Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2019 Draft

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I kind of want to bookmark this  quote  so we can look back on it  and see who was right  or wrong  in the future .  The  problem with your assessment is that it would take years to develop  certain talents  and that the canes would be impacted  by  "  waiting till they got better "   sort of deal .   Then why was it last year  at the draft the canes made a trade with Calgary  to not only pick up Hamilton  but also  Fox  ?    In my eyes it was in Waddles hopes to replace  " Certain " people to improve upon ,  HELL  half of the people if not majority  here were all about that  when the canes traded Hanifin  for Hamilton .  Was that  a bad deal in your eyes ?   if not then how does this not apply in the same vain ?  im not for one on  not selecting no defense this  year  like some of you .  My position has always been clear  on these forums  .  Draft the best player available ,  All im saying is if  the best player Available so happened to be a defense man then you draft them !  You never  address team needs in a draft  unless they co inside with each other than consider yourself lucky  . Team needs can be addressed  later   via trade or free agency .    

 

At the time we traded for Fox he was 20 years old and had played 2 years of college hockey.  Most draft picks are 17 or 18 yo with their only experience playing against kids.   I don't think you picked a great analogy to try to make your point . . .

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DevildogKodi said:

t is kind of hard to give much weight to your comments when you can't even spell our GM's name, it's Waddell. If this was an attempt at humor, it was definitely lost on me.

Although I admittedly am OCD, or try to be, about my posts, there are some posts on here where spelling and syntax in general are lost arts it would appear? Be that as it may, apparently in a post I've been forewarned that my comment on drafting a Dman "should be bookmarked". Fine, do just that but I am completely unsure how the issue will be adjudicated down the road? IMMHO, EVERY PICK past a very limited number (good years maybe the 1st 5 but bad years no more than 2) is a real crap shoot. If that be true, than how does one go back and say our eventual choice was "bad" vs some nebulous choice that the opposite side on this discussion could pull out of the air for convenience sake.

 

And for the record further on this particular issue, I never suggested that the D be ignored if there is a sure fire, can't miss #1 D (which I find highly unlikely) sitting at #28? My obviously missed, ignored or completely misunderstood point was that in consideration of the massive move up in rankings that this team made in this 18-19 season, WHY in God's green earth would you take a Dman when all save for one person thought our defense was our strength, and further, unless there's a Rasmus Dahlin who could possibly step in now (yeah that worked out well for Sabres), would you use a pick that might be contributing in the 21-22 season? And while I still agree to BPA concept, as pointed out above, if the D being considered= the forward, than I would hope Waddell and committee goes the forward route.

 

I also recall that I was asked by Cff whom I would take if not a Dman, and I could not possibly know how this draft will play out at our very low spot, but upon reflection, I might give considerable thought to John Beecher if he were available there at #28-29?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the canes could trade up to pick up Kirby Dach , or Spencer knight , that would bode well for the canes .  At least we would get something maybe of value if the plan is to forgo any defense men .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cff, perhaps you still misunderstood my post? I did not state we should "forgo ANY defense men", only that our highest choice should weigh more heavily on the side of the offense. I've got absolutely no clue about either of the 2 you mention, and don't have the time to invest to educate myself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Cff, perhaps you still misunderstood my post? I did not state we should "forgo ANY defense men", only that our highest choice should weigh more heavily on the side of the offense. I've got absolutely no clue about either of the 2 you mention, and don't have the time to invest to educate myself?

Kirby Dach is a Forward , plays center , is 6'4  198 pounds  shoot right ,  plays for Saskatoon Blades  in the WHL  , He had 62 games   25 goals  , 48 Assist , 40 pim , 

and in the playoffs he had 10 games  5 goals  3 assist  6 pim .  and is projected to be a top 10 pick  .   He would be tough as hell to play against and works hard in his battles on ice .   Someone Brindy would fall in love with !   great combination of size, strength and puck skills … ‘offence first’ mentality … soft hands… good puck pursuit … quick stick … finds availa, ISS Hockey 2017 

 

Spencer knight is a Goalie that played for team usa in the  U18  iihf  , he is listed as  6'3  198 pounds  that posted in 6 games   a 1.51  gaa  and  a .936  

he is projected to go  anywhere from 14th to 35th . NHL central scouting has him number  1 among goalies this year . solid butterfly goaltender … keeps his movements tight … explosive from side to side … plays with calmness … comminucates well … eats up reb, ISS Hockey 2017

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

and is projected to be a top 10 pic

I see your desire for Dach (and Spencer Knight for that matter), but why focus your's and our attention on a pick we could not attain unless we'd move up to get him, although that for sure is a possibility? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I see your desire for Dach (and Spencer Knight for that matter), but why focus your's and our attention on a pick we could not attain unless we'd move up to get him, although that for sure is a possibility? 

I watched a ton of  nhl network this year and when they covered the iihf i payed very close attention to  Knight  and was very pleased with what he did for team usa .  And for a big kid like  Knight in net for the canes in the future that could turn out to be a real winner for the club .  He could slide to the Canes depending on  this years draft or he might get  taken  by a team early that needs a goalie .  

 

As for Dach   ,  I see him as a big kid with tons of potential to be  a wrecking ball with a flare of some offensive skill sets  that could potentially replace Staal in the future  .  If the Canes are not going after him you can bet Yzerman will ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A big goalie early may be the ticket, but we've just been recently burned by a big goalie. I suppose part of that decision will unfold by which direction we head with decisions on these 2 presently unsigned goalies? Never can have too many goalie prospects though it seems?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

A big goalie early may be the ticket, but we've just been recently burned by a big goalie. I suppose part of that decision will unfold by which direction we head with decisions on these 2 presently unsigned goalies? Never can have too many goalie prospects though it seems?

