The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Calder Cup Finals 2019

There is definitely a new and fresh winning pedigree surrounding the franchise between the recent success of the Canes season and of course the Chex success. This in itself is a major boost for maintaining an upward climb.  Feed the fire 🔥!

On 6/8/2019 at 11:23 PM, G50 said:

For those who were wondering pre-series, in case it's not now clear - Yes, I was the fan the Wolves were on the special mission for, which is why they made it this far to begin with.

And here's a written response for which you've baited this thread into giving, so I'll fall. Like top-shelf apparently, I have no clue what your comments (need I say rant) is about? I'm sure there is/was a point to them, and from time to time as I perused this site, I've seen you post in a rather obtuse fashion, but figured you were an erstwhile Canes/Checkers fan gone over to the dark side, or perhaps the opposite. That the Wolves "were on a special mission for you" sounds ominous, but if we on here are not aware of this meaning, all you sound like is someone trolling? 

Edited by KJUNKANE

Article on the NHL website:

https://www.nhl.com/news/charlotte-wins-ahls-calder-cup-with-game-5-victory-against-chicago/c-307765066

One sentence sounds a little worrying - it says that Poturalski played the playoffs with a broken foot, yet he scored 12 goals and 11 assists in 18 games? 1.28 ppg on a bad foot?

Heal up, young man, and get yourself ready for next season.

Poturalski is interesting. He looked very out of place in his last NHL call up, but that is ancient history too. He's small but skilled. He's 25 as he peaks. But he was a point per game over the regular season, and 1.28 points per game in the playoffs all the way to the Calder Cup. I've sort of passed him by in my mind, but this season was a breakout. He certainly deserves another look in the NHL. Doesn't mean he'll get one, but he could be a Derek Ryan sort of player. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, remkin said:

Nice win guys, now give me 40 pushups and get on the bike.

Wait a second.  He did say, "You got to enjoy it a bit."  That was his one regret.

OK, workouts start on Monday!

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Poturalski is interesting. He looked very out of place in his last NHL call up, but that is ancient history too. He's small but skilled. He's 25 as he peaks. But he was a point per game over the regular season, and 1.28 points per game in the playoffs all the way to the Calder Cup. I've sort of passed him by in my mind, but this season was a breakout. He certainly deserves another look in the NHL. Doesn't mean he'll get one, but he could be a Derek Ryan sort of player. 

I would bet anything Poturalski is done with the Canes.  They had him for 3 seasons, and barely gave him a sniff.  He has gotten noticed, is a free agent, and he will go where he deems himself to have a place to play in the NHL.

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

I would bet anything Poturalski is done with the Canes.  They had him for 3 seasons, and barely gave him a sniff.  He has gotten noticed, is a free agent, and he will go where he deems himself to have a place to play in the NHL.

And Brind'Amour pretty much said 'Necas is next' and 'one at a time'.  If Pottsy stays, i'll bet he still doesn't get a sniff.

17 hours ago, G50 said:

As promised pre-series Canes games will no longer be watched until the Wolves finally win a cup post-2010.

Crime doesn't pay, it's time the Canes face some consequences for their awful actions.

What the heck? Why are you on this board? Do the Wolves not have one? Or the Blackhawks or whoever you really root for? Did you think this kind of post on a Canes board was productive? Go away!

17 hours ago, G50 said:

25 years of never watching the Wolves win it (2010 is when the tv channel became available)

Explain to me how deep down i can watch the Canes during the rest of this drought without the constant reminder of the injustice their affiliate committed.

You can’t. So don’t. Please.

You would think after 10 years of being a member of these boards people would know me by now and none of the Wolves things being a surprise.

My profile literally has always stated my hockey history. IHL and AHL are where my hockey love started, Wolves were a 20 minute drive away, making my first hockey team an easy choice.

Blackhawks grew jealous of us and naturally all of that bad blood made me hate them. Eventually i decided to start watching the nhl, and the Hurricanes were the obvious first choice. Coming into fall 2005, I already had two North Carolina sports teams in Duke Men/Women and the NFL Panthers who i am an OG fan of. 

This should hopefully clear all confusion up finally.

3 hours ago, beboplar said:

I don't really disagree, just think he's earned another shot. He's always had some offense, but this year was breakout, much better than in the past. Wallmark did that, although younger. I do think that in theory we might bring another guy up besides Necas, if that guy is more of a veteran. Last year we had Foegele and Svech for instance, then called up McKegg, etc. But with him getting a bit long in the NHL tooth, and a UFA it would not be stunning to me if we let him walk too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

I do think that in theory we might bring another guy up besides Necas, if that guy is more of a veteran.

This is kind of how I read it. HCRB didn't seem to want to be teaching everything to two young new players.The ones that have been around awhile should know it.

Oh, and given our depth, I also wouldn't be surprised to see Potsy take a look elsewhere for an easier route to the NHL.  I still believe that's why Fox spurned us, rather than him pushing for NY as the major factor. 

