The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac82-ch1

Williams decision

35 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

If by august  Williams has not signed  a contract  . It's a safe bet he will retire .  just a hunch . 

Could pull a Fisher if we are doing well in the standings 

One other thing from the Adam Gold podcast. Adam has texted Williams, and while he can't say anything specific, he said he would be shocked if Williams didn't play again next year. He thinks it will be for Carolina, and that right now it's a negotiating thing. Still nothing certain, but odds seem good.

7 hours ago, remkin said:

One other thing from the Adam Gold podcast. Adam has texted Williams, and while he can't say anything specific, he said he would be shocked if Williams didn't play again next year. He thinks it will be for Carolina, and that right now it's a negotiating thing. Still nothing certain, but odds seem good.

If that is true, then it is imperative that the Canes don't try to low ball JW.  If it is a 1 year deal, it should be in the $4.5-5M range.  Once again, in order to do so, and most on this board seem to really want JW here to continue the transformation of this team into a perennial contender, then the team needs to move a contract.  If they could move Reimer and his $3.4M deal, I believe they would, but the trade partner would probably want Carolina to pick up part of the tab.  Moving TVR's $2-2.5M deal may be easier.  If McGinn gets the $2.7M he asked for today, I would say try and move that contract.  Then again, I can not see where he is worth more than Martinook at $2M.  In any case, they need to shuffle the deck and come up with a few bucks.

On 7/18/2019 at 7:43 PM, beboplar said:

If McGinn gets the $2.7M he asked for today, I would say try and move that contract.  Then again, I can not see where he is worth more than Martinook at $2M.  In any case, they need to shuffle the deck and come up with a few bucks.

Well there you go beboplar, now we know that close to $1mil saved here from McGuinn's ask. Williams' watch is now in it's what 30th day, and I just don't agree that if it goes into August he's likely to retire. To me the longer he takes, the more it suggests that he's earnestly trying to push to come back. Further with the mutual respect I believe there is between RBA and JWilly, I just don't think Justin would hold up potentially needing to replace him by waiting to the last minute to announce his retirement.

• Like 1

I'm speculating, but I think there is negotiating going on. I will go further.  I suspect the Canes and Williams have a loose agreement in place and Williams is letting the team get all of the other ducks in a row first. TBH, once everyone is signed, then all eyes will be on Williams: will he or won't he be back. Then, when he is announced to return, there is a bump in interest in the team and everyone is pumped going into the season. 

49 minutes ago, remkin said:

I'm speculating, but I think there is negotiating going on. I will go further.  I suspect the Canes and Williams have a loose agreement in place and Williams is letting the team get all of the other ducks in a row first. TBH, once everyone is signed, then all eyes will be on Williams: will he or won't he be back. Then, when he is announced to return, there is a bump in interest in the team and everyone is pumped going into the season. 

Maybe they roll it out in conjunction with the unveiling of the new road unis. :grin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Well there you go beboplar, now we know that close to $1mil saved here from McGuinn's ask. Williams' watch is now in it's what 30th day, and I just don't agree that if it goes into August he's likely to retire. To me the longer he takes, the more it suggests that he's earnestly trying to push to come back. Further with the mutual respect I believe there is between RBA and JWilly, I just don't think Justin would hold up potentially needing to replace him by waiting to the last minute to announce his retirement.

I think you are right.  JW may be negotiating for a future that extends beyond this season in terms of a place in the organization.  I can't help but be excited for what has transpired this summer not only as it affects the upcoming season, but what a great draft the team had laying the groundwork for the future.  The Canes, especially in the RF years, have been so successful at getting value out of non-1st round picks, and this year's draft pick manipulation, moving down, making moves, yielded what appears to be many possible players to develop into NHL talent.  One more year of showing the way on the ice by JW should go far as a building block to solidifying the culture in Raleigh.

