The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2019 Draft

NBCSN  had this guy for the Canes  

28. Carolina Hurricanes

Nils Hoglander (left wing, Rogle BK)

The 5-foot-9 Hoglander is a feisty, skilled winger who plays with pace and tenacity. While the size isn’t ideal for a left wing-type player, there is a growing number of these fast, skilled wingers who don’t shy away from contact despite the lack of prototypical size. Hoglander makes a lot of sense for a Hurricanes team that can still use more high-end skill, speed and tenacity among its forward group after a surprising run to the conference final.

32 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

With a nickname like Hog, seems like a match made in heaven.

No kidding lol .

30 minutes ago, remkin said:

Kid looks like he has serious skill and quick hands. 

He is listed at  5'9    , but if the trend in the nhl is smaller faster skilled  guys instead of big  rig  guys  that can push their weight  around  then maybe he has what it takes .  I do want to see how his play is away from the puck and see  how much development  is needed there . 

Here is his stats   5'9     185  pounds  18 years old  , dec  20th   2000  shoots left plays left wing 

last year  with Rogle  BK   in the SHL 

50 games  7 goals   7 assists  22 pim 

playoffs he had 2 games  but no stats . im not sure   if there is any more  listing for that . 

in the 2018 u18  for sweden  he had 7 games  but no stats  either  other than 2 pim . 

in the 2019 u18  for sweden  he had  8 games  4 goals  and 3 assists  4pim   with +/-  2 

All from the NHL network  list of players are from  31 to 22  that the canes could pick up in the 1st round . 

31. Jakob   Pelletier   LW 

5'9 weight 160  shoots left 

season 65 games  ,  39 goals  , 50 assists  , plays for Moncton   QMJHL 

Edited by Canesfanforever

29.  Ego Afanasyev LW 

6'4  lbs 201  shoots left 

season  58 games  27 goals  35 assists  plays for Muskegon  USHL ( Andrei Svechnikov played for them the year before he went to Barrie  )

25.  Philp Tomasino  C 

6'0   lbs  179  shoots right 

season 67 games   34 goals  38 assists  plays for Niagara  OHL 

22. Ryan Suzuki  C

6'0  lbs 176  shoots left 

65 games  25 goals  50 assists  plays for Barrie  OHL  ( Andrei Svechnikovs  ohl team from last year , they played with each other and had chemistry   ! )

On 5/26/2019 at 12:53 PM, Canesfanforever said:

NBCSN  had this guy for the Canes  

28. Carolina Hurricanes

Nils Hoglander (left wing, Rogle BK)

The 5-foot-9 Hoglander is a feisty, skilled winger who plays with pace and tenacity. While the size isn’t ideal for a left wing-type player, there is a growing number of these fast, skilled wingers who don’t shy away from contact despite the lack of prototypical size. Hoglander makes a lot of sense for a Hurricanes team that can still use more high-end skill, speed and tenacity among its forward group after a surprising run to the conference final.

might not get a great player at 28 but it good seeing the team DRAFT that high the hurricanes are on the right track       GO CHECKERS 

It would make sense for the Canes to try and move up in the draft if a player they really want was still around after the first 10 picks or so, using their pick, #28, plus moving Fleury, who may be a contractual problem, to get the deal done.

36 minutes ago, beboplar said:

It would make sense for the Canes to try and move up in the draft if a player they really want was still around after the first 10 picks or so, using their pick, #28, plus moving Fleury, who may be a contractual problem, to get the deal done.

I don't know about Fleury's contract, but the idea of using Fleury to move up is interesting. I always want to move up.  But we never do. Every year I bust out our own guy, Tulsky's chart on the theoretical cost of moving up (how far and at what price) https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up.

But big moves up or down rarely happen at all, and never by us. (Moves up a spot or a few are what usually actually happens). 

Thing is, moving up a couple of spots, Fleury would IMO be an overpay for that. But maybe Fleury plus an early second rounder? 

