nd), who was ranked fourth in my overage rankings, clearly is one of the most NHL-ready prospects out of any draft holdovers.

Carolina also took several upper cuts in rounds six and seven, beginning with goal-scorer Kevin Wall (181st) and ending with two centers - hard-shooting Blake Murray (183rd) and slick stickhandler Massimo Rizzo (216). Yes, the Canes had a dozen picks, so the law of averages is on their side. But the attention paid towards puck skills, speed and point-producing potential keeps their already-impressive prospect pool among the best in the league. Grade: A

On 6/23/2019 at 11:47 AM, RyazanCaniac said:

Hopefully, he is coming from Russia Ryazan with love to Raleigh!

Guess you're gonna have to break down and move here :)