The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac82-ch1

Williams decision

I do wonder if the Boston series got to him.  It went really bad for him.  Was it the pressure of being captain? Was he feeling the age?  Did he give it his all and he realized it wasn't enough?  Was all that enough to make him not want to put his body through that again?

I feel like he gave it his all last year.  I kind of think the Canes are hoping he changes his mind and comes back.  

So if it was a family decision and both kids want him to play? Another push to play again.

Williams put up over 20 goals and 50 points last year. He is far from out of gas. 38 is hockey old for sure, but not unheard of. He is the captain of a fun, young, and good team that has a ton of promise this year (not a team just starting to rebuild). This may not be a big one, but he can keep moving up the all time lists for points, goals, and assists. He's 176 in points, and even a decent season would push him to around 145, and two could get him to 120. 

The playoffs ended badly, but this team is better than last year's team. Svech is going to be substantially better and with Dzingle and Haula, we should be good from the start.

I'm sure he's set for life financially, but not many multi millionaires would pass on a few more million bucks. 

Mainly, so few players go out when they still have game. 

I would be really surprised if he doesn't at least give it one more go. 

Rem, you listed all the pluses of him playing again.  None of us can imagine what it does to the body (and the mind) to do this year after year.  I'm just not going to be surprised if he calls it a career.  I'll also not be surprised if he plays for all the reasons you listed.  I do think that it really is up in the air or he would have already announced 

I hope im wrong about williams  retiring  cause  i think i can safely speak on behalf of every canes fan  in saying   we  want him back another year .     But  as i said last month that if Williams is  not signed   by august than he would retire .   I've heard people disagree with me  on this but their explanations  as to why they see him coming back make no sense at all .    If anything it shows me that Williams  is wondering if his body  can go another season  and  if  he can then there is no question  to himself or anyone else ,  the decision would of been made already  to sign already .  Dragging it out  only tells me   that he is not sure if he can go another year . 

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

Rem, you listed all the pluses of him playing again.  None of us can imagine what it does to the body (and the mind) to do this year after year.  I'm just not going to be surprised if he calls it a career.  I'll also not be surprised if he plays for all the reasons you listed.  I do think that it really is up in the air or he would have already announced

I'm guessing that Willy is struggling more with the mental aspects of coming back than the physical ones.  Even though the team is better on paper, last year was special (huge second half surge to make the playoffs, beating the defending Stanley Cup champs, sweeping the Isles to make the EC finals, and the Storm Surge speaks for itself).  If Willie wants to ensure he ends his career goes out on especially high note, all things considered, last season could be tough to match, let alone exceed.  The self imposed pressure could be huge.  On the other hand, he could see playing again as an opportunity to pick up where we left off and maybe finish the job. 

When do the Canes start gathering to skate informally?  That might provide some insight if Willy doesn't announce a decision before then.

31 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

When do the Canes start gathering to skate informally?  That might provide some insight if Willy doesn't announce a decision before then.

September after the 2nd week .  

53 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I'm guessing that Willy is struggling more with the mental aspects of coming back than the physical ones.  Even though the team is better on paper, last year was special (huge second half surge to make the playoffs, beating the defending Stanley Cup champs, sweeping the Isles to make the EC finals, and the Storm Surge speaks for itself).  If Willie wants to ensure he ends his career goes out on especially high note, all things considered, last season could be tough to match, let alone exceed.  The self imposed pressure could be huge.  On the other hand, he could see playing again as an opportunity to pick up where we left off and maybe finish the job. 

It's as high of a high note to end on without actually hoisting The Cup.  I do think it's a factor.  He captained the Canes back to relevance.

3 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Maybe I'm making the case a bit. He did look exhausted after that last Boston game. Also, players typically don't want to retire, but are forced into it. J Williams could be different though. I am probably also weighing in that Adam Gold said he talked to Williams over the off season and would be very surprised if he didn't return. I do agree that it is not a given. I'm betting on a return, but not betting it all. 

I think he comes back, and don't see the downside that others do in his delay--or what quite possibly is being marketed as a delay. Season ticket holders who intended to re-up already have, and the org's chances of selling those on the fence improve the closer to the start of the season we are when he announces he'll be back.

If he is genuinely questioning whether he has another season and playoff run in him, the team could promise him fewer minutes per night; he averaged 17.5 per game last year. But I don't see him accepting that. Real leaders want to lead, and that means doing whatever the coach asks. If we know nothing else about him, we know JW's a real leader. So if he doesn't come back, it's sure to be because he doesn't think he can do "whatever it takes" for another full season and playoff run.

Edited by top-shelf-1
typos

With how savvy the marketing department has been I wouldn't be surprised if the Canes and Williams know he's coming back and it's being saved to incite hype late in the offseason to get the fans amped for the season.

Williams is a very loyal Hurricane. He knows not telling the team by now would have hurt the team to prep without him.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

Adding to the mix. This is the dead zone for hockey. Even us junkies can't find much to talk about this time of year. If the team and it's Captain want to create a little buzz for momentum, they would probably time the announcement just a bit before camp starts.

• Like 1

Yes rem, I agree. The "dog days" breed all kinds of hallucinations and shortened tempers leaving us all to fears and phobias? But not much longer now. Wonder how many of our players stuck around Raleigh, or how soon a few will be filtering back? Am I correct in thinking Slavin sticks around? Do a few others or do they all seek more exotic locales to train?

Crickets.......................................................................................................................