Edited by beboplar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Maybe they roll it out in conjunction with the unveiling of the new road unis. :grin:

Maybe he's wearing the new uni?

• Like 2

Reimer will be gone. Read an article today that the Canes haven't even assigned him a number yet. Haven't heard any press on the guy since his signing. Also read today that Columbus may be needing a goalie since they are relying on two back ups. Reimer to Columbus for a draft pick. Ned gets his shot at backup.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, remkin said:

I suspect the Canes and Williams have a loose agreement in place and Williams is letting the team get all of the other ducks in a row first.

Exactly what I said on the Player Moves thread.

He's not going anywhere. He darn near let the cat out of that bag right after the Canes' went out. He looked momentarily shocked that a reporter had even asked whether he'd be back.

Edited by top-shelf-1

41 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Reimer will be gone. Read an article today that the Canes haven't even assigned him a number yet. Haven't heard any press on the guy since his signing. Also read today that Columbus may be needing a goalie since they are relying on two back ups. Reimer to Columbus for a draft pick. Ned gets his shot at backup.

I do think it's hard to keep Ned down on the farm without at least giving him enough game to prove he is or is not ready. The only pitfall to moving Reimer would come if it turns out he is not.

After winning the best goalie in the ahl award ,  the calder   last year  I think it would send a bad message to development if  the canes didnt at least try their  hand  with Ned  in back up this year .  What  is the worse that could happen ?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Would be interesting, though IMO a bit risky. I'll tell you this, if they'd give us their first rounder? Then Ned better be ready! They could easily drop back into a nice pick and 3 first rounders in that draft would be a good place to be. They won't though. Maybe if we throw a guy in they'd do it. Hmmmm.

We did go out and get Forsberg. So he and Ned could provide two bites at the back-up apple if we did go that way. I still lean to wanting two proven NHL goalies, but if the price was right...it would free up cap space too.

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

Why are we taking about goalies in this thread all of a sudden?

I dont know , maybe  williams  wants to be a goalie  all of a sudden .  Don't kill his dreams man  !!!! lol 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

The subject is not so much about goalies, but how to create (subtract) some salary(ies) to accommodate/reward JW in what may prove to be his final season.  Subtracting Reimer's $3.4M would be EXCELLENT, but one poster mentioned getting a 1st round draft pick back in exchange, and, well, that is not going to happen.  If a trade partner was willing to take on his whole contract, I would think a 3rd or 4th round pick would deserve a "Thanks, it's been a pleasure doing business with you."

Edited by beboplar

5 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Gotta make some Cap room if ya want Williams.

6 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Probably because we recognize that the team has only a few million in cap space and the team probably needs to move space to fit Williams in as it now stands, and Reimer is taking up some space while it seems Forsberg and Ned will have a shot as well, for less money.   

9 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Probably because we recognize that the team has only a few million in cap space and the team probably needs to move space to fit Williams in as it now stands, and Reimer is taking up some space while it seems Forsberg and Ned will have a shot as well, for less money.   

Unless Williams opposes the idea, we need very little space to keep Williams on a performance bonus deal. 

31 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Unless Williams opposes the idea, we need very little space to keep Williams on a performance bonus deal. 

That's the loophole I see us going since he is older than 35, if I understand the rule correctly. That allows a small increment in Cap hit, but the $$ it will take to keep him playing. Still would be nice to move out some salary to allow movement during the year.

34 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

That's the loophole I see us going since he is older than 35, if I understand the rule correctly. That allows a small increment in Cap hit, but the $$ it will take to keep him playing. Still would be nice to move out some salary to allow movement during the year.

Sending Forsling, Bishop, & Gibbons down is 2.3 million in savings giving us 4.8 million. Williams at 1 million with 3.5 million performance for playing 20 games and Maenalenan at 1 million. The Canes would have 2.8 mil left to bring players up as needed and space to acquire 5 million cap hit player at the deadline, if needed.

Edited by gocanes0506