The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Calder Cup Finals 2019

What would be truly interesting to follow is if the league even looks at it or if it's just swept under the rug. Anyone seen anything yet?

The Chicago announcers, who were quick to criticize the officials for calls against Chicago and perceived non-calls against Charlotte said nary a word about the egregious pounding of a defenseless Checker by their player. It took him quite a while to get up from the ice and then he looked disoriented. In the NHL playoffs, injury to the aggrieved player supposedly is a factor in meting out discipline. This has already been a chippy series, but there needs to be some serious retaliation from the Checkers if the league does nothing.

I remember a regular season game with the Rags circa 2010 +/-, after the Rangers had taken liberties during the previous game played between the 2 teams where the Canes started an “unconventional” lineup, and all 5 guys on both teams started fighting about one second after the puck was dropped. I know you can’t get guys disqualified in the finals to make a point, but there has to be some response to such a classless and dangerous act.

• Like 2

As expected the AHL has no intestinal fortitude. They are more concerned with affecting playoff series than caring about the overall game or players.

Just a 1 game suspension. 

56 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

As expected the AHL has no intestinal fortitude. They are more concerned with affecting playoff series than caring about the overall game or players.

Just a 1 game suspension. 

Same with the NHL.  See: Charley McAvoy

The official statement was because of his actions he was suspended. Clearly an attempt to injure, but frankly so is every fight. But the unwritten rules of fighting take over and say what he did was wrong. However, the key word is unwritten.

So at what point does punching each other in the face turn into attempt to injure, according to the rule book? Hockey fans know, hockey players know but the rulebook doesn't say it. So how are you suspending the guy? It's likely why Emery wasn't suspended for beating the crap outta Holtby because they couldn't.

I think if he appealed, he'd win.

I don't condone what happened, I just think it's an interesting topic. Make the fighting ethics written law rather then a mythical may or may not exist theory.

• Like 1

Hey guys, with a younger-than-Mac Tokarski putting up great numbers (1.14/.956 in 7 regular-season games with the Chex), could he be next year's Curtis, or at least our fallback plan if Mac ain't back? I know, he's on loan from NYR, and it's the AHL. But he's got some NHL time, is 6 years younger, and went 2.75/.910 in his busiest NHL season (17 total appearances in 2014-15) with Les Habs.

I'm just wondering what you all think; the above is all I know about him.

There's also the whole Darling wild card. I'm half-wondering whether he relapsed (though I certainly hope not) and that's what prompted his leave. If he can come back and be the guy we thought he would be? Wow. Talk about decisions.

Gauthier skated today, coach was vague about whether he'd play soon. Gauthier is a guy who could be building into an interesting player. He put up 27 goals this year, and Jayson Shaya kept calling out how good he's been in the playoffs during the last series. He has a lot of size and good hands. He's never going to be a big assist guy, he's a power forward all the way. I don't give him much of a shot out of camp, but someone to watch next year in Charlotte.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Hey guys, with a younger-than-Mac Tokarski putting up great numbers (1.14/.956 in 7 regular-season games with the Chex), could he be next year's Curtis, or at least our fallback plan if Mac ain't back? I know, he's on loan from NYR, and it's the AHL. But he's got some NHL time, is 6 years younger, and went 2.75/.910 in his busiest NHL season (17 total appearances in 2014-15) with Les Habs.

I'm just wondering what you all think; the above is all I know about him.

No to Tokarski, not impressed in the least. He seems to just strike a goalie pose that seems appropriate for the situation rather than actually reacting/tracking the puck. Also seems a bit sluggish/doesn’t move well. Like I (and someone else) said, he almost looks aloof/disinterested, and not in a calm and focused way like Mac. He can’t handle the puck either.

Of course I’ve only seen him a few times, but by judging from what I did see I can’t see him sticking in the NHL even as a backup.

As for Darling I had zero hope before last season, and I have even less now if that is possible. Since he came to Carolina I can honestly say he is one of the worst goalies I’ve ever seen, and his numbers here pretty much bear that out.

• Like 1

I don’t ever want to see Mongo in any uniform affiliated with the Canes again. Sorry it didn’t work out, but he’s done.

Not impressed with Tokarski in the least.  If we have to go after another goalie this summer, I’d actually consider Subban out in vegas.

Oh swell...we get the Uber biased Chicago feed on NHL-N...and they started off whining about the ending to the last game

Checkers very lucky to be up so far. Sloppy play by Checkers who are being out played. Ned with an absolute steal after the Wolves crossed it for a wide open shot. Hope the Checkers look better in the second, because 1-0 will not hold up with what I saw in the last 10 minutes.

Oh so Mckenzie got an automatic suspension for instigating a fight at the end of a game, not because of what he actually did. That makes more sense from what you expect these leagues to do.

• Like 1

Just now, legend-1 said:

Oh so Mckenzie got an automatic suspension for instigating a fight at the end of a game, not because of what he actually did. That makes more sense from what you expect these leagues to do.

Yah...and these announcers are still steamed about it