The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Charlotte Checkers 2019-2020

Checkers win 3-2 in a shootout.

Priskie scored a shorty.

Kyle Wood scored the 2nd goal and then the winning shootout goal as the 7th Checker to attempt.

Geekie, Priskie, Gauthier, Eetu, Bean, and McGinn all attempted, in that order, before Wood and failed to convert.

Kuok missed an in game penalty shot.

Forsberg stopped 24 of 26 and all 7 shootout attempts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Working player development?

Possibly.  They showed him on the jumbotron and he waved.  I couldn't tell where in the stands he was.

Seemed like every time the Checkers got anything going at all, they ended up in the penalty box.  Jamie McGinn (i had actually forgottten about that signing until seeing him in warmups) didn't even make it through the first period before picking up a non-reciprocated 5-minute major and game misconduct.  Wish i could have seen that one a little better because it looked like a good hit from my perspective, but we were high up this time and i got little from the one just-as-high replay they showed as well.  Nobody really stood out in any fashion good or bad except Ned, who gave the guys a chance to win despite facing 42 shots, including 24 in the 2nd.  Team was sharp to start but after losing McGinn, they were fair-to-middling.  Finally turned it back on in the last 2 minutes with Ned pulled for the extra attacker, but too little too late.  Actually thought it might happen but Kuok lost an edge and lost possession of the puck and the Phantoms cleared the zone, the end.

Crazy Checkers stat:

ned is 0-4-0 this season.

Checkers 3-2 loss on Saturday included them blowing a lead they carried into the third.  The Checkers were 49-0-0 when leading after two last season.  WOW.

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Crazy Checkers stat:

ned is 0-4-0 this season.

Checkers 3-2 loss on Saturday included them blowing a lead they carried into the third.  The Checkers were 49-0-0 when leading after two last season.  WOW.

They did blow it, but Ned was the only reason they had it to start with.  The rest of the team only showed up for about 20 minutes, 18 of them at the start of the game and the other 2 at the end.  Ned didn't get a lot of help the rest of the way.

Realm, please keep sharing your insights regarding your observations during/after Checkers games.

I, for one, really appreciate it.

Thanks. 👍🏻

• Like 4

Why would they slap an A on a PTO guy? Then watch em walk out the door, gotta be great for the locker room.

Edited by legend-1

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

Why would slap an A on a PTO guy? Then watch em walk out the door, gotta be great for the locker room.

Did he want a shot at the NHL and we were only interested in him as an emergency call up?

I've been to 2 games this season - Gibbons and Claesson had the As at the first game, McGinn and Bishop the second.

I'm confused as well.  His PTO was only with the Chex, right?  Wouldn't have surprised me at all to see the Canes extend him an offer and give him a chance in Raleigh.  Would it have been permanent?  Probably not, but 2 games into it is pretty quick to give up on the possibility.

Ned got his first win of the season!!  Checkers won 2-1 last night against Springfield.

Ned stopped 20 of 21. 

Ned has turned his season around in the last 3 games with .929, .939, and .952 save percentage, respectively.  Those three games have brought his sv% UP to .885. That is very good news.

The team (really the offensive prospects) need to get their offensive games going.  Not a lot of scoring outside of the veterans.  

• Like 1

Ahead of their extended road trip, the Checkers have recalled Spencer Smallman from the ECHL’s Greenville Swamp Rabbits.

The 23-year-old appeared in three games for the Swamp Rabbits, picking up a goal and an assist along the way

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

Ahead of their extended road trip, the Checkers have recalled Spencer Smallman from the ECHL’s Greenville Swamp Rabbits.

The 23-year-old appeared in three games for the Swamp Rabbits, picking up a goal and an assist along the way

Welp Kjun, you can't keep a good man down. His stock just went back up a bit. Who knows?

Shaya in his 10 thoughts said both goalies in Charlotte have been playing very well, and Ned has been playing the best hockey of his career.

• Like 1

NHL.com posted their “AHL Notebook” segment, focusing on 5 defenseman who may be next/NHL ready.

#2: Jake Bean

#4: Chase Priskie

Two of the top five defenseman in the AHL, not bad. Let’s hope for their continued development.

• Like 2

Shaya’s thoughts

been a while since we posted about the Checkers.  They are a mix bag because of the amount of turnover.

Koukkanen has put up 9 points over the last 9 games

Gauthier looks motivated since being sent back down

Smallman is finally healthy and scored his AHL first goal

Nes has respectable 2.59 GAA but a .900 sv percentage 

Checkers are 5th points and 4th in points percentage by 1-thousandth in the division.

• Like 1

Given all the angst around Jake Gardiner and to a lesser extent TVR, particularly after the Leafs game, I'm curious people's thoughts on elevating Jake Bean at some point.  I went to all 6 of the Checkers games this last homestand and, while I'm definitely not an expert by any stretch, to me he looks the part.  I focus on him a lot when he's on the ice and really like what I see, good, dare I say, elegant skater, seems to have both a solid offensive and defensive game.  Would love to hear people's thoughts on what timing for him might be and even other folks opinion that have watched him this year for the Checkers. 

Bean should be getting close. I expect we would like to get him the remainder of this season in Charlotte.