The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac82-ch1

Williams decision

Any thoughts as to what Justin Williams will do before Monday? I read that he said he didn't want to leave because he has made a home here, and didn't want to go anywhere. O guess we will have to wait and see!

I'm thinking he's leaning toward 1 more year as he still has unfinished business here. Whatever, he'll not sign anywhere else so either play for us or retire?

35 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

If I am him I want to see if the team improves in the off season. If I dont think we have a chance, I probably dont come back.

So you don't think we have improved this off season?  Once PM and Aho are signed I think we have.

Even though I think he eventually re-ups another reason for him to wait is to see what his value is. I guess he could have been talking, but waiting until 12PM tomorrow or shortly thereafter puts at least a little pressure on TD to come with a better offer. I'm not suggesting it's all about money at this point, but guys also want to be valued fairly, relative to other players and teammates. 

If he's waiting to see how good the team could be, he'd need to wait until we land a goalie.

Rem, I don't think JW is holding negotiations up over money. He said if he plays, it will be as a Cane. I think he it is more likely a similar situation to Luongo, seeing how the body feels as he begins to get ready for the season. If he feels like it is good, he can sign then and one less spot for a prospect. I believe DW and committee have probably had conversations with JW and have set a rough price so they know the room they have to work with looking for extra pieces.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Even though I think he eventually re-ups another reason for him to wait is to see what his value is. I guess he could have been talking, but waiting until 12PM tomorrow or shortly thereafter puts at least a little pressure on TD to come with a better offer. I'm not suggesting it's all about money at this point, but guys also want to be valued fairly, relative to other players and teammates. 

If he's waiting to see how good the team could be, he'd need to wait until we land a goalie.

I don't see any reason for Willy to make a decision by Monday; he's either going to re-sign with the Canes or retire.  But if he does come back, rather than putting pressure on the Canes for a bigger contract, I'd bet that he'd opt to maximize talent on the roster rather than to maximize his salary.  If he comes back he's not doing it for money, he's doing it to win.    

edit: DDK snuck in before me as I was typing, lol

Edited by LakeLivin

4 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I don't see any reason for Willy to make a decision by Monday; he's either going to re-sign with the Canes or retire.  But if he does come back, rather than putting pressure on the Canes for a bigger contract, I'd bet that he'd opt to maximize talent on the roster rather than to maximize his salary.  If he comes back he's not doing it for money, he's doing it to win.    

edit: DDK snuck in before me as I was typing, lol

Could be, but players want to be valued and just waiting a little while could allow him to end up with the Canes and be paid more. But from everything I've heard, it's partly about money, but mostly about being fairly valued. I don't think this is his top concern, but to end up in the same place and be paid more for just waiting a couple of days...

I've never heard anything about him waiting to see what moves we make. It's been really vague, but the implication was more, does he want to put his body through another season. We're all speculating here. 

It really could be all of the above. No reason to go before tomorrow.

Williams has said in several interviews his decision would be based on a family decision and his belief that he can still give 100 percent because nothing less than 100 percent is acceptable to him. In one interview (I can't find it now) he indicated he hadn't said he would never play for another team. The general belief is if he doesn't re-sign with the Hurricanes he will retire but I don't think that should be taken as an absolute.

He has a lot to think about and I think the team will be patient, to a point and allow JW his time to make sure. He has shown us he can still play and he can be a leader. I hope he decides to give us at least one more year.

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see what his contract will be if he comes back.  generally 23goals and 50something points is worth 5-7mil these days.  I don't think he would ask for that but probably in the 4mil ball park.  Definitely worth it, He brought so much to the team and the fans this year.  We need you Willy, cmon, lets get the cup in the next year or two and you go out on top as  a legend in Carolina!(I know he already is but imagine that). 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

He would probably make a good coach.  Too bad we don't have an opening in the minors...

HC job for Chex is vacant since Velucci went to baby Pens.

I ran into J Willy’s dad in Dallas at the Stars game in February and he told me that Justin was building a house down in Raleigh...so no matter what, he’s retiring to Raleigh.

9 hours ago, reelpirate5 said:

So you don't think we have improved this off season?  Once PM and Aho are signed I think we have.

For a fleeting second i thought you meant Paul Maurice and i was about to go running for the hills.

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

For a fleeting second i thought you meant Paul Maurice and i was about to go running for the hills.

He and Lavi will be Rod’s new assistants ;)

3 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Me and Mrs. Storm were in Winnipeg a couple weeks ago and a car pulled past us with Winnipeg Jets flags flying from each window.  Mrs. Storm says, “Take your flags down dude, the playoffs have been over for you for a month!”

I deadpan, “He can’t, didn’t you see who’s car that was?  It was Paul Maurice!” 😂

• Like 1

JW, anybody home?  Hello?  How's the cabin up in Ontario?  Catching many fish?

• Like 1

I love Williams but it's time for him to edit or get off the pot - the team needs to know what he's going to do so they can move forward one way or the other.  C'mon JW...

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 1:59 PM, sleekfeeder said:

Who's the Captain if JWill retires?

Martinook. He'll have plenty to say to the team 😃

• Like 2