3 hours ago, G50 said:

You would think after 10 years of being a member of these boards people would know me by now and none of the Wolves things being a surprise.

My profile literally has always stated my hockey history. IHL and AHL are where my hockey love started, Wolves were a 20 minute drive away, making my first hockey team an easy choice.

Blackhawks grew jealous of us and naturally all of that bad blood made me hate them. Eventually i decided to start watching the nhl, and the Hurricanes were the obvious first choice. Coming into fall 2005, I already had two North Carolina sports teams in Duke Men/Women and the NFL Panthers who i am an OG fan of. 

This should hopefully clear all confusion up finally.

That’s all fine and dandy...but what the hell was with the comments that gave everyone the impression that Charlotte played underhanded or got fortunate calls and whatnot?  I don’t get the hatred 

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

That’s all fine and dandy...but what the hell was with the comments that gave everyone the impression that Charlotte played underhanded or got fortunate calls and whatnot?  I don’t get the hatred 

Not sure, but might know what he is referring to. Watching the Calder Cup Finals (Wolves broadcast) there was a lot of complaints by the commentators about the Checkers high hits and cross-checks to the head/neck area. One of their broadcasters made the comment (don't remember which game) that he'd be pointing that out to the refs at every stoppage if he were the Wolves coach. I really didn't see that many high hits; sticks came up. I just think the Checkers out-worked the Wolves. Their fore-check was pretty relentless and they played pretty much on the tips of their skates.

Edited by hopper915

Just now, hopper915 said:

Not sure, but might know what he is referring to. Watching the Calder Cup playoffs (Wolves broadcast) there was a lot of complaints by the commentators about the Checkers high hits and cross-checks to the head/neck area. One of their broadcasters made the comment (don't remember which game) that he'd be pointing that out to the refs at every stoppage if he were the Wolves coach. I really didn't see that many high hits. I just think the Checkers out-worked the Wolves. Their fore-check was pretty relentless and they played pretty much on the tips of their skates.

If that’s the case...too damn bad.  Their commentators were the worst at whining of any hockey commentators I’ve ever seen.  Even the notoriously homer Evil Empire guys didn’t hold a candle to these two.  Every touch and collision by the Checkers was a missed call according to them.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

It's the defeat in and of itself that has me angry. Nothing more.  Up there with my soccer team's 2014 devestating MLS Cup loss, this is one of the worst ones I've ever had to deal with due to the circumstances of what was on the line. 

Edited by G50

13 minutes ago, G50 said:

It's the defeat in and of itself that has me angry. Nothing more.  Up there with my soccer team's 2015 devestating MLS Cup loss, this is one of the worst ones I've ever had to deal with due to the circumstances of what was on the line. 

Gotcha 

15 hours ago, remkin said:

I don't really disagree, just think he's earned another shot. He's always had some offense, but this year was breakout, much better than in the past. Wallmark did that, although younger. I do think that in theory we might bring another guy up besides Necas, if that guy is more of a veteran. Last year we had Foegele and Svech for instance, then called up McKegg, etc. But with him getting a bit long in the NHL tooth, and a UFA it would not be stunning to me if we let him walk too.

Like you, I would not be surprised to see at least two Checker forwards earn promotions to the Canes with outstanding training camp exhibitions.  I don't know that one of those is Necas, though he very well could be.  If Ferland walks, they have a need for physicality, and developments from Gauthier or Roy over the summer could elevate their status.  Also, Geekie seems to be a player everyone sees as a comer, maybe more so than Saarela, Kuok, and Poturalski.  Then there is Matheos also and the newly signed Fin player.  Lots of forwards knocking on the door.  I don't know that Wallmark should rest on his laurels, though he has a heads start on the others.

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

Like you, I would not be surprised to see at least two Checker forwards earn promotions to the Canes with outstanding training camp exhibitions.  I don't know that one of those is Necas, though he very well could be.  If Ferland walks, they have a need for physicality, and developments from Gauthier or Roy over the summer could elevate their status.  Also, Geekie seems to be a player everyone sees as a comer, maybe more so than Saarela, Kuok, and Poturalski.  Then there is Matheos also and the newly signed Fin player.  Lots of forwards knocking on the door.  I don't know that Wallmark should rest on his laurels, though he has a heads start on the others.

This response is in part to your post, but also just some general points not just aimed at the post.

It is a great time for Canes' fans as all of that drafting and developing is starting to mature to the point that we can see what we've got. There is no doubt that the collective is better than ever. Traverse City wins and now this Calder Cup. Of course the real question is not the collective, but how high each individual can get. 

Necas does not play a heavy game. Neither does Conner McDavid. I agree though, that we need to keep an eye on maintaining physicality. I posted elsewhere that we get hits from nearly every player the committee added last year: Dougy, DeHaan, Foegele, Marinook, even Svech, hit more than league averare, but Ferland topped them all. We should consider that. However, not all pegs have to fit in the same hole, even if it's one Brind'Amour talks about alot. He's also mentioned we need more skill. Necas will have to spit the bit not to make the team IMO. I got a lot of flack for saying that about Aho early on too, and we'll see, but I'd bet a nice chunk on Necas. Necas making the Canes next year is not even really interesting because it's almost a lock.

