The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2019 Draft

8 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

According to this https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/key-offseason-dates-for-hurricanes/c-307594846 Canes will not hold draft party this year

Thank you for clarifying that Bonivan. Although disappointing, potentially drafting that far down (I say potentially as they might trade up, hint hint), it would make for a very long night. And as Ms Kjun just noted, last year's was a fiasco and probably need to take a year off to regroup? Oh well, can't wait for this coming Friday.

On another note, am I the only one who's disappointed that Aho is not resigned? Seems that if so, Waddell would have a much clearer idea of what he could do in trade scenarios, a "lynchpin" of sorts. That and Williams' decision seem to me to hold the key to any and all moves?

4 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Thank you for clarifying that Bonivan. Although disappointing, potentially drafting that far down (I say potentially as they might trade up, hint hint), it would make for a very long night. And as Ms Kjun just noted, last year's was a fiasco and probably need to take a year off to regroup? Oh well, can't wait for this coming Friday.

On another note, am I the only one who's disappointed that Aho is not resigned? Seems that if so, Waddell would have a much clearer idea of what he could do in trade scenarios, a "lynchpin" of sorts. That and Williams' decision seem to me to hold the key to any and all moves?

Maybe both Aho and Waddell waiting if they can ask/go for a hometown discount if Canes acquire some othe big guns.

5 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Every year there is big talk of offer sheets and nothing happens. But this year we really mean it! Safe bet is still probably none, but this year might be the most likely in a long while and TD seems to be just the guy to do it since he's not part of the good old boy network to say the least. Anyways, if we are going to go offer-sheeting, we need Aho locked up so we don't get one done to us. Heck, even if we don't do one we could get one.

6 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

For me, given our limitations as a small market team, I don't mind some negotiating as long as it doesn't start to get contentious. I think about where we'd be if we had just given Ferland what he was asking for several months ago (which several on here wanted to do).  On the other hand, I suspect we could have re-signed Aho last summer or fall for way less than what we'll end up paying paying him no matter how hard we negotiate now, so I guess it cuts both ways.

Edited by LakeLivin

33 minutes ago, remkin said:

Every year there is big talk of offer sheets and nothing happens. But this year we really mean it! Safe bet is still probably none, but this year might be the most likely in a long while and TD seems to be just the guy to do it since he's not part of the good old boy network to say the least. Anyways, if we are going to go offer-sheeting, we need Aho locked up so we don't get one done to us. Heck, even if we don't do one we could get one.

I could see a retaliatory OS if we do it.  But I suspect that given the Canes cap space we'd be less susceptible to one directed at Aho given that teams must know we could and would match anything that isn't completely ridiculous.  Seems like an OS would be most likely directed at a team with cap issues.  Still, you've got a good point, probably best to lock him up before that possibility kicks in.

4 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I could see a retaliatory OS if we do it.  But I suspect that given the Canes cap space we'd be less susceptible to one directed at Aho given that teams must know we could and would match anything that isn't completely ridiculous.  Seems like an OS would be most likely directed at a team with cap issues.  Still, you've got a good point, probably best to lock him up before that possibility kicks in.

The other day on XM one of the commentators listed Aho as an offer sheet target. The others kind of jumped him saying no, and I did to (to my radio), but a team could retaliate just to make us match.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

The other day on XM one of the commentators listed Aho as an offer sheet target. The others kind of jumped him saying no, and I did to (to my radio), but a team could retaliate just to make us match.

However, if offer sheeted, and he accepted, at least doesn't that then set where negotiations would start for Waddell? And as a corollary, aren't we the only team who can give an extra year, so would lock up the player for one additional year at that rate?

Or how exactly does that work?

Edited by KJUNKANE

5 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

However, if offer sheeted, and he accepted, at least doesn't that then set where negotiations would start for Waddell? And as a corollary, aren't we the only team who can give an extra year, so would lock up the player for one additional year at that rate?

Or how exactly does that work?

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that if a player accepts an offer sheet that actually sets the terms.  The original team either matches the offer and retains the player or he goes to the offering team.  

Yes, current teams can re-sign a player for 8 years, new teams only 7.  But unless a team is offering more than $10.57m per year, an offer sheet is almost certainly going to be 5 years or less.  That's because the AAV that determines compensation to the original team is calculated using the actual number of years offered or 5 as the denominator, whichever is smaller.  An accepted offer of $10.5m for 5 years would cost a team  two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.  An accepted offer of $7.6m for 7 years would cost a team four 1sts.  

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that if a player accepts an offer sheet that actually sets the terms.  The original team either matches the offer and retains the player or he goes to the offering team.  

Yes, current teams can re-sign a player for 8 years, new teams only 7.  But unless a team is offering more than $10.57m per year, an offer sheet is almost certainly going to be 5 years or less.  That's because the AAV that determines compensation to the original team is calculated using the actual number of years offered or 5 as the denominator, whichever is smaller.  An accepted offer of $10.5m for 5 years would cost a team  two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.  An accepted offer of $7.6m for 7 years would cost a team four 1sts.  

