The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Charlotte Checkers 2019-2020

Checkers are 10-4 since December 1st and riding a 5 game winning streak. They are currently third in their division by points percentage, 5th in points.  They are behind the 3rd and 4th teams by 4 and 3 points respectively with 4 less games played. 

Gauthier is tied for the lead with 22 points (Bean and Kuokkanen) despite playing 5 less games than most of the team. He has 16 goals and 6 assists.  Priskie has 21 points.

*edit* Gauthier took whatever was told to him on the last send down very seriously.  He has 6 goals and 4 assists in 6 games since he was sent back down to Charlotte.  might be time for a new look for him.  

One prospect that no one heard of that could get a shot as the roster is Steve Lorentz.  24 year old LW who has 20 points in 34 games and is one of only a few in the positive players for the Checkers. 

Ned has had an up and down 6 weeks but his overall stats are more positive with a 2.36 GAA and .910 sv %.

Edited by gocanes0506
Gauthier is on fire.
  • Like 1

The biggest casualty of  JW return could be Gauthier. I think he should have stayed up longer last time and agree he should get another look.

Super happy to see them putting it together.  With all the changeover it was expected it might take a little time for them to find their way.

From the Checker's Website:

4) GOAT KEEPS GOING

Julien Gauthier’s keeps on filling the scoresheet, lighting the lamp in Friday’s contest to move his point streak to nine games. That’s the longest by a Checker this season and three away from the franchise record of 12....

• Julien Gauthier is tied for fifth in the AHL in goals (18) and tied for sixth in power-play goals (7)

With J Williams on the cusp of pushing a regular roster player to the press-box, it's hard to see an opening for Goat unless we get the injury bug. But he is putting the puck into the net with regularity in Charlotte. I'd be interested in Realm and our Charlotte members take on his total game, because statistically he has a lot of room for improvement defensively and in terms of at least a little playmaking:

His plus/minus, at -5 is 5th from the bottom of the team, and last year he finished 3rd from the bottom. And while he leads the team in goals, he is #14 in assists with only 7. 

This is a power forward who's mission will be to score goals. But IMO we are looking for 'plus' players (even if we don't use the actual +/- stat to determine it). And to play in the NHL you have to at least be able to make a clean pass. I'm still guessing that the organization is telling him that he's pretty much there on goals, but needs to pick up those other areas to make the team next year. 

• Like 1

A couple of other notables from that write up:

• Chase Priskie is tied for 12th among AHL rookies in scoring (22), tied for third in assists (17) and tied for third in power-play assists. He is also tied for second among rookie defensemen and tied for 13th among all league defensemen in scoring
  • Jake Bean is tied for seventh among AHL defensemen in scoring (24)

Gauthier is best served to be with a guy like Necas or Turbo who are true pass first players. Gauthier isn’t going to get many assists outside of someone cleaning up a rebound he created. 

If we try to stick him with Staal and Foegele next season, he wont be overly productive

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Gauthier is best served to be with a guy like Necas or Turbo who are true pass first players. Gauthier isn’t going to get many assists outside of someone cleaning up a rebound he created. 

If we try to stick him with Staal and Foegele next season, he wont be overly productive

Agree. I do think Gauthier can make some slick primary assists around the net, but mostly he's a power forward who will need to cash in on the playmaking of others as you mention. Gauthier with Staal especially...it might seem tempting since they're both big and heavy, but I agree, that would not be good. 

I just think we can use this time to work on his game away from the puck too, which might have been harder had we been thinner and put him in the NHL sooner. Use this AHL time to get that stuff better.

Checkers win again 4-1, 8-2 in their last 10.

they beat the Hershey Bears who is 2nd in the division (6 points behind).  Checkers play them again tonight.  With the win the Checkers moved into 4th place in the division. They are 2 points behind 3rd with 2 magic beans on the 2nd and 3rd place team.

Kaski, our acquisition when we traded Wood, scored two.  He had 2 Gs and 3 As in 19 games with the Grand Rapids team. In the 12 games in Charlotte, he has 4 Gs and 4 assists.  He is a 24 year old RHD from Finland playing his first season on North American ice (for those keeping track at home).  He is on a one year ELC. Kaski won the award for being SM-Liiga’s best player last year. He had 19 goals and 51 points in 59 games last season. He was also on Finland’s gold medal WC squad last year as well.

Lorentz potted another goal (EN) and added an assist. Kuokkanen had 3 assists. Bean had two assists.

Forsberg stopped 26 of 27.

big game tonight in order to get 2 points closer to 2nd place.  Vanecek is a tough goalie though. Ned will have to be on his game.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

Wonder how Geekie has looked. He was a great hope for this year, but his stat line, while not terrible, doesn't jump off the page and he's -13, which is solidly last on the team. 

Rem - I thought Geekie was pretty invisible last night.  He took a hard shot at one point and missed a little time, I think it was in the 2nd period but then came back. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Checkers win again 4-1, 8-2 in their last 10.

they beat the Hershey Bears who is 2nd in the division (6 points behind).  Checkers play them again tonight.  With the win the Checkers moved into 4th place in the division. They are 2 points behind 3rd with 2 magic beans on the 2nd and 3rd place team.

