The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Charlotte Checkers 2019-2020

The Hurricanes extended qualifying offers to all but one of their eligible players prior to the deadline on Tuesday.

Of the players who played in Charlotte last season, forward Clark Bishop, defensemen Roland McKeown, Trevor Carrick and Haydn Fleury and goalie Alex Nedeljkovic were all qualified, keeping their status as restricted free agents.

Coach, Coach where art thou? Would love to see a real up and comer set new fire under these guys, and piggyback (see what I did there Hamilton) on Vellucci's excellent guidance.

On 6/30/2019 at 6:35 PM, KJUNKANE said:

Coach, Coach where art thou? Would love to see a real up and comer set new fire under these guys, and piggyback (see what I did there Hamilton) on Vellucci's excellent guidance.

What about Kevin Dineen?  My favorite Whaler, son of long time AHL coach Bill Dineen, coached Florida, assisted to Joel Quennville at Chicago.  Is he following Quennville to Florida?  Seems unlikely he would go to a team that dismissed him.

Dineen would instill grit and determination to the prospects at Charlotte.  Nobody played harder than Kevin Dineen, nobody.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 11:03 AM, remkin said:

A pair of Checkers on the move, as expected, per Elliotte Friedman: Andrew Poturalski is headed to the Ducks, and Josiah Didier is going to the Bruins.

Clearing out a lot of things post Caulder. 

McKegg to the Rangers, Patrick Brown to the Knights, Dan Renouf to the Avalanche, per NHL.com

Their list isn't really up-to-date, though, since it doesn't show Potsie as signed at all.

2 hours ago, beboplar said:

What about Kevin Dineen?  My favorite Whaler, son of long time AHL coach Bill Dineen, coached Florida, assisted to Joel Quennville at Chicago.  Is he following Quennville to Florida?  Seems unlikely he would go to a team that dismissed him.

Dineen would instill grit and determination to the prospects at Charlotte.  Nobody played harder than Kevin Dineen, nobody.

Would absolutely love him, not only with Charlotte but behind the Canes bench as ASST Coach.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beboplar said:

My favorite Whaler as well, I have his jersey.

21 hours ago, Kyrule said:

My favorite Whaler as well, I have his jersey.

I just looked it up.  It appears he has not been hired since being fired with Quennville at Chicago last November.  I doubt he would be rejoining him there, having been fired as head coach many years ago.

Don't know who management is looking at for the Checkers' head coaching position, but Dineen would be an A+ choice.

• Like 1

The American Hockey League today announced the dates and opponents for home openers for the 2019-20 season:

Charlotte Checkers - Fri., Oct. 11 vs. Bridgeport

The Chex have a new head coach.

Ryan Warsofsky Named Checkers Head Coach by Nicholas Niedzielski

Warsofsky, 31, is the youngest head coach hired in the AHL since 2000. He served as Charlotte’s assistant coach last season under Mike Vellucci, who departed earlier this offseason to become head coach of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins

27 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Oops, just saw you've posted this OBXer. Did so on Off Season thread but would not have if I'd checked this out?

no worries.

Just glancing over that article looks to be a great move. We want a guy who gets the system both on the ice and in player development, so moving him up from inside makes sense. But his list of accomplishments, including as HC in ECHL are impressive too.

4 minutes ago, remkin said:

We want a guy who gets the system both on the ice and in player development

I think that is important. He certainly will need to prove he can be a head coach at the AHL level but I don't see anything that makes me think he won't be successful.

I suggested the team hire Kevin Dineen as coach.  Today the Ducks hired him to take over behind the bench for the San Diego Gulls, their AHL affiliate.  Loved Dineen as a player, and now get to see him coach again as I live in San Diego.  Checkers missed out.

• Like 1

Chex signings with a lot of AHL contracts  Charlotte Checkers

The Checkers added another piece to their offensive depth Thursday, signing Anthony Louis to an AHL contract.
The 24-year-old recently wrapped up his second full pro season with the Rockford IceHogs, ranking third on the team with 34 points (12g, 22a) in 74 games. A sixth-round pick by Chicago in 2013, Louis has logged 81 points (27g, 54a) in 157 career AHL games over the last three seasons, all with Rockford.

The Checkers today signed forward Cedric Lacroix to a two-way, AHL contract.
The 24-year-old completed his first pro season a year ago, leading the ECHL’s Wheeling Nailers in goals (22), ranking fourth on the team in points (42) and ranking sixth in the league with 215 penalty minutes. The undrafted Lacroix also appeared in one AHL contest for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and lit the lamp twice in his debut.

The Carolina Hurricanes have acquired defenseman Kyle Wood from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Trevor Carrick.
Wood, 23, is coming off a 35-point season with the San Jose Barracuda in which he ranked second among team defensemen in scoring and matched his career high with 29 assists. The Ontario native has recorded 97 points (23g, 74a) in 187 AHL games over his three full pro seasons with Springfield, Tucson and San Jose, including a 14-goal, 43-point rookie campaign that netted him a spot in the 2016-17 AHL All-Star Game and on the All-Rookie Team.

The Checkers added another piece to the defensive corps Wednesday, signing Cavan Fitzgerald to a one-year, AHL contract.
The 22-year-old – who became an unrestricted free agent this offseason after not receiving a qualifying offer from the Sharks – spent his first two pro seasons in the San Jose system, where he logged 33 points (11g, 22a) in 112 AHL games for the Barracuda. Last season Fitzgerald ranked second among team blue liners in goals (7) and fourth in points (20), both of which were career highs, and skated in all four of the Barracuda’s postseason contests.

Carolina added another forward in free agency Thursday, signing Max McCormick to a one-year, two-way deal.
The 27-year-old is coming off his fifth pro season that saw him post one goal in 14 NHL games with Ottawa and 12 points (7g, 5a) in 20 AHL games with Belleville before being dealt to Colorado, where he recorded eight points (2g, 6a) in 25 games with their AHL squad.

The Checkers bulked up their roster for next season on Thursday, signing defenseman Derek Sheppard and forwards Hunter Shinkaruk and Colin Markison all to AHL contracts.

• Like 2

Hunter Shinkaruk.

Former first round pick in 2013. There was some hype around him when he was drafted. To say it hasn’t worked out would be an understatement.

6 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Hunter Shinkaruk.

Former first round pick in 2013. There was some hype around him when he was drafted. To say it hasn’t worked out would be an understatement.

Ala Zach Boychuck and Ryan Murphy?