Aye .   But Knight if he were to slide down to the canes , The Canes would be mighty stupid to pass on him  just for some random forward  .   How ever on defense this year .  There are tons of guys  ,  Too many to list actually   , It would take up all my time just to post  but are a few I would like to put up in here  when I find the time to do so .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG I didnt even see this  ,  So  Ryan Suzuki  is up for grabs this year .  in case you are wondering he played with Svechnikov last year with the Barrie Colts ,  I was under the impression he got drafted  but it was his brother Nick Suzuki that got picked instead of Ryan .   I was under the impression There was only 1  Suzuki  and not 2 lol  

 

He is a forward in case people are wondering . 

 

here are the low downs  on him  

 

6'0  176 pounds  17  years old  

shoots left  plays center 

projected anywhere to go from 12th to 26th 

 

he scored in 65 games   25 goals 50 assist   14 pim 

 

the read out on him 

Suzuki is one of the smartest OHL prospects we have seen in years. He is a good skater, excellent passer and is very good at putting himself in scoring positions, where he rarely fails to capitalize. He does not play overly physical, but is very good at avoiding contact while doing so. He has excellent hands and all around vision. The top player in the Alliance Loop this season, his name was the very first called in April's OHL Draft. (Tyler Parchem, EP 2017)

 

from what i saw highlights of Svechnikov last year he played quite a bit with Ryan  and they showed some chemistry .

Edited by Canesfanforever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

OMG I didnt even see this  ,  So  Ryan Suzuki  is up for grabs this year .  in case you are wondering he played with Svechnikov last year with the Barrie Colts ,  I was under the impression he got drafted  but it was his brother Nick Suzuki that got picked instead of Ryan .   I was under the impression There was only 1  Suzuki  and not 2 lol  

 

He is a forward in case people are wondering . 

 

here are the low downs  on him  

 

6'0  176 pounds  17  years old  

shoots left  plays center 

projected anywhere to go from 12th to 26th 

 

he scored in 65 games   25 goals 50 assist   14 pim 

 

the read out on him 

Suzuki is one of the smartest OHL prospects we have seen in years. He is a good skater, excellent passer and is very good at putting himself in scoring positions, where he rarely fails to capitalize. He does not play overly physical, but is very good at avoiding contact while doing so. He has excellent hands and all around vision. The top player in the Alliance Loop this season, his name was the very first called in April's OHL Draft. (Tyler Parchem, EP 2017)

Suzuki will be gone before we get there.

 

We need to trade picks to get make roster player deals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree that we should use picks to bolster a trade and get an NHL ready goalie or a proven scorer. If that trades not out there, using our second or third  2nd round picks to move up and grab Sinclair would seem a reasonable move to me.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Suzuki will be gone before we get there.

 

We need to trade picks to get make roster player deals. 

Are we possibly looking at a prospect or someone who is an RFA ?  Colorado has Rantinen  as a RFA  I wonder what the offer sheet would be on him !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t even want to think about us offer sheeting anyone as it would involve giving up too much.  However, I wouldn’t be too surprised if a team weaponizes the offer sheet against a cap strapped team to get them to divest one of their high prospects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

I don’t even want to think about us offer sheeting anyone as it would involve giving up too much.  However, I wouldn’t be too surprised if a team weaponizes the offer sheet against a cap strapped team to get them to divest one of their high prospects.

so Marner then ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

so Marner then ?

More like Kapanen.  We can offer a 3 to 4 x 4.225 deal and really put Toronto in a pickle.  That is only a 2nd round pick compensation.  

 

Basically take our deal or we really hurt you / get him for a 2nd round pick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Toronto has to I'd imagine giving away Kadri would be an easy trade. 40-50 points a year at 4.5 mil, not the worst contract in the world. Especially if they can retain Kapanen for doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, legend-1 said:

If Toronto has to I'd imagine giving away Kadri would be an easy trade. 40-50 points a year at 4.5 mil, not the worst contract in the world. Especially if they can retain Kapanen for doing it.

Im not so sure about Kadri .  Sure he put up points  but  he takes stupid penalties and that is not what the Canes need .   Kapanen  would seem like the better option but that would be  either via trade or  offer sheet come july 1st .    It's  unlikely  the Canes will get him though . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Im so sure about Kadri .  Sure he put up points  but  he takes stupid penalties and that is not what the Canes need .   Kapanen  would seem like the better option but that would be  either via trade or  offer sheet come july 1st .    It's  unlikely  the Canes will get him though . 

I didn't mean for us, I meant Toronto would purge Kadri to anyone to match GoCanes offer sheet. Someone would take Kadri's 40-50 points if he were free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With St Louis winning the WCF, it looks like we’re locked in at 28th pick 

 

GO BLUES...SWEEP THE B’S

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

With St Louis winning the WCF, it looks like we’re locked in at 28th pick 

 

GO BLUES...SWEEP THE B’S

If im not mistaken  the blues had more points than the canes also  if the sharks had won the series  still placing the Canes in the 28th position . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Canesfanforever said:

If im not mistaken  the blues had more points than the canes also  if the sharks had won the series  still placing the Canes in the 28th position . 

Same points...we had more ROW, so we would’ve had #29 had the Sharkiez won 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Well, I don’t know for sure, but I assume so 


I think that's true, I think the rules say that the same tiebreaker rules apply to the draft order, so we moved up one spot with all of our own picks. :banana:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...