Kaski, our acquisition when we traded Wood, scored two.  He had 2 Gs and 3 As in 19 games with the Grand Rapids team. In the 12 games in Charlotte, he has 4 Gs and 4 assists.  He is a 24 year old RHD from Finland playing his first season on North American ice (for those keeping track at home).  He is on a one year ELC. Kaski won the award for being SM-Liiga’s best player last year. He had 19 goals and 51 points in 59 games last season. He was also on Finland’s gold medal WC squad last year as well.

Lorentz potted another goal (EN) and added an assist. Kuokkanen had 3 assists. Bean had two assists.

Forsberg stopped 26 of 27.

big game tonight in order to get 2 points closer to 2nd place.  Vanecek is a tough goalie though. Ned will have to be on his game.

When I looked up possible performance bonuses I was surprised to see that Kaski could earn up to $850k, same as Priske and more than any other young Cane except Svech.  I didn't even recognize the name and had to look him up to make sure it wasn't a mistake.  Yup, he was MVP of the top league in Finland last season as a 23yo defenseman.  

Knowing nothing about our yutes except what I read, with Bean, Priske, and Kaski (still have no clue what's up with McKeown), seems like the Canes have a very promising pool of potential NHL defensemen.  

Re: Goat’s +/-, like Ovechkin, he scores a lot on the PP. Ovie was -14 coming into our game the other night even though he had something like 26 goals. Pretty sure Ovie didn’t have 14 PP goals though so would still be a minus player. Goat should be slightly on the plus side if PO gals were counted.

5 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

When I looked up possible performance bonuses I was surprised to see that Kaski could earn up to $850k, same as Priske and more than any other young Cane except Svech.  I didn't even recognize the name and had to look him up to make sure it wasn't a mistake.  Yup, he was MVP of the top league in Finland last season as a 23yo defenseman.  

Knowing nothing about our yutes except what I read, with Bean, Priske, and Kaski (still have no clue what's up with McKeown), seems like the Canes have a very promising pool of potential NHL defensemen.  

It seems he is similar to a Maenalanen late blooming Finnish type.  Will Kaski stay after this season if not given a real shot at the NHL?  We’ll find out.

8 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

It seems he is similar to a Maenalanen late blooming Finnish type.  Will Kaski stay after this season if not given a real shot at the NHL?  We’ll find out.

RFA next year, so it's re-up with Canes org or back to Finland.  Be interesting to hear from Iron Lion and Realm as to how he's looked so far.

6 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

RFA next year, so it's re-up with Canes org or back to Finland.  Be interesting to hear from Iron Lion and Realm as to how he's looked so far.

From the HF board they are saying he is smooth skater, makes sharp passes, booming shot but an average player in his own end.  He looks better than Priskie so far and has taken Priskie’s top line time.  That expected though, Priskie is 3 years younger and came from the NCAA.  Kaski has been polished in the top Finnish league.

If the critique of Kaski is true, it is concerning that he is only average on defense in the AHL.  

12 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Re: Goat’s +/-, like Ovechkin, he scores a lot on the PP. Ovie was -14 coming into our game the other night even though he had something like 26 goals. Pretty sure Ovie didn’t have 14 PP goals though so would still be a minus player. Goat should be slightly on the plus side if PO gals were counted.

The flipside of that is that he's giving all of his pp points back 5 on 5. Of course the +/- is the roughest of stats and has to be matched with the eyeball test, but I would venture that Goat is also hurt 5 on 5 by that low assist total. I wonder how many of his assists are 5 on 5. Scoring goals will get the brass's attention, but it sure seems that the committee wants 200 foot players in the NHL. 

Last night was interesting, looked great for 55 minutes, then all heck broke loose and we held on against the extra man with some good opportunities for Hershey.  Kuokk with 3 assists for the 2nd night in a row, Lorentz with 2 goals and continued goal production from our defensemen (Bean and Kaski last night).  One other thing that I noticed was Goat actually showed some good speed for a big guy, at least 2 separate instances where he either outskated a defensemen to a puck or just plain blew past the defensemen.  Only AHL defenders I know, but I guess I hadn't really noticed those kind of jets from him previously.  The last thing I'll say is we have a lot of good defensemen when you consider that Claesson is probably our 6th d-man with Bean, McKeown, Kaski, Priskie and Forsling.  Good goaltenders and good defensemen sounds like a pretty good recipe for success in the post-season, hopefully/maybe they can have another fun playoff run this year.

• Like 1

I know we probably go with Fleury initially with Dougie out, but if we want more offense from the back end, wonder how ready Bean is? Or Priskie

49 minutes ago, remkin said:

I know we probably go with Fleury initially with Dougie out, but if we want more offense from the back end, wonder how ready Bean is? Or Priskie

Kaski took over for Priskie on the top line. We would probably see Kaski before Priskie.