The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Calder Cup Finals 2019

Does Ned being a smaller goalie in stature matter?  He sure looks to leave a lot of open net but really tracks lose pucks and cross ice passes really well.  The guy has to get some kind of shot next year.

Go Chex!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Does Ned being a smaller goalie in stature matter?  He sure looks to leave a lot of open net but really tracks lose pucks and cross ice passes really well.  The guy has to get some kind of shot next year.

Go Chex!

Goalie size is like velocity in baseball, everyone is drawn to the biggest goalie or fastest thrower. If your stuff works, you’ll make the professional ranks.  Some just have to work harder than others because they cannot hit 98 or a goalie be at least 6’3. 

On 6/4/2019 at 6:42 PM, Kyrule said:

No to Tokarski, not impressed in the least. He seems to just strike a goalie pose that seems appropriate for the situation rather than actually reacting/tracking the puck. Also seems a bit sluggish/doesn’t move well. Like I (and someone else) said, he almost looks aloof/disinterested, and not in a calm and focused way like Mac. He can’t handle the puck either.

Of course I’ve only seen him a few times, but by judging from what I did see I can’t see him sticking in the NHL even as a backup.

As for Darling I had zero hope before last season, and I have even less now if that is possible. Since he came to Carolina I can honestly say he is one of the worst goalies I’ve ever seen, and his numbers here pretty much bear that out.

Thanks for the intel on Tokarski. I'm pretty sure I've never seen him play.

I agree that Darling has been the worst keeper in terms of fundamentals this team has ever iced. I really think that once he got his deal he lost all interest in proving he was worth it, and his tweet in reply to a fan who criticized his play, "I'm an NHL goalie and you're not" or something to that effect, supports that conclusion. All of that being said, his recklessness in the crease and in that exchange are what lead to wonder if he's fallen off the wagon. I hope not, but if so, regardless what happens in his professional life, I hope he can climb back on and find peace.

• Like 1

Yeah I remember thinking how the D was bad, a guy falls down, they make us look like keystone cops with the tick tack toe, and obvious goal, and....what? no goal? Ned saw it the whole way and made the big save. He anticipates plays very well.

This was the most dramatic, but a lot of the game came down to Ned. Funny because the Checkers did to the Wolves, what so many years teams used to do to us, get out played and out shot and still beat us by finishing and getting good goaltending. 

I would just like to note that Ronnie Francis deserves about 50-60% credit for putting this team together, and Vellucci gets most of the rest of the credit for getting them to where they are today.  

Ironically, some of Ronnie Franchise's good pick ups, such as Saarela and McKeown, will be very attractive free agent signings for other clubs this off season, if the Canes are unable to extend them.  Personally, I thought McKeown was destined to fill the role TVR did when all of a sudden they extended TVR for 2 more seasons.  I'm not sure how much more TVR brings to the table versus McKeown, but when you have a close to equal at less price, I would have preferred they spend that money towards a forward.

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

I'm not sure how much more TVR brings to the table versus McKeown

Proven NHL experience. With TVR you get what you see. He is a reliable NHL Dman. As the team gets better the chances for prospects becomes limited. Some, a few prospects will make the leap but others won't. The days of prospect plug and pray may be over. This isn't a criticism of McKeown, far from it. He may indeed make the leap with us or someone else. Depth is not a bad problem to have, is it?

2 hours ago, beboplar said:

I would just like to note that Ronnie Francis deserves about 50-60% credit for putting this team together, and Vellucci gets most of the rest of the credit for getting them to where they are today.  

Ironically, some of Ronnie Franchise's good pick ups, such as Saarela and McKeown, will be very attractive free agent signings for other clubs this off season, if the Canes are unable to extend them.  Personally, I thought McKeown was destined to fill the role TVR did when all of a sudden they extended TVR for 2 more seasons.  I'm not sure how much more TVR brings to the table versus McKeown, but when you have a close to equal at less price, I would have preferred they spend that money towards a forward.

Well said, and I honestly think (and hope) that McKeown gets a deal with us. He has a history of winning and of leadership, and IMO has only scratched the surface of what he could eventually become. He reminds me a lot of Tyler Myers.

Edited by top-shelf-1

19 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'd be real curious to know if Roddy is attending or at least watching these games. Gotta think so.

Doesn't mean he is or he isn't, but 2 seasons ago my wife and i saw Peters in the crowd at a Checkers playoff game in the regular seats, but we haven't seen Brind'Amour.

6 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Game 4 not on NHL-N tonight :(

I think it is on tomorrow at 1:00pm, set my DVR to record it. Not positive though.

It is going to kill me not knowing the score but I’ll wait to see it on the big screen.

I’ll check YouTube though and see if I can find it, I can stream it through my PS4.

Let’s Go Checkers!

• Like 1

Chicago gets a screen shot from the point with deflections to drop. 2-1 Chicago with 3:31 to go in the first.