The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac82-ch1

Salary Cap at 81.5 million

So now that the cap amount has been revealed to be $81.5 million, what do you think the team should address first? I think Willy will resign, and Aho should be a lock. Considering the cap, and the contract for Marleau, any thoughts on the team's moves before July 1st?

Winnipeg is really up against it now! Go get Ehlers; they can't take back much salary; so trade them the first pick that we got yesterday and a prospect.

I guess it comes down to if we should lock up our guys first, or go after a top level talent kind of guy. It will be interesting considering Marleau is now in the conversation. I read a report that he wants to go back to the Sharks. I would take a top level player to help boost the scoring.

18 minutes ago, caniac82-ch1 said:

I guess it comes down to if we should lock up our guys first, or go after a top level talent kind of guy. It will be interesting considering Marleau is now in the conversation. I read a report that he wants to go back to the Sharks. I would take a top level player to help boost the scoring.

Marleau had a full NTC and I've read that his family had already moved back to the San Jose area.  I can't imagine a scenario where the deal didn't include him ending up back in SJ to close out his career. 

1 hour ago, caniac82-ch1 said:

So now that the cap amount has been revealed to be $81.5 million, what do you think the team should address first? I think Willy will resign, and Aho should be a lock. Considering the cap, and the contract for Marleau, any thoughts on the team's moves before July 1st?

The cap settings do not change anything for us. But other teams up against it.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Yah...trade Faulk for a damn scorer! ;)

He ain’t worth that much of a scorer.

14 minutes ago, cc said:

Then go full JR and throw some used pucks in as a sweetener ;)

11 minutes ago, cc said:

Yep.  Faulk's real value is 2 years in the past.  I'd expect more than Pu for him, if for no other reason than because we can negotiate with 15 teams instead of apparently 1, but with 1 year left on his contract, 2 years removed from being an All-Star, and 2 years removed from his 15-16-17 goal seasons, i think the Canes would be lucky to get a 3rd-liner for him.   Either that or a decent scorer who is also in the last year of his contract.

We have a trade/player move topic already. Do we need another ?

15 minutes ago, OBXer said:

We have a trade/player move topic already. Do we need another ?

So let’s merge em

• Like 1

This only helps the canes getting another top 6 player  via trade .   But it is  a little concerning   since a lot of teams are going to struggle  to stay  under the cap  it could force another lockout  the year after this   coming season . 

45 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

This only helps the canes getting another top 6 player  via trade .   But it is  a little concerning   since a lot of teams are going to struggle  to stay  under the cap  it could force another lockout  the year after this   coming season . 

It's interesting you mention that. A couple of days ago I mentioned that Elliot Friedman put out there that the cap was going to be $81.5 million, so he was right on there. But he mentioned that the reason was to lessen the amount of money held in escrow. The players wanted money out of escrow and keeping the cap low allowed that. This was brought up as a point of contention that the players and the league worked together on. He also mentioned that the cap would stay low again next year, and then shoot up after a new TV deal was signed. Anyway, he didn't see the lower cap as a thing that would lead to a work stoppage, and possibly the opposite, like there was a long term plan to stay out of one. 

Just to go one further about striking while the iron is hot, if indeed the cap squeeze will last two years, even more problems for cap strapped teams before then. Not only this year, but knowing there will be little relief next year also.

Also, if the cap is going to jump in two years, and salaries are already getting high, imagine the jump in years 3,4,5 down the line. Thus, guys like Ehlers, on 6 more years of salary lock down, will be even more valuable. 

I'm more and more down with really trying to get that guy. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, remkin said:

Just to go one further about striking while the iron is hot, if indeed the cap squeeze will last two years, even more problems for cap strapped teams before then. Not only this year, but knowing there will be little relief next year also.

Also, if the cap is going to jump in two years, and salaries are already getting high, imagine the jump in years 3,4,5 down the line. Thus, guys like Ehlers, on 6 more years of salary lock down, will be even more valuable. 

I'm more and more down with really trying to get that guy. 

Agree 100% and Ehlers is a type of trade this Organization is comfortable with from a salary perspective. I dont see us putting out Panarin type money for a LW, but Ehlers is a perfect fit. The question is how tough is the ask to get it done? Pesce...No.

25 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Agree 100% and Ehlers is a type of trade this Organization is comfortable with from a salary perspective. I dont see us putting out Panarin type money for a LW, but Ehlers is a perfect fit. The question is how tough is the ask to get it done? Pesce...No.

I have to think Pesce is the ask. And possibly why this trade has not happened. Unless Faulk put Winnepeg on his pesky limited NTC, but even if he didn't no way does one year of Faulk get us Ehlers. This is why I'm a bit bummed we can't extend Faulk and then trade him. And one step further, even if we did trade them Pesce for Ehlers straight up, we would probably need to keep Faulk more than just next year as it's doubtful Bean will be all he can be in two years.

I get the concern on trading Pesce. I guess I just have to fall back on the old "you have to give to get" line. Also, if I recall, Pesce missed 9 games with injury before we went on our run, and the team went 5-3-1 without him. This is a terribly small sample size though admittedly.