Well our top second rounder is #36, but #37 is worth essentially the same which is 10 points on Tulksy's graph. That should move our first rounder up to #17 from 28. If we threw in our own second rounder (#59) that should move us to #14. 

But how many Tulsky points would Fleury be worth? I don't know. Where would you expect to draft a guy who might end up being a solid mid pair D man? Add some points in that he's ready now and D men take 3-4 years to get ready. So Fleury plus say the #37 pick? Fleury has to be worth more than a bottom half draft pick. So let's just arbitrarily put him at 27 points (the value of the #16 pick). Fleury and the 37 pick would add 37 points to the 15.5 points of our #27 pick: 52.5 points = the #4 or #5 pick. 

Now, it's way harder to actually make that trade because teams picking in the top 5 grow to love guys they are looking at, and trading down just is not sexy to the fan base. So it almost never happens, and this, like the offer sheet thing is all fantasy really. But if we could move Fleury, and our second second round pick to move up from 27 to #4 (or 5)? Where do I sign?

Then let us put these incredibly rare moves together:

1. Trade two of our seconds (keep the top one), and Fleury for the #4 pick. 

2. Offer sheet Point or Marner. Let's say Point. And to go further, let's just say we go all in and lose the 4 first rounders.

We just got to pick #4 overall. We are getting another stud who will be ready to rock about when we need to move a Staal or Nino or someone out. Add that stud to our already deep farm system and we won't have to draft a first rounder for a while.

And what a team we'd have moving forward. We'd be Tampa North. (Maybe not the best analogy with their choke this year, but you know what I mean).

We'd have: Aho, Teravanen, Svech, Point, Necas, #4 draft pick, as our top 6 for years to come. Staal, Nino for at least two. Maybe J Williams for one or two,  Foegele, and Marinook providing grit and more scoring than expected, sprinkle in guys from the pipe line. We already have a deep young D core and Bean in the wings. 

Yup, there it is. Dynasty in two simple* moves.

*except they are two moves never happen. Other than that, though...

13 minutes ago, remkin said:

I don't know about Fleury's contract, but the idea of using Fleury to move up is interesting. I always want to move up.  But we never do. Every year I bust out our own guy, Tulsky's chart on the theoretical cost of moving up (how far and at what price) https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up.

But big moves up or down rarely happen at all, and never by us. (Moves up a spot or a few are what usually actually happens). 

Thing is, moving up a couple of spots, Fleury would IMO be an overpay for that. But maybe Fleury plus an early second rounder? 

Well our top second rounder is #36, but #37 is worth essentially the same which is 10 points on Tulksy's graph. That should move our first rounder up to #17 from 28. If we threw in our own second rounder (#59) that should move us to #14. 

But how many Tulsky points would Fleury be worth? I don't know. Where would you expect to draft a guy who might end up being a solid mid pair D man? Add some points in that he's ready now and D men take 3-4 years to get ready. So Fleury plus say the #37 pick? Fleury has to be worth more than a bottom half draft pick. So let's just arbitrarily put him at 27 points (the value of the #16 pick). Fleury and the 37 pick would add 37 points to the 15.5 points of our #27 pick: 52.5 points = the #4 or #5 pick. 

Now, it's way harder to actually make that trade because teams picking in the top 5 grow to love guys they are looking at, and trading down just is not sexy to the fan base. So it almost never happens, and this, like the offer sheet thing is all fantasy really. But if we could move Fleury, and our second second round pick to move up from 27 to #4 (or 5)? Where do I sign?

What value does moving from 28 to 17 do for us?  Ryan Suzuki really worth our first, Fleury, and a 2nd?

the draft isn’t good enough imo to warrant moving up for.  The draft isn’t deep with big talent which means the guys at the middle of the pack aren’t going to be substantial.

use the picks to get roster players or draft players.

