The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Charlotte Checkers 2019-2020

Does Rod want a right shot D from Charlotte?  Kaski, or what about McKeown?  If side doesn't matter, Bean, or what about Forsling who does have 122 NHL games under his belt?

Forsberg let up 2 quickies in the 3rd

Bean (kuok assisted) scored with 45 seconds left to tie it up.

lorentz scored the only SO goal in the 5th round.

3 straight 3 point games for Kuokkanen.

Hartford (1st) and Hershey (2nd) went to OT. Booo.  Hershey won.  6 points out of first and 3 out of 2nd. Still have 2 games in hand.

Edited by gocanes0506

Another good day for the Checkers, 7-3 winners. Geekie and Lorenz each with 2 goals. Checkers have now won 15 of their last 18. Good things happening up and down the system today!

• Like 3

Checkers won, as Iron Lion stated.  Ned struggled stopping 17 of 20.  Defense was swarming as Toronto only had 11 shots through 56 minutes (Ned stopped only 8). 

No points from Kuokkanen breaking his 3 straight 3 point games.

Checkers are 4 points out of 2nd and 1st.  One game in hand compared to 1st place Hartford. 2 games in hand compared to Hershey.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Checkers lost the last 2 against the Pens WBS affiliate 5-4 and 4-2.   

And tonight’s loss was brought to you by the refs

Checkers win 4-3.  Went up 4-1 and then came out flat in third.

Bean had 2 assists

Gauthier scored a shorty

Geekie 1 goal and 1 assist

Kaski had a rocket of a PP goal

ned stopped 31 of 34

Edited by gocanes0506

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Went up 4-1 and then came out flat in third.

Well, they have a good example in Raleigh

• Like 1

Checkers are back to 6th in points, 4th in points percentage.  Their division is tight too. We have played 2-3 games less than 2-5 in the standings. Even if they win all 3, the Checkers would move up to third. Hartford (1st) and Hershey (2nd) are a beast this season. 

• Like 1

From Shaya's 10 thoughts:

7. Morgan Geekie has the third-longest point streak in franchise history at 11 games. He’s one game behind both Gregg McKegg and Ryan Murphy. But it’s his play away from the puck and his compete level that head coach Ryan Warsofsky praised last week during pregame interviews. All of this is a great sign for a kid working extremely hard at every aspect of the game.

Those of us who follow the prospects (a few of us anyways) know that Geekie is quietly one of our better center prospects. He wasn't putting numbers up early, but apparently is getting it together. Don't see him w/ the big club this year, but you can't have too many centers. 

• Like 1

Checkers are up 5-0 late.  Ned has faced 13 shots late into the third.

Geekie, Gust, and Forsling have s G and an assist. Gauthier and Kuokkanen scored. Kaski has 2 assists.

edit: 6-0 win. Ned faced 14 shots. Kaski scored late in third for a 3 point night.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Checkers are up 5-0 late.  Ned has faced 13 shots late into the third.

Geekie, Gust, and Forsling have s G and an assist. Gauthier and Kuokkanen scored. Kaski has 2 assists.

edit: 6-0 win. Ned faced 14 shots. Kaski scored late in third for a 3 point night.

Six goals is impressive.  But so is giving up just 14 shots against.

Another solid win for the Checkers last night, 4-2 over a good Rochester team.  Ned was solid, both goals conceded were really nicely worked by Rochester.  Gautier with 2 goals (second one an EN), the first one was again created with speed, which I know people have questions about with him, where he just outraced and split 2 defensemen to the puck and finished.  He's not a burner, but I do think he has better wheels than people are giving him credit for and has demonstrated such twice now in the last couple of games I've been at. 

• Like 1

Charlotte wins again.

5-2. they dropped all 5 in the 2nd.

Bean 3 assists, now 2nd in scoring among AHL defenders 

Gauthier scored again (26) and an assist

Mattheos got two assists on his 2nd game back!

Derek Sheppard scored his first as a Checkers 

Forsberg worked hard stopping 42 of 44.

Edited by gocanes0506

Goat is #2 in the AHL in goals per game with at least 40 games. He's number 3 in total goal with 2 games in hand and one less goal than #2. 

In fairness he has way less assists than the other top scorers, but he is putting the puck into the net in abundance.

Fun with numbers. Gauthier is on pace for 51 goals over 82 AHL games. If one applies the conversion factor AHL to NHL (.47) then Gauthier would project to score 24 goals right now in the NHL. That is top 6.

41 minutes ago, remkin said:

Goat is #2 in the AHL in goals per game with at least 40 games. He's number 3 in total goal with 2 games in hand and one less goal than #2. 

In fairness he has way less assists than the other top scorers, but he is putting the puck into the net in abundance.

Fun with numbers. Gauthier is on pace for 51 goals over 82 AHL games. If one applies the conversion factor AHL to NHL (.47) then Gauthier would project to score 24 goals right now in the NHL. That is top 6.

That's fun to do, but I've become a bit more skeptical of the conversion because of two words: Saarela and Zykov. :huh: (I do get that Goat's game is very different from the other 2)

I've been one of our more conservative posters when it comes to Goat.  For most of his career it seems like he's been bigger / more physically developed than his opponents, and I've questioned how much that contributed to his success and how he would do when "matched" physically.  So I've wanted to see him carefully developed before throwing him into the NHL. Having said all that, it may finally be time.   

Edited by LakeLivin

39 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

That's fun to do, but I've become a bit more skeptical of the conversion because of two words: Saarela and Zykov. :huh: (I do get that Goat's game is very different from the other 2)

I've been one of our more conservative posters when it comes to Goat.  For most of his career it seems like he's been bigger / more physically developed than his opponents, and I've questioned how much that contributed to his success and how he would do when "matched" physically.  So I've wanted to see him carefully developed before throwing him into the NHL. Having said all that, it may finally be time.   

Yeah even the guy who came up with these conversion points out that the range for individuals is pretty big and that it's really a better measure of the general quality of the leagues than predicting actual NHL outcomes for individual players. 

That said, I don't know of a better metric. Everything else is pure eyeballs and opinion. THAT said, my eyeballs on Gauthier are more optimistic than some. He has the moves and hands and shot that are evident in viewings and youtube highlights to be far more than a big body leaning on smaller guys. IMO he has the chops to score at the NHL level. He has higher end individual puck skills and hands that are far softer than a certain center we all know.

THAT said, his weaknesses become more apparent too. This is not a playmaker. He can make slick passes in close around the net, but in the flow of the game? No. This is a pure power forward. Get him the puck and either look for a rebound or get back on D. He is shoot first, second and third. 

THAT said, while we could use a playmaking 2C, we are also short on big power forward type wingers with puck skills. 

Anyways, he looked good in camp, started a little slow back in Charlotte, but is now coming on like a freight train. I would not mind seeing him get a few games in Raleigh.

• Like 1