The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Charlotte Checkers 2019-2020

The Checkers added another piece to their offensive depth Thursday, signing Anthony Louis to an AHL contract.

The 24-year-old recently wrapped up his second full pro season with the Rockford IceHogs, ranking third on the team with 34 points (12g, 22a) in 74 games. A sixth-round pick by Chicago in 2013,

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Wow. Thoughts and prayers. Worked out OK for Lance Armstrong.....until much later, but that later bit was a different issue.

Yes, as you are aware rem, one type of this malignancy is very treatable. Certainly I join in prayers with all Caniacs in this matter.

This might not technically still fit the  thread given that we let him go, but I thought it was kind of cool anyways:

Forward Andrew Poturalski won the Calder Cup with the AHL's Charlotte Checkers last spring, and the Buffalo native spent his day with the Cup as a Buffalo native should: with copious amounts of chicken wings, courtesy of Bar Bill Tavern in East Aurora.

Edited by LakeLivin

gocheckers

Checkers have signed forward Dave Gust to an AHL contract.

The undrafted 25-year-old is heading into his third pro season after spending two campaigns with the Bakersfield Condors, including tying for fourth on the team with 18 goals a season ago. Overall Gust has logged 57 points (31g, 26a) in 112 AHL games, all with the Condors.

On 9/1/2019 at 12:42 PM, LakeLivin said:

This might not technically still fit the  thread given that we let him go, but I thought it was kind of cool anyways:

Forward Andrew Poturalski won the Calder Cup with the AHL's Charlotte Checkers last spring, and the Buffalo native spent his day with the Cup as a Buffalo native should: with copious amounts of chicken wings, courtesy of Bar Bill Tavern in East Aurora.

Just read a few articles on Pots. Little did I know that he has broken a leg three times in his short career. Amazing he has gone this far. Hope he gets a shot with the Ducks.

So, Checkers training camp starts tomorrow? I'm guessing several Ahl players get in final practice today, then weeded out to report to Charlotte?

2 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So, Checkers training camp starts tomorrow? I'm guessing several Ahl players get in final practice today, then weeded out to report to Charlotte?

I bet we see 10-15 cut today.  Necas, Gauthier, Kuokkanen or Geekie, Bishop, 2 extra defenders, and Ned stay, is my guess.

The Checkers will have a chance to add 3-4 big players to the roster on PTOs / contract this season.

Bokk- PTO

Cotton- PTO

Sellgren- Contract already

Zimmer/Felipe/Martin-PTO

Can Bokk play now? 

Also, I've long followed Cotton. I think he can be a good AHL player and a long shot NHL player. Late rounder. Good size. 

37 minutes ago, remkin said:

Can Bokk play now? 

Also, I've long followed Cotton. I think he can be a good AHL player and a long shot NHL player. Late rounder. Good size. 

He could he was drafted from a European team. We’d have to pay a transfer fee to buyout his last year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago

The season kicks off in Hartford tonight, here's everything you need to know before the opener!

You can tune in to every broadcast this season with a subscription to the league’s streaming platform AHLTV. For this weekend, however, the league is letting you tune in for free!

Checkers Jayson Shaya writes his "10 thoughts" during the season. There's almost always at least one or two that are interesting from a prospects point of view.

Here's all 10: http://gocheckers.com/articles/features/shaya-s-10-thoughts-oct-8-2019

Here's the ones that I found most interesting from a prospect point of view:

2. New captain Roland McKeown, who received praise for his NHL training camp, put up three assists over the weekend. There’s never been a more consistent defenseman in team history than Roland and he’s starting the season leading by example.

3. A scout who saw both Charlotte games over the weekend singled out Eetu Luostarinen as a player to watch.

4. Morgan Geekie, who was the team’s first line centerman during the Cup run, looks even more poised and confident to start the year. He’s going to make a serious case for an NHL call-up and when it comes it will be much deserved.

9. After two games, it’s evident to me that Chase Priskie was a great pickup by the Canes. It takes a while to adjust to the pro game from college but judging by this weekend, Chase has all the tools necessary to make it happen.

• Like 2

First Chex game of the season for me tonight, 4-1 over Bridgeport.  Pretty chippy for much of the game, particularly Sheppard, Horvat, and Gibbons.  2 goals for Geekie - obviously he was the highlight tonight.  Bishop looked good as well of course, as did Eetu.  No cherry-picking from Kuok tonight - he was getting into the play on both sides of the puck, though he didn't really stand out in doing so.  Schilkey missed an absolute gimme but since he's with Bridgeport now, that was just fine with me.  McKeown looked good when he wasn't in the box but 3 or 4 minor penalties didn't do much to contribute to the win.  Sheppard and Forsling looked good on D while Bean had a rough night outside of about 2 plays - there was definitely a 'Jesus, Bean' moment or two.  Claesson actually looked good as well, while Priskie was mostly invisible.  Forsberg in net and he was solid - allowed one but on a missed assignment from Bean.  3 stars 3 Gibbons, 2 Forsberg, 1 Geekie, 

• Like 2

2 games played each.

Forsberg: 2-0, .953, 1.50 GAA

Ned: 0-2, .830. 4.14 GAA

Yes, it's early. Things will even out. Just mildly interesting. Ned was AHL goalie of the year last year, he'll come around. But I'm just not counting Forsberg out.

I'm not really surprised that Ned's numbers have tanked post dream team. Considering we brought in a ton of backup options, I'm thinking the Canes are also not surprised.

Edited by legend-1

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

I'm not really surprised that Ned's numbers have tanked post dream team. Considering we brought in a ton of backup options, I'm thinking the Canes are also not surprised.

Just to be clear: you're thinking a lot of Ned's success last year may have been due to the team behind him rather than just his play in goal?  And that the Committee may have realized that and made roster decisions accordingly?  [I haven't seen enough of Ned to have an opinion either way]

If that is the case, the committee made a huge mistake not capitalizing on his trade value.

IMO, the committee got the value they could have out of CdH.  

based on Forslund’s EOY talking points, you don’t want 2 goalies with similar styles on the team and the committee was going that way.  Ned wasn’t earmarked for a backup with Mrazek here.  Maybe they grabbed Forsberg as well to give them someone who could be a long term backup if Reimer didn’t pan out.  

I think Ned is screwing his chance to force the committee to reconsider Mrazek next season. 

Checkers came out with a vengeance yesterday and scored 4 in the first.

Eetu, Geekie, and Gauthier have 4 goals so far.

Priskie scored his first.

Checkers are still missing two big forwards in Mattheos and Smallman.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1