Edited by gocanes0506

19 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

What value does moving from 28 to 17 do for us?  Ryan Suzuki really worth our first, Fleury, and a 2nd?

the draft isn’t good enough imo to warrant moving up for.  The draft isn’t deep with big talent which means the guys at the middle of the pack aren’t going to be substantial.

I really don't know diddly squat about this draft. But you got the math wrong. Fleury plus our second second should move us to #4, not 17, and even not knowing the draft that should get us some serious talent.

And moving to 17 for one of two twin seconds usually would matter. Again though, I don't know this draft after the first two players. Taking this year off. 

In 2017: #4 Kale Makar (soon to be superstar), #17 Timothy Liljegren (top prospect), #27: Morgan Frost (cool name).

2018: #4 Brady Tkachuk (star), #17 Ty Smith ppg last two AHL seasons, #27 Nicolas Beaudin (still in juniors this past year).

It doesn't hold up every year, but the higher the pick, the better the odds. 

That said, I agree that moving up to #17 is less impressive, which is why I throw in Fleury to get higher. Also, it all depends on the scouts seeing a guy worth moving up for. In 2016 the #17 pick was Kyle Conner and the #16 pick Mathew Barzal. (The #27 pick was Jacob Larsson). 

And again, this is for entertainment purposes only because in practice GM's drafting at #4 or #5 are not looking to trade way down even for a solid D man and two lower picks. Just using historical trades that have been made to determine a theoretical value. Not going to actually happen.

The Hockey Guy put out a video on  a  " Mock "  draft  listing of players and teams from different sports sites listing who could end up where  . Here is the video 

Under Carolina it list  Ryan Suzuki ,  Nils  Hoglander and  last Connor McMichael  , So what do you guys think ? 

Fleury was drafted 4 years ago with an extremely high pick and has yet to make an impact on the Canes. When forced to sub him in for TVR in the playoffs , Rod played him 3 or 4 minutes a game. I don’t think his trade value is very high, and I’ not sure Fleury and a second could even move us up to 17. Someone may want him and we have a load of early draft picks this year. I’d rather make a trade for a proven goal scorer who can help us now than package players and picks just to move up in the draft.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Fleury was drafted 4 years ago with an extremely high pick and has yet to make an impact on the Canes. When forced to sub him in for TVR in the playoffs , Rod played him 3 or 4 minutes a game. I don’t think his trade value is very high, and I’ not sure Fleury and a second could even move us up to 17. Someone may want him and we have a load of early draft picks this year. I’d rather make a trade for a proven goal scorer who can help us now than package players and picks just to move up in the draft.

Saying that Fleury only played 3 or 4 minutes a game in the playoffs is pretty misleading.  He averaged basically double that, 7:42 over the 9 games he played in.  For most of those he got between 6:30 and 8:30 of ice time (low was a 3:31 game 3 against the Bruins and high was a 15:37 game 2 against the Bs).

That's still not a lot of ice time, and I'm not saying that should change your conclusions.  But just 3-4 minutes a game would be a pretty disparaging statistic.

11 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Fleury was the 7th pick in the 1st round his draft year.  At the time, much was said about development time for defensemen, and the Canes have patiently invested that time to develop a player that most teams in the league would welcome on at least their 3rd defensive pairing.  It is my understanding that his contract status does not allow him to easily move back and forth between Carolina and Charlotte anymore.  If that is true, and with the current makeup of the team's blueline and Bean and McKeown around, moving Fleury's contract for something of value is a smart move.  I think Fleury is ready to contribute regularly at the NHL level, just not for the Canes.  My thought is that packaging him with their own 1st round (#28) pick may get a return as high as pick #11 in the 1st round, or thereabouts.  Surely the Canes have their eyes on a handful of players that may be available at 11 versus 28.  I am not referring to Suzuki, as he is a smaller player and I think the team needs to build on more physical forwards.  We'll see what happens on June 21, but don't be surprised to see Fleury moved.