Yes this is it Lake.  If Aho accepts a 10.5 x 5 with team B then the Canes match the offer or take the picks. Negotiations aren’t had.

On 6/15/2019 at 11:35 PM, gocanes0506 said:

Yes this is it Lake.  If Aho accepts a 10.5 x 5 with team B then the Canes match the offer or take the picks. Negotiations aren’t had.

just saw this gocanes, thanks. One question I have is, if team B offers that And we match, does that obligate the player to his matching team, or could he go ahead and take team B's offer? I guess in that case, the compensatory picks remain even though we matched?

Also, a team such as the Canes with a lot of Cap space doesn't appear to be as vulnerable as some, but I guess that an offer sheet, although it does set terms, so in that sense could be good, however they might not be the ideal terms right. For instance, in Aho's case where team B might offer $10.5 mil X 5 years, Waddell might have been ready to offer $9.5 X 8 years? As you say "negotiations aren't had". Am I looking at that right?

3 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

just saw this gocanes, thanks. One question I have is, if team B offers that And we match, does that obligate the player to his matching team, or could he go ahead and take team B's offer? I guess in that case, the compensatory picks remain even though we matched?

Also, a team such as the Canes with a lot of Cap space doesn't appear to be as vulnerable as some, but I guess that an offer sheet, although it does set terms, so in that sense could be good, however they might not be the ideal terms right. For instance, in Aho's case where team B might offer $10.5 mil X 5 years, Waddell might have been ready to offer $9.5 X 8 years? As you say "negotiations aren't had". Am I looking at that right?

In theory if Aho didn’t want to commit to the Canes for 8 years, he could agree to a 5 year deal with another team.  When the Canes match, Aho will be a Cane for 5 more years.  Yes Aho has to sign us when we match.  Also, DW couldn’t offer Aho another deal in that deal. It has to be the same term and money, hence match.

Looking at the mock drafts and who I would like to see the Canes add, I believe a RH shooting forward should be the priority.  Was JW the only RH shooting forward on the team last season, until the late arrival of Patrick Brown?  There are a few in Charlotte such as Necas, Gauthier, and Roy.  Still, the team seem somewhat unbalanced in this respect.  

One player that won't be available when the 28th pick of Round 1 comes around that may be of interest is Philip Tomasino.  Most mock drafts list him in the 18-23 range.  If the draft gets up to 18 and he has not been drafted, would you trade the #28 pick plus Fleury to move up 10 spots?  

From Canes Country:

This is far from a surprise, but Craig Custance believes Carolina is one of the teams to watch on draft day as they look to acquire more scoring and will be willing to use their first-round draft pick to make that happen. 

I think we are in the best position we've ever been, in terms of our talent pool and youth of the big club to move that pick. 

2 hours ago, beboplar said:

Looking at the mock drafts and who I would like to see the Canes add, I believe a RH shooting forward should be the priority.  Was JW the only RH shooting forward on the team last season, until the late arrival of Patrick Brown?  There are a few in Charlotte such as Necas, Gauthier, and Roy.  Still, the team seem somewhat unbalanced in this respect.  

One player that won't be available when the 28th pick of Round 1 comes around that may be of interest is Philip Tomasino.  Most mock drafts list him in the 18-23 range.  If the draft gets up to 18 and he has not been drafted, would you trade the #28 pick plus Fleury to move up 10 spots?  

Not me, I think that Fleury has a lot more value than that.  I've got to believe that Fleury straight up for #18 OA is closer to fair value than Fleury plus #28 OA.

Edited by LakeLivin

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Not me, I think that Fleury has a lot more value than that.  I've got to believe that Fleury straight up for #18 OA is closer to fair value than Fleury plus #28 OA.

I would like to see them try that then.  I don't think it would happen, but I would love that trade.

8 hours ago, beboplar said:

I'm a right handed shooting Center. Just sayin'.

Given that the top 10-11 is pretty locked in, and a lot of mocks have Florida taking Knight at 13. Minnesota at #12 would be an intriguing place to land. Outside of the top skaters, but still in range of Knight on most boards. 

I have no idea if we even have him in our sights, but we should. Takes goalies 4-5 years typically. Plenty of time to give Ned a spin.

Im good with a 2nd round goalie.  Helvig also looks really solid.  I think we’ll be okay slow playing the goalie situation 

So what are the chances we make our pick as scheduled? What do you think we'll do with it?  I'll start. 50% we make the pick. 25% we trade for a player. 25% we move up.

23 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

So what are the chances we make our pick as scheduled? What do you think we'll do with it?  I'll start. 50% we make the pick. 25% we trade for a player. 25% we move up.

I'll suggest that things are fluid up to the time we pick as to your 3 choices cclifford, as I would bet that DW is working the phones as fast as he can call/answer attempting to consummate a deal. That may be what all GMs are doing right now, but in my opinion Waddell has much more in the way of dry powder than the majority of others.

Once you go past the first 3 picks or so the Draft is a mystery to me. Tonight is no exception

4 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Nothing much usually happens trade-wise on the first night of the draft, not expecting much.

Of course as soon as I look away. You know the rest.