What's interesting is the other slots. Wallmark is a nice player. He is smart and a coach's type guy. He's only 23, so not peaked yet. He's shown he can not look out of place. But he is not a 3C in terms of production. AND with Jordan Staal not a 2C in terms of production, we are not getting nearly enough production from our centers below Aho. And then Brindy is still putting out there that he's not even sold on Aho at center.  The thing is, Necas has played wing all year in Charlotte. While making the Canes will happen IMO, not at center. (In fact, the one thing that might negate him making it, is if Rod wants Necas to get some games in Charlotte at center first). 

Thing is, IMO there is no one in Charlotte who we can trust to outplay Wallmark at center. Geekie is a center, and looking very good, but ready to take over the 3C in Raleigh? Big ask. He has really accelerated in the playoffs, but regular season he was .63 ppg, which translates to .30 ppg in the NHL.....well, actually that is what Wallmark did this year...:letssee:. But Wallmark killed it his last year in the AHL at around 1 ppg. Plus Geekie was a rookie this year. This bodes very well for him overall, but while Foegele made the jump after his rookie year, Foegele played a 4th line game and not at center, and Foegele was, I think a year older. I think Geekie has a shot, but is really probably a year, or at least part of a year away. He needs to keep up that production from the playoffs into next year in Charlotte IMO. 

I'm really thinking we are going to really really try to bring in a legit center, which will change the equation about non Necas guys coming up. I think our need at center is still fairly acute and the need is a skill level and production level that no one in our AHL system is ready to produce. If we bring in a new center with NHL chops, and then Necas, there might not actually be room for any other Checkers at least out of camp. I am guessing that J Williams comes back for at least one more run, but if not, then there might be one more spot, depending on what we do with Wallmark and McKegg. We all liked McKegg, but Walmark out produced him, and has more upside being 3 years younger.

Roy still hasn't put up enough AHL points, and Bishop will never be an NHL 3C. Kuok could, but needs to get to a ppg in the AHL and is coming off injury.

So, to me the intrigue from Charlotte (up front) is wether anyone besides Necas make the team in camp. Despite the Calder Cup, I'd bet no. 

I think most fans thought Necas would make the team this season.  If you thought Foegle had a better chance of making the team than Necas this past season, please speak up and I will start paying more attention to your posts.  I am not saying he won't make the team, but I will say he is not a lock.  If Ferland walks and Wallmark remains on the roster, then the likelihood of Necas sticking goes down.  You only have to look at the Blues and Bruins to see that physicality yields results.  de Haan won't be around for the start of the season.  Whoever replaces him, Bean/Fleury/other, will not bring as physical a game.  I don't see the Canes taking a step back in the direction they are moving, so a trade of free agent signing for a physical player seems in order if Ferland walks.

Expectations have risen amongst the Canes followers.  Next season will be a challenge, just to keep moving in the right direction.  That said, their success has brought them some attention, and hopefully their culture will be seen as an attractive landing spot to players of other teams, and any one of the prospects has the capability to making a leap over the summer.

4 hours ago, beboplar said:

I think most fans thought Necas would make the team this season.  If you thought Foegle had a better chance of making the team than Necas this past season, please speak up and I will start paying more attention to your posts.

Been pumping Foelele's tires a long time. Foegele over Necas? No, would not have predicted that. But in fairness I did see Foegele coming and predicted it on these very boards for years. 

I did think Necas would make it last year. I was wrong on that. As mentioned, despite him being a third rounder, I've been a fan of Foegele for a long time. That said, Necas will still outshine his career most likely.

I could be wrong again. We'll see. It's all opinion. No one's right all the time, not even close.

BTW are you, for the record, predicting Necas does not make the team? 

3 hours ago, remkin said:

. . .

I am guessing that J Williams comes back for at least one more run, but if not, then there might be one more spot, depending on what we do with Wallmark and McKegg. We all liked McKegg, but Walmark out produced him, and has more upside being 3 years younger.
 . . .

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Willy call it a career. From a leadership perspective I think it will be extremely tough for him to match, let alone surpass what he did last season (success of storm surges, EC finals). Given that, it might depend on how much pressure he puts on himself.  If it's a lot (which wouldn't surprise me) I could see him calling it a day at this point in his career.  But I'm sure that Brindy will be heavily campaigning for him to come back, so who knows?

McKegg played half as many games as Wallmark, but actually scored goals at a slightly higher rate (Wallmark was much better with assists).  Given how different their games are, if it came down to the two for, say, a 4th line C spot, it wouldn't shock me if McKegg got a "horses for courses" nod, especially if Wallmark could return anything of value in a trade, even if it's realistically going to be limited.