The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Charlotte Checkers 2019-2020

It didn’t look like the fight was “violent” it looked like Sheppard happened to catch Kessy in the right place.

Kessy is a big fighter.  This wasn’t Sheppard picking on a non-fighter.

• Like 2

Kinkaids been loaned to Charlotte, another goaltending wreck. I feel moderately confident our prospects are at least as good as the goaltending wrecks their bringing in.

Checkers won 6-3 yesterday against Hershey.

Geekie with a hat trick and an assist

Mattheos with 2 goals 

Bean with 3 assists

Lorentz with the other goal

Kinkaid stopped 28 of 31

checkers have 68 points and are 4th in the division. They are 5 and 6 points behind 3rd and 2nd place, respectfully, with one bean.  They are 8 points behind the leading Bears with 2 beans.

The lack of loser points are hurting the Checkers too.  They have as many / more regulation wins / regulation & overtime wins as any one else in the division. The main difference in the top 4 slots is OT losses or SO losses.  Checkers don’t have a SO loss this season. Hartford, the third place team, has one more OT loss and 5 SO losses this season.

With Zimmer’s season over at Wisconsin, he signed a PTO.  Unless he blows it up, I doubt he gets a contract.  Zimmer should be the first of a few drafted / traded for players that get a PTO over the next month.

we signed two UFA defenders to a PTO as well.

From TheHockeyNews:   https://thehockeynews.com/video/podcast-video/article/hurricanes-prospect-jake-bean-could-be-a-target-worth-pursuing-for-seattle

Hurricanes prospect Jake Bean could be a target worth pursuing for Seattle

Jake Bean has been electric in the AHL this season, but he hasn't found his way into full-time NHL duty. With Seattle set to join the league in 2021-22, the newest expansion team could be a perfect landing spot for Bean.

8 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

From TheHockeyNews:   https://thehockeynews.com/video/podcast-video/article/hurricanes-prospect-jake-bean-could-be-a-target-worth-pursuing-for-seattle

Hurricanes prospect Jake Bean could be a target worth pursuing for Seattle

Jake Bean has been electric in the AHL this season, but he hasn't found his way into full-time NHL duty. With Seattle set to join the league in 2021-22, the newest expansion team could be a perfect landing spot for Bean.

Well Seattle's GM did draft Bean. 

38 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Bean will not be eligible for being taken by Seattle, will he?

CapFriendly is showing Bean (and Geekie) as not being exempt, but fortunately Necas is.  At one point I knew the rules around the Vegas draft but I've long since forgotten the details, lol. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

CapFriendly is showing Bean (and Geekie) as not being exempt, but fortunately Necas is.

Not so quick on Necas.

It also says that players with 40/70 NHL/AHL games played requirement will not be considered until the beginning of the 2019-20 season. Necas is already beyond that in pro games and will not be exempt.

25 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

Not so quick on Necas.

It also says that players with 40/70 NHL/AHL games played requirement will not be considered until the beginning of the 2019-20 season. Necas is already beyond that in pro games and will not be exempt.

I believe the 40/70 games criteria applies to the requirement to expose experienced players rather than helping define who is exempt.

But I think you're right that Necas probably won't be exempt.  I only say probably because on NHL.com it says the following:

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.)

If that turned out to be the rule, Necas will be a second year NHL player next year, so according to the above he'd presumably be exempt,   But everything else I read, including some other NHL sites, define it using the term "first and second year pros", which counts AHL time as well as NHL time (not sure about foreign pro leagues).  

Here's how CapFriently lists it:

* All players who have accrued two or less professional seasons at the end of the 2020-21 season, as well as all unsigned draft choices appearing on the teams reserve list, will be exempt from the upcoming expansion draft.

And a really detailed article I saw specifically talks about AHL time counting against exemptions status.  

* First- or Second-Year Pro: Any player who has not completed two full seasons as a professional. These players are exempt.

Now, notice the term “professional”. This includes both the NHL and AHL. So if a player has completed two seasons with the farm team, and is not protected by their team, they’re fair game. It’s very possible that this could be beneficial for Seattle, and pay particular attention to this aspect of the rules with respect to goaltenders.

Bottom line: I'm guessing we'll end up needing to protect Necas. 

7 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Necas will be exempt

Go, what are you basing that on?  I'm not arguing it, just curious given the conflicting criteria I've seen.

14 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Go, what are you basing that on?  I'm not arguing it, just curious given the conflicting criteria I've seen.

He will be a 2nd year professional=exempt.  No matter what DW says, thats why he didn’t play last season.

the 40/70 rule applies the minimum requirement of exposure not minimum to be eligible.

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

He will be a 2nd year professional=exempt.  No matter what DW says, thats why he didn’t play last season.

the 40/70 rule applies the minimum requirement of exposure not minimum to be eligible.

Hopefully that's a definite.  The only reason I'm not 100% is that I've seen several articles that specifically say that AHL time counts as "professional".    

21 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Hopefully that's a definite.  The only reason I'm not 100% is that I've seen several articles that specifically say that AHL time counts as "professional".    

The weird thing about necas is his professional clock did not start until this season. This is his 1st year of his ELC even though he technically used it last season too.

most players clock starts when they hit Charlotte.  The European drafted folks are different.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

The weird thing about necas is his professional clock did not start until this season. This is his 1st year of his ELC even though he technically used it last season too.

most players clock starts when they hit Charlotte.  The European drafted folks are different.  

Ah, that may be why CapFriendly lists Necas as being exempt but not Geekie or Bean.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Ah, that may be why CapFriendly lists Necas as being exempt but not Geekie or Bean.

Bean and Geekie were 20 when they hit the Ahl and their clocks start, due to the OHL/ WHL rule. 

Necas (like Kuokkanen) hit the Ahl at 19 so their  clock didn’t start until they are 20.  Its a weird loophole for Europeans.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Bean and Geekie were 20 when they hit the Ahl and their clocks start, due to the OHL/ WHL rule. 

Necas (like Kuokkanen) hit the Ahl at 19 so their  clock didn’t start until they are 20.  Its a weird loophole for Europeans.

One more thing though, do you know for sure that the rule for expansion exemption is the same one as the rules for contracts?  

5 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

One more thing though, do you know for sure that the rule for expansion exemption is the same one as the rules for contracts?  

Being DW talked about Necas being exempt last season, I would be highly surprised if they aren’t the same.

7 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Being DW talked about Necas being exempt last season, I would be highly surprised if they aren’t the same.

Thanks, I wasn't aware that DW said that.  A lot may depend on what happens with Dougie, but a Necas exemption could be the difference between protecting someone like Geekie (if he continues to show he could be an integral piece going forward :crossfingers:).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Thanks, I wasn't aware that DW said that.  A lot may depend on what happens with Dougie, but a Necas exemption could be the difference between protecting someone like Geekie (if he continues to show he could be an integral piece going forward :crossfingers:).

A media person brought up being expansion roster exempt as a reason for Necas going to the AHL last season to DW and TD. They quickly smacked that down and said they don’t care about that.  (I don’t believe it but they said it). Cant find the quote right now.