Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Calder Cup Finals 2019

Recommended Posts

Just now, remkin said:

Necas made that happen.

True...sick pass to set it up!  Necas should be our 3C next season!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening and not watching.  Glad to see Sellgren is back in, though... after the lukewarm game Sanguinetti turned in last night, i fully understand that switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Listening and not watching.  Glad to see Sellgren is back in, though... after the lukewarm game Sanguinetti turned in last night, i fully understand that switch.

He and Bean seem to be the best offensive defensemen   on the team , Fleury  can skate really good with the puck but that is about all  i've seen him do , not really do much set up plays . his defensive game still looks to need work .  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Fleury  can skate really good with the puck but that is about all  i've seen him do , not really do much set up plays . his defensive game still looks to need work .  

How many NHL games does he have with ZERO goals?

 

I’m all for trading him.  Needs a scenery change .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

How many NHL games does he have with ZERO goals?

 

 

Does Halko still hold the record for most NHL games without a goal?  Halko played 159 (155 regular season + 4 post) while Fleury is at 96 (87 + 9).  The count is on...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Yeah, and those announcers showing their true colors with that completely spineless exchange.

They were the wolves  broadcasters .   Nearly every AHL  teams broadcast is  going to show their homerism  . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Yeah, and those announcers showing their true colors with that completely spineless exchange.

Only watched part of the two games, but these guys never stop whining about “bad” calls and non-calls that they perceive go against the Wolves. And “dirty” plays by the Checkers. They didn’t seem to have a problem with their guy pounding Lorentz’s head into the ice several times. They can’t top Shaya’s rant about the officiating in Game 6 against the Marlies, though. That audio should be sent to the Hall of Fame.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a couple of things...

 

I agree Tokarski almost looks aloof/disinterested at times. This is exactly what I was thinking also. He’s not what I would call confidence inspiring. Hopefully it’ll be Ned from here on out. I think his puck-handling ability was also missed.

 

Can’t really say I was overly impressed with anyone tonight. I thought Roy was our best forward. If that guy could skate, man...

 

Brown and Bishop continue to give 100% effort.

 

Saarela is soft and floats around. This is usually how I feel after seeing him play. Not a fan. Same with Koukanen (yes I know he’s not playing). It’s all well and good to have a great shot or play a cerebral game, but you also have to have the heart and willingness to play physical and go to the dirty areas, along with giving a consistent effort.

 

I thought our forwards as a whole were a little lazy on the back-check.

 

Bean looked pretty good again, I just wish he had a little more lead in his pencil. Same with Necas.

 

I thought Carrick was our worst defenseman tonight, and McKeowen didn’t have a great game either.

 

I’m not as down on Fleury as others, and I’m less optimistic about Gauthier than others (yes I know he didn’t play tonight). Time will tell.

 

I like Geekie. I also like Matheos but I think he needs to find another gear/has more to give.

 

Let’s Go Checkers!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Necas made a lot happen, even if only one very very sweet assist made the scoresheet, and Jurco keeps bringing it. I also thought Roy made a lot of nice plays. Just to call out a few. I do think we go back to Ned in the next one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vellucci on the incident in the final seconds of the game involving Chicago forward Curtis McKenzie
I used to have respect for a guy that played 100 games in the NHL, but he hit a defenseless player four or five times. I just watched the video. He hit him four or five times when he was on the ice. There’s a code in hockey, and he should know it and everybody knows it. To hit a defenseless player that many times when he’s down, I hope somebody takes care of what he’s supposed to do from the league standpoint. I used to have respect for somebody that played 100 games in the NHL, but that was bush league. 

 

--From Checkers website.

 

 

I've watched a pretty good amount of hockey and one thing that almost always happens in a fight: stop pummeling a guy when he's down. This is not the MMA. I've seen guys take one extra shot, and to be honest, that looks dirty. But I can't recall watching a game where a guy just kept hitting a defenseless guy who is laying on the ice. To me he'd be out for the rest of the season, and frankly, I'd look for a way to take him out of the league entirely. 

 

That is actually the kind of attack that the league could worry about a formal criminal charge against the player. I'm sure they don't want that, so they better drop the hammer. If they don't it should be open season on that guy if he's back out there. That was criminally inexcusable IMO. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, remkin said:

Vellucci on the incident in the final seconds of the game involving Chicago forward Curtis McKenzie
I used to have respect for a guy that played 100 games in the NHL, but he hit a defenseless player four or five times. I just watched the video. He hit him four or five times when he was on the ice. There’s a code in hockey, and he should know it and everybody knows it. To hit a defenseless player that many times when he’s down, I hope somebody takes care of what he’s supposed to do from the league standpoint. I used to have respect for somebody that played 100 games in the NHL, but that was bush league. 

 

From Checkers website.

 

I've watched a pretty good amount of hockey and one thing that almost always happens in a fight: stop pummeling a guy when he's down. This is not the MMA. I've seen guys take one extra shot, and to be honest, that looks dirty. But I can't recall watching a game where a guy just kept hitting a defenseless guy who is layig on the ice. To me he'd be out for the rest of the season, and frankly, I'd look for a way to take him out of the league entirely. 

 

That is actually the kind of attack that the league could worry about a formal criminal charge against the player. I'm sure they don't want that, so they better drop the hammer. If they don't it should be open season on that guy if he's back out there. That was criminally inexcusable IMO. 

Must say I was aghast at that blatantly dirty attack as the "unwritten code" I'd always heard was for the beating to stop once the fighters were on the ground, or otherwise defenseless? This attack was clearly over the top, and if whatever player safety group oversees the AHL (presumably same for NHL) inflicts no repercussion, than this sport is no better than MMA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Strong statement by V.  Doubt the league takes a similar stance.

If you're right, then the league is run by troglodyes. I personally think it starts to cross the line of criminality. I don't expect the league to agree with that, but it definitely crossed the line of suspendible, and all Vellucci was saying was that some league action should be taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...