The thing is, we cannot trade Faulk and get Ehlers IMO. We cannot trade Slavin from our end, and DeHaan is post surgery, TVR and Fleury won't bring back an Ehlers. The remaining option is Dougie. 

OK. I admit this might be wrong, and before I put this out there allow me: :couch:.  But I'd trade Pesce right now before Dougie. Hey, you have to take a stand even if you're not in line with the majority. I get the concerns about Hamilton's defensive game because I had them in spades in the first half. But he tightened that up some, and he is legit offensively. His 18 goals were just huge. And these were not seeing eye, bounce off the D's skates goals. He creates legit offense and carries an offensive swagger not seen here in the same way since Joni Pitkanen, but with far less deep drives behind the net. Especially if we end up moving Faulk, and before we really get to prime Bean, we need those goals from the D. 

Pesce is amazing. His lock down D would be missed and missing that would be a problem. And I would not trade him for anything other than a first liner. But Ehlers is an above average first liner in his early 20's signed to what will be an increasingly sweet contract for 6 more years. As Necas and Svech round out and Aho and TT get even better, the idea of adding Ehlers to that group is just too enticing to me. 

I'd do it, but I fully get others not doing it, and I'm guessing at this point the committee agrees with the not doing it thing. 

Not sure I can agree with this one. Get the fascination in Ehlers but Pesce is locked down at $4.0M long term and will only get better. No wonder he is coveted around the league. To me, Slavin and Pesce are the anchors of the "D". Definitely want to keep Dougie, too. Love his offence. But, still have major concerns around his body of work defensively. So, that leaves Faulk. Or, maybe there will be an opportunity to package prospects and draft picks for a top 6 forward, where we take on a salary as part of the deal. But, please don't trade Pesce.

1 hour ago, CanesTR said:

Not sure I can agree with this one. Get the fascination in Ehlers but Pesce is locked down at $4.0M long term and will only get better. No wonder he is coveted around the league. To me, Slavin and Pesce are the anchors of the "D". Definitely want to keep Dougie, too. Love his offence. But, still have major concerns around his body of work defensively. So, that leaves Faulk. Or, maybe there will be an opportunity to package prospects and draft picks for a top 6 forward, where we take on a salary as part of the deal. But, please don't trade Pesce.

That is a more than fair point. I was pretty sure I'd draw some debate with that. The point about $4 million is legit. That is a steal for Pesce. 

But Ehler's as a 65 point guy at his age, with more upside, locked down to a $6 million deal for 6 more years is pretty tempting too. 

No doubt if we could get an Ehlers with a package of Faulk with picks and prospects, it would be far better. But I'm wondering if Faulk might have Winnipeg on his NTC list. (Is that list known?). If he doesn't want to go there, then he can block it, or even allow it but not re-sign, making him a long term rental. And the idea taking a one year Faulk and emptying out our B prospects and picks for a proven young elite forward is probably a fantasy. 

It would be best if we could find the next TT and offer Faulk-plus and some cap relief for a team to get him. But we may not find the perfect deal. That was a rare thing, that deal.

Maybe we just end up playing small ball. That's what we did most years before last year. Trade Faulk for a small return, then maybe try to pick up Perry. But if we want a high end young forward, we probably have to give to get.

Well, what are we to do now? We are only $2.1 mil from cap ceiling and I hope we still want JW back. I think we should move Reimer as he was not the good in net for Florida and that would free up $3.4 mil to sign JW to a $2 mil contract with space left over. We have 4 goalies in the AHL and I think Nedeljkovic deserves a shot. 

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Goalieman_nc said:

Well, what are we to do now? We are only $2.1 mil from cap ceiling and I hope we still want JW back. I think we should move Reimer as he was not the good in net for Florida and that would free up $3.4 mil to sign JW to a $2 mil contract with space left over. We have 4 goalies in the AHL and I think Nedeljkovic deserves a shot. 

Thoughts?

Ned is as ready as he will ever be for the big show. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Goalieman_nc said:

Thoughts?

Thoughts?   

Yes.  Here's one.   You just don't "move" a guy like that.   It isn't like throwing your fast food trash out the window.

It is like getting rid of radioactive waste.  It will cost because nobody wants it.

Cf:. Canes cleaned the Marlaue waste bucket with an associated charge.

Good luck finding someone else to play the cap rearrangement game.   Very little chance that 3.4M is magically cleared.  Maybe part.  But all?...

Edited by wxray1

18 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Thoughts?   

Yes.  Here's one.   You just don't "move" a guy like that.   It isn't like throwing your fast food trash out the window.

It is like getting rid of radioactive waste.  It will cost because nobody wants it.

Cf:. Canes cleaned the Marlaue waste bucket with an associated charge.

Good luck finding someone else to play the cap rearrangement game.   Very little chance that 3.4M is magically cleared.  Maybe part.  But all?...

I sorta' understand your point. Are you saying that Reimer is not a good player and no one will want him for full price? If so, then I do agree. I guess it's all the analogy's that are throwing me off.  🙈🙉🙊

7 hours ago, Goalieman_nc said:

I sorta' understand your point. Are you saying that Reimer is not a good player and no one will want him for full price? If so, then I do agree.

Yes.

I'm hoping the change of scenery works for him.  It is just that he currently is not viewed in the best of light, which makes a move hard.

• Like 1